• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Showtunesgirl

Ayla, the WifeWithAPurpose - white surpremacist, formerly Nordic Sunrise

Cleopatra7
5 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

If you go back to the 1950s, one of the biggest shows on TV was "I Love Lucy" which centered around a redheaded white American woman whose husband was Cuban. Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz were also a married couple in real life. Apparently, this was not considered an "interracial" marriage back then. Otherwise, it wouldn't have been allowed on 1950s TV. You never would have seen a black/white couple on TV until decades later.

The impression I get is that Desi Arnaz was considered white by Hollywood, but the wrong kind of white. The Arnaz family had been one of the richest families in Cuba until the Batista revolution forced them to flee to Miami. Once in the US, the Arnazes were flat broke, so Desi went into shoe business as a Latin band leader, since you didn't have to be proficient in English to do that and Latin music was seen as an "exotic" curiosity in the 1930s. He was in a play called "Too Many Girls" which was turned into a movie, which is where he met Lucille Ball. However, there were not many roles for "Mexican bongo players" so although Desi was white in the sense of having mostly European ancestry, he was the wrong kind of white. This why CBS executives were initially skeptical about I Love Lucy, because they didn't think mainstream America would believe that an "all-American girl" like Lucille Ball would be married to an obviously "foreign" guy like Desi Arnaz, even though the two had been married in real-life for about ten years by that point and this was common knowledge. I guess if Desi had gotten an Anglo stage name like "Dennis Arnold" and worked to reduce his accent, he might have been read as being less "foreign" but he didn't and was thus regarded as "kind of white, but kind of not."

Lurky

@FloraDoraDolly Oh, that reminds me of the number of early film stars who were from South/Central America, and were definitely "white" - the whole "Latin lover" thing - and had issues transitioning to talkies.  That modern silent film, The Artist, was based on real life cases.

@Cleopatra7 I'm always interested in how Michael Sheene changed his named from Ramón Estévez, and basically has never been seen as Hispanic, neither has his son Charlie - and his son Emilio kept his birth name to keep himself separate from his dad, and that was ok...  And of course the Freddy Prinze thing, which I have to admit, I know about because of Fame.  The ability of some people to 'pass' as white, and others not, and the absolutely disgusting reasons they had to.  But it was fascinating, looking at Michael Sheene in the West Wing, as this epitome of New England white, and Jummy Smits' Matt Santos character defined by being Hispanic, when Sheene and Smits are as American as each other, and probably count as more American than a ton more Hollywood/TV actors (than Hugh Laurie in House and Aiden Gillan in The Wire etc etc etc)

hoipolloi
On 9/10/2017 at 6:25 AM, Cleopatra7 said:

Another problem with alt right thinking (or lack thereof) is the blanket use of the word white. In the US, being white is more of a caste distinction than anything else. However, when one looks at Europe, it becomes quite obvious that all "whites" are not considered equal. Much of the drama in the EU is a reflection of this fact, in which cultural and linguistic differences become huge economic and political obstacles. 

For some actual history -- and FACTS -- by real historians, check out this reading list called Hold My Mead.

This article is only one of the many excellent references here:

It is time for Classics as a discipline to say to these men: we will not give you more fodder for your ludicrous theory that white men are morally and intellectually superior to all other races and genders. We do not support your myopic vision of “Western Civilization.” Your version of antiquity is shallow, poorly contextualized, and unnuanced. When you use the classics to support your hateful ideas, we will push back by exposing just how weak your understanding is, how much you have invested in something about which you know so little.

FloraDoraDolly
9 hours ago, Lurky said:

@FloraDoraDolly Oh, that reminds me of the number of early film stars who were from South/Central America, and were definitely "white" - the whole "Latin lover" thing - and had issues transitioning to talkies.  That modern silent film, The Artist, was based on real life cases.

@Cleopatra7 I'm always interested in how Michael Sheene changed his named from Ramón Estévez, and basically has never been seen as Hispanic, neither has his son Charlie - and his son Emilio kept his birth name to keep himself separate from his dad, and that was ok...  And of course the Freddy Prinze thing, which I have to admit, I know about because of Fame.  The ability of some people to 'pass' as white, and others not, and the absolutely disgusting reasons they had to.  But it was fascinating, looking at Michael Sheene in the West Wing, as this epitome of New England white, and Jummy Smits' Matt Santos character defined by being Hispanic, when Sheene and Smits are as American as each other, and probably count as more American than a ton more Hollywood/TV actors (than Hugh Laurie in House and Aiden Gillan in The Wire etc etc etc)

And let's not forget "white Hispanic" George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watchman who murdered Trayvon Martin and is regarded as a hero by right-wingers. Zimmerman doesn't look as Anglo as Desi Arnaz or the Estevez/Sheen family, but he's still light-skinned enough that the cops wouldn't bother him about his immigration status if he were walking down the street. In other words, Zimmerman is white privileged.

Dizzy
nomoxian
On 09/09/2017 at 8:29 PM, Hisey said:

She seems mighty proud (though she denies it) her DNA test came back 100% European.

I would really like to see those results. If she didn't post them, I don't believe it. She reminds me of this guy:

FluffySnowball

A quick update on Ayla as I’ve been following her since... roughly a year, I believe. She’s had quite a following on Twitter, yet her account was terminated last December due to hate speech regulations. She’s back now with a different user name and account but as I don’t have an account myself, I can’t request to follow (her previous account was open most of the time).

I've heard rumors about domestic violence against the children but don’t know details and cannot confirm it - although homeschooling children to grow up to become hateful and to teach them a distorted and whitewashed (hehe) view of history and society is abuse in and of itself, I believe.

Anyways, she’s still active on Instagram and YouTube and some other platforms. Since being blocked from Twitter with her big account, she goes off the rails even more and shows more and more of her purely hateful opinions. If she weren’t such a disgusting racist, I’d actually feel pity cause I guess underneath all this talk about purity and white, traditional womanhood is an insecure and unfulfilled person. 

Last point in my not-so-short update: Ayla recently had another interview with someone on her YouTube channel. This time, it was stay at home mum. The young woman Ayla talked with seemed so uneducated. She tried to refute feminism but all she had to go on were her highschool experiences. As a married mother of two, she said that as she was in a debate club as a teenager, she decided to make videos discussing topics such as why feminism is a conspiracy. That’s so sheltered and sad!! I am her age (the woman Ayla interviewed, she seemed in her early/mid 20s) I guess and don’t refer to my highschool experience anymore...  

Edited by FluffySnowball

nausicaa
10 minutes ago, FluffySnowball said:

I am her age (the woman Ayla interviewed, she seemed in her early/mid 20s) I guess and don’t refer to my highschool experience anymore...  

Bit of a tangent, but I recently read the Playboy interview with Tomi Lahren, and she addresses criticisms of her claim that she doesn't read novels by stating that she reads plenty of longform articles, and also that she was in AP English, so she's read the major novels. It was just so weird for someone to point to their high school reading and really did nothing but emphasize her lack of qualifications and experience.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

FluffySnowball
13 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

and also that she was in AP English, so she's read the major novels. It was just so weird for someone to point to their high school reading and really did nothing but emphasize her lack of qualifications and experience.

I totally agree! Although I don’t know the TL Interview, it doesn’t surprise me in the slightest... and it seems she thinks there are some major novels and once one has read them, that’s it. This seems crazy to me... I read quite a few books in highschool but I couldn’t even imagine that that’s all the fiction i know. But well, as Tomy Lahren is in the business of selling fiction as fact, she maybe wants some healthy work-life-balance 

Edited by FluffySnowball

FloraDoraDolly

My niece is 19 years old and in her second year of college. Even at her age, she and her friends think people are losers if they keep talking about high school.