IGNORED

Counting On: Season 4, Part 1: Back to Planet Duggarville

choralcrusader8613

6 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

At the moment, nobody is courting, which means that if you count courting + a typical 3 month engagement we are likely 6 months away from the next possible wedding (i.e. not earlier than March).

This is very true. I don't keep up with these things very well but are there rumors about any courtships in the works? I guess it would be Jana, John David, or Josiah? I don't know how old the twin boys are.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

This is very true. I don't keep up with these things very well but are there rumors about any courtships in the works? I guess it would be Jana, John David, or Josiah? I don't know how old the twin boys are.

JD/Jana are 27.

Josiah is 21.

Jed/Jer will be 19 in December of this year.

25 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

JD/Jana are 27.

Josiah is 21.

Jed/Jer will be 19 in December of this year.

Them Duggars better git on marryin off dem twinz fast! They're wasting prime baby making years!

9 hours ago, subsaharanafrica said:

. El Salvador's maternal mortality rate is not all that much worse than the United States (81 deaths vs 21 per 100,000 births).

I have two comments though.  

1) The mortality rate in El Salvador probably varies greatly depending on where you are.  Jill has stated that the closest OB is 2 1/2 hrs away.  So the mortality rate may be much lower than 81/100,000 in a city but multiple times that in the jungle where they are living.

2)81 is still nearly 4 times 21.  It may not be as high as where you live but she had a choice in whether to go to CA.  She doesn't live there and while she is expected to follow her headship everywhere, she doesn't actually have to.  He/they could have made the decision for her to stay in the US.  

1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Nothing really on the twins. There were rumors though of JD seeing someone in secret but I doubt they're true. The media didn't really have any proof to back that up. The only thing that could actually be something is with Josiah. He has said a couple of times in the past year that he's interested in someone. 

53 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Them Duggars better git on marryin off dem twinz fast! They're wasting prime baby making years!

Doesn't matter as much for they boys.  They can - and likely will - take young brides. 

Jana is the only daughter we know  who is passing on blessings now and with each year that goes by the chances of her having a large family get smaller and smaller.   I'm willing to bet that is intentional.  

Must be so sad for Jim Boobie having no more daughters to sell for the next 6 or 7 years at least.  Just dull boys and Joe has sufficiently covered that corner.  It's only babies from here on out and that'll get even more boring than it is now. Troubled times ahead.  Spurgeon and Izzie can't talk well enough to do entertaining talking heads.  I predict the return of Jordyn and Josie talking heads before long.

Speaking of returns, it it me or has Jackson not aged at all?  Seems like he should be at least 20 by now.

I don't understand the rush to marry Joe and Kendra.  They still have not completely  showed the season with the run up to Joy and Austins wedding, so strictly from a ratings generator standpoint, they wasted a wedding.

19 hours ago, nst said:

should we call a doctor ? Dr Quinn Medicine woman where are you?

Dr. Quinn??? She worked with HEATHENS! :jawdrop:

28 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Speaking of returns, it it me or has Jackson not aged at all?  Seems like he should be at least 20 by now.

He was born on one of the specials. He seems very baby-ish still. I'd hate to think what Josie is like!

I finally was able to see Joe's wedding.  It was nice overall.  I'll admit that I couldn't even be BEC when he ugly cried at seeing her come down the aisle.  Does anyone know who the guy was that came down with the rings?  Joe certainly seems to like to surprise Kendra but I think we found out that she's hard to surprise?  He likes her constant giggle that he gets in response.

I'm pretty sure i spotted Joshly.  First, when they brought Mary down the aisle a row back were the M kids then a brown haired woman and behind her a guy in the blue suit like the groomsmen but I couldn't make out his face even though I really should have.  Later it's shown that Austin, Ben, Jeremy and some toddlers were in the row behind Mary sitting next to the M kids.  The mystery guy appears to be holding a baby in one of these shots (for a while I thought it may be D'weck who is also in the same area).  At the end they are gone but the M kids are still there (Mac appears to be drinking a soda) as is the brown haired woman.  And this time you can see that guy's face is purposefully blurred out.  Interesting. 

I like the top half of Kendra's dress but don't care for the bottom.  And Butterfly Kisses is a bizarre choice for a song at that time but I guess they were praying with her parents and she's only 19.  Maybe the song has a sentimental value?  Did anyone else catch that Joe asked to get to know her "at the end of last year"?  As in shortly after turning 18.  I wonder how long he's had "boy-girl feelings" for her but waited to act when she was an adult. 

Finally, man did he go in for the kill with that kiss.  It looked painful, like he was leaning too hard into her. 

1 hour ago, JMO said:

I have two comments though.  

1) The mortality rate in El Salvador probably varies greatly depending on where you are.  Jill has stated that the closest OB is 2 1/2 hrs away.  So the mortality rate may be much lower than 81/100,000 in a city but multiple times that in the jungle where they are living.

I'll buy that the closest English speaking OB was 2 1/2 hours away.

By the numbers their maternity care should be light years better than here and who would have guessed that we have maternity wards staffed with OBs and licensed midwives all over the country. 

I do admit that I get batty when people mistate reality to make themselves out to be martyrs. Especially when in doing so they basically paint a picture of women of color squatting in bushes to deliver because they "don't know nothin' about birthin' no babies". 

FWIW according to Wiki the second highest direct cause of maternal mortality in El Salvador is botched abortions due to the country's total ban. 

34 minutes ago, JMO said:

I'm pretty sure i spotted Joshly.  First, when they brought Mary down the aisle a row or two back were the M kids then a brown haired woman and a guy in the blue suit like the groomsmen but I couldn't make out his face even though I really should have.  Later it's shown that Austin, Ben, Jeremy and some toddlers were in the row behind Mary.  The mystery guy appears to be holding a baby in one of these shots (for a while I thought it may be D'weck who is also in the same area).  At the end they are gone but the M kids are still there as is the brown haired woman.  And this time you can see that guy's face is purposefully blurred out.  Interesting. 

I think I spotted Meredith several rows behind the family.  She was sitting on an older lady's lap.  The lady had long brown hair and kind of looked like Anna's mom.  I spotted Michael and Marcus up front.  I think Marcus was sitting on someone's lap.  At first I thought he was on Derek's lap, but then they flashed over that area again, and I'm not so sure that was Derek holding him as it looked like Derek had another kid on his lap (Israel?).  

@JenniferJuniper Jackson is 13. He's a month younger than my grandson, which is how I remember. My grandson is a star scout, taking high school algebra in 8th grade in ebil public school, and has been helping tutor an immigrant family from Afghanistan. Not that I'm a proud grandma or anything. What has Jackson been doing?

So I'm sorry if this has been discussed, I used to read here a lot and haven't been back in a while. I just watched the most recent episode and I wonder. Can no one of the opposite sex who is not married do a frontal hug? I see Michelle and Jim Bob side hug their kids, and siblings side hug. For those of you have watched for a long time- is this the way its always been. Or was that a post Josh-scandal mandate?

22 hours ago, SeekingAdventure said:

@seraaa yeah, I think most people would switch it up if there's somebody nearby who joins the conversation who wouldn't understand. I always speak proper german at work. I find it weird if people ask me if I can say something in my dialect, knowing that they wouldn't understand everything. It's weird because I'd actually have to try hard to speak in my accent, rather than doing it naturally if the person next to me speaks the dialect too, and I also know that I have to repeat half of the things.

Totally! It is weird to feel like you're being made an example of.

To be fair to the Duggars, we don't know that they wouldn't switch, given that the show only really depicts them in their familiar environment. Chances are they wouldn't, but people adapt. 

31 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

@JenniferJuniper Jackson is 13. He's a month younger than my grandson, which is how I remember. My grandson is a star scout, taking high school algebra in 8th grade in ebil public school, and has been helping tutor an immigrant family from Afghanistan. Not that I'm a proud grandma or anything. What has Jackson been doing?

It's bad enough when we play the, 'By __ age I'd done X, Y, and Z!' game with fundie adults. Can we not play it with 13-year-olds? I get that we're judging JB&M for limiting their children, and that's totally valid, but let's maybe give the poor kid a few more years before we start questioning why he's not leading the parade and curing the common cold.

6 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

It's bad enough when we play the, 'By __ age I'd done X, Y, and Z!' game with fundie adults. Can we not play it with 13-year-olds? I get that we're judging JB&M for limiting their children, and that's totally valid, but let's maybe give the poor kid a few more years before we start questioning why he's not leading the parade and curing the common cold.

Thoroughly chastised. Hangs head in shame and takes self to prayer closet. Windstorm return  to FJ  after long contemplation of my sins.

27 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Thoroughly chastised. Hangs head in shame and takes self to prayer closet. Windstorm return  to FJ  after long contemplation of my sins.

I really don't think it is a sin to be a proud grandma.  Brag on. :)  It is lovely that your grandson has been given opportunities to shine.  

I suppose Jackson could be the star of the ATI Bible Bee or the bestest little cadet at climbing ropes at ALERT for kids, though. 

1 hour ago, AmericaandMessybuns said:

For those of you have watched for a long time- is this the way its always been. Or was that a post Josh-scandal mandate?

Side hugging is a Fundie and IBLP thing and not just a Duggar thing.  It is the norm for many in the circles they run in to side hug.  

22 hours ago, Greendoor said:

Certainly when I was in school, a preposition was something with which to never end a sentence!

When I was in school it was a crime to split an infinitive too. :lol:

4 hours ago, JMO said:

I like the top half of Kendra's dress but don't care for the bottom.  And Butterfly Kisses is a bizarre choice for a song at that time but I guess they were praying with her parents and she's only 19

It has a verse about "Walk me down the isle....."

Lots of Christian Music lovers adore that song. I'm surprised she used it since it isn't Gothard-approved!

1 hour ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

It has a verse about "Walk me down the isle....."

Lots of Christian Music lovers adore that song. I'm surprised she used it since it isn't Gothard-approved!

I find it so odd but maybe it's because we played it at my dads funeral 

Forgive me, but isn't this how you establish "norms" or "Averages"? By taking a cohort, by age, or size, and making lists of what they do or don't do at the same age? It is sometimes interesting to hear how differently people do progress through life, whether it's an area of the country, or the world, or an age group, or even a class of students.

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

When I was in school it was a crime to split an infinitive too. :lol:

I once got an English language mock O level paper back saying

When I have the pleasure to teach Captain Kirk, even he will get marks deducted for a split infinitive.

I just watched the episode and had to come over here to see if anyone else was bothered by the Hot Coffee scene.  Jeremy showed his true colors there.  And, then when the hot coffee gets on Jinger, he laughs, instead of asking her if she is ok.  Bad burns can happen from hot coffee and he showed no concern.  I had a hard time knowing if Jinger was laughing at first, or cringing in pain.  Later she sort of mutters under her breath "The laws of Physics", when Jeremy asked how she knew it would spill.  Not sure if Jeremy heard her, but I think this is the closest Jinger gets to being snarky.  And, I was actually surprised that Jinger knew anything about the Laws of Physics.  Is that covered in Michelle's homeschooling curriculum?

While we enjoy seeing Jinger get to travel and enjoy some more 'worldly' pursuits,  I have long had the opinion that Jeremy sees Jinger as a project, and he is enjoying introducing her to new things and molding her into the pretty, perky and stylish preacher's wife.  But,  he is also controlling, and I don't think he will take kindly to things if Jinger ever openly disagrees with him.

I also find it interesting that they are going out of their way to show that Jinger is a good cook.  Unlike Jessa and JIll, where they played up clueless they were in the kitchen,  Jinger gets painted as a great cook.  IS this in response to so many comments about how these women who were raised to be great homemakers were lacking skills, or is it just that Jinger really is a good cook?  In the episode when she learns to cook meatballs, they seemed to be playing up the same theme of her not knowing how to cook, just as they did the other married girls.

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic

Archived