IGNORED

Jinder's Dresses: A Very Subjective Rundown/Review of all Duggar Wedding Gowns

Jinder Roles

When comparing dresses, I have to put an asterisk by Kendra's and Anna's dresses. They were not raised Duggars, they married into the family. While I think there was more TLC money spent on Kendra's wedding than Anna's, I don't know how much was chipped in and how many upgrades were made because of it. Kendra and Anna would still need to conform (not really the word I want, but the best I can come up with now) or set their family's wedding standards. I can see, even if marrying daughters to people on television, that a family wouldn't want to give one daughter a princess spectacular wedding, and have their other daughters have minimal affair, since they aren't marrying better known folks. Also, I know that brides choose to budget their money in different ways. To some, the dress might be everything, while others would insist on better food, a better photographer, better decorations, etc. 

• Upvote 7

My Wedding Dress Rankings

1. Jinger - I liked the lace and the train was beautiful, albeit cumbersome. The flowers were lovely and Jinger's shoes were gorgeous! Jinger also had the nicest hairstyle.

2. (tie) Jessa - The blush colour really complemented her skin tone. I liked how the skirt swirled. Her head band was unique and suited her well. I like how she was comfortable in her dress and was able to dash away easily and not have a bunch of creepy  fundies share her first kiss! 

2. (tie) Kendra  - I thought her dress fit well. She seems like a sparkly upbeat girl and the sparkle top complemented her. The veil was lovely. Her hair looked pretty. Too bad they don't dance. I bet Kendra would look brilliant on the dance floor. 

4. Joy - I liked the lace and her veil. It didn't seem to fit as well as the previous ones, but she did appear to have lost a bit of pre wedding inches (not unusual).  Loved her flowers. Joy was comfortable in her dress. I think Joy just wanted to get the wedding done, as her cheer and raised fist at the end indicated.

5. Jill - I had to go back and look. Jill's dress unfortunately was not altered well. It was somewhat loose and mismatched. Her veil was pretty and the embroidery on the dress was beautiful. While bare feet are "Jill" I thought it was kinda icky.

6. Anna - I think she might have altered the dress when she first was engaged, then went on to sewing all the bridesmaids dresses. Like Joy, Anna lost weight during her engagement. Her already fairly loose fitting t-shirt style dress became really loose. Anna's bouquet was lovely and I like the way the back of her dress draped. 

Amy - Not a modest dress, so hard to compare. As others have stated, her cups runneth over! She did look happy, so Cheers to her! 

Bridesmaid Dresses

1. Joy - Classic navy, easy to wear again, nice length.

2. Jinger - More formal, could be shortened or worn to more formal events. Most of the colours were nice.

3. Kendra - Simple, elegant, can be worn again. Not my favourite colour, but i like how they did match the ushers.

4. Anna - Classic colours, hand made, simple lines. Not many chances to wear again, unless your famewhore parents renew their wedding vows on tv...

5. Jessa - Cheap material, can be worn again. The coral colour worked well with Jessa's wedding dress.

6. Jill - Nice colour. The add on modesty ruffle looked stupid. Some were long, some short, some uneven. If you want more modest dresses, buy them! They do exist! 

• Upvote 9

I forgot to add that out of all the fundie T-shirt style wedding dresses, I liked Priscilla's best. She wore a really pretty modest dress, it didn't look altered, and the fabric seemed to be of better quality. I also liked their wedding colors. Very classy. I know it's the Pecan and Priss, but I even liked their choice of wedding cake and decorations. Priscilla looked lovely and happy, her hair was gorgeous, and maaan she always looks so athletic and fit. 

The cut of her bridesmaids' dresses is very simple and the fabric looks a little cheap, but somehow I don't find these dresses as unflattering as e.g. the Seewald wedding coral monstrosities or Jill's weirdly altered turquoise nightmares. 

Spoiler

2012_02_04_KLS_0218.jpg?x29420

IMG_8800-Edit.jpg

IMG_9995.jpg?x877152012_02_04_KLS_0159.jpg?x87715

• Upvote 17

The only dress I liked was Jessa's, the others were from meh to urgh.

What about a challenge? Let's find fashionable dresses that are up to fundy modesty standards. Here are those I found. Personally I would wear only maybe the first and a couple of other ones.

Spoiler

IMG_20170916_172729.png.4700e82d5afaecbc02722d58d4becedc.pngIMG_20170916_172231.png.873be6a99d84c9397f1c1beb9493fb59.pngIMG_20170916_172432.png.de5d891da8c0d00052995588ce8c24ed.png8041027206001-e-lilium_normal.thumb.jpg.b2c2d18805acc3e43c0c8520dc316a14.jpgIMG_20170916_174706.png.c624d3f4b799923d2131451acc09537e.pngIMG_20170916_174736.png.64e67cf048048097fbd04da0e154d86e.pngIMG_20170916_175155.png.dbe8de350ca1c8850bbfa9825a8ef3de.pngIMG_20170916_180118.png.9b2daca681ee77566f116e6e8bc8de47.pngIMG_20170916_180155.png.acd331e9e3766cc26697a27f6b86ea26.pngIMG_20170916_193640.png.f5596edea3ed38f64f768fd0e58717a0.pngIMG_20170916_181445.png.592f303da6494be64213417a7d0926c0.pngIMG_20170916_182949.png.4c2ce7445849b7ff3fe24da6128d1983.pngIMG_20170916_184151.png.a3311a061ae2b36a39d5dbac4086bf67.pngIMG_20170916_183039.png.b9b879e0e6d15869d3c6e330e5a82bda.png

Spoiler

IMG_20170916_184350.png.063a0c95df2276610625571323283fa4.png

Edited by laPapessaGiovanna
Fixing spoiler
  • Upvote 8

Most dresses with a cathedral (or any kind of)  train will have a small loop sewn into the train so that the bride can manage the it without much help.  Her bridesmaids would help before the wedding and afterwards so that she can get down the aisle, but after that she can handle it by herself.  Did Jinjer's dress have one of those loops?

• Upvote 6

1. Jessa/Kendra tie. They were relatively similar in style and I can't find anything I dislike about either one. Tie.

2. Jinger (Very very close second). The train brought it down for me. While it made for some beautiful pictures the train was a bit too much for me.

3. Amy. The top seemed too small, like crossing the line between "I want to show some boob" (nothing wrong with that!) and "I'm about to spill out of my dress". But it was still beautiful.

4. Jill. I said elsewhere that if it wasn't for the alterations Jill's probably would have been my favorite. My wedding dress was all lace like hers. Alas, the alterations made the top look very odd and ill-fitting.

5. Anna. It was plain, but it wasn't ugly. And she was the first of the list to be married so I'm sure budget was much more limiting.

6. Joy. I was not a fan. From far away it looks nice enough. Close up, I didn't like the design of the lace (probably because it was a mash up of two different dresses), it was obvious the sleeves were an afterthought, they didn't match the dress well nor did they fit her as well as Jinger's did, plus the length of the sleeves made them look bunched up and wrinkly every time she bent her arm at the elbow, which she was in almost every picture.

• Upvote 5

Bride:  1) Jinger, 2) Kendra, 3) Jessa, 4) Joy, 5) Jill, 6) Anna

Bridesmaids: 1) Jinger, 2) Kendra, 3) Joy, 4) Anna, 5) Jessa, 6) Jill

Poor Anna. A ho-hum proposal, a borrowed wedding dress & a pretty basic honeymoon (all compared to the others) & she's stuck with him.

• Upvote 10

Bride's dresses-this is a tough one I really like Kendra's, Jinger's and Jessa's dresses that its a three way tie for my favorite. I loved Jinger's dress and the train was beautiful. I love the sleeves on her dress. Kendra's and Jessa's are both dresses I wouldn't wear but they fit each bride perfectly and went well with their personality. Kendra looked so beautiful and happy in her dress. She was glowing. Jessa also looked so beautiful and happy in her dress.

Jill's could have been beautiful if not for the alterations. Joy's dress looked like a combo between Jill and Jinger's and it really didn't look like it was sewn together well. It didn't look like it fit Joy's personality. I didn't like Anna's although I understand she didn't have a lot of money for a new dress it didn't fit her well. 

The Bridesmaids dresses-I love Jinger's the best I love the different colors and think the bridesmaids all looked really good. Kendra's is a close second because they were beautiful, a great color, and they looked good in. Both Jinger's and Kendra had a great color for their wedding and everything looked great.

Anna's dresses are in third they did look nice and like bridesmaids dresses. Joy's is in fourth place the navy dresses were simple but did look nice.  Jill and Jessa are tied for last place Jill's had that weird white part that made it look like their slips were showing and Jessa had a good color but the dresses were awful. 

• Upvote 5

Thank you for all your responses.  Glad I'm not the only one who loves wedding dresses and finds fundie wedding choices fascinating. 

And the saga continues! 

5. Joy's Dress: The Mix And (Almost) Match 

Joy's Renee's Bridal and Special Occasions dress was actually a combination of four dresses. The bride wore an a-line lace dress and illusion elbow sleeves with lace appliqués . It also featured pieces from her mother and mother-in-law's wedding dresses. She finished the look with a beautiful scalloped lace veil. 

The word that comes to mind when I look at Joy's dress is almost. The dress almost looks cohesive, but falls a bit short. Maybe it's the clashing lace between the veil and bodice. Maybe it's the disjointedness of the neckline and sleeves. Or maybe it's that little tomboy Joy-Joy has been bound in holy-fundie-matrimony at the ripe old age of 19. Whatever it is, something about this dress doesn't isn't quite right. 

I actually really wish she wore the polka-dot dress pictured in her dress fitting photos on TLC's website (picture below) 

Bonus Points: Being very involved in customizing her wedding dress

Having the best and most detailed veil. 

The sentimentality of the dress. 

Choosing something comfortable. 

I admit the dress looks better in motion (and from certain angles) 

Penalties:       Those brown sandals...I can forgive a lot of things, but not that. 

The hair was meh (Austin should have told her to wear an elaborate updo)

The dress was meh. 

Spoiler

Joy_Dresses10.png

This is what I wish she wore. 

Spoiler

646945.jpg?w=669

Spoiler

joy-anna-duggar-wedding-photo.png

Spoiler

19050563_1765560307068846_57400244015422

6. Jill's Dress:  (Much Too) Laid-back Vintage Chic. 

Jill's modified Allure Bridals gown featured a lace appliqué fit-and-flare bottom as well as an ivory sash around the waist. She finished the look with a scalloped lace veil. The dress was purchased from Ava Laurenne Bridal  and modified by Moni Reeise; a pastor's wife from South Carolina. 

Being the sweet JillyMuffin that she is; the first Duggar-sister bride was satisfied with the finished product. Moni Reeise is lucky, because if I were Jill, I'd have thrown a fit worthy of a Bridezillas episode. The seamstress completely butchered poor Jilly's neckline. I can see a clear line of demarcation between the original and added lace material. Allure Bridals is lucky that Princess Blessa amazed everyone with her blush number. I'd say two Duggar brides consecutively mutilating dresses from your collection is grounds for slander. 

Unfortunately this dress wasn't vintage...it was  dated. Maybe that's why Jill's sisters did not return to Ava Laurenne Bridal despite promises from Michelle for future partnerships. 

Bonus Points:  Going barefoot and not giving a fuck. 

It was a nice veil. 

She looked really happy.

Jill was the first Duggar sister bride, so I'm not holding her to as high as          standard as her successors.  

Penalties: Going barefoot and not giving a fuck 

Moni Reeise, please stick to assisting your husband pastor his church.   

Spoiler

Jill-Duggar-Wedding-Dress-Before-and-Aft

Spoiler

19-kids-jill-derick-wedding_0018.jpg

Spoiler

8e46783a-2d6b-4c88-b95c-1645b2380eff~rs_

7. Anna's Dress: The Sacrificial Lamb 

Anna's dress was a simple handmade a-line gown with short sleeves and a detachable train. She finished the look with a simple piped elbow veil and detailed headband. 

We can all see that the dress wasn't great but Anna was the first Duggar bride, so I can't snark on her too hard. She was working with a substantially smaller budget, it was the year 2008, and the fundie fashion world had not yet evolved from that horrid t-shirt dress phase. 

Bonus Points: She and her sisters made her dress and bridesmaid dresses 

She put a lot of effort into her wedding 

Genuinely caring about the comfort of her bridesmaids and wedding party

Making it work despite lack of TLC coin. 

Penalties:      The t-shirt dress is no bueno. 

The hair wasn't great either. 

Sympathy Points: She was covenanted together in holy matrimony with Joshley (ick!) 

It was the year 2008 

She married Josh (ick!) 

*Content Warning: the following spoilers tags contain pics of one Joshley Madison...it that makes you feel icky, please move on to #8*

Spoiler

storymaker-josh-and-anna-wedding-picture

Spoiler

storymaker-josh-and-anna-wedding-picture

Spoiler

cdf9ede18e3a076cc9f79c58345d1a6b.jpg

Spoiler

eb7gir.jpg

8. Michelle's Dress: Sacrilege... #NeverForget

I personally believe that everyone should be held accountable for their transgressions  (*cough,cough...Joshley cough, cough*) . This is why I am compelled to include Michelle's desecration of an innocent Kleinfeld's dress. 

Michelle's dress was the OG Duggar Wedding Dress. During 18KAC Boob'chelle decided to renew their vows for their 20-something (I can't remember now) anniversary. Michelle wore what I think is a natural-waisted taffeta dress. I can't be sure because the gown was butchered per Michelle's instruction. No idea who the designer is...thank God because they'd be out of business. She completed the look with a simple piped veil and her signature crunchy curls. 

In Kleinfeld's the customer is always right, which is why Michelle was able to get away with this atrocity. Well, I'm not letting her off the hook. This was a crime against wedding dresses everywhere. Poor Randy Fenoli probably cried himself to sleep when he went home that day.  

#NeverForget #StopTShirtWeddingDresses2k17 #StopMichelleDuggar2k17

Bonus: Congrats on your marriage, I guess. 

I'm glad she was comfortable? 

Penalties: The sins she committed against her dress

The sins she committed against Kleinfeld's Bridal 

Letting the howlers run wild in a respectable establishment 

The bitchy comment Jill made about an 'immodest' Pnina Tornai dress (Pnina didn't deserve that!) 

That fuckery of that entire episode.  

Spoiler

storymaker-duggar-vow-renewal-pictures9-

Spoiler

michelle-duggar-wedding-dress-11.jpg

Spoiler

michelle-duggar-wedding-dress-14.jpg

Spoiler

storymaker-duggar-vow-renewal-pictures3-

That's it folks. Thanks for watching. I may add informational notes on these dresses later. I'll update my rankings and reviews as more Duggar weddings occur. Bye!

Edited by laPapessaGiovanna
Removing blank space
  • Upvote 38
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

I still think it's not that bad but Jill's original dress lives off the sweetheart neckline and the sash around the waist being the eye-catcher. Her bulky alterations and wide straps (attempt at sleeves?) ruined the entire look. If you don't want attention drawn to your body, don't choose a dress that emphasizes the waist area. The altered dress kind of missed the point.

• Upvote 19
  • Love 1

@Jinder Roles I totally forgot about Jichelle's vow removal monstrosity. Worst. Wedding dress. EVER. Plus what the hell were they thinking bringing all those kids in to Kleifelds?

My bridesmaid dress rankings:

1. Amy: How many virgin Duggar eyes were defrauded on that day? Nike central! Amy scores high for the blingy necklines, the way the dresses fit, and how sassy and fierce her bridesmaids look. I'm not a fan of beige (it's not an easy colour to wear), but Amy's bridesmaids wore it well.

2. (Tie) Jinger: As far as modest bridesmaid dresses go, these were the prettiest as far as style and fit. I wish she had gone with fewer colours.

2. (Tie) Kendra: When I first saw them I thought the sleeves were an awkward length, but upon seeing more pictures, the dresses have grown on me. They're very girly, and suit her wedding.

3. Joy: I thought they were a bit boring when I first saw them,but she scores high for wearability and versatility. Navy blue for a spring wedding didn't make much sense to me, but I like the orange flowers.

4. Anna: Anna scores points because the dresses look formal enough to be in a wedding, and she made them happen without help from TLC $$$. On the negative side, they looked very somber, and like they were made from cheap satin.

5. Jessa: Cheap looking dresses with a weird boob ruffles. The only reason she scores better than Jill is that they did not require alterations, and I like the coral colour.

6. Jill: Jill would've scored higher than Jessa if it weren't for those stupid white modesty slip panels that poor CinderJana had to add to the dresses. I'm sure she could've found something long enough. Also, I don't understand the ugly brown belts and sandals. They make the dresses look really casual.

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Hide contents

storymaker-duggar-vow-renewal-pictures9-

Hide contents

michelle-duggar-wedding-dress-11.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

michelle-duggar-wedding-dress-14.jpg

Maybe Mechele ran out of time to wash and comb her hair before the ceremony.  All those kids to dress, you know.  But most disturbing is her breastal area.  Doesn't it look like she's wear a mess of bandages like after a breast implant.  Way to look modest.  

Edited by choralcrusader8613
double quote, remove empty spoilers
  • Upvote 13

So, my take on Jills wedding is ... confusion.  

She wanted country chic and her lace dress would have worked  better if fitted properly, but, it didn't offend me.

The IDEA of the bridesmaid dresses, with a ruffled lace flounce,  would have worked, if done correctly.   The dress she chose was too short for one, thus the need to add both an additional green panel and then the white lacy one.   Plus, the panels were not the same length from the hem on each persons dress and it didn't 'ruffle' = not a good look.  Why they didn't pick a simple lace dress, ie.  see Kendra's choice, is beyond me.   It's not that hard to find something that would have suited at a reasonable cost.

Annnnd, to add insult to injury, the grey tux pants & vests for the guys.  They were too formal looking in comparison to the dresses.  With the brown shoes & belts, they should have done a brown linen type look which would go with the country chic, more relaxed feel of the girls dresses.

Edited by Smoochie
  • Upvote 14

2 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Penalties: The sins she committed against her dress

The sins she committed against Kleinfeld's Bridal 

Letting the howlers run wild in a respectable establishment 

The bitchy comment Jill made about an 'immodest' Pnina Tornai dress (Pnina didn't deserve that!) 

That fuckery of that entire episode.  

Oh, I hated that episode for all of those reasons. Letting the howlers run wild, touching all of those expensive dresses, they seriously could have damaged those dresses. Many of those are thousands of dollars. Jill's bitchy comment about that dress, and Josh giving his opinion on his mother's wedding dress. Michelle making the salesperson sit out side while she tried on the dress. Its her job to help with the dresses so they don't get damaged while they are being tried on. 

• Upvote 17

After having a hell of a time sewing a dress with princess seams and lining, I have much more of an appreciation for Anna's dress. It looks ultra plain but seems it like it was decently constructed -- the seams line up appropriately, the sleeves fit properly at the shoulders, and the dress lays smoothly overall. 

I just haaaaattte the neckline. It's worse than a turtleneck. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

I can't really rank the dresses. Like many, I liked Kendra's, Jessa's and Jinger's the best (no particular order). I kinda liked Joy's, but the sleeves were a bit awkward. Jill's was a bit of a mess - it's always pretty obvious when fundies have altered for modesty, although probably the worst for modesty alterations were Erin's and Michael's. Anna's was just too plain for me. 

In terms of bridesmaid dresses, again I'm gonna go with Kendra and Jinger with the addition of Joy. I know opinions about Jinger's bridesmaid's outfits are divided, but I personally like lace dresses, and having different colours was different to what all her sisters have done. Joy's were nice for reusability (although minus points for the weird lace things on Jill's dress). Jessa's were a little odd; they would've been better without the ruffle IMO. Jill's were a nice colour, but again you could tell they were altered, the lines of each layer looked wonky to me. Anna's were a nice design but the navy was a bit dark for a wedding; when they did the family photo it just looked so monochromatic. Joy's were also navy but a lighter shade. 

Michelle's vow renewal dress was just a whole lotta WTF. It just looks so bulky and thick! Her actual wedding dress (vow renewal is not the same category) was nicer. 

• Upvote 7

I hope this doesn't come off as too BEC but what's the deal with the bridesmaids all having mismatched shoes? 

I understand that not everyone loves shoes and not everyone wants to spend a fortune on being a bridesmaid ... but some of those shoes are way too casual for the style of dress they're paired with imo. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

Ughhh. MeChelle's vowel removal. Just drivel. Terrible. 

And Anna just standing behind them in that photo is super creepy for some reason...

• Upvote 7

22 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

Ughhh. MeChelle's vowel removal. Just drivel. Terrible. 

And Anna just standing behind them in that photo is super creepy for some reason...

I'm guessing that was auto correct, vowel removal instead of vow renewal. It made me laugh.

• Upvote 19

Best: Jessa and Kendra. Both were youthful, fun, and didn't look "modest" even though they were. I didn't love Jessa's accessories (the bracelet didn't work and looked cheap and the necklace was a little bulky - the dress was very pretty and Jessa looked gorgeous). 

Runner-Up: Jinger. Definitely the most "show stopping" of all the dresses and the most sophisticated and polished look overall. As others have noted, it just didn't seem like a "Jinger-dress." Not sure how to articulate it, but it seemed mature for her. This is not meant to be a dig, but I expected something a little more fun from Jinger versus classic (she did have those crazy heels, though). 

Amy: I liked the dress, but I just didn't feel like it fit Amy's body that well. 

Joy: Just misses it. I'm not sure if it's the fit or what, but it just came across as frumpy. 

Anna: The fit wasn't bad but just too plain. Anna's lack of makeup and limp curls made the look feel heavier than it really needed to be. A longer veil might have brought some life into the look.

Jill: Butchered. 

Bridesmaids dresses: Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm not crazy about any of them - if the color was nice, the dresses looked f*cked. If the dresses were decent, the color was drab. Currently, Jinger and Kendra are tied for me in this department. I do like Jinger had some fun with the color scheme. 

• Upvote 12

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'm guessing that was auto correct, vowel removal instead of vow renewal. It made me laugh.

Not autocorrect. Jessa was dead tired from doing all the planning for her mother's ridiculous wedding, and in a talking head and called the ceremony a "vow removal." 

Don't forget, Mechelle was about 12 weeks pregnant with Josie when the "removal" took place. She was all worried that the dress would be too tight, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Can't rank dresses yet. I want to get a better look at the bottom of Kendra's dress. I'm not a fan of ruffles, but I can't quite tell HOW ruffly (is that a word?) it really was. Because, for me, do the beading OR the ruffles, but not both. For me, it's just overkill. But it worked for her, so credit where it's due.

I can say that I pretty much hated Jill's and Joy's. But neither really surprised me; they are not known for their style, so the bar was set low for them.  

• Upvote 8

• Coconut Flan locked this topic