IGNORED

Josh, Anna and the Ms 14: Another arrow for the quiver

samurai_sarah

15 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

The other day I was browsing in store. I heard someone ask for a book by somebody Spurgeon, but not the Baptist preacher. I thought "wow. That's like someone's real name. After a bit of basic research, I have found that Spurgeon, while rarely used, is an actual first (or middle name). Ya learn something new every day. I also found Charles Spurgeon Johnson who was a civil rights leader. I wonder if Benny boy low-key made that connection. He seems passionate about equality etc.

Maybe. Wilberforce was all about emancipation, after all.

I'm British (I actually live near William Wilberforce's church, which was a locus of the emancipation movement) and I didn't think anything of Henry's middle name until you guys got up in arms about it! I thought it was rather strapping and handsome. I guess I'm inured to its weirdness, WW is probably far better known in the UK than the US.

Spurgeon is still bizarro to me though.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

There's a Moody Spurgeon MacPherson in Anne of Green Gables and its sequels! He said that with a name like that he has to be a minister.

I read Anne of Green Gables so long ago (first book). I don't remember the name, but that's awesome.

8 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Hahaha I can totally see someone naming their baby MURICA! With all caps and the exclamation point at the end on the birth certificate. And so much yes to Castiel. Is it bad that I learned everything I know about different angels from Supernatural?

You and I have so much in common . :pb_lol:  I haz a sad that Jake Abel is probably never returning to the show. (OTOH, Sterling K. Brown seems to be doing quite well for himself these days...)

23 minutes ago, Naga Viper said:

You and I have so much in common . :pb_lol:  I haz a sad that Jake Abel is probably never returning to the show. (OTOH, Sterling K. Brown seems to be doing quite well for himself these days...)

No! Don't say that! He has to come back! What assholes, leaving him in hell like that. Bringing him back would be such an interesting story arc. Being locked in Lucifer's cage for a fraction of the time Adam has been really messed up Sam. Imagine what Adam would be like after all these years. How many years has it been again? 

Also this conversation is making me want to binge watch the series from the beginning, but I already need to catch up from last season. It's just hard, because one time when I did binge watch the show I freaked out when the lights in my kitchen flickered. :pb_lol: It's also not a show I want to watch at night.

I also want Osric Chau to come back. He's awesome. I follow him on Facebook, and he has some great displays and adorable cats with Harry Potter names.

The Jana / Joy-Anna / Johannah thing also bugged me ... maybe b/c I had this situation all thru elementary school and it was ridiculous. That said, they call Joy-Anna "Joy" and Johanna "Hannie" ... so that helps.

I think Joy & Austin might go with "A" names, like Austin. I could see her suggesting this, actually. It's systematized, though not exactly practical. It is different from the "J" and has lots of options. I will note though that "J" is is likely for Jesus (not just JB) so all other systems are inherently inferior. Though in a way Jill/Derick's biblical theme and Jessa/Ben's Calvinist theme are more religious than the random "M" theme Josh/Anna have.

On 9/15/2017 at 1:46 PM, Ais said:

@GreyhoundFan thanks for that link. I definitely qualify as a lapsed catholic, attending for Christenings, weddings and funerals mostly. The changes have really altered the rhythm of the Mass to me but I suppose it's because it's not what I'm used to? 

You're welcome. My least-favorite changes are from the Nicene Creed:

And in that same prayer, where Jesus was once “Begotten, not made, one in being with the Father,” He is now, “begotten, not made, con-substantial with the Father.”

Where Catholics once said, “Lord I am not worthy to receive you,” they will now say, “Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof.”

As for Anna and the Turd, please, Rufus, no more "blessings".

1 hour ago, FleeJanaFree said:

Jared Spurgeon is a fantastic defenseman in the NHL :)

He's a constant rival for the 2 teams I follow. I giggle every time I hear his name on TV!

10 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

Maybe. Wilberforce was all about emancipation, after all.

I'm British (I actually live near William Wilberforce's church, which was a locus of the emancipation movement) and I didn't think anything of Henry's middle name until you guys got up in arms about it! I thought it was rather strapping and handsome. I guess I'm inured to its weirdness, WW is probably far better known in the UK than the US.

Spurgeon is still bizarro to me though.

lol. Wilberforce was not odd to me as a middle name. I found it classic. Jessa Blessa seems to love unique. Ben likes the meaning behind it.

Spurgeon was odd to me. I couldn't get use to it at first. Now it's been normalized. I've also found a little education behind it. I can appreciate it what they've done now. :smile:

7 hours ago, jqlgoblue said:

The Jana / Joy-Anna / Johannah thing also bugged me ... maybe b/c I had this situation all thru elementary school and it was ridiculous. That said, they call Joy-Anna "Joy" and Johanna "Hannie" ... so that helps.

I think Joy & Austin might go with "A" names, like Austin. I could see her suggesting this, actually. It's systematized, though not exactly practical. It is different from the "J" and has lots of options. I will note though that "J" is is likely for Jesus (not just JB) so all other systems are inherently inferior. Though in a way Jill/Derick's biblical theme and Jessa/Ben's Calvinist theme are more religious than the random "M" theme Josh/Anna have.

As much as I despise John Shrader, I actually kinda like the theme he and Esther have going for their daughters' names. They're all attributes: Sophia (wisdom), Alatheia (truth), Agape (sacrificial love), and Charis (kindness). The names are a little unwieldy, but I think that they're lovely and the meanings are lovely. That is the one nice thing I will say about John Shrader.

As for what Wills and Kate will name their next one, I'm rooting for Adelaide, Eleanor, or Matilda for a girl (all names of queens), and Edmund, Alfred, or Arthur for a boy.

Of all of the crushes I had on my older brothers' friends, Jared Padalecki is one of the that's most cringe worthy now. I can't even watch anything he's in without flushing at what must have been a very obvious crush. I remember feeling traumatized that in getting him a spare toothbrush he saw my monthlies gear. Though in all likelihood he probably wasn't even looking at the cabinet and would not himself have been traumatized by spying a tampon box.

37 minutes ago, cascarones said:

Of all of the crushes I had on my older brothers' friends, Jared Padalecki is one of the that's most cringe worthy now. I can't even watch anything he's in without flushing at what must have been a very obvious crush. I remember feeling traumatized that in getting him a spare toothbrush he saw my monthlies gear. Though in all likelihood he probably wasn't even looking at the cabinet and would not himself have been traumatized by spying a tampon box.

Whoa, wait a second... Are you saying that you knew Jared Padalecki as a teen??

@AprilQuilt, I'm American but I knew who William Wilberforce was, so I didn't think it was a weird choice for a middle name. I'm fine with Spurgeon, too, b/c he was a very influential preacher; I just think it should've been used as a middle name. Elliott Spurgeon would've been so much better.

@cascarones, I hate to sound stupid, but your brother was actually friends with Jared Padalecki?

Joy seems to respect Jill tremendously as a buddy leader. She seems to only listen to her. I saw how intently she looked at Jill when Jill gave her advice on marriage. I too think she may do biblical names like Jill and Derrick. If not she may go very trendy -ish like Michelle have gone with some of her names. If she wants to be an individual she may do southern inspired names/ classic or otherwise. 

I think Joy could go with a biblical and an A-theme (at least for the boys): Adam, Austin, Aaron,...

and for girls also A themed but not biblical, more trendy, and maybe androgynous:

Anderson, Alex, Ayden (for a girl),...

1 hour ago, Corntree said:

@AprilQuilt, I just think it should've been used as a middle name. Elliott Spurgeon would've been so much better.

I think that Jessa and Ben has made the same discovery and that's why Wilberforce was used as a middle name, not first. 

6 minutes ago, Corntree said:

I've often shuddered at the thought that they might've gone with Wilberforce Henry.

At least they could have called him 'Will'! Spurgeon doesn't really have a lot of nickname options.

6 minutes ago, Corntree said:

I've often shuddered at the thought that they might've gone with Wilberforce Henry.

Eesh! 

I do think young Spurgeon would really suit the name Elliot. It would be the cherry on top of the adorable-cake.

I feel a bit uncomfortable criticising though - names are so personal and they might all be happy with it. Once a guy I'd just met sounded off at me about the totally crackpot insane name his daughter had given his newest grandchild. Of course it was *my* name.

(I say I feel uncomfortable criticising - it didn't stop me using the word 'bizarro'...)

3 hours ago, cascarones said:

Wait, what!!!! You knew him?? Ahhhh!!! I must know more!

If it makes you feel better, my cat only showed interest in Supernatural when Jared was on the screen. If it switched to someone else, kitty lost interest. So uh, you have good taste? :pb_lol:

@Corntree, yep. He's a San Antonio boy, I can't say I know him well because for the most part my brothers tried to banish me and my friends to my room for being an annoying little sister. We weren't allowed to ban each other from the pool, which is where everyone was usually hanging out anyway. Or I'd use the excuse of needing something from my closet to get into my brother's room (weird set up, my room was originally part of a larger room that had been divided so no closet for me). I found him soooo cute.

Ohhh, so this Supernatural chat just got very interesting. (I have never seen the show, so can't really follow the chat on it). But Jared Padalecki chat is definitely something that will always interest me! How cool that you meet him and got to hang out by the pool. Jealous! Anyway, this is one teen crush not to cringe or be embarrassed about. And most boys, even men, are oblivious to private girl stuff, or at least find it even more embarrassing than we do to be confronted with that stuff. 

On 2017-09-14 at 10:41 AM, onekidanddone said:

I kind of get the feeling no. The lost girls and maybe some of the younger howlers (Jackson) might be getting little to no education. All the older sisters with the exception of Janna are out of the house, and I don't think Michelle wants to bother. 

I agree I can't imagine Michelle could possibly do a great job teaching her children critical thinking skills. I am always reminded of her answer to the question of overpopulation. How all the people in the world could fit in Jacksonville Florida. Perhaps then if people were liquified fine but people need air, food space, FORM. Light a match and it all goes up in flames. 

I just talked to my brother about Jared and he was pretty amused, mentioned that JP said I had to be a heartbreaker, post the truly horrific ugly duckling stage.   I'm 29, but still a bit giddy at that. Besides a striking eye color, I'm an average looking lady so it's a nice pick me up!

6 hours ago, Imaginary_Wonderland said:

Anyway, this is one teen crush not to cringe or be embarrassed about. 

Agreed!! My stupid brothers didn't have any crush-worthy friends.

1 hour ago, cascarones said:

I just talked to my brother about Jared and he was pretty amused, mentioned that JP said I had to be a heartbreaker, post the truly horrific ugly duckling stage.   I'm 29, but still a bit giddy at that. Besides a striking eye color, I'm an average looking lady so it's a nice pick me up!

That's so amazing!!! And so sweet! I'd be turning bright read and falling over if I were you!! I love that man. I'm squeezing with delight over here.

What do you and your brother think of him being referred to as a moose by the Supernatural fandom?

This is my favorite spin-off of that:

Spoiler

3eac4a47ab2417c0a283214f79aee14b.jpg

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived