IGNORED

Josh, Anna and the Ms 14: Another arrow for the quiver

samurai_sarah

10 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

Here a lot of these names just sound old fashioned, not tacky. Take Kevin for example. Kevin is your grandfather or maybe your fathers name, but a kid born today would probably only get Kevin as a middle name.

The only time I come across young people with old fashioned names has been immigrants from overseas or the child of immigrants that grows up here but decides to go by an English name instead of their given one.  Kevin, Simon, Jonathan, Andy/Anthony, Jennifer, Florence, Michelle and Kelly are all names you don't see given to babies, but I know about 10 of each who are all much younger than when the name was most popular.

Aside from Florence, I've seem all these names given to babies in the past year or so. Maybe it's just my area. 

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm. I see I'm going to have to go back to the last thread and find out why all the hate for Astrid. Its not very common here (Canadian West Coast) but not unknown. If course it always makes me think of Pippi Longstocking, so I have only good feelings about it. 

This conversation made me think of Katie Hopkins. :pb_lol: I like the famous exchange, "I don't like geographical location names... Brooklyn, or London" "Your child's called India." (Starts around 5:30) I love name conversations too, but it's unfortunate how quickly they can turn classist and/or racist.

3 hours ago, Thunder said:

Aside from Florence, I've seem all these names given to babies in the past year or so. Maybe it's just my area. 

This plus I've met a couple Florences under two. It's making a comeback with the urban hipster set. 

If people's names reflect who they are, then I don't think I'd want my kids to play with Spurgeon or Israel. Spurgeon's name sounds like he would be pompous, bossy, and smug. While Israel isn't a terrible name, it would lead me to believe that the parents have some kind of a saviour complex (which isn't inaccurate).

Can I just say how incredibly difficult it is to come up with names that work across languages and cultures? There are only so many names that are spelled the same and pronounced somewhat similar to begin with, and then you have to worry about the different cultural perceptions she well. My entire list of acceptable usable boys names was 5 names to choose from. 

11 hours ago, Georgiana said:

It just really doesn't sound good to many English speaking ears, I think.  I LOVE Norse names, and I want DESPERATELY to love Astrid, but I can't.  

My last car was named Astrid. One of my little girls who didn't survive was Stella and another was Celeste. 

In Thailand, EVERYONE has a nickname that is generally used. I know small, little, fat, frog, mouse, crab, dog, pouty-lips, and painting. I was introduced to a friend's new baby on Wednesday - warm water (Napoon)!

There's a cookbook written by a Thai called Cooking with Poo. Poo means crab.....

11 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

My last car was named Astrid. One of my little girls who didn't survive was Stella and another was Celeste. 

Stella is my 85 year old MIL's name. I've noticed that it's made a huge comeback in the last 5 years or thereabouts. 

eta (hit enter without thinking): She doesn't even go by her given name. She's been Sally since she was a kid. She's only Stella on official records. 

59 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

This conversation made me think of Katie Hopkins. :pb_lol: I like the famous exchange, "I don't like geographical location names... Brooklyn, or London" "Your child's called India." (Starts around 5:30) I love name conversations too, but it's unfortunate how quickly they can turn classist and/or racist.

I wasn't sure if I was watching a satirical show or not. I then realised I've seen some of her work in the Daily Mail, and everything has been explained.

3 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Stella is my 85 year old MIL's name. I've noticed that it's made a huge comeback in the last 5 years or thereabouts

It was in honour of my father's half sister.

...and you're very sweet to suggest I would've been pregnant in the past five years. It's early, but I am peri-menopausal. 

15 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

@singsingsingThe blood test is usually done late in the first trimester or early in the second (if I remember right.) So likely between 11 and 14 weeks.

(snip)

NIPT tests are supposed to be done after 10 weeks and results take at least a week. If done too early there isn't usually enough fetal DNA to test. I had mine done at 11 weeks I think. I was due Aug 12 and found out we were having a boy on Feb 1.

1 hour ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

If people's names reflect who they are, then I don't think I'd want my kids to play with Spurgeon or Israel. Spurgeon's name sounds like he would be pompous, bossy, and smug. While Israel isn't a terrible name, it would lead me to believe that the parents have some kind of a saviour complex (which isn't inaccurate).

I think the important thing to remember is that the name never-ever says anything about the person (unless they changed it themselves at some point, but that's a different story), but always and only something about the parents.
But yes, if my kid came home with a new friend named "L.Ron", I'd probably try to find out a bit about that family before sending my child of camping with them.....

I think the Kevin thing possibly comes from "Kevin and Perry" and the scarily accurate portrayal of a british teen:

I agree with the comments about names dating, DH has an appalling name that suits someone 20 years older (and his middle name is just as bad) no-one would even consider saddling a child with it nowadays. Having said that names like Albert/Arthur/Maisy/Constance were really cosidered to be grandparent names 10 years ago but now they're all the rage :) 

My parents were ahead of the curve and I didn't even meet anyone else with my name until I was 15, it became popular about 10 years ago but has now gone out of fashion again.  

I have spent so much time in english speaking countries, and most of the names that I really like and keep on my short list for possible future babies (not quite there yet..) are english. Unfortunatly, they do not sound that good in my mother tongue. I have not found a lot of names i like in my mother tongue, that would sound good in english as well. It's a pain in the ass... But I do think names are very fascinating

16 hours ago, Georgiana said:

And the Office did an episode where Jan names her daughter Astrid and Michael calls her "Ass-turd"

This is ALL I can ever think of when I hear somebody is interested in using the name Astrid.

15 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

ETA: Whitney Bates had this test done if I remember correctly. I believe they told family they were having a girl around Christmas 2015 and Kaci was born late June 2016.

Whitney was 10 weeks when she had the blood test, I literally just rewatched that episode. I believe this test is usually done within the first 12 weeks. I have had a previous MC and had to have blood tests done but this particular test was still not offered to me. 

I do know a woman who had to have her blood levels checked for whatever reason and she had this test done at 9 weeks.

9 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

Here a lot of these names just sound old fashioned, not tacky. Take Kevin for example. Kevin is your grandfather or maybe your fathers name, but a kid born today would probably only get Kevin as a middle name.

I had my first child when I was 18 and had she been a boy we were going to name her Kevin. I am so thankful she turned out to be a girl because the name Kevin doesn't fit our style of naming kids nearly ten years later.

My mother was registered as Margaret, and everyone started calling her Maggie, or Peggy, both of which my grandmother hated. So when she was baptised, she was named Eileen - the name she was known by all her life, and the one on her gravestone. Only official documents were Margaret.

My brother was the opposite - he was very ill at birth, and emergency baptised. My mother called him Roque, after a saint that intercedes for the sick. Luckily, she came to her senses, and registered him as John - and he keeps Roque a deep and deadly secret!

ETA And no, he didn't have the plague, Roque's special area of sickness! I think with all the stress, he was the only saint for the sick she could think of. :562479b0cbc9f_whistle1:

Thanks for answering everyone! I was pretty sure I was close to the right timeframe. You'd think I'd remember since it's only been a year - apparently I'm useless at remembering stuff. :pb_lol:

As for names, I don't judge people by them unless it's something seriously outrageous - like naming your kid Adolph Hitler or Eva Braun or Aryan Nation (hi asshole couple in New Jersey a few years ago!) or purposely naming them a swear word or something. Otherwise? I honestly don't care what you name your kid and I don't think a name indicates someone is "classy" or "trashy." Their behavior does, but a name? Nope. 

Just love your kid. That's all I ask.

My Grans first name was Elizabeth but she went by Amy her entire life then name my unt Elizabeth and she went by  Joyce all her life. When she was in hosptal towards the end the nurses kept calling her Elizabeth and she wasacting very confused  a family member told them she went by Joyce!

And another funny . my Mum has 2 birthdays. The ay she was born and the day my Grandad registered her as being born(she was born during an air raid so there was a little confusion) When she fell and hit her head the paramedic asked her birthday and when she asked him which one he thoight she was totally loopy until her neighbour explained! 

4 hours ago, subsaharanafrica said:

Can I just say how incredibly difficult it is to come up with names that work across languages and cultures? There are only so many names that are spelled the same and pronounced somewhat similar to begin with, and then you have to worry about the different cultural perceptions she well. My entire list of acceptable usable boys names was 5 names to choose from. 

This! I think we're doing an English first name, a Chinese name (which I know nothing about, but his mum offered to help!) and I'm not sure if that'll be separate or a middle name.

5 hours ago, sawasdee said:

In Thailand, EVERYONE has a nickname that is generally used. I know small, little, fat, frog, mouse, crab, dog, pouty-lips, and painting. I was introduced to a friend's new baby on Wednesday - warm water (Napoon)!

There's a cookbook written by a Thai called Cooking with Poo. Poo means crab.....

I used to sit next a former Thai popular singer at work who'd changed over careers, I remember her trying to explain the naming structure to us and getting a lot of blank stares. She had not enjoyed being famous and I'm sure could sympathize with some of the less spotlight seeking Duggars!

@Kangaroo Kevin was on our short list of names just a few years ago :) I will admit I went with more old fashioned, formal first names over sentimental family names though. (My husband ixnayed "Augustus" which satisfied both requirements lol) We landed on "Matthias" and "Tristan" 

7 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

That woman is so. fucking. smug. 
I had a bit of a laugh, though, as "Katie" is considered pretty tacky name here. And I still know at least one Katie that comes from very educated, very upper-middle-class family. 

I love Harry Enfield!!! Kevin and Perry were great, as were Wayne and Waynetta. Haha

I had a friend in Germany named Astrid. :)

15 minutes ago, AlwaysExcited said:

That woman is so. fucking. smug. 
I had a bit of a laugh, though, as "Katie" is considered pretty tacky name here. And I still know at least one Katie that comes from very educated, very upper-middle-class family. 

I have to admit I'm super curious as to where it is that Katie is tacky. 

ETA: I find this thoroughly fascinating. That was the name du jour of my upper middle class elementary school in the 1980s. There were 5 Katies in my 1st grade class. 

6 minutes ago, subsaharanafrica said:

I have to admit I'm super curious as to where it is that Katie is tacky. 

Admittedly, not English speaking country. Most of the names that sound "American" are considered tacky, as they haven't been there for long. So, you can name your kids Tyler and Katie, and receive the exact same amount of judgment. 

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived