IGNORED

Jinder's Dresses: A Very Subjective Rundown/Review of all Duggar Wedding Gowns

Jinder Roles

I like Jinger's dress best if I am getting married.

I like Jessa's dress best for just piddling around the house or running errands--bank, dry cleaner, grocery store.  I think it would take the drudgery out of my day.

• Upvote 14

Alright, after watching a few minutes of the JoKen wedding, I've decided I don't like the ruffles of Kendra's dress as much as I thought I would. The ruffles near the top didn't lay down very well, and the added bottom strip of ruffles from her mom's dress stood out too much for my taste. Still a beautiful dress, but I think I like Jessa's a bit better. So my revised dress ranking is:

1. Jinger

2. Jessa

3. Kendra

4. Amy

5. Joy

6. Jill

7. Anna

• Upvote 3

This topic makes me want to get married again.  Shall I break the news to Mr Jozina that I'm upgrading him so I can wear a sparkly white dress again?

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1

On 9/17/2017 at 7:54 PM, MarbleRainbow said:

I've actually compiled a 12 page wedding planning document with all the tips and what no to do's and other random wedding planning stuff since I got married almost 5 years ago.

I'd love a copy of that! I'm in the check things off without a fuss, but am afraid I'll miss things and my sweet friends have gotten me quite confused on the what to do/what not to do combined with expectation setting of different wedding cultures (he's super thrilled about the groom's cake tradition though, thinks it's fantastic).

Jinger: Gorgeous, I loved the cathedral train, but from some angles the bunching or padding was noticeable.

Joy: I have a hard time seeing her whole dress because my eyes go straight to the sleeves and can't look away, though it's traditional in a nice way.

Jessa: Fun and a bit unexpected, but pretty for a young bride.

Jill: The alterations draw the eye like Joy's and I think it was a cut that had either already gone out of style or was lingering.

Anna: Fit and it's hard for anyone to be really complimented by stark white.

Kendra: Seems like she went for her dream dress, got it and rocked it. 

If y'all just really love wedding dresses, I'll happily post mine! I'm in the process of sorting out a modesty alteration (which sleeve cut, attached or removable) and would love advice.

• Upvote 12

All this wedding dress talk has me googling gowns. I've never been married before, and until recently had given up on dating, but a new love in my life has me starry eyed. Logistically speaking, the wedding bells won't happen anytime soon, but as a fashion designer, I have an appreciation for couture techniques  ahd beautiful fabrics.

As for what I'd wear to wed, I'll likely be one of those brides with complicated desires who takes awhile to make decisions. A part of me would even consider making my own gown. In any case, I'm a huge fan of the mermaid silhouette, high-low hems, beaded lace illusion work, and gowns that aren't white. I'm definitely unconventional, and would want the wedding to be an fun party with dancing and karaoke.

• Upvote 11

The hard part for me was being short and having a good sized butt. First time around my ex and I went fully formal. I found a lovely off-white satin brocade that worked, elbow length veil and an updo. Second time was in Key West and I had a white cotton sundress with turquoise embroidery, a sparkly headband and my natural curls left down. The first dress was for everyone saying I needed a poofy gown, and I was 19. The second time was what I wanted and it really suited my personality. This is sort of it, but lighter turquoise instead of blue.

Screenshot_20170920-010914.jpg

Edited by Shadoewolf
Pics added
  • Upvote 12

Omg yasssss dresses!!!! Okay so here is my list in order of favorites, including Anna and bridesmaids, because I love this shit! Yay!

1) Jinger. Her's was the only dress, maybe even presentation that said, how beautiful! How classic! Maybe I should get a divorce so I can get married again just to wear a dress like that! I loved that she wore her hair up, and her makeup was on point.

2)Amy. I have tits. I know the big tit struggle. With that said I rocked out a strapless not unlike this at my wedding, and I am oddly partial to this one. Also it's like a big fuck you to her family, so I support it.

3)Kendra. It's just pretty. I can't really think of anything negative to say about it. I wish her hair was up, and I hated her flowers, but I think her dress was just pretty.

4) Anna) I know. Unpopular opinion. However, unlike joy's I remember what it looked like, and considering it wasn't really her dress, she rocked out the look. With all of that in mind, you know no one was running fingers through that hair, and her dreamy voice was creepy.

5) Jessa. Her dress would have been pretty if she was going to senior prom, with the loose hair and all the pink, but for a wedding I just, I don't know. I wasn't feeling it so much.

6) Joy. I don't remember her dress, but I do remember the disappointment I felt when I saw it, so yeah.

7) Jill. Oh Jill. I just never thought of that dress for you. I hated the top, I hated the bottom, the middle was okay, but yeah, the hair wasn't horrible.

Now for the bridesmaids!!'

1) Amy. Omg gold!!! Lots and lots of gold! 

2) Joy. So I was pretty meh about Joy's dress, but I kind of loved her bridesmaids dresses. Whoever made that dicision for her did a good job. 

3) Kendra. I just liked how the dresses looked great on everyone.

4) Jinger. Okay. So hear me out. I liked her bridesmaids dresses. The style was very cute, but Jill's dress clashed and it ruined the look for me in general.  It was one of those learn from this moments about different colored dresses.

5) Anna. Hey. I mean I got married around the same time Anna did, and those were just how bridesmaids dresses were rocking back then. They weren't bad, they  were just a decade earlier than the rest.

6) Jill. They were okay without the underskirt that took a decent dress into howdie doodie time rhelms of hillbilly couture.  To her credit, those dresses were very much Jill's style and at least she didn't have them wearing cowboy boots with them.

7) Jessa. Good lord sweet baby Jesus she found the wish app.

• Upvote 9

For me it was as followed:

1) Jinger, I'm a big fan of huge trains. I would never wear one for my wedding since I actually like to dance but it looks so pretty on pictures!

2) Kendra, she looks so cute! Although she is also looks like a cake-topper, I still find her adorable. The big smile from both of them might also help

3) Jessa, I agree it looks more like a prom-dress but don't blame her for throwing a prom she never had. I don't like the fact that she lost so much weight that she looks like a bobble head.

4) Amy, quite simple but she looks good in it. Not very special but it just looks like it fits her taste. She gets a lot of points deducted though for her reception-dress, which made her look like a guest.

5) Anna, not bad not great, but probably as good as she could do with the resources and options available.

6) Joy, it looks like she didn't care and just picked a dress fast because she wanted to get married as soon as possible. Which was probably the case.

7) Jill, that thing just looked so weird

8) Michelle's vow renawel, just no.

Bridesmaids I cannot really judge since I don't know anything about bridesmaids except for some TLC shows, we don't have them here in weddings. I always think it looks stupid to have all these girls wearing the same dress and walking with you down the aisle like some props. I liked that Jingers dresses at least showed some differences but another color palette would have been better, especially Jill's didn't fit the other colors.

• Upvote 5

On 9/17/2017 at 10:54 PM, MarbleRainbow said:

In another life, I would be a wedding planner (love getting all the details right, I LOVE making lists, and creating fun decorations, but with chronic health issues I just don't have the energy and patience for dumb things and drama that arise).
I've actually compiled a 12 page wedding planning document with all the tips and what no to do's and other random wedding planning stuff since I got married almost 5 years ago.

Is this something you'd be willing to share with an Internet stranger? I'm planning my wedding now and would love to read it. 

• Upvote 4

Alrighty! I'll throw it behind a spoiler again, I'm leaning towards a detachable set of sleeves either worn over or tucked in with a few buttons on the inside so it looks attached. The last wedding I was in, that's how hers was and we just undid those buttons when we did the bustle.  I'd like to still be able to wear it strapless, but also have photos for the more modest parts of the family where they won't be defrauded or whatever.  

Sleeve cut is where I'm struggling, I like the idea of sheer peasant sleeves around the elbow from the fabric we'll have to take off the bottom,  though tighter longer sleeves would work as well. We're getting married in a botanical garden and dress has a leaves and vine pattern. My hair will be half up, with flowers and likely some braided detail. It's long, mid back, hangs about to my elbows when I've calmed the spiral curls to waves.

It wasn't what I expected to pick at all and a bit fluffy for me, but that's easy enough to remove the tulle (though the menfolk are all wanting more fluff, hoop skirt style of poof and I have no idea why).

Just want to google it if you're mobile? Amsale Waldorf and I'm very happy I did not pay any of those crazy prices seen online.  It's not zipped up on me and is waay too long, the kitty was no help, though you can see her peeking at it, before deciding the dress was terrifying. 

Spoiler

20170901_191907.thumb.jpg.61c65f19fa61a6b9a37c5cbe0aa06a2b.jpgfull_length.thumb.jpg.8510ad7d0d7978c4994a4375d7513af2.jpg

Since that was long. Sleeve thoughts! Sash or middle thoughts! Veil ideas! I don't have a photo of the back, but it has a small train. 

Edited by cascarones
I make no sense sometimes
  • Upvote 13

That is a very beautiful dress.  Do you need to modify it with sleeves for just the ceremony or do you want to be more covered all day?  If just for the ceremony you could take a look at a topper to wear over the dress.

• Upvote 9

I added straps to my wedding dress, because I didn't want to be adjusting my bust all night. Oh man, I loved that dress.

It had a corset back, and my photographer said it was the first time a bride said to make the corset strings as loose as possible when tying it up. Ummmm, yeah. I would rather feel good all day than be uncomfortable and not able to breathe. I spent a year planning my wedding. Dammit, I was going to enjoy it. Skinny waist be damned.

So, I'm attaching pics, because I just loved my dress. I don't know if you can tell, but it faded to a blush color on the bottom. Jessa and I are similar in our passion for blush, I guess.

As for Duggar dresses, 1) Tie between Kendra and Jinger 2 )Jessa 3)  Amy  4)  Joy 5) Jill 6) Anna 7) Michelle's monstrosity

Screenshot_2015-11-01-09-33-14-1.png

20170920_115800.png

• Upvote 20

@cascarones Your dress is beautiful! I like your idea of simple attached sleeves buttoned on the inside as not to take away from the detailing of the bodice, or make the bodice too bulky. 

I think these tops would look nice (with different or no appliqués). Obviously, you'll decide the best sleeve length. 

Spoiler

57b704433a64197584e319b6906e06c8--beaded

2016-house-of-mooshki-wedding-dresses-de

6eb3594e2d997403a110a3c66ff74c10--bridal

Or you could choose a more v-neck detachable sleeve! Or you could go jewel neckline in the front and a v-line in the back. 

I'm not sure of your preferences on veil volume or length but fingertip, waltz and floor length are nice. Maybe like these?

Spoiler

e6a6b2687f77132298c5631370734ab7.jpg

3824f05b04e37f8f6581ab82c82ca3b4.jpg

bcffb46ca48aa2d0d5879ed86d315dca.jpg

As for sashes, you certain don't need one but you could do a simple ivory or one with beading if you want some bling. Or a blush/rose gold one for a pop of colour! I think a thinner sash would look good with your dress (as not to take away from the beautiful a-line cut) 

Spoiler

a775334220790616434b49022ce7f80d.jpg

f9c3e604d7b6c513f64d13b552ba01a7.jpg

Wow, sorry for being a little excessive but wedding dresses make me excited. I hope this wasn't unhelpful or overwhelming. Honestly, the best thing is that you're comfortable and like your dress. You'll be a beautiful bride! Congrats again. :) 

• Upvote 7

My wedding dress story:

When my little sister was getting married, I went shopping with her.  We were shopping in Essex, which I guess has New Jersey connotations, maybe?  But the shop had everything from sleek minimalism (my sister's style) to the most insane dresses that could stand up by themselves.  It was fun!

My sister hadn't planned on having a veil, though, but the assistant put a just-below-shoulder-length one on her, and we just looked at each other, and were "wow".  So I bought her her veil, as a special present from her big sister - and it was this cute surprise for her husband, who hadn't been expecting it at all.  It had little Swarovski crystals in it, because they're a joke between us two, and I was so, so proud to have given her this little, unexpected part of her day.

Edited by Lurky
  • Upvote 21

@candygirl200413 Here is a better view of my beaded bodice. You can tell more about the beadwork in the photo below, as well as telling how it's a bit blush in the skirt. The beading on the bodice matched the beading at the bottom of the train. As for the straps, I just asked my bridal shop's seamstress to add them. Easily done, and they had beads on them, too!

Also, I want to add the bridal party decided to do an afterparty at the Blazing Saddle, which is a gay bar here in Des Moines. Turns out, they were holding Leather Night that night and everybody wanted a picture with me. My second wedding anniversary is coming up Sept. 26!

I'm glad you're low-key obsessed with it. I still am, too!

20170920_162506.png

20170920_162217.png

• Upvote 18

I love this thread. I agree with @Jinder Roles's rankings almost 100%. Meechelle's Vow Removal dress was an absolute travesty. And it was so pitiful to see her obviously desperate to reclaim the blooming happiness of being a blushing bride again. Ugh, that whole episode. Jill is such a snot. It isn't surprising at all that her dress was a similarly mangled oddity to her mother's.

Jinger's dress is far and away my favourite. She clearly has taste, because her whole wedding was elegant and lovely. I wish that taste was accompanied by a belief in evolution, but whatev.

• Upvote 8

I lost the baby pools, but way back when I posted a wedding detail breakdown, I guessed Kendra would choose a ball gown style wedding dress and pink bridesmaid dresses. 

Here are my rankings and please excuse formatting. I'm on my phone and too tired to care about punctuation or grammar right now.

Groomsmen:

1 Ben - an overall nice cohesive look and flattering color scheme, looks like navy suits with light blue shirts, all men in pink bow ties and suspenders, bonus points for matching shoes, nice shoes

2 Jeremy -groom in a dark blue suit with light blue shirt and a red tie, groomsmen in brown with light blue shirts and blue ties, just a bit too much going on, but overall nice color scheme 

3 Austin - groom in blue, groomsmen in grey with blue ties, a little boring, but bonus points for having a senior citizen as a groomsman

4 Josh - all black with light grey ties, a little morbid, but classic color scheme didn't overpower Anna's simple, classic dress

5 Derick - groomsmen in light grey with mint ties, complimented the colors of the bridal party, minus points for Derick's out of place coral tie, dark grey would have brought it together. Not sure why, but reminded me of a barber shop band 

6 Joe - Not quite navy with pink ties, ring bearers clashing in darker suits 

7 Whoever Amy married - N/A I don't have the willpower to Google it

Wedding Dress Rankings: 

1 Kendra - most contemporary 
2 Jinger - most elegant 
3 Jessa - points for color choice
4 Joy - forgettable
5 Anna - simple and classic
6 Jill - the bottom half and the waist are pretty, too bad the modifications made the top half stick off her body in a distracting way
7 Amy - I don't want to see her boobs, too much boob, but the sash is a nice touch 

Bridesmaids - 

1 Joy - classic navy, looked nice on the entire wedding party, beautiful bouquets

2 Jinger - I love color, but I didn't immediately like the clashing colors of the wedding party. It grew on me. The dresses individually flatter each woman, give each person their own personality and look, but still tying it all together with the same style of dress, and they fit well.
3 Kendra - she's pink, the bridesmaid dresses are pink, but not a childish pink, a mature cut and fit, they're flattering and modest, a nice dinner dress

4 Amy - gold, form fitting but didn't overpower the bride 
5 Jill - kill me, but I like the mint, the layered additions are falling apart at the hem, and as one poster mentioned, overall look is a bit childish 
6 Anna - I think it was determined that these are navy taffeta, a bit on the 80's/early 90's side
7 Jessa - coral clashed with the blush wedding dress, the top half looked cheap in expense, and also cheap, as in a little bit hootchie 

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, cascarones said:

Sleeve cut is where I'm struggling, I like the idea of sheer peasant sleeves around the elbow from the fabric we'll have to take off the bottom,  though tighter longer sleeves would work as well. We're getting married in a botanical garden and dress has a leaves and vine pattern. My hair will be half up, with flowers and likely some braided detail. It's long, mid back, hangs about to my elbows when I've calmed the spiral curls to waves.

It wasn't what I expected to pick at all and a bit fluffy for me, but that's easy enough to remove the tulle (though the menfolk are all wanting more fluff, hoop skirt style of poof and I have no idea why).

Just want to google it if you're mobile? Amsale Waldorf and I'm very happy I did not pay any of those crazy prices seen online.  It's not zipped up on me and is waay too long, the kitty was no help, though you can see her peeking at it, before deciding the dress was terrifying. 

Since that was long. Sleeve thoughts! Sash or middle thoughts! Veil ideas! I don't have a photo of the back, but it has a small train. 

I like the idea of sleeves you could button to the bodice; I think an off-the-shoulder look would work best, but I have no idea how sewing works, so...yeah. Maybe you could also do a lace overshirt or topper; I've seen those and they can look rather nice.

But I'm also obsessed with your dress in general. I like the subtlety of the pattern a lot.

• Upvote 4

Michelled looked the best at this wedding compared to all the others.  Her hair looked good, her dress was pretty, though a bit too formal for the rest of the occasion.  But she looked good.  She really looks good for having 19 kids.  Don't like her much, but she must have some good genetics in there.

• Upvote 2

I'm getting married in October. The sleeves on my dress are elbow length, but otherwise, this is my dress *heart eyes emoji*

Spoiler

Screenshot_2017-06-17-14-16-13.png

Edited by Baaaaaabe
I can't figure out how to put the picture in the spoiler.
  • Upvote 23
  • Love 1

@SadieJane You nailed it. I agree with every single word, although my rankings were a little bit different than yours based on personal preference, but all of your comments were spot on. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

@SadieJane You nailed it. I agree with every single word, although my rankings were a little bit different than yours based on personal preference, but all of your comments were spot on. 

Yes, but I love how you went with groomsmen too. I just didnt have the patience for that. lmao . My wedding dress looked like a doily, but fuck if I didn't love it.

• Upvote 5

On September 17, 2017 at 7:54 PM, MarbleRainbow said:

In another life, I would be a wedding planner (love getting all the details right, I LOVE making lists, and creating fun decorations, but with chronic health issues I just don't have the energy and patience for dumb things and drama that arise).
I've actually compiled a 12 page wedding planning document with all the tips and what no to do's and other random wedding planning stuff since I got married almost 5 years ago. I actually wrote it up for my brother-in-law and his now wife, but I don't think they even read it really (they were  HORRIBLE at making decisions on time and actually concretely deciding on things and complained about how hard wedding planning was...when my hubbie and I were more than willing to help with anything). Anyways, other friends have been happy to read through it though, so I feel like it's actually helped someone out, just not who I originally wrote it for. 

I would love a copy, even though I'm single with no wedding in sight. I love making lists and I already have a decent folder started with wedding menus and desserts. (Priorities.) Didn't choose a dress or a man yet, but I am narrowing down the dessert list. 

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic