IGNORED

Jinder's Dresses: A Very Subjective Rundown/Review of all Duggar Wedding Gowns

Jinder Roles

I already know that if I ever get married, I'm going to BHLDN. I stalk their website regularly, though I'm not ready to get married (if BF asked tomorrow, I'd say no). They're just so. Damn. GORGEOUS. Oh, and shoes from American Duchess. Edwardian style ones. I need to cool my jets.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

45 minutes ago, MargaretElliott said:

I already know that if I ever get married, I'm going to BHLDN. I stalk their website regularly, though I'm not ready to get married (if BF asked tomorrow, I'd say no). They're just so. Damn. GORGEOUS. Oh, and shoes from American Duchess. Edwardian style ones. I need to cool my jets.

Holy shit - those are some gawjussss dresses!

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Yes! I stalked their website religiously for years! I originally was going to purchase my dress from them when I was looking for my wedding dress but all the dresses I liked were just slightly out of my price range. Not that I'm complaining about the dress I ended up getting because I love it. Also, American Duchess is bomb!

• Upvote 2

I regret a lot of choices we made regarding our wedding and wish we would have done things differently. I’d keep the husband exactly as he was, my rings and my shoes. I’d skip the elopement and have an actual wedding that his family felt forced to travel for (now we’ll never have both our families in the same place at the same time). I’d buy myself an awesome wedding dress with pockets (very important!) and have great music and dancing.

I’d also keep the bouquet that I made myself from buttons I collected from family and vintage shops. It still looks exactly like it did when we got married eight years ago and I still love it. 

Spoiler

F6C6C300-5EB2-4225-8DA8-556B251C64F2.jpeg

Edited by Iamtheway
The spoiler is not necessary if you put the photo outside of it ...
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 16

On 22/04/2018 at 7:18 AM, missaudrey said:

Ah, my favourite topic - wedding dresses!! I am very much a single pringle, but I found this dress a few years ago while looking at modest mormon wedding dresses for the Duggar brides. It's my perfect dress. I adore the beading and have always wanted a dress that had sleeves. I'm not a fan of white dresses either, so I like that this is more of a blush colour.

Hide contents

modest-wedding-dress-primrose-front.thumb.jpg.e64f2eb0a0329df4d709ab4eb5b500f5.jpg

modest-wedding-dress-primrose-back.thumb.jpg.75e5e184aa701f2465fbd365fd9dc8f4.jpg

This is beyond amazing. Wow <3

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

For my first wedding, I went with an off white (nearly champagne)  brocade material.  I was never a fan of icy white satin. 

for my second wedding, I decided to ditch the white, big skirt etc and had a spring green satin dress. Since green is my favorite color and my engagement ring is an emerald, I figured I deserved a green dress. 

9 hours ago, adidas said:

This is beyond amazing. Wow <3

That dress is gorgeous! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 6

18 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

For my first wedding, I went with an off white (nearly champagne)  brocade material.  I was never a fan of icy white satin. 

for my second wedding, I decided to ditch the white, big skirt etc and had a spring green satin dress. Since green is my favorite color and my engagement ring is an emerald, I figured I deserved a green dress. 

That dress is gorgeous! 

Both of your dressss sound beautiful. I also have never been a fan of icy white satin. My bridesmaids wore dark green. More power to you. 

On 5/9/2018 at 2:47 AM, Iamtheway said:

I regret a lot of choices we made regarding our wedding and wish we would have done things differently. I’d keep the husband exactly as he was, my rings and my shoes. I’d skip the elopement and have an actual wedding that his family felt forced to travel for (now we’ll never have both our families in the same place at the same time). I’d buy myself an awesome wedding dress with pockets (very important!) and have great music and dancing.

I’d also keep the bouquet that I made myself from buttons I collected from family and vintage shops. It still looks exactly like it did when we got married eight years ago and I still love it. 

Hide contents

F6C6C300-5EB2-4225-8DA8-556B251C64F2.jpeg

That is just so adorable! 

On 5/9/2018 at 3:05 PM, Pecansforeveryone said:

Both of your dressss sound beautiful. I also have never been a fan of icy white satin. My bridesmaids wore dark green. More power to you. 

I wanted icy white satin so that is what I had and my bridesmaids wore sky blue, but I kind of wish that we'd put them in forest green since we are redheads and there are so many reds in the family.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

On 8-5-2018 at 9:38 PM, MargaretElliott said:

I am waiting for a ring :my_biggrin: in the meantime planned my whole wedding in my head but I never agree with myself on the dress.

Now I found such a gorgeous one on this website (the Heritage) so now I want to get married even more :my_angry:

• Upvote 2

On 5/8/2018 at 3:38 PM, MargaretElliott said:

I bought a wedding dress from BHLDN and it was exactly what I wanted and fit off the rack.  I was so sad to return it when my fiancee broke off the engagement but they were gracious enough to accept the return so that was a small victory.  

• Sad 2
  • Love 6

• 1 month later...

Collage 2018-06-19 21_56_06.jpg

20180619_214047.jpg

Since my previous posr wint allow me to write....this is my wedding dress circa 1987. Not typical for the time period.there was a chapellength train which flowed froma bow between the shoulder blades. Did not get great Details of the dress in photos. I had almost given up on finding anything that wasnt overdone! I still have the dress even though I doubt either of my 2 girls would wear it even restyled...i hatedmy ahir the hairdrsserwas way behind even though I jad booked months in advance and did not do the updo as I had requested. Ijad hoped to removetheveil from the hat at the recpetion but couldbt becuase of the mucky mess he had hidden under it!

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lauren and Josiah were bound in holy fundie matrimony today.

So far I like Lauren's dress. It's a short-sleeve, boat neck, simple sheath wedding dress. Seems to be a satin or silk crepe material. And she's wearing a cathedral veil with lace detailing on the bottom. The veil seems to be of good material and lays nicely. The dress also appears to be made modestly instead of altered...  and well fitted. Wish I could see the back. 

Good job Lauren! 

Gonna do some dress sleuthing to discover more details. 

Stay tuned for a full review of her dress and my updated rankings. I'll probably officially update after the wedding special  airs. I assume it will be the season premiere of Counting On which starts July 30th.

Spoiler

image.png.fcef8924ddbe99b9108913bf72a265a5.png

imageproxy.php?img=&key=eb941d1cec36b5e7

Edited by Jinder Roles
  • Upvote 12
  • Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, should we update our rankings now that we've seen Lauren's dress? @Jinder Roles I look to you as the OP in particular.

I can't find my original response to this thread but here's my updated rankings:

1. Jinger

2. Jessa (I commend her choice of pink)

3. Kendra (almost put as #2 because it fit her personality so well but I hate the ruffles)

4. Jill (I'm in the minority but I love lace, even though the fit/alterations were bad)

*5. Lauren (I'm happy she chose an already modest dress and didn't get a frankendress, saving us an episode with Ms. Renee and her obnoxious voice)

6. Joy (though I actually don't mind her dress, but I can tell she didn't have her heart in it)

7. Anna 

Here's a better picture of the dress, clearly inspired by the Duchess of Sussex's minimalism, though a bit boring for my taste. While they both had lovely long veils, Meghan's had the wide crew neck to make it more interesting.

image.png.efb65b8864f800f0e0d8b8f9f4477e22.png

Edited by freethemall
  • Upvote 6

Looks like the back of Lauren's dress had some embellishment - not quite as plain as we'd thought!duggar-7.jpg

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 3

11 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

It's hard to go below Anna's dress. (in the ratings!)

I still think it is also not fair to include Anna's dress, she had to live with hand-me-downs while the others got designer dresses!

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

I love what Lauren did to her hair love th soft curls and the jewelery in her hair. To bad it was obscured by the veil. And she just wins loint for having brushed her hair ;) when and if I get married I would love to do something like that in my hair :D

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

@freethemall, I’m still gonna wait until the wedding special because I’d like to see the back of the dress more clearly, and how it moves (as well as other minor details) Plus I need more material for a snarky update. 

But don’t let me stop y’all from giving your own rankings. 

Lauren is currently high up there for me but that might change as I see more details. 

• Upvote 4

I think Lauren's dress fit her beautifully. I'm kind of impressed she got away with a form fitting dress in fundie world. I don't think her dress was to tight at all. I just could see in a fundie world obsessed with collarbone and upper thigh, it might be a bit daring. Kind of like Jessa's dress was a little daring not being white. That and the fact that Lauren and Jessa's dress weren't modestysteined is a huge plus for them. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

I was just thinking about how I'm surprised they haven't tried to milk the whole josh thing with letting anna have a vow renewal.

• Disgust 1
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 2

I'm here with. 

1. Jessa: Still number one because I love that she didn't go with the typical fundie dress. Yes it was prom like and princess-y but damn she wore it well 

2. Kendra: The sparkle just worked so well for her. I may not have loved the bottom but I will give Kendra that she rocked it. 

3. Jinger: I love the dress but I feel like the dress wore her. I just saw Jinger doing something more boho and less formal. It was a lovely dress.

4. Jill: Would have been a fabulous dress, if she hadn't altered it to death 

5. Lauren: It was ok. The whole look was a bit...I don't know, like she was going for simple but then didn't. It was just a mismatch in my mind. But I don't like the whole simple thing. I didn't like Meghan Markle's dress either. 

6. Anna: It may have been second hand but at least she appeared to be happy with it. 

7. Joy: Awkward sleeves, Maybe I would have liked it more if I didn't have to watch the damn episode where she picked out the dress. Just felt like she didn't want to be there and she didn't want to make any decisions about the dress. Hence, the quilted Mrs. Renee Frankenstein Monster, patchwork quilt dress. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Does anyone know where Lauren's dress came from? Even though I hated Meghan Markle's dress, I love this dress. The simplicity and bias cut with the detailing on the back was beautiful. It was properly fitted, unlike Meghan's, and she didn't look like she just slapped on the first dress she could find, and ran out the door. 

• Upvote 1

I have a kid getting married soon and I’m loving seeing everyone’s dresses ! 

My take on the Duggar Gowns:

1- Jessa - I am in love with that dress and would buy it and wear it all day, everyday. at home, despite being round, and old. 

2- Lauren - This one surprised me, because I usually like froof and bling. But the more I see it, the more I like it. And I love the juxtaposition between the big veil and the simple dress. Love the hair, and the stark in the front / fancy in the back is a cool twist. She’s a tiny young thing, and this looked elegant without being overwhelming. I loved Meghan Markle’s too. 

3- Kendra - giggly, bubbly girl. Giggly, bubbly dress. Perfect.

4- Joy - Very pretty, and suited her. I liked the “patchwork” feel, and the sleeves. She obviously hated the process, but ended up looking great, and it looked comfortable, which would be a big plus, especially since she seemed the most anxious of all of them. Now that’s a girl who was more interested in the marriage than the wedding - good for her.

5- Jinger  - it’s a stunningly gorgeous dress, but it just didn’t seem suited to her. Too much for such a small frame, too formal. But obviously she loved it, and has the eye, the temperament and the money to pick what she wants , so go Jinger.

6 - Anna and Jill - I like both their dresses, and thought they both looked lovely. Anna didn’t get the same shot as the other girls, but it’s kind of sweet it’s a family dress - if that’s what she wanted. 

. I’d rate them both higher - but the other dresses were all extra gorgeous. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CancerBomb said:

I hated Meghan Markle's dress

I loved Meghan's dress. And, in person, it looked much better than it did/does in photos. Of course, I only saw the top of it in the carriage, but it looked perfect and beautiful on her. :)

• Upvote 7
  • Love 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic