IGNORED

Jinder's Dresses: A Very Subjective Rundown/Review of all Duggar Wedding Gowns

Jinder Roles

14 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I love all of you with the guinea pig avatars. I couldn’t have one as a kid. Bro had the random weird SEVERE face swelliing allergic reaction to them. So no go. Now of course i feel like I missed out. It’s kind of like completing all the pets possible. They’re so fweeky and tubular. So lovable.

Here are my current boys:. 

IMG_1920.JPG

• Love 12

3 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

I hope I don't look like a cake.

I might look like I love cake, which I do.

Your avatar is my favourite one, 'cause I'm a huge carrot cake fan.

• Upvote 3

My avatar unfortunately does not resemble me, but it does resemble my precious furbaby! He is sitting on my rightful throne however :pb_lol: little bastard is always stealing my seat!

Edited by front hugs > duggs
i forgot words...oops!
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 7

Modest dresses can be beautiful. Dresses with odd bits stuck on them to make them modest, not so much.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

I always love @pook‘s avatar, because guineas. I love piggies. 

This is my third avatar. The first was a mango-related one, the second was a Bro Gary one (taken from my snoot demon post) and now it’s Arnold, the Maxwell cat, after the Bro Gary felony revelation. When I was choosing my new avatar, I was trying to decide between Arnold and Jordyn Duggar. I have a bit of a soft spot for Jordyn because I feel that, out of all the lost girls, she got probably the worst deal, being just shy of a year old when Precious Baby Josie was born, and then having to share her birthday so frequently with Josie. Jenni also got a bum deal, but she was super attached to Jill, whereas I don’t think Jordyn was as close to her sister mom. But I chose Arnold because loads of people have Duggars etc as their avatars and I thought it’d be a change to have an animal associated with some fundies rather than an actual fundie.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

whereas I don’t think Jordyn was as close to her sister mom.

IIRC she was jessas. Jessa never seemed as in to being a sister mom as Jana or Jill but I do think they were close. Jordyn got to go to one of jessa ultra sounds and announce (spurg?) was a boy at TTH I think. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Modest dresses can be beautiful. Dresses with odd bits stuck on them to make them modest, not so much.

I either read or saw a video clip one time, where Michelle was explaining how all the daughter's wedding dresses would have a part of her original wedding dress attached somewhere.  Whichever girl it was at the time that had just gotten married had a lacy piece that resembled a doily and I think it was attached over the top back part of the dress.  I've wondered about that when I've seen pictures of some of the Duggar daughter's dresses.  It could be a nice family tradition.  But I think they take things to extremes.  Of course they do!

• Upvote 2

Abbie doesn't seem super into fashion, I don't think her dress will really break the fundie mold tbh. 

As for my avatar, I think it fits my username well. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

I suppose it depends on whether the wedding is an autumn or winter one for sleeves vs sleeveless. Fingers crossed Abbie goes for an unaltered suitably modest gown. 

My avatar is kinda obvious; I enjoy a nice glass (or two) of red!

• Upvote 4

I look like my avatar when we are grocerie shopping and Mr. S. tells me that we don't need that much chocolate...I nearly always remind him that I want to have a chance to get at least some of it. :chocolate:

• Haha 13

I totally look like my avatar, I swear. Yet I think the quality of my cooking exceeds Peg's quite a bit, though sometimes I wish I could have some of her energizer bonbon cookies with triple the sugar. lol

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

I don't look like my avatar, but I certainly follow its suggested action. I've been to more marches these past few years (2) than all the previous years of my life combined.

• Upvote 5

There seems to be a much larger selection of ready made wedding dresses that fit their modesty standards now. A few years ago the strapless sweetheart gown was pretty ubiquitous, but just googling it, Joy and Lauren’s basic styles seem most common now. 

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 3

As someone who dislikes strapless gowns, I was thrilled to find a beautiful, stylish non-strapless wedding gown. The fact that for a while there 90% of wedding gowns were strapless was my biggest pet peeve.

• Upvote 12

• 3 weeks later...

I just watched Lauren and J's wedding (my first wedding since Jill's), and I loved it. Loved her dress, veil and hair. It looks like there was actual food, tables and chairs. I also loved the idea of strawberry shortcake cupcakes. 

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure if there is a separate thread for Bates dresses, but from what I've seen of Josie's it's beautiful. Not a style I'd wear, but I love the lace work on the bodice, and it had a nice shape to it. I actually like hers better than Jinger's. I also like that Josie had an outdoor wedding.

While I'm generally not a fan of plain crepe dresses (I love lace and sparkle), Lauren's is still the front runner for me, because it's about as close to sexy as we'll get from a fundie wedding dress.

• Upvote 5

On 9/8/2018 at 4:37 AM, Daisy0322 said:

IIRC she was jessas. Jessa never seemed as in to being a sister mom as Jana or Jill but I do think they were close. Jordyn got to go to one of jessa ultra sounds and announce (spurg?) was a boy at TTH I think. 

I think she may have been close to Jessa. I do remember a talking head with her and Jenni. I think it was around the time of Jill's engagement. I think they had the two of them as they were in the buddy groups. I remember it broke my heart when she said she was not going to let Jessa go, (in the context of get married and move out). The segment stuck with me as both little girls were quite sad. It was one of the many times I was super sorry for these little girls.

edited to add.

Also there was a wedding photo (group) where little Jordyn was just clinging to Jessa's hand. that pic, i read as sad too. Clinging.

Edited by AussieKrissy
  • Sad 3

• 4 weeks later...

Since we have a new wedding dress in the mix now I would love to put Abbie's dress in there. My subjective rundown:

1. Kendra and Joy

2. Jinger, Jessa and Abbie

3. Lauren and Anna (I do like Anna's dress, it's a style that is back now)

4. Jill, Amy, and Michelle (both)

Bates:

1. Tori

2. Josie (very 70's), Alyssa, Whitney (2nd dress)

3. Erin, Michaela and Whitney (1st dress)

My list:

Duggars

1. Jessa - suited her perfectly, didn't require modestifying and the fact that she dared wear a non-white dress in purity culture gives her several bonus points from me and puts her just in first place.

2. Jinger - stunning dress, especially from the back, fitted beautifully, could be successfully worn by non-fundie brides too. 

3. Lauren - liked how she wore something a bit daring and fitted and that was actually fashionable. Loses a couple of points for having her hair down and not showing off the back of her dress more.

4. Kendra - suited her perfectly, could also be worn successfully by non-fundie brides. Only reason I didn't put it higher was that it was a fairly safe option.

5. Abbie - I mean there's nothing wrong with it at all, it just seems like a bit of a safe option. Also it was perhaps a little "young" for her - not that she's old - but it seemed like the kind of dress more suited to someone like Kendra. 

6. Amy - Kind of a standard 2010s wedding dress. I have no issues with cleavage generally, but the way the top fitted (or didn't fit) made me kind of nervous.

7. Joy - really didn't like it and got the impression Joy only chose it because she didn't have any better options presented to her and was sick of the whole thing. It wasn't particularly flattering to Joy or brought out the best in her.

8. Jill - kind of a dog's breakfast of a dress (not sure if people know that saying outside Australia... oh well), didn't really fit properly and had basically been butchered. Though, in its mixed-up not-really-sure-what's-going-on-here state, it ended up being kind of an apt prediction of her future married life. 

9. Anna - it kind of seems unfair to put Anna last when she probably didn't have any other options available to her but it is what it is. The dress wasn't awful, but it would have been much better with cap sleeves and a boat neckline. 

Bateseses

1. Josie - like most of my faves, very much on trend and could successfully be worn by non-fundie brides. Also felt that the flowy boho vibe made it more youthful and therefore suitable for her (see other comments below)

2. Whitney (vow renewal) - seems somewhat cheating to include it since presumably married brides have more freedom, but anyway... really pretty, very much on trend and yay! Shoulders!

3. Tori - absolutely stunning dress, love the colour, but felt it was far too old and stiff on her and didn't really bring out the best in her personality - felt like she was playing dress-up in it. Honestly I'd have probably swapped her dress with Abbie's.

4. Alyssa - liked that she went a bit fitted and probably the narrowest strap she could get away with. Not terrible.

5. Whitney (wedding) - fitted her nicely, reasonably representative of what was fashionable at the time, but obviously more modest than she was happy with given her later choices.

6. Erin - quite flattering and also reasonably representative of the style at the time, but had basically been butchered through modestifying. Could have been so much better.

7. Michaela - oh honey no

If I was going to put them in a combined list it would be Duggars 1-5 and then Josie at 6 - I much prefer the Duggars dress choices to the Bateses so far.

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1

I actually really like Abbie's dress! It's just about what I'd guessed for her, lace bodice & flowy skirt, only I thought she'd go long sleeves. I don't think I've updated my order since JoKen so here goes:

1. Jinger - still, slay QUEEN.
  2. Abbie (for now at least until we see full pics)
  3. Lauren - unique, she knew what she wanted, love it. 
  4. Kendra - very her, kind of predictable, but she rocked it
  5. Jessa - beautiful unaltered dress, but still think it was too sparkly-princess-prom-y for Jess. 
    *big gap*
  6. Amy - simple, clean, nice, but boobs
  7. Anna - simple, clean, nice, horrible fit
  8. Joy - trainwreck
  9. Jill - even more trainwreck
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Not a fan of the ballgown look. It just reminds me of the prom, which most fundies probably never had the chance to experience, so I can see why that style might be an attraction. So, I did not care for Jessa or Abbie's dresses.

I loved Lauren's dress. I think Kendra's dress was perfect, for her.

Pre- alterations (in the dress shop), I loved Jill's dress, but not after it was butchered. It just didn't fit Jill right.

All in all, I likely would have chosen Jill's dress. Lauren's dress fit like a glove and was beautiful, but as a young woman I would not have been that bold (I was got married in the early 80s).

Just now, SassyPants said:

Not a fan of the ballgown look. It just reminds me of the prom, which most fundies probably never had the chance to experience, so I can see why that style might be an attraction. So, I did not care for Jessa or Abbie's dresses.

I loved Lauren's dress. I think Kendra's dress was perfect, for her.

Pre- alterations (in the dress shop), I loved Jill's dress, but not after it was butchered. It just didn't fit Jill right.

All in all, I likely would have chosen Jill's dress. Lauren's dress fit like a glove and was beautiful, but as a young woman I would not have been that bold (I got married in the early 80s).

• Upvote 1

My list:

1. Jinger - Impressive, flattering, fit the venue. Perfect.

2. Kendra - Not my personal style, but youthful and fun, with no obvious alterations.

3. Lauren - Sexy! Beautiful lace. Loses points for the modesty lining and the messy hair that made it hard to see the details of the dress.

4. Jessa - The only real designer outfit we’ve ever seen a Duggar wear. I thought it looked like a prom dress, not a wedding gown, but I was really impressed that she dared not to wear white.

5. Abbie - It’s pretty and fits well, but I’m not wowed.

6. Joy - She didn’t care about her dress and it showed.

7. Amy - We get it, you’re not part of modesty culture. 

8. Anna - It was the best she could do. I did like her bridesmaids’ dresses best, but they really looked like bridesmaids’ dresses - no one was going to wear them again.

9. Jill - Put on some shoes. Quit showing off how very modest you are and buy something that’s already modest instead of butchering a perfectly nice dress.

• Upvote 6

Lauren's dress (pre-modesty lining behind the lace, as the designer intended) is the only one I would actually wear. I actually love it. As for the others, since they aren't my personal taste, it's really about the confidence they give the girl wearing them. This puts Joy at last place for me. Aesthetically, I would rank her dress above a few others but she looked SO uncomfortable. Sorry, Joy. 

1. Lauren

2. Jinger - exuded confidence and you could tell she was happy with her choice

3. Kendra - poofy princess appropriate for an 18 year old who never got a sweet 16/homecoming/prom dress of her own

4. Jessa 

5. Abbie Grace

6. Anna

7. Jill

8. Joy - She belonged in a white, comfy sundress, cowboy boots, and a jean jacket outdoors at the ranch/camp. 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

My list:

Duggars

1. Jessa - suited her perfectly, didn't require modestifying and the fact that she dared wear a non-white dress in purity culture gives her several bonus points from me and puts her just in first place.

2. Jinger - stunning dress, especially from the back, fitted beautifully, could be successfully worn by non-fundie brides too. 

3. Lauren - liked how she wore something a bit daring and fitted and that was actually fashionable. Loses a couple of points for having her hair down and not showing off the back of her dress more.

4. Kendra - suited her perfectly, could also be worn successfully by non-fundie brides. Only reason I didn't put it higher was that it was a fairly safe option.

5. Abbie - I mean there's nothing wrong with it at all, it just seems like a bit of a safe option. Also it was perhaps a little "young" for her - not that she's old - but it seemed like the kind of dress more suited to someone like Kendra. 

6. Amy - Kind of a standard 2010s wedding dress. I have no issues with cleavage generally, but the way the top fitted (or didn't fit) made me kind of nervous.

7. Joy - really didn't like it and got the impression Joy only chose it because she didn't have any better options presented to her and was sick of the whole thing. It wasn't particularly flattering to Joy or brought out the best in her.

8. Jill - kind of a dog's breakfast of a dress (not sure if people know that saying outside Australia... oh well), didn't really fit properly and had basically been butchered. Though, in its mixed-up not-really-sure-what's-going-on-here state, it ended up being kind of an apt prediction of her future married life. 

9. Anna - it kind of seems unfair to put Anna last when she probably didn't have any other options available to her but it is what it is. The dress wasn't awful, but it would have been much better with cap sleeves and a boat neckline. 

Bateseses

1. Josie - like most of my faves, very much on trend and could successfully be worn by non-fundie brides. Also felt that the flowy boho vibe made it more youthful and therefore suitable for her (see other comments below)

2. Whitney (vow renewal) - seems somewhat cheating to include it since presumably married brides have more freedom, but anyway... really pretty, very much on trend and yay! Shoulders!

3. Tori - absolutely stunning dress, love the colour, but felt it was far too old and stiff on her and didn't really bring out the best in her personality - felt like she was playing dress-up in it. Honestly I'd have probably swapped her dress with Abbie's.

4. Alyssa - liked that she went a bit fitted and probably the narrowest strap she could get away with. Not terrible.

5. Whitney (wedding) - fitted her nicely, reasonably representative of what was fashionable at the time, but obviously more modest than she was happy with given her later choices.

6. Erin - quite flattering and also reasonably representative of the style at the time, but had basically been butchered through modestifying. Could have been so much better.

7. Michaela - oh honey no

If I was going to put them in a combined list it would be Duggars 1-5 and then Josie at 6 - I much prefer the Duggars dress choices to the Bateses so far.

Spot on for the Duggars. I don't pay as much attention to the Batesesesesses.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic