IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 5: Married!

Destiny

So  far, every dress except for Jill and Anna's have made it to my Pinterest board :D And I didn't really dislike Anna's dress, I like simple dresses, but I don't want Smuggar's face anywhere on my pinterest! 

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, L1o2u3 said:

So  far, every dress except for Jill and Anna's have made it to my Pinterest board :D And I didn't really dislike Anna's dress, I like simple dresses, but I don't want Smuggar's face anywhere on my pinterest! 

I like Anna's dress much more than Jill's dress.  Jill's dress was just so odd to me because the modesty adjustments on the top ruined the look.  I feel the same about Erin Bates' dress.  I know they have to be modest, so they should just buy a modest gown.  It was very apparent to me when I saw those two gowns that they bought a non-modest dress and then made their own adjustments to it.  

15 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I know I've snarked on the Duggars before in regards to reception choices (ie: Jessa's ice cream sundaes in November when the weather was not suited to it),  but there is a big difference between sacrificing the comfort of your guests and what you offer them because you just don't care to consider them above your wants and doing it because you can't afford to do something bigger. If the Caldwells were expected to pay for this without TLC help, it makes sense they couldn't afford to pay for anything fanciers. That said, I don't think there is anything wrong with a cupcake afternoon tea offering anyway - it is appropriate for a late summer wedding. 

I guess I don't understand why they need to invite 1,000 people when they can't afford to provide proper meals for their guests, I cannot imagine going to a wedding and being offered only a cup of chip and pretzels.

*Edit: I should've continued reading, I see others have addressed these very sentiments.

But then again weddings always seem too expensive for just one day to me which is why I eloped.

@Hmmm_idolatryYeah that's true. I had not seen Erin's dress before, but yeah, now I see what you mean. There are some really pretty modest dresses out there, and removing fabric is always easier than adding it, I think ^^ I love most Alta Moda Bridal dresses. Or some vintage dresses that are more covered. 

I also think Michelle's old wedding dress (not the vow renewal monstrosity)  was quite cute. Too bad they are cutting it into pieces instead of having one of the girls wear it with few alterations. 

Spoiler

duggars.jpg?w=669

3F0EE81900000578-4392344-Long_ago_Here_M

12 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

Just saw the video from Kendra's parents and I'm just going to come out and say it:

DILF. 

Too bad his terrible views on gay people and the world in general come with his good looking face.

1 hour ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

I can't speak for all Italian-Americans everywhere, but in my family and community, it is a mortal sin to have people over for an event of any type and not stuff them with obscene amounts of food.  You'd be ruined forever if you ever hosted a social gathering and didn't feed people.  

I married into an Italian family, and so much this. In fact, I sent this to my husband's aunt for fun as this is sooooooo her (she loved it):

Spoiler

408cb5874441e164e8dbf27105801758.jpg.201a972830c0edaa01032abca05a653e.jpg

That said, I usually love all weddings I'm invited to (I'm a sap who cries at commercials) and while I appreciate food/snacks/drinks at weddings and have my own opinion on them, I'm not gonna knock different strokes for different folks. If the community got what they expected, I'm not gonna tell them they were wrong *shrug*

I wouldn't expect dinner at a 7pm wedding, but that's just me. And this is coming from a woman who used the biggest portion of her wedding budget on catering and booze. 

2 hours ago, Mela99 said:

As to the 'surprise' at the wedding - I saw this on WTFundies and almost popped a kidney.:

I could actually see Kendra and Joe loving and welcoming the idea of Joy and Austin announcing the sex of their baby at the wedding. From what I've seen of the friendship between these two couples, I think they would think this was a wonderful idea and timing. Also because babies are so important in their cult I think they would be overjoyed to share their wedding with a baby announcement.

I'm thinking the "surprise" isn't actually a big surprise but something small and we're all going to be disappointed. 

Also, Kendra could be two weeks pregnant by now :my_rolleyes:.

Michelle's wedding dress is not dissimilar to my Mum's although Mums was a lot sleeker (it was the 70s before the meringue became fashionable)

5 hours ago, Palindrome said:

Damn my obsession with drinking 10,000 cups of Yorkshire Tea a day (only slightly exaggerating here). 

Ha ha - exactly the same obsession here,  worse still given I'm from Lancashire!

34 minutes ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

I like Anna's dress much more than Jill's dress.  Jill's dress was just so odd to me because the modesty adjustments on the top ruined the look.  I feel the same about Erin Bates' dress.  I know they have to be modest, so they should just buy a modest gown.  It was very apparent to me when I saw those two gowns that they bought a non-modest dress and then made their own adjustments to it.  

I am so in the minority but I liked Jill's dress and shabby chic wedding theme. I was so surprised when I joined this site and found out people hated Jill's dress. :embarrassed:

I do not like the look of Anna's dress and Michael Bates still had my least favorite modest hodge podge dress.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

"Having a threesome with God" is really offensive and distasteful to me, actually. My opinion doesn't mean much, and I'm not judging anyone else's sense of humour, I just want to put that out there because I know I'm not the only one but a lot of people won't speak up.

While I will bless God for creating us and giving us love and all that follows, I agree with you.  It is between me and the man I love.

1 minute ago, Seculardaisy said:

I am so in the minority but I liked Jill's dress and shabby chic wedding theme. I was so surprised when I joined this site and found out people hated Jill's dress. :embarrassed:

I do not like the look of Anna's dress and Michael Bates still had my least favorite modest hodge podge dress.

I think Jill's original dress was gorgeous but then Jill got a hold of it and butchered the neckline and it was too big and too small at the same time if that makes any sense. I have seen modesty alterations that look beautiful but with Jill it was like she was trying to show how modest she was by making it obvious that the dress had been altered. 

The main thing I remember from photos of Jill's wedding are the awful bridesmaid dresses.  I have a feeling the obvious alterations help them scream "look how extra modest I am!" as opposed to something that's not altered, modest to begin with, and draws less attention to the modesty factor.

3 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Put it this way - for them a wedding is not a party. It's a church service, admittedly a fairly important one. You don't normally expect to have a full meal following a church service, no matter what time of day the service is on at. Snacks/coffee maybe, but that's it. 

Whereas I've come to expect food after synagogue services :pb_lol: (except on high holidays). Very often there will be bagels, fish, veggies, and then cookies. Sometimes there's just cookies. It depends. A family celebrating a milestone (bar/bat mitzvah, announcing a wedding/baby) will pitch money in for bagels and such. This would be separate from any reception.

But that is a good point about for them a wedding being mainly about a church service. I didn't think of it that way, and it makes sense.

41 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

I think Jill's dress screamed Jill Rodrigues' fake modesty. She could have gotten a modest dress and it would have been easier. That way it wouldn't have looked so ill fitting. Same with the bridesmaids dresses, it would have been better if they had gotten them the right length instead of making Jana do all the alterations. 

To everyone talking about Italian families and food, I can vouch for it. My dad is 100% and my mom 50% and yeah, it's no joke.  And it's rubbed off on me.  You should see the spreads I prepare for holidays.  Or when I'm planning an event that I'm not even cooking for, it's insane.  Or if I'm going to a potluck and bring the biggest bowl of pasta salad you've ever seen.  Or when a friend has a baby or a medical procedure.  It's just what we do.

28 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

I liked her veil! As far as removing fabric being easier than adding, that's true, but I think more of what we've seen is more the modesty alterations don't match the rest of the dress (different types of lace that look jarring). Some of their alterations also seem to be done very last minute, which adds to the unprofessional look. I don't know if the dress people travel with their regular sewing machines, but that can make a huge difference in speed when working with delicate fabrics. I tailor my clothes and tailor for friends, but always turn down the offer to use their machine, because I don't want to mess with adjusting the tension etc.

I was a bit surprised when they were doing Jinger's fitting and talking about sleeves, etc, that she wasn't slipping on different muslin sleeve patterns to give a clearer idea of available cuts, then pick the lace. I'll be able to use the extra lace from cutting the dress down to my height for either adding sleeves, a veil, or little things for the flower girls :) 

There's nothing wrong with not having the perfect figure, but I hate how Jill's dress ruined hers. The band or whatever she had around her waist made her look as if she was trying to hide a baby bump (which I know is not the case judging from photos taken right before the wedding). 

Anna's dress was just a little bit plain for me. Come on, it's a wedding, don't you want at least a little sparkle/lace/pizazz? Jessa's and Jinger's were my favourites. Kendra's looks OK from what I've seen. Michael's and Erin's were so obviously altered. Jill's was OK apart from the shoulders... Alyssa's was also nice. Whitney even had a strapless dress IIRC with a jacket over the top.

So apparently Josh is allowed to film public congrats videos now... Under the spoiler do you don't have to see his stupid face if you don't want to.

Spoiler

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived