IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 5: Married!

Destiny

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rehersals are commonplace in Canada as well. I've never heard of anyone having a big rehearsal dinner like the Duggars do, but usually you take your bridal party and the parents out for supper afterwards.

I am a Ukrainian Orthodox convert so the rehersal was 110% necessary. My bridesmaids and my Dad would have been totally confused without it because an Orthodox ceremony is wildly different from any other Christian ceremony. I think it's always good to have a rehersal because every ceremony is a little different and having a run through helps a lot with people's nerves on the big day.

It is definitely not a thing in Germany. A church service has quite set rules that your pastor will talk you through and you can still discuss wishes/changes, important things that might go into sermon and choose the music. If you want something special to happen you just talk about when and tell the person when it is planned ("your reading is after song xyz) and the pastor guides through the ceremony. 

We often have readings or sometimes music/singing by family members/witnesses but it mostly works without rehearsing. Often people print out a little program with the schedule and all the song texts (as a lot people don't know the set schedule of a church service or the particular dominion).

Most organists will bring someone/ask for someone to assist for the timing.

I can see why you would rehearse when there are many little extra parts that are not part of a normal (read ordinary Christian) wedding service or if the people having a role are not familiar with your church/religion. With often no bridesmaids / groomsmen there are less people to organise and without complicated rituals there is just nothing to practice. 

It is always interesting to learn about different customs. In this case especially from people from other religions/orthodox Christians and how their church wedding ceremonies are arranged.

9 minutes ago, Emily7057 said:

You can watch the wedding in 2 parts If you have one of their tv/cable providers then you can sign in now to watch. 

(each part is 30 mins) 

IMG_5613.PNG

IMG_5614.PNG

..but I don't have cable. All shucks.

Huge rehearsal dinners aren't held in my neck of the woods, but I do think rehearsals are necessary. The last time I was a bridesmaid, we had to do the run through a good few times because most of us were walking so fast! 

I don't have time to watch the wedding right now (I'll probably catch it when my kid goes down for a nap) but I watched the first 30 seconds or so and Joe is really crying when Kendra walks down the aisle, like lower lip trembling, trying to hold back sobs. It's admittedly kinda sweet.

I  can't get accustomed to fundy weddings on big plain stages that need backdrops! I grew up in more traditionally-styled churches, and have never attended a wedding in a sacred space that wasn't a pretty traditionally styled church or synagogue.  So I'm used to spaces with a big altar in the middle and choir stalls behind--and decorative windows, candleabras etc.  You just add flowers and greenery to it.  Its odd--I have the gut reaction that building Pinterest-y backdrops of candles and tulle and weathered wood just feels inappropriate for a sacred space!

Don't understand this "couple can't eat at their own wedding reception" situation.. The absolute best thing at my wedding to the practice husband was us being first in line for food!! And at the second wedding reception, we'd ordered ahead of time, and they brought it to us first!!  I ate!! 

Someone on tumblr did a summary... highlights include someone apparently rappelling from the ceiling to bring the rings ( pretty sure it was Josiah's prank) and a "very passionate and very long kiss" 

32 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Don't understand this "couple can't eat at their own wedding reception" situation.. The absolute best thing at my wedding to the practice husband was us being first in line for food!! And at the second wedding reception, we'd ordered ahead of time, and they brought it to us first!!  I ate!! 

I can understand couples not being able to eat at their reception. I have an aunt and uncle who have six sons. Five of them married, so there were five weddings. At every one of the receptions, whenever the couple would try to eat, people would start clinking their forks against their glasses and would not stop until the couple kissed. I know that at least one of the couples did go on eating until people got the message and put down the forks...but I also remember that at least one of the couples just went ahead and kissed all the way through dinner. Those who indulged the glass clinkers couldn't have gotten much to eat.

@pamplemousse, My aunt hit the glass so hard with a fork at my sister's wedding that she broke the glass! I've also seen people ring bells for the couple to kiss. Both annoy me. I love kissing my sweetie, but neither of us are into PDA.

Here we just scream to the couple until they kiss. We are definetly not what i would call subtle :pb_lol:. Thankfully it only hapens like five times during the whole reception, at most

At the last wedding I went to, most of the head table got up several times during dinner to go to the bar or go outside to have a smoke.  Not sure if they ate much,  they missed out on some really good food (ceasar salad, penne with vodka sauce, chicken with asiago cream sauce and pumpkin trifle).

The hall asked that people not clink glasses so people had to get up to sing a Disney song.  At the wedding before this one, you had to sing a song from a movie and if the bride and groom couldn't guess the movie, they would kiss, if they could name the movie, the singer had to kiss a stuffed fish.

Clinking glasses to make the couple kiss multiple times and not allow them to eat?? WTF??? How bloody rude and irritating!! Why should the guests dictate what the couple do? 

1 hour ago, VBOY9977 said:

Someone on tumblr did a summary... highlights include someone apparently rappelling from the ceiling to bring the rings ( pretty sure it was Josiah's prank) and a "very passionate and very long kiss" 

Now I want everyone in Josiah's future wedding party to rappel down the ceiling instead of walking down the aisle.

The clinking glass thing is annoying. I would probably respond to that kind of constant dinner interruption with a rude hand gesture. 

2 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Now I want everyone in Josiah's future wedding party to rappel down the ceiling instead of walking down the aisle.

The clinking glass thing is annoying. I would probably respond to that kind of constant dinner interruption with a rude hand gesture. 

I have no desire to get married, but if I was every going to do it, I would want the whole damn wedding party to rappel down from the roof.  I think that's pretty fantastic.  

Is the episode going to be shown on TLC at all? Or is it available somewhere else on youtube or another site? probably not since its only on TLCgo so far... My family doesnt have cable or a Satellite provider anymore (boo) so I cant mooch off of them for the TLCGO login :P and as annoyed as I get by Kendra's laugh, I saw the word "repelling", and totally have to watch it. haha oh goodness. 

We have rehearsals in Canada. Years ago my parents were in my aunt and uncles wedding. They skipped the rehearsal. It was a Catholic wedding and my parents didn't know quite when to kneel. They were always a couple seconds behind everyone else. Looked funny! 

8 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

7 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Clinking glasses to make the couple kiss multiple times and not allow them to eat?? WTF??? How bloody rude and irritating!! Why should the guests dictate what the couple do? 

Oh, I remember that. Thankfully, our receptions were pretty small and we just flat out refused after two or three times. I have no patience for all those "traditions" that are just stupid, like that, and the apron dance, and the wearing of fertility symbols, and the babushka... we just said NO. I wasn't having it.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived