IGNORED

Josh, Anna and the Ms 14: Another arrow for the quiver

samurai_sarah

I've just realised I've never been to a wedding where the bridesmaids/groomsmen stand for the entire wedding. Maybe I've only been to really long weddings, but I've just realised how strange it is that they make them all stand so far apart on the stage for an extended period. Especially now we know Anna was literally due any moment and Jill was very close at Joy's wedding.

Is this normal in the US?

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kangaroo said:

I've just realised I've never been to a wedding where the bridesmaids/groomsmen stand for the entire wedding.

In Germany I think you have only one of each, so seeing all those bridesmaids/groomsmen is weird! And I second that question. Even bride and groom sit down during the ceremony here. If I had to guess I think it takes an hour to get married or something like that usually. (In church! Evangelical church or I guess in the US that would be Lutheran church if I'm right. Just the opposite of Catholic.)

4 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

I've just realised I've never been to a wedding where the bridesmaids/groomsmen stand for the entire wedding. Maybe I've only been to really long weddings, but I've just realised how strange it is that they make them all stand so far apart on the stage for an extended period. Especially now we know Anna was literally due any moment and Jill was very close at Joy's wedding.

I think it depends on the wedding. At my aunt and uncle's wedding, all of us bridesmaids and groomsmen sat down in the very first pew, but the maid of honor and best man remained standing with the couple. It also usually depends on how long the ceremony is, and if they do a religious mass with it. 

How awful to have to stand in uncomfortable shoes. How long is the average fundie ceremony? I'm used to catholic weddings in Ireland which last about an hour. The attendants and bride & groom all have seating, as the whole damn thing is an endless round of standing, sitting, kneeling, and all of us looking toward the elderly guests for cues on when to do what.

42 minutes ago, Irishy said:

How awful to have to stand in uncomfortable shoes. How long is the average fundie ceremony? I'm used to catholic weddings in Ireland which last about an hour. The attendants and bride & groom all have seating, as the whole damn thing is an endless round of standing, sitting, kneeling, and all of us looking toward the elderly guests for cues on when to do what.

Same for the Catholic weddings I've been to in Canada. Stand. Sit. Stand. Kneel. Stand. Sit. Not sure what we'll do once the elderly are no longer around to lead the way.

My ceremony, including the wedding party walking in, lasted about fifteen minutes. So it was no big deal to have them stand. We instructed the justice of the peace to be short and sweet with no religious aspects. He gave us exactly what we asked for. 

I had a non denominational Christian ceremony outside that lasted about 20 minutes.  The whole wedding party stood because it was short and seating was limited.  Also, I let the bridesmaids pick out their own shoes so hopefully they were comfortable.

Same thought as @Jessalyn  Even a 9-lb baby looks so crazy small! 

And Baby Mason is super cute.

Satan'sFortress Must. Not. Have. Another. Baby.

3 minutes ago, gustava said:

Baby boy Mason has arrived.

We have being discussing it on Josh and Anna's thread.

I thought it was a play on words as in Josh sinned in May (isn't that when the molestation scandal came to light?) And now he has a kid named MAY-SIN. :pb_lol: 

3 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I thought it was a play on words as in Josh sinned in May (isn't that when the molestation scandal came to light?) And now he has a kid named MAY-SIN. :pb_lol: 

I think it's a prediction.

One small saving grace is that the comments on the US weekly article are almost universally negative. There's one leghumper trying to defend but they're not getting much tolerance. Hopefully it'll let the gossip magazines know that Smugger is definitely not welcome back on print or tv 

15 minutes ago, Furbabiesonly said:

One small saving grace is that the comments on the US weekly article are almost universally negative. 

Are the Duggars now going with "any publicity is good publicity?" Because Josh isn't going to be looked upon too nicely in the general public. I just don't get it. Although, hiding him must be getting tiring. 

@Kangaroo I'm pretty sure every wedding I've been to have had the bridesmaids standing up.  (Fellow Australian here.)

I don't think anyone has commented on this, but poor Anna, this seems to me to be a very long labour for a 5th child - either water broke or labour started (I've forgotten which despite reading the article only minutes ago) early morning, then baby Mason wasn't born until very early the next morning. 

7 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

I'm in the U.S. the catholic church weddings I've been to the bridal party sat after a while but at a cousin of mine's nondenominational wedding we stood the entire time, it was a shorter ceremony. I was 8 1/2 months pregnant, I guess I got my payback for being in a wedding that pregnant when I ended up delivering my baby in her car a few weeks later. (kidding though she's my best friend and I didn't mind being a pregnant bridesmaid other than feeling like I was wearing a tent.)

The only weddings where the wedding party sat were catholic weddings. My wedding was quite short. I'm not religious so it leaves some stuff out ;)

On 9/9/2017 at 2:21 PM, formerpastorswife said:

If you think about it, the only reason he "got caught" last time was because of the hacking of Ashley Madison. So either he's super good at sneaking around, or Anna's just totally clueless, or both.

(Or maybe she was like I was for several years-- suspicious, but without "hard evidence" to bring to anyone... or anyone to bring it to who wouldn't just say "if he's seeing someone else you better just up your game, girl, and win him back!")

In their religion, would the wife be able to confront the husband if she suspected or even had proof that he was cheating? Would their lives be made worse for them if they spoke up? Would they just be expected to pretend not to know and just "keep sweet"? I always wondered these things.

50 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Are the Duggars now going with "any publicity is good publicity?" Because Josh isn't going to be looked upon too nicely in the general public. I just don't get it. Although, hiding him must be getting tiring. 

I just wish he would continue to hide. But this being in magazines just wrong.  

and glorifying him is wrong 

12 hours ago, likejana86 said:

I Was thinking They are still homeschooling The Kids or Not. ?

I kind of get the feeling no. The lost girls and maybe some of the younger howlers (Jackson) might be getting little to no education. All the older sisters with the exception of Janna are out of the house, and I don't think Michelle wants to bother. 

9 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Sun and son are pronounced exactly the same to me...

It's a very subtle difference in pronunciation to where most people don't recognize they're pronouncing them different at all, especially in context. Son is pronounced with a slightly longer breath, while sun is more clipped. I'm trying to learn Mandarin right now, so I'm being a nerd about trying to get breaths and tonality correct. It just happened to be one of English examples given of how just the tiniest pronunciation change means something totally different!

9 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Sun and son are pronounced exactly the same to me...

Thank you I was sitting here saying it out loud and thinking I needed more coffee. 

25 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

I kind of get the feeling no. The lost girls and maybe some of the younger howlers (Jackson) might be getting little to no education. All the older sisters with the exception of Janna are out of the house, and I don't think Michelle wants to bother. 

They been hiring other fundie young women to tutor the kids for years. Tabitha Paine was a live-in tutor, though now that she's married I'm sure they've hired someone else.

Most of the "homeschooling" is really online independent learning. It's pretty hands off for parents. And they have tutors for answering questions and following up with the kids to do their studies.

Jessa was the main educator of the J'Slaves. Her marriage was quickly followed by the arrival of Tabitha Paine as a live-in tutor.

42 minutes ago, Jessie E said:

In their religion, would the wife be able to confront the husband if she suspected or even had proof that he was cheating? Would their lives be made worse for them if they spoke up? Would they just be expected to pretend not to know and just "keep sweet"? I always wondered these things.

In THEORY, in fundie circles the wife would be able to go to one of their (male) church leaders and bring to him evidence of her husband's cheating, at which point the church leader(s) would then go confront the husband with the evidence, the husband would confess, and the leaders would then lead them both through a program of counseling and reconciliation. This is highly dependent on several things: whether the wife has concrete evidence (enough to get the leaders to believe her AND get her husband to confess), whether or not the church leaders themselves are willing to get involved, and whether or not the husband willingly submits to their "counseling program" (spoiler: if he doesn't, the wife is pretty much "up a creek"... the worst a church leader will counsel her to do is to separate "for a time, with the ultimate goal of reconciliation".)

It goes without saying that any "counseling" will also include a heavy dose of guilt-tripping for the wife, of making sure she works harder to keep her husband properly satisfied at home so he is never ever tempted to stray (anything from not giving him enough sex-- which makes his sexual desires push him for fulfillment elsewhere-- to not keeping a sweet enough spirit-- arguing and disagreeing will drive him "to the corner of a housetop", or into the arms of another woman-- to not keeping the house clean enough-- which makes him seek for a peaceful haven in another woman's home).

Yes, I've been there. Yes, I've heard it all. No, it doesn't work.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived