IGNORED

Josh, Anna and the Ms 14: Another arrow for the quiver

samurai_sarah

On 9/9/2017 at 4:35 PM, Chickenbutt said:

Or maybe Anna knew and just accepted Josh's dalliances as every good fundie wife should. 

We don't know. Maybe getting caught up in the Ashley Madison made it all public and Anna had no choice but to face it. 

I totally believe it's this! I have thought this all along. The whole family knew what he was up to and ignored it. Anna suffered in silence because she knew she would never leave anyway. I'm sure she was also blaming herself for not being good enough. Secret after secret shoved under the rug. 

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Until the 1920s or so, it was normal for little boys to wear dresses before they were four or so. In upper class families, at least, when a boy started to wear pants it symbolized his transition from the feminine education had at his mother or nanny's knee towards his education into manhood with his father and other adult males. From a pure logistical perspective, it seems like having babies and toddlers of both genders wearing dresses would make things easier in terms of cleaning up and the like. This would be especially true for the Duggars, since the TTH will have children in the diapers and/or potty training stages present for the foreseeable future. It's odd to think that the Victorians et al were more into gender neutral baby clothes than we are today, where it seems like all clothes have to broadcast to the world whether the child in question is a girl or a boy.

My grandmother was showing me pictures of my father,as a baby,I think I was about 9 or 10,and I asked why my father was wearing a dress.She told me that boy babies wore dresses,then.She had another photo of him,as a toddler ,about 1,not even 2.He had on short pants.He was born in 1931.

Honestly, as a NYer, all these variations in pronunciation all sound the same to me. I can't distinguish May-sin from May-son and especially the difference between Aaron and Erin. I always thought they were pronounced the same way. I'll go hide in my little cave now.

@LegHumperBibleThumper

Maybe that's what Anna was so upset about. (not that it isn't incredibly upsetting anyways). Maybe in her viewepoint she felt more grief over being publicly shamed for being unable to keep her man satisfied, thus destroying her fundie family, then she felt grief over Josh's actions. Maybe that's why she felt leaving would be a bad decision? Because with that viewpoint she would have been leaving over anger and the pride of being shamed which is major fundie sins. I'm just speculating. My telepathy doesn't work very well. 

4 hours ago, Playagirl said:

Same for the Catholic weddings I've been to in Canada. Stand. Sit. Stand. Kneel. Stand. Sit. Not sure what we'll do once the elderly are no longer around to lead the way.

The prayerbooks have rubrics in them, OR the priest will move his hands in a way that says, or will just say, "Stand, Sit, Kneel" etc.

1 hour ago, cascarones said:

It's a very subtle difference in pronunciation to where most people don't recognize they're pronouncing them different at all, especially in context. Son is pronounced with a slightly longer breath, while sun is more clipped.

Nope... it's not... Don't get me wrong, I believe you. I'm sure that 'son' and 'sun' have a subtly different pronunciation in various regions, but I pronounce them exactly the same, I promise you. I literally just sat here and said both words over and over again, and used them in sentences, to convince myself I wasn't going crazy. :pb_lol:

I did find a video on youtube showing the difference, and I see how 'son' is pronounced differently, but I don't pronounce it that way. I pronounce it exactly like 'sun'.

12 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'm pretty sure it's machine knitted. I'm a knitter, and it doesn't look home made to me. Cute, though.

Hi, another knitter! Maybe not, I just took a quick look. It seemed to be to me, at least, but I don't knit enough to be qualified at this.

14 hours ago, Greendoor said:

They change to trousers was at about 3 and called "breaching" as in wearing breeches.  I expect that was due to not being in diapers anymore. 

Breeching, actually. Breaching is putting a hole in something. I imagine breaching a small child could be problematic. :evil-laugh: 

(Sorry, I can be a pedant about spelling.)

It does make sense though, on the same order as nightgown with elastic bottoms for newborns. If you're changing diapers all the time anyway, might as well make it easy on yourself. I do not understand the idea of putting babies in jeans with a zip fly and no snaps in the inseam. Besides, it's cute! We have an adorable picture of my grandfather in a dress as a toddler, around WWI.

5 hours ago, Jana814 said:

When my cousin got married outside. The guy who performed the ceremony forgot to tell everyone to sit. So everyone stood through the whole ceremony. 

All the weddings I've been to except one, a Catholic wedding where even the bride and groom sat at parts, the bridal party stood throughout. They've been a mix of Protestant and non-religious. 

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I did find a video on youtube showing the difference, and I see how 'son' is pronounced differently, but I don't pronounce it that way. I pronounce it exactly like 'sun'.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. They are exactly the same for me. I repeated them a couple of times to make sure I wasn't convincing myself but no, they are the same. 

Although that being said three and tree are pronounced the same in my neck of the woods, so probably not someone to go by. 

Okay, German native speaker here. Son/Sun sound the same. I recored myself reading a sentence with both words in it on my phone. Before I recorded it could've sworn that they sound slightly different. :my_huh:

5 hours ago, formerpastorswife said:

It goes without saying that any "counseling" will also include a heavy dose of guilt-tripping for the wife, of making sure she works harder to keep her husband properly satisfied at home so he is never ever tempted to stray (anything from not giving him enough sex-- which makes his sexual desires push him for fulfillment elsewhere-- to not keeping a sweet enough spirit-- arguing and disagreeing will drive him "to the corner of a housetop", or into the arms of another woman-- to not keeping the house clean enough-- which makes him seek for a peaceful haven in another woman's home).

I would be in a whole heap of trouble.

6 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

I kind of get the feeling no. The lost girls and maybe some of the younger howlers (Jackson) might be getting little to no education. All the older sisters with the exception of Janna are out of the house, and I don't think Michelle wants to bother. 

but for them education it s very very important....like this is more unschooling,,,,....just send them to a normal school if you don t want to teach the kids...

25 minutes ago, likejana86 said:

but for them education it s very very important....like this is more unschooling,,,,....just send them to a normal school if you don t want to teach the kids...

They'd learn Satan's ways at a normal school! 

33 minutes ago, likejana86 said:

The Duggars have never valued education. It's always the bare minimum. 

6 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Like Jill Rodrigues likes to say: "Better to have your kids brainWASHED than brain DIRTIED!"

What? She really says that? 

Wow that's all i can say about it 

14 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

What? She really says that? 

Wow that's all i can say about it 

I probably cleaned it up for her a bit since Jill is not known for brevity, but she definitely has used the word brain-dirtied in contrast to brain-washed in one of her many homeschooling posts.  

And let's just say that the examples of the Duggar kids' education that we have seen EASILY surpass that of the Rod kids.  

7 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I can't distinguish May-sin from May-son and especially the difference between Aaron and Erin

I don't want to get bogged down in the different pronunciation of things, but this got me. How is Aaron and Erin said in the same way?

Erin starts with an E sound and Aaron with an A sound.  Erin as in errand and Aaron as in around. 

I

16 minutes ago, motelmum said:

I don't want to get bogged down in the different pronunciation of things, but this got me. How is Aaron and Erin said in the same way?

Erin starts with an E sound and Aaron with an A sound.  Erin as in errand and Aaron as in around. 

I

At least from how I've heard it be said when the same way, by using an air syllable at the beginning of both. Doesn't work in my accent, but very similar in others.

4 minutes ago, motelmum said:

In my dialect, they are both "Air-en" (or "Ehr-en").  But then the e in errand and the a in around are both the same sound too.  

I actually just had this conversation with a friend who was discussing a MtF woman named Erin.  She had to say "We met her as Aaron with an A and now she's Erin with an E." because those two names are identical when we say them.  

It has to do with the r sound immediately following.  My dialect approximates the vowel before an r, so true a sounds like in apple are shifted closer to an e when they come before a liquid consonant like an r or l to allow the speaker to anticipate the necessary tongue placement of the following consonant.  The only difference between an a and an e is the openness of your mouth, so by keeping our mouths slightly more closed when saying a vowel before certain consonants, the a sound automatically shifts into an e sound.  

Thus Aaron and Erin are the same. 

I remember seeing two siblings named Aaron and Erin. Even if you do say those names differently having those names as sibling names must get confusing!

2 minutes ago, Mayluka said:

I'm American so I pronounce Erin and Aaron the same (Air-in). 

Except for the times when my brain wants to say Ay-ay-ron.

Love Key & Peele.

When Chelsea Peretti and Jordan Peele got married my brain exploded. :)

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived