IGNORED

Jinder's Dresses: A Very Subjective Rundown/Review of all Duggar Wedding Gowns

Jinder Roles

I love coral.  I'd sooner wear Jessa's bridesmaid dress than the mint one or those jewel coloured ones from Jinger. And the navy with white doily thing from Jinger's was way uglier as a preggo wedding dress than the coral.

I give Anna a big pass because in 10 or so years I bet some of these dresses will be a bit cringeworthy in ways we can't guess now, plus regular wedding dresses are so much more likely to have sleeves on them now than they were then that there are so many more options. I got married not long after they did and hated sleeveless dresses because I hate my arms and arms. The only readily available options were the t-shirt numbers and they were almost all ugly. One of my best friends is getting married in two months and going shopping with her I was majorly envious of all of the dresses with sleeves and/or shoulders covered.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'm guessing that was auto correct, vowel removal instead of vow renewal. It made me laugh.

Yes, @marmalade is correct! Also a mini-homage to the amazing Vowel Renewals of the classy Jill Rod and her tubby hubby. 

• Upvote 8

ooooooooooooh i love looking at dresses, i'm so in on this! I actually have a pinterest board entirely of wedding dresses that I think would suit various women (real or fictional) --- because playing dressup for myself isn't enough for my imagination haha. if I knew how to include spoilers I'd attach my preferences over some of the, ahem, *less-fortunate* Duggar wedding looks....

Wedding gowns

1. Jinger: Absolutely a showstopper, as many have said. Impractical, as many have said, but I don't think she cared (though, imagine having to use the restroom after you put that thing on....now *that* is a fair reason for any bride not to stay at the reception for very long lol). Normally I don't like 3/4 sleeves, but it worked super well on Jinger. Some of the other Duggar fam brides have looked like princesses, but Jinge was the motherfucking QUEEN. yaaaaaas. slay. damn gurl. and then more bonus points for the hair and shoes :P

2. Kendra: Elegantly sparkly bodice, dramatic (but in a fun, youthful way) skirt, overall really lovely. and very "her"! If I put a dress like that on, it would wear me, haha. but Kendra pulls it off! Very classy. I only wish she'd done an updo rather than princess-waves, to show off the bodice more. 

3. Jessa: beautiful beautiful dress, no hideous alterations, LOVE that she went with blush. It just didn't seem very Jessa to me (too floofy haha), but she loved it and that's all that matters. 

4. Amy: modesty aside, I'd put Amy right in the middle of her cousins. I loved the simplicity, but it was just too much damn boobs!

5. Anna: had her dress fit well, it would have been alright. It looked well-made, at least? There's nothing wrong with simple, in fact there are wedding dresses that are completely strikingly stunning *because* of their simplicity, but Anna's was just too loose.

6. Joy: A hodge-podge-y dress that looks like it. I guess it's good that Joy got exactly what she wanted, apparently, I just wouldn't have imagined her wanting *that*. She says she likes simple things....but I can perfectly imagine little-Joy looking at it and thinking, eugh so stiff and fitted and itchy-scratchy lace! I'd have preferred her in something with softer lace, with sleeves that didn't cut right at the elbow (maybe looser short sleeves?), and perhaps even a looser-lined bodice with a sash rather than the very strictly-defined waistline seam that she had. 

7. Jill: One of those dresses that doesn't look bad from far away, but from close up the alterations just killed it. Also, the ribbon-ruching detail that was the highlight of the original dress just isn't my thing lol. 

Bridesmaid dresses

1) Jinger: I know I posted it at some point on the wedding-era JinJer thread, but i LOVED her color-mix. I even liked alllll the different shades and don't wish she'd kept it to 3 or 4 haha. I do wish she'd gone with only 1-2 reds instead of 4, and added second shades of pink/purple so that Jill and Johannah didn't stick out so much, but other than that I think Jinger's were the perfect modest bridesmaid outfit. 

2) Joy: everyone looks good in navy blue :). simple, re-wearable, can be dressed up or down. Looks similar to what I'd go with for my wedding. The only things I didn't like were that long-sleeves seemed incongruous with a late-May wedding, and then the doily thingies on Jill's MOH dress.

3) Kendra: same as Joy's, Kendra's bridesmaid dresses are simple and versatile. The blush-color just didn't look as good on some. Also, not a big fan of the allover-lace thing, but oh well.

4) Jill: nothing wrong with casual bridesmaid dresses.....everything wrong with poorly-designed alterations (Jana did the best she could though!). I thought the dresses would be cute summer dresses prior to alterations, but the extra mint and white panels added on just killed it (one white lace tier would've been ok, I think). 

5) Anna: didn't like the color, the material is stiff and old-fashioned and frumpy, but I appreciate that they were simple and formal. 

6) Jessa: I HATED THOSE THINGS. wtf even was that ruffle on the bodice. just, ugh. the end.

Edited by ihaveanexamintwodays
  • Upvote 9

My picks for best to worst bridal dresses:

1. Jinger. Elegent, modest, and fit Jinger's personality.

2. Jessa. Fun, outgoing with the pink, and again it fit her personality.

3. Amy. Modern, stylish and she looked happy in it.

4. Kendra. Young and fresh like the bride.

5. Anna. I commend her for all the work she did on it. It wasn't perfect but it looked better than the last 2 on the list, and they had a lot of money to spend on their dresses.

6. Joy. She said it was 3 dresses made into one and it really looked like it. Messy.

7. Jill. The fit was terrible. Too baggy, too long (if she had have worn bloody shoes the length would have been better) and a mess.

And now I'm going off to board my private jet to go to fashion week, dah-lings :pb_lol:

• Upvote 14

1. Kendra - a bit flashy for my personal style but I did love the dress the most. It suited her and was modest but not overtly modest with patchwork. 

2. Jessa - I'll admit I loved the dress but I hated the blush on Jessa. I think it can work but I didn't love the colour which seems to be every body's favourite part. 

3. Jinger. Elegant and modest and I think it fit Jinger's personal style. Although a bit matronly still(i know the style of sleeves is popular but still a bit too holier than thou for my liking) 

4. Anna. Her dress was simple and modest and they weren't famous so they weren't having flashy weddings. I think it suited her for the time and her personality then. 

5. Amy. I actually hated how boobalicious her dress was. Just not my style. But it suited her so I'll give her a pass. 

6. Joy. If that dress was one dress it would have been beautiful. My favourite even BUT it was such a patchwork that you can tell. Screams too much of being modest to me when you have to ruin a dress like that. 

7. Jill. Her dress didn't fit her and the patchwork modesty was just BAD. It was a total mess. 

• Upvote 8

12 hours ago, Lurky said:

I assumed it's because the USA tradition is bridesmaids usually buy their own clothes?  In the UK, if a bride wants them all matching, she pays.

ETA If I were the Duggars, I'd get the older married daughters a pair of the same, neutral coloured shoes on some bulk deal, because they'll have at least 1 wedding a year for, well, ever, and it seems like all the Duggar daughters have to be BMs for Duggar sons.  Although so many will be pregnant for the next, well, ever, half will probably be in comfy sandals for the next eleventy weddings...

That's probably it.

Though I've always paid for my shoes when I've been a bridesmaid (Australian). That's part of the fun - getting to know the other bridesmaids better while we all grumble about how it has taken us 8 hours of walking through the sydney CBD to find a pair of shoes and wouldn't you think there would be more to choose from?! :D

As for ranking their dresses, I can't decide. I like the sparkly top of Kendra's and the colour of Jessa's. I like Jinger's sleeves and neckline. But I don't love any of them in their entirety.

Here's my guilty confession.

I think Anna's dress would nearly be my top pick if it had a few small things changed (ivory instead of stark white, altered to be a little more fitting, place the veil at the mid-back of her head rather than on top). But I was a 90s bride so there's that ;)

• Upvote 12

Not about the dresses, already wrote about that although I forgot about Amy's dress (nice, but was it fitted correctly) and Michelle's vow renewal (epic fail).

Anyway at a wedding this weekend and the bouquets were like Kendra's, so Pintrest for the win.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I got to thinking about that dress not actually being from the 1980s, because it was Grandma Mary's first. The reason I think it fit into 1980s fashion, is that it looks very similar to my sister's wedding dress from 4 years after JB & M got married. So, I guess the dress was ahead of its time? ;)

Or, the 80s had a huge 50s revival trend! Dirty Dancing etc. I've seen SO many 80s-does-50s dresses in vintage stores labelled up as genuine 1950s :my_dodgy: but it's kind of fun how things move in and out of fashion.

• Upvote 8

@Jinder Roles  Yea!!!  Thanks so much for starting this thread!  I have been wanting such a thing, but am way too procrastinate-y to do it myself, and now you've gone and done it.  So hooray for you!  And now, I kind of love you and think we should get married. (Really, just so that we can both pick out wedding dresses . . . )

Here is mine:

downton5-rosewedding4.jpg

• Upvote 21
  • Love 1

Loving this debate! My big question remains,however:

WILL JIM BOB EVER WEAR A DIFFERENT SUIT?

Seriously. Not sure what he paid for it, but man, he's got his money's worth out of the thing, that's for sure. 

• Upvote 13

Here's my dream dress (I'm a sucker for gold...I think it's that lifelong love of Belle's dress in Beauty and the Beast that makes me want to get married in a gold dress):

8104.624x936.1443725102.jpg

Only thing I'd do differently with this dress is have the bottom be more champagne-colored and get a champagne lining for the top. Not about that see-through look. Sorry, Pnina.

• Upvote 16
  • Love 2

On 9/16/2017 at 3:42 AM, Lurky said:

The fact Jinger couldn't walk three steps without help, because of that ridiculous train, makes me hate it.

My train was as long and fancy, but it also had bustling so I could walk around and dance.  Too bad it seems like her dress didn't have bustling so she could move.  I don't think Renee really made the dress because, if she had, she'd have known how to put a bustle in.

On 9/16/2017 at 4:12 AM, Pretzel said:

May I just add that Anna's dress had been her sister's and thus carried emotional value for her?

I never believed that she picked the dress because of emotional value.  Her family isn't rich.  I don't think they had the money to buy another gown, and claiming sentiment was better than admitting financial strain.

My order:

1.  Jinger.  Classy, elegant, not franken-modest-ified.  I'd wear it, train and all.

2.  Jessa.  Pretty and fun, and I like how she pushed against white.

I don't really care for the rest, but anyway, here:

3.  Kendra.  I need to see clearer pics of the top, but the skirt is decently pretty..

4.  Amy.  Might ran above Kendra's if her bodice wasn't so tight that her boobs were popping out of her armpits.  Not attractive.

5.  Jill. I'm not a fan of the hair or the t-shirt, but the overall look was very hippie.  I could see this look in a field with people in fringe and bellbottoms.  

6.  Joy.  WTF was going on with that monstrosity?

7. Anna.  Too plain, but the thing that ranks this below Joy's is how it was so ill-fitted that it's like she woke up in the morning, remembered she was getting married, and ran into her sister's house screaming about needing a dress to wear.  And then she ran home with the dress, threw it on, ranked a brush through her hair a few times, and ran to the church.  Jill's hair was more done.  Anna's overall look said she didn't plan anything.

In another life, I would be a wedding planner (love getting all the details right, I LOVE making lists, and creating fun decorations, but with chronic health issues I just don't have the energy and patience for dumb things and drama that arise).
I've actually compiled a 12 page wedding planning document with all the tips and what no to do's and other random wedding planning stuff since I got married almost 5 years ago. I actually wrote it up for my brother-in-law and his now wife, but I don't think they even read it really (they were  HORRIBLE at making decisions on time and actually concretely deciding on things and complained about how hard wedding planning was...when my hubbie and I were more than willing to help with anything). Anyways, other friends have been happy to read through it though, so I feel like it's actually helped someone out, just not who I originally wrote it for. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1
  • Love 1

I'm late to the game, but I got out the laptop for the first time in  months just for this thread. :pb_lol: 

BRIDES:

1. Jinger. I know she's my pet fundie, but everything about her ensemble was picture perfect. What I loved most, I think, was not just the elegance and class that her dress (and styling) conveyed, but that it felt like we were really seeing Jinger. I feel like this is the look she would have chosen regardless of fundie modesty rules, and especially seeing the polished everyday looks she's been sporting since she became Mrs. Vuolo, I feel it's reflective of the style she always had in her head, but wasn't able to pull together from the Duggar Collective Closet. As a poster above said, she was THE QUEEN in this. She slayed. 

2. Jessa. I think I actually squealed when I saw the first pics of her dress, to the dismay of Mr. Lioness. :pb_lol: I especially loved the headband. Why is everyone hating on the headband? ;) The blush pink was such an unexpected choice, and the cut was "princess" without being "dress-up." I loved that it was light and twirly, but not poofy or cheap looking. I loved the sparkle. And I loved that she did something with her hair; it wasn't a formal updo, but it wasn't just hanging there either. I thought the whole look was sort of a cohesive ethereal princess thing. Very nice.

3. Kendra. Just lovely. Modest without being a Frankendress. Perfectly accessorized with the jeweled trim on the veil and bracelet. Youthful, but not childish. Basically she looks like a cake topper, which I'm perfectly okay with.

4. Anna. So. I got married in 2000. Pretty much every wedding in 2000 looked like Anna's wedding in 2008, which, given the usual fundie fashion delay, seems just about right. I actually wore almost her exact tiara/veil combo. Her hair was awful, the photography sucks (really, the other Duggar brides have all had the benefit of pricey professional photogs to really make them shine), and of course her husband is the Booby Prize, but her dress is simply cut and beautifully constructed, the fabric looks high quality, there is no patchwork thing happening, and I actually think it fits pretty well, too. 

5. Joy. I was stumped by the pics posted upthread, because I just remembered her dress being one big blob of frump. If she had chosen the polka dot dress - why, WHY did she decide against the polka dot dress? - Joy may have won the whole thing. Her actual gown, on the hanger, looks prettier than I remember. I especially like the sleeves; the sheer fabric with lace at the elbows is very elegant. The overall lace is lovely, and I even like the different laces put together - sort of a hippie, DIY vibe. Unfortunately, the dress on Joy is another story entirely. In the black and white pic, it just looks matronly. High neck. Boring. Totally unremarkable. The color photo in the cathedral with all the candles and crap on the floor? That 70s Wedding. Which actually is kinda my vibe, but this picture looks to me like a 70s child bride who sewed her mom's wedding dress and her older sister's together. Also her hair. I guess if you don't brush it, the tiara stays in better. 

6. Jill. Just. Ugh. The dress was awful for the reasons everyone has already pointed out, but also because it totally did not match the theme of her wedding. I have been to quite a few weddings actually where it looks like the bride pictured the dress she wanted, pictured the wedding she wanted, but was not at all concerned with how those two went together. My sister in law, for example, wore a dress that she described as "renaissance princess" due to the elbow length bell sleeves, but was really more "90s soap opera" with the lace appliqué, sequins and beading. Her flowers and decor were "80s Mother's Day Picnic", the bridesmaids were "high school show choir chic" and the venue was "sea shanty." This is what I think happened to Jill's wedding; what she imagined she chose is not what she actually wore/did. When I think of a country/shabby chic bride, I think cream, mocha, lace, tulle. Something with a little spunk and personality, neither of which Jill seems to be able to display.

7. Amy. In theory, this is a perfectly acceptable modern wedding dress. In actuality (in my unpopular opinion) it was awful. First of all, even though I know high quality silk satin can be very expensive, I hate shiny wedding dresses. They almost always look dated or cheap to me. I also thought the cut was weird and not flattering. Is it a ball gown? Is it an empire waist? Why does it puff like that around her tummy? I also almost never like sweetheart necklines, and this one is especially... heart shaped. It's so round that, in conjunction with the poofy skirt, it makes poor Amy look like one big circle. A hot air balloon. Which, speaking of balloons.... :pb_eek: :pb_lol: I too am a busty gal. I know it can be hard to find clothing that looks appropriate, as what totally covers and supports the average woman can leave us busty ladies poppin' out or floppin' about. And I know it sucks not to be able to wear styles you really love just because they don't suit a body that you didn't exactly choose. And I think people should wear what they want! Flaunt it if you got it! Just... maybe not in that. Maybe not on your wedding day.

Could anyone upload pics of all the bridesmaids/bridal parties? I am not tech savvy enough with FJ yet to attempt it.

• Upvote 9

1 minute ago, MarbleRainbow said:

I've actually compiled a 12 page wedding planning document with all the tips and what no to do's and other random wedding planning stuff since I got married almost 5 years ago.

My mom and I used to do a similar thing from all the weddings we attended. Write down what really worked well and great ideas. Also mishaps and things that came up or were forgotten. Like if you have a wedding in really old small 19th century church in the mountains in the middle of winter you need to remember to heaters. That was the coldest wedding I had ever attend. On the upside after the ceremony instead of shaking hands when the bridal party and their family lined up everyone was hugging each other for warmth. I can't say I ever hugged everyone at a wedding before. It was kind of touching.

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Palindrome said:

Loving this debate! My big question remains,however:

WILL JIM BOB EVER WEAR A DIFFERENT SUIT?

Seriously. Not sure what he paid for it, but man, he's got his money's worth out of the thing, that's for sure. 

He also wore it to the grandparenting conference on Saturday.

• Upvote 7

32 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Like if you have a wedding in really old small 19th century church in the mountains in the middle of winter you need to remember to heaters.

I got married in February. In Minnesota. If you're not familiar with the US, it can get super cold here at that time of year. My husband and I joked with people that we were having an outdoor wedding - their very confused faces were hilarious.
I gave all the bridesmaids very beautiful scarves to wear during the reception if they were feeling chilly. I was roasting, because I put leggings on under my dress, thinking I would get chilly. The reception hall was quite warm, what with over 200 guests and us going around greeting people. I did not need long sleeves on my dress either. Usually I was always cold, so I thought I would need the layers!

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, JordynDarby5 said:

My mom and I used to do a similar thing from all the weddings we attended. Write down what really worked well and great ideas. Also mishaps and things that came up or were forgotten. Like if you have a wedding in really old small 19th century church in the mountains in the middle of winter you need to remember to heaters. That was the coldest wedding I had ever attend. On the upside after the ceremony instead of shaking hands when the bridal party and their family lined up everyone was hugging each other for warmth. I can't say I ever hugged everyone at a wedding before. It was kind of touching.

This is a really good idea! I have been to very few weddings as I'm still quite young, but I expect in a few years weddings and babies will be everywhere.

I've already decided no middle of summer wedding. In almost the opposite situation of what you described above, my friends old stone church Wedding fell on the hottest day on record in February (Which is the middle of summer here!)

It was 46 degrees outside the church (About 114.8 Fahrenheit) and I'm convinced it was wells over 50 (122 Fahrenheit) inside that church.

They did manage to get a hold home water bottles and chill them in buckets of ice at the entrance, and the bride's grandmother managed to find these fantastic water spraying fans to keep the bridal party cool.

For those of you thinking about a mid summer wedding, I highly recommend giving your guests chilled water and fans. You could customise them for your wedding too if you really wanted!

Also find a photographer that makes you not look horrifically sweaty. Their photographer did an incredible job, but unfortunately I don't think the men's suits could be saved even with a good drycleaning!

• Upvote 6

@Satan'sFortress @nastyhobbitses Can we have a platonic polyamorous lesbian wedding AKA fashion show? 

I shall be wearing multiple dresses. The first of which needs to have such a long train that I have to Segway down the aisle  :my_biggrin:

Here are some of my top picks.  

Spoiler

ea246e2098ef368390de7f694ec3ec7a.jpg

a0e17e2c78313a1aa2a9e313e4781248.jpg

Spoiler

024bfed965e21a72ec6817223d5336a8.jpg

9d66b8ad08cacf5bfdc06d9fe5e29c77.jpg

388b2ac23a0b0fa7349b0c7d72e14798.jpg

a0cc449d8116dcdc23e471f00cb6a116.jpg

Spoiler

14ce048ccbfd57d263b58ae713572951.jpg

cc2dbfba961e1545a4e5d361640962aa.jpg

Spoiler

40044d83fbfa939c5bb5fd7c97603306.jpg

a18a55466c1d5326fb8b73d4b92b3818.jpg

As you can probably tell, I gravitate towards ballgowns and detailing, partly because I like shiny things and partly because my pathetic apple shape would not look good in a fitted dress. 

I'd also be a little uncomfortable with all the attention on me so I'd people stare at my ridiculous sparkly train. 

@ihaveanexamintwodaysI also have a Pinterest dedicated to weddings, as well as several boards for my friend's wedding. I freaking love weddings! Especially dresses, cake, bouquets and decor. I also have quite extensive fashion and makeup boards. 

@PennySycamore Jinger did have a bustle for her train, so she could walk without assistance after the ceremony. 

Edited by Jinder Roles
  • Upvote 11

Well- late to this game, but since I looooove wedding dresses :D here's my list:

1. Jinger (kind of tie with Jessa)- but I list it first because I like how the dress fits. I also liked the hair, make-up and flowers. The train was too long for me.

2. Jessa (she is my fundie pet :)) - her dress was something I would wear, but it could have had a better fitted top- well, I guess it had to do with modesty. I also liked the hair and make-up, for me she is a really beautiful girl (of course when I say this I don't consider the beliefs and  so on)

I don't really like the others, but:

3. Joy -it wasn't that bad for me  but it didn't suit her

4. Kendra- a little bit too much sparkle for my taste, but I guess at 19 it's something else. Also, it made her look a bit chubby, and she's not

5. Jill- I liked the original dress, but the alterations were really bad

6. Anna- too plain, and I really don't like a t-shirt dress. Also- the hair was kind of really really bad

For the bridesmaids dresses, I liked Jingers (even with so many colours), then Joy's, Kendra's, Jill's. Jessa's, and I think Anna's were really bad (all said in a very subjective way of course).

I actually like that people have a different taste, even when it's really different than mine, because it would be boring if we would all look and dress the same. 

As far as you don't harm other people- it is good to be yourself, to look and dress the way you like.

• Upvote 6

I really don't mind that JB wears the same suit over & over if it fit it right!

My husband has 2 really nice suits, a gray one and a navy blue pinstripe Michael Kors that are beautifully tailored. He bought them both about a year before our wedding and the minute I saw him in the blue suit post tailoring I said that's the suit you are wearing when we get married. Take care of it. He wore it so many time pre and post wedding and it's still in great shape. 

• Upvote 4

@Kangaroo, two years ago, my cousin got married in the middle of July, which turned out to be the hottest day of the year. At least 100 degrees Fahrenheit. They had an indoor Catholic ceremony and an outdoor reception under a white tent at an apple orchard. By the end of the night, with all the sweaty bodies dancing on the dance floor, I took a full pitcher of water and dumped it over my head. By that point, I didn't care about my hair and makeup. Everybody was looking worse for the wear by that point.

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic