IGNORED

Ayla, the WifeWithAPurpose - white surpremacist, formerly Nordic Sunrise

Showtunesgirl

Does anyone remember Ayla, the nutty white nationalist Mormon mom that we used to talk about on the Boyer Sisters thread? BuzzFeed just wrote an article about her.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't even with her twitter. There is a featured tweet "Charity is the pure love of christ" followed LITERALLY THREE TWEETS LATER with nonsense about not allowing middle eastern refugees in. Girl you have got to be kidding. 

ETA: OMG and her "white baby challenge"?!? i'm having a hard time believing this isn't a parody. but apparently it's not. 

6 minutes ago, picklepizzas said:

I can't even with her twitter. There is a featured tweet "Charity is the pure love of christ" followed LITERALLY THREE TWEETS LATER with nonsense about not allowing middle eastern refugees in. Girl you have got to be kidding. 

ETA: OMG and her "white baby challenge"?!? i'm having a hard time believing this isn't a parody. but apparently it's not. 

She does not know that Jesus was Jewish and she did not know He was a refugee.  I wonder if she sings "Love one another" in her ward......

I think the article downplays the extent to which anti-black and anti-Native American prejudices are hardwired into Mormonism. The LDS Church may say that all races are equal, but in practice, it still teaches that being "white and delightsome" is the highest  thing one can aspire to. Mormons are the most hardcore Republicans of any religious group and the LDS church as an institution has been on the wrong side of every important social issue of the last 100 or so years. To be honest, the only thing that surprises me is that there aren't more alt-right Mormon bloggers out there.

They do have such a shoddy history regarding every important social issue, @Cleopatra7.  I do like that the article mentions, albeit briefly, the discipline that more liberal Mormons have recently undergone. I know that some Mormon women who are interested in the priesthood or something closer to equal status in the church have faced discipline.    I wonder if the LDS officials will decide to do something about Ayla, or allow her to continue with her hatred.  Being known as the most racist religion isn't the best way to advertise, imo, especially as their missionaries are still out seeking converts on a daily basis.

1 hour ago, Soulhuntress said:

She does not know that Jesus was Jewish and she did not know He was a refugee.  I wonder if she sings "Love one another" in her ward......

And she describes herself as "a theology scholar" on her Mormon.org bio.  :roll:

Growing up amongst an LDS family, my parents quit when I was young, was a struggle. The Church image was wholesome families of nice people, but just beneath the surface was racism, sexism and a few other isms. They really wanted everyone to be one homogeneous group; LDS, pioneer stock, have a temple recommend, married in the temple, larger family, look clean cut, act clean cut, be happy and Republican.  Oh yeah, and white!

I hated going to church with my grandma. I was never comfortable as a kid, and knew I didn't really belong.  I feared as a young kid of being found out and...shamed, I guess. My parents were hippies, smoked cigarettes, smoked pot, drank alcohol, drank coffee, were NOT Republicans and my dad's father's family were of  Native American ancestry, like great grandma was still registered with her tribe. Ironically, my dad's mother's family was of pioneer stock. Her family brought Mormonism to Idaho. I also suspect that my grandma was the result of a plural marriage, but that is another complicated story. 

Any way, I believe a lot of members think a lot like Ayla, only in "milder" terms. Looking nice and welcoming is very important to the church and its members. They just tend to try to be more subtle and secretive about their true beliefs, but it is still gilding a turd as far as I am concerned. 

What is it with the alt-right's appropriation of musicals set in the Nazi era? The Sound of Music is her twitter header in the photo in the article. Setting aside the #problematic aspect of any nationalism, the take-away from the Sound of Music was that the Nazis were the bad guys. 

They're apparently all about 'tomorrow belongs to me' from Cabaret, and, well:

lols for days

30 minutes ago, seraaa said:

What is it with the alt-right's appropriation of musicals set in the Nazi era? The Sound of Music is her twitter header in the photo in the article. Setting aside the #problematic aspect of any nationalism, the take-away from the Sound of Music was that the Nazis were the bad guys. 

lols for days

I think they probably like the Sound of Music because of all the "Aryan" children dressed in traditional Alpine clothes. Cabaret is weirder, since it was set in the "decadent" Weimar period, but it wouldn't surprise me if alt-righters never watch the movies they misappropriate. 

35 minutes ago, seraaa said:

lols for days

In my experience,  they don't believe they are evil people like the Nazis, but are instead wholesome attractive families like the Von Trap movie family.  They want you to believe that too. So, that is the image they sell.

1 minute ago, ChunkyBarbie said:

In my experience,  they don't believe they are evil people like the Nazis, but are instead wholesome attractive families like the Von Trap movie family.  They want you to believe that too. So, that is the image they sell.

Even to themselves. My cousin's don't think they are racist homophobes, people just don't understand the gospel like they do. 

OT, but I didn't realize that Jason Kander was John Kandor's nephew.  I'm on Jason's email list, fighting voter suppression. 

1 hour ago, amandaaries said:

And she describes herself as "a theology scholar" on her Mormon.org bio.  :roll:

Interestingly enough, on her "why I left feminism" video (don't judge, I watched the whole thing. I'm super sick, enough to have a fever-induced dream that the Rodrigues' named their next daughter after me...) and she mentions that she has a master's in women's spirituality. Her thesis was on motherhood in the LDS and Amish communities, which sent her down this, er, road. 

16 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Interestingly enough, on her "why I left feminism" video (don't judge, I watched the whole thing. I'm super sick, enough to have a fever-induced dream that the Rodrigues' named their next daughter after me...) and she mentions that she has a master's in women's spirituality. Her thesis was on motherhood in the LDS and Amish communities, which sent her down this, er, road. 

I'll have to check that out, when I think I can stomach it. 

16 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

According to her bio, she has a degree in German with a minor in anthropology, and a masters in Women's Spirituality.  So like Zsu, she should know better, but has chosen not to.  And a masters in Women's Spirituality?  Wonder where she got that.  

3 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I think the article downplays the extent to which anti-black and anti-Native American prejudices are hardwired into Mormonism. The LDS Church may say that all races are equal, but in practice, it still teaches that being "white and delightsome" is the highest  thing one can aspire to. Mormons are the most hardcore Republicans of any religious group and the LDS church as an institution has been on the wrong side of every important social issue of the last 100 or so years. To be honest, the only thing that surprises me is that there aren't more alt-right Mormon bloggers out there.

:pb_confused: Is that an actual phrase they've used in the past? Because :562479351e8d1_wtf(2):

28 minutes ago, Loveday said:

:pb_confused: Is that an actual phrase they've used in the past? Because :562479351e8d1_wtf(2):

Sure 'nuff. 

IIRC either Joseph Smith or Brigham Young coined the phrase. 

I used to know back when I was reading all I could to counter a friendly proselytizer, and gave all my books (this was WAY pre-webs) to a non-LDS scholar. 

1 hour ago, amandaaries said:

According to her bio, she has a degree in German with a minor in anthropology, and a masters in Women's Spirituality.  So like Zsu, she should know better, but has chosen not to.  And a masters in Women's Spirituality?  Wonder where she got that.  

New College of California, which is apparently one of the only schools that offers such an esoteric course of study. She must have spent a good chunk of change living in that area with two young children. 

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

The Amish?  Ummm the word inbred applies to that community way too well. http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/02/genetic_disease_is_ravaging_la.html

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

Sure 'nuff. 

I used to know back when I was reading all I could to counter a friendly proselytizer, and gave all my books (this was WAY pre-webs) to a non-LDS scholar. 

The "white and delightsome" line actually comes from the Book of Mormon, which claims that "Lamanites" (ie Native Americans) were cursed with dark skin for being disobedient to God, but will change back to being white when they get their collective acts together (ie become Mormon):

http://mormoncurtain.com/topic_whiteanddelightsome.html

The word white was removed from the offending passage in 1980 and replaced with pure, but the racist implications are still there. These beliefs have had serious implications for Native American communities in the West, where Native children were put in Mormon homes and institutions, ostensibly to give them educational opportunities, but really to make them "white and delightsome." Unsurprisingly, abuse was endemic:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/504944/

Mormonism simply takes the pre-eminent disgust with blacks and the mix of fascination and revulsion with Native Americans found in wider white culture and turns these prejudices into religious doctrines.

1 hour ago, Cleopatra7 said:

The "white and delightsome" line actually comes from the Book of Mormon, which claims that "Lamanites" (ie Native Americans) were cursed with dark skin for being disobedient to God, but will change back to being white when they get their collective acts together (ie become Mormon):

...:::

Yep yep yep ... Book Of Mormon, Joseph Smith.... potayto, potahto.  

Thank you, @Cleopatra7!

She retweeted this:

Viva Europa  ‏ @BakedNorwegian Mar 18

Norway for Norwegians, Japan for the Japanese ... Somalia for Somalians.

So, America for the Native Americans??

And about those Von Trapps on her twitter feed, she does realize the Von Trapps were against Nazism, as well as Catholic?

6 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Sure 'nuff. 

5 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

The word white was removed from the offending passage in 1980 and replaced with pure, but the racist implications are still there. These beliefs have had serious implications for Native American communities in the West, where Native children were put in Mormon homes and institutions, ostensibly to give them educational opportunities, but really to make them "white and delightsome." Unsurprisingly, abuse was endemic:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/504944/

Mormonism simply takes the pre-eminent disgust with blacks and the mix of fascination and revulsion with Native Americans found in wider white culture and turns these prejudices into religious doctrines.

Thank you both.  Just when I think I've heard everything... :my_confused:

3 hours ago, JMarie said:

So, America for the Native Americans??

Like this?

Spoiler

Screenshot_20170130-051050.jpg

13 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Yeah, I was kind of thrown by the blogger quoted in the article who said that "It just really kind of boggles my mind to see racism in the LDS Church." Really? It shouldn't be terribly surprising to see racism anywhere in US society, particularly in a group that was overtly preaching racism within living memory. Fred Clark has a recent post up on his Slacktivist blog about the audacity of white evangelical churches who claim they were not shaped by their segregationist past; surely the same is true of the LDS.

11 hours ago, seraaa said:

lols for days

If I were a betting person, I'd put money on Kander as the next Democratic Party superstar. I'm loving his twitter lately.

I almost started a thread about this blog and the Buzzfeed article. It's not surprising given how racist she is, that she's a major Cheeto Hitler leghumper as well. She even has a post complaining about "persecution" because the evil Pinterest suspended her account because she had a lot of racist pins.

nordicsunrise.wordpress.com/2016/09/23/pinterest-a-suspended-my-account/

Archived