IGNORED

Josh, Anna and the Ms 15: now with Mason

laPapessaGiovanna

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't bother me that Josh napped while Anna was in labor.  If he ate something would that be equally as offensive?  

On 9/19/2017 at 2:29 PM, HarryPotterFan said:

As long as he gets cuddles from Moose, I'm sure my cat would have no problem with shipping Destiel. At least he hasn't said anything to me about it...

And I would fully support a movie about Destiel raising Claire with the help of Uncle Moose. I desperately want that to happen.

I tweeted a photo of my cat watching Supernatural and tagged Jared. Sadly he hasn't seen it. HIS LOSS.

As long as no one is shipping Wincest....

2 hours ago, Elvis Presby said:

It doesn't bother me that Josh napped while Anna was in labor.  If he ate something would that be equally as offensive?  

But when you're eating during labor....you're still....there..

3 hours ago, Elvis Presby said:

Not equally, but I wouldn't be too happy with my husband if he was eating when I might be hungry and unable to do anything about it. Solidarity and all that.

Obviously some situations are special (like a super long labor), but if I have to go 12 hours with food and be in a lot of pain in order to give birth to OUR child, then I feel like it could be the least he could do not to eat around me. 

46 minutes ago, brusselsgriffon said:

Depends upon what the person is eating. During the labor of one of our children I was about to rip the face off one of the nurses. She came in, spoke to me very close to my face with breath that could kill Dracula, and season a Cesaer salad. If I hadn't been in the middle of a contraction, I would have thrown altoids at her.

My husband has napped thru parts most of our deliveries. I watched all of the International Version of Red Cliff during the labor of our 6th child. My husband slept thru the movie, woke up in time for delivery. Heck, our 5th child was present thru that labor and slept thru it too. Active labor is when I need help, and my active labor is very-very-short. So if he napped from like 0-5/6 cm dilation it wouldn't be too big a deal. Once I (and this is just me, not most women) hit about 7 cm baby will arrive within minutes. Transition for me is about 1-2 contractions TOTAL. My husband doesn't eat around me because I'm generally not allowed to eat anything during labor by hospital policy once I hit a certain point in labor. Eating in front of a hungry laboring woman that isn't allowed to eat anything is a special kind of torture. 

4 hours ago, Elvis Presby said:

Hell yeah. I wasn't allowed food while I was in labor, so I'd have been pissed as all git out.

9 hours ago, brusselsgriffon said:

Frankly i would havemordered my husband if he broight food into the room while i was denied to eat and was starving during a 24 hour labour! He left to eat with my blessing. Men are great support but also panic and tryto overcompensate at times

My husband rose and said "I'm cold. I'm going to put on my coat" and I thought about murder.  There is nothing they can say or do for their own comfort during labor that is acceptable. They need to keep quiet and nod. 

8 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

They need to keep quiet and nod. 

...and apologize. For everything.

The fact is that Anna and everyone else told Josh to go lie down. It had been a long labour, and they didn't expect it to be over anytime soon. I can completely understand wanting at least one of them to be able to get some rest. Should he have not listened to her? There are so many things I despise about Josh, so many things he's done that I think are absolutely appalling, but this isn't one of them. I also don't understand what the big deal is about Anna giving birth in the bathroom. Making fun of her for that seems unnecessarily cruel, and also weird. I mean, it worked.

My hospital told my DH to get some sleep during my labors, and he did. Both were over night, so if DH stayed up he'd have been up for 24 hours by the time I gave birth. They tried to get me to sleep, too (I had magical epidurals), but I couldn't get any sleep. 

4 hours ago, HOTW said:

Frankly i would havemordered my husband if he broight food into the room while i was denied to eat and was starving during a 24 hour labour! He left to eat with my blessing. Men are great support but also panic and tryto overcompensate at times

I never even thought about that! As someone who's never given birth, I should probably stay out of labor discussions lol 

When my older sister was in the middle of giving birth, the food-lady came in with a cart and asked who would like what. 

My sister asked, "What the fuck was wrong with her," and my brother-in-law wisely kept from asking for something from the cart. 

21 hours ago, singsingsing said:

And are they going to cancel their mission now that their hero Donald Trump is insulting Puerto Ricans and saying they want everything done for them? I mean on every other issue these people seem to put Trump ahead of Jesus, so why not now?

God, the GALL of those Puerto Ricans! How DARE they ask for help from their OWN country!

19 hours ago, llg1234 said:

Not equally, but I wouldn't be too happy with my husband if he was eating when I might be hungry and unable to do anything about it. Solidarity and all that.

Obviously some situations are special (like a super long labor), but if I have to go 12 hours with food and be in a lot of pain in order to give birth to OUR child, then I feel like it could be the least he could do not to eat around me. 

Sorry for the maybe silly question but... when a woman in labor is hungry, why can't she eat something? Wouldn't it be fine to eat as long as you feel like it? 

17 minutes ago, FluffySnowball said:

Sorry for the maybe silly question but... when a woman in labor is hungry, why can't she eat something? Wouldn't it be fine to eat as long as you feel like it? 

You're not supposed to have surgery with food in your stomach. If an emergency c-section is needed, it could cause more complications than necessary. There's a lot of debate about the current enforcement of it in hospitals though. In the US, they're very strict about all that. Some think it's too extreme and rigid. Idk how it is in other countries, though.

ETA: Here's a pretty to the point article about it

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-pregnancy-labor-food/eating-during-labor-may-be-safe-even-beneficial-for-women-idUSKBN15O2ZR

8 hours ago, singsingsing said:

The fact is that Anna and everyone else told Josh to go lie down. It had been a long labour, and they didn't expect it to be over anytime soon. I can completely understand wanting at least one of them to be able to get some rest. Should he have not listened to her? There are so many things I despise about Josh, so many things he's done that I think are absolutely appalling, but this isn't one of them. I also don't understand what the big deal is about Anna giving birth in the bathroom. Making fun of her for that seems unnecessarily cruel, and also weird. I mean, it worked.

Very true. I think it is more that they chose to air that footage.

Again, Anna probably did not have much say in that. 

32 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

Very true. I think it is more that they chose to air that footage.

Again, Anna probably did not have much say in that. 

True, true. I guess I always figured it was no worse than filming her giving birth in bed, on the couch, in a tub, or anywhere else. I'm glad for her sake that at least she doesn't have to be filmed during childbirth anymore (I sincerely hope, anyway).

Had a baby last December. I was allowed water, ice, or juice. I opted for Apple juice because I had been violently sick the entire day and needed the sugar to help power me through. I think other Doctors and hospitals have loosened up a bit in recent years though.

Husband had snacks from the snack station, which he ate in front of me. I had zero issues with that personally and I was actually pretty hungry at that point. I was just glad he wasn't starving too. I also didn't mind that he was sleeping either - I was admitted just after 8:00 at night and gave birth just before 6:30 the next morning, so I was glad he got some rest. I did too, but it was interrupted a bunch by Nurses checking up on me (I was cool with that. My Nurses were really nice. They loved having me so much that they told me to come back and gave another baby soon when I was transferred to recovery. :pb_lol:

So I agree with @singsingsing. If they were all telling Josh to go nap, including Anna, then I don't see an issue. At least one of them had some rest once the baby arrived.

9 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

They use the argument about surgeey and the danger but part of it is the fact that most women who have eaten will throw up during transition to empty the stomach for pushing. Its quite well documented by midwives who allow their low risk mom to eat in labour. 

I was in labor with my oldest for 20 hours.  All I had in my stomach for that entire time was Gatorade, water, and broth.  By the time he was born at 4:30 in the morning, I was famished.  I wasn’t allowed to eat until they moved me from labor and delivery to maternity.  I wasn’t allowed to be moved until I could walk to the bathroom and pee on my own.  It took me forever to do that because my epidural was slow to wear off.  I finally get to my new room and it takes another 30 minutes for food to be brought up.  I went something like 26 hours without food.

So when contractions started with my youngest, I insisted on getting something in my stomach and ate two scrambled eggs.  Of course, I was only in labor for 9 hours and had no issues so it probably wasn’t all that necessary.  

I honestly wasn't thinking about food or eating at all when I was in labor. Even if I had been hungry, I can't imagine wanting to eat solid food while having contractions. You're basically having the worst stomach ache of your life so the thought of putting food on top of that just does not sound appealing to me. YMMV, of course. My hospital did allow women in labor to have water, ice, and popsicles.

Yeah I was also one of those who couldn't care less about food. I didn't eat for about 14 hours by the time I had my c-section, then it was maybe 3-4 hours after that they brought me some broth and I promptly vomited that too. I remember eating something at dinner but don't know what it was and I definitely had little interest in food for like a couple of days. Then on day 3 I ate a whole pizza and it was everything I thought it would be and more!

It didn't bother me at all that DH was eating or drinking. I actively encouraged him to go across the street and get Starbucks, or make sure he ran to the hospital cafeteria before it closed for a burger in the evening etc. I don't get this concept of joint suffering...

13 hours ago, HOTW said:

They use the argument about surgeey and the danger but part of it is the fact that most women who have eaten will throw up during transition to empty the stomach for pushing. Its quite well documented by midwives who allow their low risk mom to eat in labour. 

I toured a birthing center last week and they had snacks for the moms and dads. The mom snacks needed to be checked out and noted, but all seemed to be quick glucose breakdown and nothing that would be too unfortunate if it came back up (I'm looking at you triscuit thin crisps, you're delicious and relatively healthy until round two and were nowhere in sight).  

It really depends place to place with the food, my first OB was in Texas at a practice that will not even consider a VBAC after C-section and once you check in there is no food, you're put in the hospital bed and strapped into monitors until birth. My second OB and midwives in WA would have used wireless monitoring with regular fetal checks while encouraging you to move about and do whatever is the most comfortable until it's push time. Same pregnancy, same insurance plan, just different underlying approaches to the process.

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived