IGNORED

Erin and Chad Paine 2: The higher the hair...

samurai_sarah

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's easy enough to do, but canned tomatoes are fair game. In fact, they're likely to have much more flavor in cold seasons than "fresh" ones. And if they've been in a can with green chilies for awhile, there will have been a bit of a marinating effect. There's nothing unseemly in them. I have never heard of people making chili in winter with fresh tomatoes, actually. It'd be different.

Do people not actually use canned tomatoes in their soups and sauces? I make some kind of pasta every week and usually use imported San Marzano tomatoes, squished by hand, of course. I don't buy much canned food, but tomatoes, white beans, kidney beans, and refried beans are always around.

@backyard sylphI married into an Italian family and I know how to make the secret sauce. It uses only canned tomato sauce and canned San Marzano tomatoes (I enjoy squishing them by hand, but we got a blender and husband wants to use that instead.) My husband says fresh tomatoes are too watery and won’t give the sauce the right consistency. 

We also use cans of tomato sauce, black beans (drained), kidney beans, and whole kernel corn for our vegan chili... as well as cans of whole kernel corn and black beans (drained) for our vegetarian burritos. 

Other than that we usually use fresh produce. 

I am happy you got the recipe, @VelociRapture. Tell your husband to use the blender for margaritas, though, and leave the tomatoes alone!

My mom's family was from Italy. I cook more fresh food than they did because of the era and circumstances. But I treasure my memories of trips to the Italian market, and the dinners that ensued. I can still smell it in my mind. I do not treasure memories of Grandma's pantry, which was built into the wall above their scary basement steps.

Or maybe I do. Aging is funny that way. In any case, I'll confess I get a bit annoyed whenever people in various parts of the net, mostly not here, act as though we all have access to the exact same things in each season. We work with what we have. It's why Italian-Americans invented potatoes and eggs and hot dogs and eggs, and potatoes and hot dogs and eggs, all of which are oddly delicious.

4 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

I have never heard of people making chili in winter with fresh tomatoes, actually. It'd be different.

Oh yeah.  We have to remember I live in Southern California with year round produce and yes here I make homemade salsa all year.  But then I have my own chiles growing in the backyard.  After a few decades here, I've forgotten what it's like in some parts of the country.

I don't see the problem with any canned veggies. Yeah fresh ones are GREAT in season, but suck out of season. Solution is some canned veggies sitting in your pantry. Not to mention not everyone can get their hands on the most fresh vegetables all the time. And when you're young and single like me cooking for one, you don't want to throw food away and buying fresh can be difficult to balance the right amount for the week without spending too much. I only have so much money lol.

I have a chili I like to make from canned foods + fresh chicken:

2.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken, in pieces
2 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped green peper
2 12 oz chili sauce (I like Heinz)
2 (15-16 oz) cans undrained diced tomatoes
2 (15-16 oz) cans undrained spicy chili beans
1 16 oz can of jelly cranberry sauce (for real)
2 tbsp chili posder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper
+ some olive oil to saute the onions, chicken

cook the chicken and onions for about 8-10 minutes, then dump everything else in and simmer for an hour (or crock pot it) server with sour cream, tortilla chips, cheddar cheese. 

No shame in canned cooking!

I used to work in a green bean factory and a potato factory. They are out in the fields right where the produce is. I'll take canned and frozen vegetables over the vegetables picked a continent away, using weird gasses to ripen them any day.

It's too hot right now for chili/ I've always wanted to try chicken chili so I can't wait to make that recipe once it is actually fall so thank you @habert

I just want to throw in that frozen veggies retain waaaay more of their nutrients than canned ones, to the point where they tend to have more nutrients than out-of-season/imported fresh vegetables. Frozen >>>> canned. With obvious exceptions. Canned tomatoes are everything in a climate where fresh tomatoes taste like nothing 9 months out of the year.

I use canned tomatoes. They give sauces more flavor than fresh. But I buy them from Aldi, they have their own house brand that's organic and doesn't use syrup or any of that other stuff. I made fresh tomato soup a couple of weeks ago. It was basically tomato flavored water. I wish I used canned instead.

I have made tomato soup and sauces out of fresh tomatoes, but it's really labor intensive because you have to boil, skin, and strain the tomatoes before you can do anything with them. I strongly prefer canned.

Ok, I'm going to eat some serious humble pie: I made some unfair assumptions on Erin's recipe, and for that, I'm sorry.  I've never had Rotel and only heard of it via the Duggars, aka the kings of can-o-crap, and I incorrectly assumed Rotel is more processed than it actually is.  I do use canned tomatoes, but for dietary reasons my family does not use any other canned foods.  Secondly, I was unable to access a link to the recipe, so I made a second assumption that since Erin is the daughter of Kelly Bates, whose various recipes have included pizza on white bread and some baked bologna grossness (or something similar), that this one would be more of the same.  Then I remembered later that Erin had "introduced" broccoli to her siblings, so of course she likely cooks differently than her mother.  

Mea culpa; I stand corrected.  

On 10/11/2017 at 6:00 AM, JillyO said:

I just want to throw in that frozen veggies retain waaaay more of their nutrients than canned ones, to the point where they tend to have more nutrients than out-of-season/imported fresh vegetables. Frozen >>>> canned. With obvious exceptions. Canned tomatoes are everything in a climate where fresh tomatoes taste like nothing 9 months out of the year.

Yes--and way less salt! 

Like others have said, I do use canned tomatoes (And canned beans. I can never soak beans the right amount of time and am afraid of getting sick). I have heard there are actually some health benefits to canned tomatoes over fresh. Like more lycopene from the canning process? Don't know how true that is though.

The only canned vegetable I'll use is canned tomatoes for sauces, lasagna, etc. Any other canned veggie just grosses me out for some reason. :pb_lol: I do use frozen though. 

I grew up in SoCal with fresh produce pretty much year round. Went to visit my grandma in Florida one year when I was around eight and she took my mom and I to a cafeteria-style restaurant. I got a nice selection, including some green beans, which are my favorite. Got to the table and took my first bite. Immediately spit it back on the plate and told my mom they had gone bad or something. My mom tries a green bean and says 'It's canned. She's never had canned ones.' My grandma, who had raised my mom on canned food, was shocked. I still despise most canned things, but I also use canned tomatoes for sauces and chilis. 

Also, bless my mama for never feeding me that stuff :my_angel:

My parents were very much working class when I grew up and my dad worked in a food warehouse for a while so we got lots of canned veggies. Corn was about the only one I could tolerate so cue many weeknight arguments at the table over me not eating my nasty canned green beans, peas, or spinach etc. I grew up thinking I hated most green vegetables and it wasn't until I was adult and was able to make myself fresh vegetables that I found I do actually like green beans, peas, and fresh spinach. I know my parents thought they were doing the best they could to give up nutritious food on a budget but really it just turned me off to vegetables for a number of years. 

my mom's family was poor and my grandmother home-canned everything.  according to my mom, everything was mushy and bland, so she always went with fresh or frozen after she got married.  my in-laws were both raised poor during the 1930s and 40s, but they stayed with canned out of habit.  i tried very hard to be polite and choke down the gray-toned mush at sunday dinners.  my MIL had a weird habit of not draining the vegetables after cooking them; she put them in a serving bowl with most of the water from the pot, so you'd scoop wet, drippy, soft beans/peas/corn onto your plate.  i never figured out why she did that.

Microwaveable steam in bag frozen vegetables are one of the greatest wonders of the modern world. I can boil some carrots on the stove for 20 minutes or pop a bag in the microwave for 5 minutes and the difference in taste is negligible.

I can't do canned veggies because I hate salt, but I don't have a problem with canned tomatoes. (I actually really like the diced Rotel with habaneros! Easy way to spice up your chili without burning your fingers dicing peppers.)

My youngest like tomato soup.

She insists on fresh Roma tomatoes, she roasts them first with thyme, then skins them.

while tomatoes are roasting she cooks onion and garlic , she cuts up 2 potatoes and adds to the pot.  She then adds 2 cups vegetable stock and the tomatoes as well as some tomato paste to the pot.  This brings in some richness to the soup. Simmer for 20 minutes and then blend.  Serve with salt and pepper to taste and fresh bread.  Yum

1 hour ago, Percy said:

My youngest like tomato soup.

She insists on fresh Roma tomatoes, she roasts them first with thyme, then skins them.

while tomatoes are roasting she cooks onion and garlic , she cuts up 2 potatoes and adds to the pot.  She then adds 2 cups vegetable stock and the tomatoes as well as some tomato paste to the pot.  This brings in some richness to the soup. Simmer for 20 minutes and then blend.  Serve with salt and pepper to taste and fresh bread.  Yum

I made soup like that for my tomato soup loving kid and he refused to eat it because it didn't taste like the soup they had at school. I asked his preschool teacher what their soup was and she admitted it was just Campbell's! To me, Campbell's tastes like ketchup mixed with water, and my soup tasted aaaaammmmaaaazing, but I guess to a 3 or 4 year old ketchup water was preferred :)

We eat most of our vegetables fresh. I really loved asparagus when I was younger, and one time we were at my Uncle's house for Christmas and I was served canned asparagus. Now having only had crisp, fresh asparagus, I was disappointed to be given the mushy canned variety he had.

My uncle said, "Oh we have some fresh asparagus, would you like some?" And I got very excited. He brought out a new can and opened it in front of me. My mum couldn't stop laughing.

16 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

Microwaveable steam in bag frozen vegetables are one of the greatest wonders of the modern world. I can boil some carrots on the stove for 20 minutes or pop a bag in the microwave for 5 minutes and the difference in taste is negligible.

I can't do canned veggies because I hate salt, but I don't have a problem with canned tomatoes. (I actually really like the diced Rotel with habaneros! Easy way to spice up your chili without burning your fingers dicing peppers.)

Yaasss. For those of us who live in the snowy tundra yaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssss.

Those steamers bags > canned. Always. 

I'm just glad he didn't say that Carson's human nature was already apparent (...Derick...) or Brooklyn had a "servant's heart."

Sounds like Cherin do at least love and cherish their kiddos and seem them as individuals. Unlike some other fundies we could mention (Derick, Rods, Mechelle...)

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived