IGNORED

Counting On: Season 4, Part 1: Back to Planet Duggarville

choralcrusader8613

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Side hugging is a Fundie and IBLP thing and not just a Duggar thing.  It is the norm for many in the circles they run in to side hug. 

True story: I was teaching the coming of age program this spring at my UU church.  Most kiddos were 14ish.  We had a late night session the day before and after rehearsing their credos, we watched airplane *grin*

Anyways, one teen left his cell behind, I grabbed it and he went to hug me, then asked if it was okay (very sweet btw!).  I said, "sure, let's sidehug - leave room for the holy spirit!" . . . Totally went over their heads, but my former Baptist coteacher chuckled pretty good ;)

I got no problems hugging, but I've seen l&o: svu - last thing I need is to be seen hugging a teenager in a dark lit hall - le scandal!!  haha.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Forgive me, but isn't this how you establish "norms" or "Averages"? By taking a cohort, by age, or size, and making lists of what they do or don't do at the same age? It is sometimes interesting to hear how differently people do progress through life, whether it's an area of the country, or the world, or an age group, or even a class of students.

Yeah but it's not fair to compare a child, Jackson, who is definitely limited in his opportunities by his parents, to other children who are encouraged in their education, allowed to join the Boy Scouts and encouraged to help people outside of their family. And even if Jackson wasn't a star student and uninterested in scouts, that's okay too. That would make him an average teenaged boy.

5 hours ago, AmericaandMessybuns said:

I see Michelle and Jim Bob side hug their kids, and siblings side hug. For those of you have watched for a long time- is this the way its always been. Or was that a post Josh-scandal mandate?

When somebody who I'd prefer not to hug tried to hug me, I turn it in to a side hug. Side hugs are awkward, but they're a polite rebuff.

Also, my dad side hugs my sister and me. I'm not sure where that originated from, but he's a a non-IBLP Jim Bob sort and super awkward. 

5 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Thoroughly chastised. Hangs head in shame and takes self to prayer closet. Windstorm return  to FJ  after long contemplation of my sins.

It's okay! Fear Not! Fundie Jesus will forgive your sins, when you're done in the prayer closet though...

Jinger may have always been interested in cooking, her brothers' talking heads were complimentary about her ability when she lived at home and they seem to miss her.

But IMO like so much at the TTH, her cooking was limited by the cans and boxes in the pantry.  Real food and cooking from scratch may have been unfamiliar to her so Jeremy's Grandma's  food was a completely different approach for her.  None of the Duggars seem to be adventurous eaters,  witness the fact that they are always shown at Tacos for Life yet no one knew what chorizo is. 

Now that she has access to decent ingredients, it seem like she is expanding her reach.

For me, this is a better storyline than watching her pee on a stick.

I totally get the side hug thing. I'm a teacher, so when you can't avoid a hug altogether, a side hug is the way to go. Butttt what I was wondering is can family not even full on hug? Parents with kids? Siblings? In recent episodes I've seen JB and Michelle side hug their kids of the opposite sex. Have they always done that or is that just post Josh.

I'm not a big hugger with my family, now thinking about it more I probably do side hug or three quarters hug with my dad. He is a alot taller and bigger than me so to try and do a full "front hug" would take more effort and feel awkward. 

15 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I watched the new episode last night. When I saw Jeremy insist the hot coffee wouldn't spill, then it did, then say how did you know it was gonna spill?! I was dying for Jinger to say something snarky and put him in his place. That scene pissed me off. I've decided Jeremy is rather arrogant. Bleh.

She knew it was going to spill because apparently she isn't a complete arrogant dumbass, who thinks she can control physics.

52 minutes ago, AmericaandMessybuns said:

I totally get the side hug thing. I'm a teacher, so when you can't avoid a hug altogether, a side hug is the way to go. Butttt what I was wondering is can family not even full on hug? Parents with kids? Siblings? In recent episodes I've seen JB and Michelle side hug their kids of the opposite sex. Have they always done that or is that just post Josh.

I've wondered the same thing. And it just strikes me as strange, because a big bear hug from dad (or mom) can do wonders for a kid who is crying.

So, I just got done watching the mini wedding special... It was actually beautiful, short of the special agent courier and the creepy butterfly kisses song. Can we take a moment, just a short one, To appreciate how pretty Michelle actually looked. Modern hair, Modern dress. Was she feeling okay that day? Also... and I am just putting this out there now that I have seen them together in action.... I think Kendra's parents were the inspiration for the Newlins in True Blood. Also. I wanted to throw makeup and contacts and a curling iron at Joy so bad. 

7 hours ago, SadieJane said:

Also. I wanted to throw makeup and contacts and a curling iron at Joy so bad. 

Nope. Don't even go there about the glasses. I can't wear contacts, so glasses are my only option to be able to see to read.

My distance vision is fine, but as I've gotten older, my arms have gotten shorter... lol

Just finishing watching the recent episode of Counting on and I've got to say Ben and Jessa seem like very involved, loving parents. I love seeing Ben in the parenting trenches with his wife and talking about how it's ncessary to share those duties. I'm really starting to root for this family.

Derrick as the "midhusband" for Jill during her pregnancy made me so angry. These two are so freakin' irresponsible. 

Jill: "I can keep an eye on myself." No. No you can't. What an irresponsible idiot. 

7 hours ago, SadieJane said:

So, I just got done watching the mini wedding special... It was actually beautiful, short of the special agent courier and the creepy butterfly kisses song. Can we take a moment, just a short one, To appreciate how pretty Michelle actually looked. Modern hair, Modern dress. Was she feeling okay that day? Also... and I am just putting this out there now that I have seen them together in action.... I think Kendra's parents were the inspiration for the Newlins in True Blood. Also. I wanted to throw makeup and contacts and a curling iron at Joy so bad. 

+10 for the True Blood reference. They certainly have the look and affect down. 

10 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

She knew it was going to spill because apparently she isn't a complete arrogant dumbass, who thinks she can control physics.

Am I the only one who was impressed that Jinger not only knew what the, law of physics was but used it correctly in a sentence?

8 hours ago, SadieJane said:

Why? She looks adorable in her glasses?  Again Why? She's 19, very pretty and doesn't NEED makeup, she should run with it.  You are perpetuating that myth that women must be pretty and available at all times.  Now yes she was a bridesmaid, however she looked lovely, she IS pregnant and perhaps her contacts bother her or they aren't working with her eyes anymore, I didn't see anything wrong with her hair.

4 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Why? She looks adorable in her glasses?  Again Why? She's 19, very pretty and doesn't NEED makeup, she should run with it. 

I actually paused it to tell my husband how gorgeous I thought Joy looked during the getting ready scene. *shrugs* Everyone's got different opinions I guess.

9 hours ago, SadieJane said:

What is wrong with wearing glasses? I wear mine all the time, I don't wear contacts nor will I wear contacts. It's ridiculous the way that people keep saying "Why would Joy wear her glasses?" She wore them because she wanted to see. 

Also, I'm going to be a bridesmaid next year and you bet I'll be wearing my glasses. 

44 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

What is wrong with wearing glasses? I wear mine all the time, I don't wear contacts nor will I wear contacts. It's ridiculous the way that people keep saying "Why would Joy wear her glasses?" She wore them because she wanted to see. 

Also, I'm going to be a bridesmaid next year and you bet I'll be wearing my glasses. 

It wasn't the glasses really so much as she looked like she just rolled out of bed and put on her bridesmaids dress and went to the wedding. Sorry to all with glasses, including myself. I will see my way into the prayer closet now.

55 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Why? She looks adorable in her glasses?  Again Why? She's 19, very pretty and doesn't NEED makeup, she should run with it.  You are perpetuating that myth that women must be pretty and available at all times.  Now yes she was a bridesmaid, however she looked lovely, she IS pregnant and perhaps her contacts bother her or they aren't working with her eyes anymore, I didn't see anything wrong with her hair.

Not pretty at all times, no, but when you are part of a wedding party, yeah. She is pretty anyway, I would have just liked to have seen some glitz in it. Omg I don't know it was just my opinion. I've been chastised and feel the shame. Never mind me. Let's move on.

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

I wear glasses. I don't wear contacts. My glasses are a health aid. No one criticizes someone for wearing hearing aids or using a wheelchair or cane while being in a wedding party.

And I absolute have noticed that NO ONE criticizes men for wearing glasses at "formal events"

As in, "gosh, Secretary Rick Perry, shouldn't you be wearing contacts to attend that Cabinet Meeting? Show some respect!"

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

I can't wear contacts, I've tried, all kinds over the years, I want to claw my eyes out, especially this time of year, I have no make up on no contacts in and I'm living on prescription eye drops and my eyes STILL itch. I have dry allergy eyes, contacts are just a no go for me.

I will say most people call me a "plain Jane" I don't wear make up, never have, I will on occasion, but it just isn't me.  So I don't think it is weird that a woman doesn't wear a lot of make up, even when in a wedding.  I thought she had enough on, her hair looked fine, the long messy/beach waves are still in trendy here in middle America, I'm about 7 1/2 hours directly north of Joy and I see it on girls here age all the time.

17 hours ago, calimojo said:

I just watched the episode and had to come over here to see if anyone else was bothered by the Hot Coffee scene.  Jeremy showed his true colors there.  

he is also controlling, and I don't think he will take kindly to things if Jinger ever openly disagrees with him.

I also find it interesting that they are going out of their way to show that Jinger is a good cook.  

He's an a-hole. Like I said before, star athlete becomes preacher + all ego. She's clueless.

I think he was hired to to a)prove the girls get choices, b to appeal to a more mainstream Christian audience. Like Derrick, before Derrick lost his mind in dangerous Sintral America. 

It's her role--she's the "good cook." The first to get married had to play the "poor dumb bride trying to please her man." That's done to death now (one lesson they learned at TLC at least) so now we have the good cook who is learning to live outside the home compound. Her homemaking skills were to bake 11ty hundred frozen burritos for the family when she was 7 or something like that. It's still showing the woman doing what pleases the man. He is her "guide" she is his "helpmeet" by learning to make food he loves.

They also have to show Jinger cooking because what else is there? Unlike each and every one of her married sisters, she wasn't pregnant nearly immediately after birth. So there are no belly pics to post, no ultrasounds, jinder reveals, twin speculation, birth specials, etc. She also doesn't live near family so they can't show her hanging out at TTH, getting her nails done with her sisters or eating endless tacos with them. Her main job is to keep house and cook for Jeremy and follow him around when he goes on trips or preaching or whatever. That is IT. You can bet that once she's pregnant, the cooking focus will fade away.

I kind of wish they'd get a puppy, like a really active type of dog that she could take an interest in and maybe train. 

But did anyone who commented that seeing Jinger learn to cook and use fresh ingredients was a positive actually mean that they believed she was now an emancipated, independent woman?

I always take those comments as having an invisible footnote that any positives or benefits in her life only occur within the controlling, patriarchal marriage institution and religious community she is part of.

In other words, if she develops a hobby she enjoys and is eating healthy that is better than using extremely unhealthy ingredients, like when she was growing up, but it is still occurring the exact same Christian patriarchal context. It's a very limited and small benefit without any effect on the power dynamics that oppress her.

I guess anyone that points out what they perceived to be as a small or limited benefit of her new situation should always point out that they don't believe it changes any power relationships. And anyone who wishes to emphasize Jinger's ongoing oppression only has a more cosmetic face since she married could perhaps  assume that  any discussion of benefits  is meant only within this very limited scope. That way we don't have to have the same argument every single time!

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic

Archived