IGNORED

Future Spawning: Upcoming Babies 8

Bethella

If Courtney's baby is a girl she'd probably call it something like Calista or Calypso. I mean, Callie and Calena is just ridiculous!! 

Anyone got snarkalicious name predictions?

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

If Courtney's baby is a girl she'd probably call it something like Calista or Calypso. I mean, Callie and Calena is just ridiculous!! 

Anyone got snarkalicious name predictions?

Calliope? Calpurnia? Calvina? Calanthe? Calea? Calisha? Calani? 

Ugh, and those are just for girls!

I really hope they pick something better for this one, boy or girl. 

Aww did Courtney make her insta private again? I miss her posts. We have similar styles in that I like the whole country theme she used to have going.

The problem with theming is if you like a sound, you end up with the Jana-Joy-Anna-Johannah/Joseph-Josiah-Josie thing.  I always roll my eyes at Josiah being converted to Si, Joy-Anna to Joy and Johannah to Hannie, because it makes the J theme even more ridiculous in that it's blatantly just for show.  I know a lot of kids get nicknamed, but it's telling that it's the kids with similar names that get the nicknames.

I guess the solution to "got bored of J names" is to do what Michelle did and let the sister-mom name the new baby with Jordyn - after all, the sister-mom will be raising her, and it's a great excuse not to let JB have the Julie/Julia/Juliette he's always wanted.

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

Calliope? Calpurnia? Calvina? Calanthe? Calea? Calisha? Calani? 

I love the name Calliope but hate how it looks written. Such a bummer, haha. 

I don't like the name "Calena." I always read it as "Cadena," Spanish for "chain," which sticks in my mind because it's painfully ironic for these QF girls. Sigh.

Other boy name ideas: Ceith, Cai, Cam, Cool, Care, Core, Cloth. Any of those taken yet?

This was not my idea, but I remember someone suggesting the names Cant and Cope for the twins. That was gold. 

They've gone for nouns as names (Cash, Colt, Case??) so how about things like Cake, Cone, Cap, Corn, Cube, Chaos (which is what her life will be), Cheese, Card, Cork, Coin.... (totally NOT looking up one syllable C words... *ahem*)

Word to the wise, don't ever go with Curt. I have physical evidence that little boys named Curt may write their r's to look rather similar to n's if you catch my drift. The little Curt that wrote his name that unfortunate way gave me so many laughs that I had to keep the evidence. 

53 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

I don't like the name "Calena." I always read it as "Cadena," Spanish for "chain," which sticks in my mind because it's painfully ironic for these QF girls. Sigh.

My problem is it's one of those names that doesn't have an obviously emphasized syllable. CaLAYna? CaLEEna? CALEena? It feels kinda vague and wishy-washy next to all her brothers' short, punchy names.

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

This was not my idea, but I remember someone suggesting the names Cant and Cope for the twins. That was gold.

That was me, thanks.

It's fun to out-ridiculous the ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Lurky said:

The problem with theming is if you like a sound, you end up with the Jana-Joy-Anna-Johannah/Joseph-Josiah-Josie thing.  I always roll my eyes at Josiah being converted to Si, Joy-Anna to Joy and Johannah to Hannie, because it makes the J theme even more ridiculous in that it's blatantly just for show.  I know a lot of kids get nicknamed, but it's telling that it's the kids with similar names that get the nicknames.

I guess the solution to "got bored of J names" is to do what Michelle did and let the sister-mom name the new baby with Jordyn - after all, the sister-mom will be raising her, and it's a great excuse not to let JB have the Julie/Julia/Juliette he's always wanted.

This is true, but there are so many J names they could have used that don't sound similar to others, but didn't. Just like that Julie/Julia/Juliette - I still don't understand what was wrong with that one. 

They have could have done Jacob, Jeffrey, Joel, Jaden, Job or Judah for boys, or Judith, Joelle, June, Jade, Jasmine, Jocelin, or Jodie.

Really, it just shows their lack of care for their kids individuality. 

Jarrod, Jarrett, Jael, Julian, Jane, Jeana, Jasper, Judd, Jules, Jacinda.... I could go on all day! 

At least their middle names are all different. Except for the twin boys. They are like a single unit when it comes to their names. 

Jedidiah Robert Duggar

Jeremiah Robert Duggar

They have very similar first names, the same middle name, and the same last name. 

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Jarrod, Jarrett, Jael, Julian, Jane, Jeana, Jasper, Judd, Jules, Jacinda.... I could go on all day! 

At least their middle names are all different. Except for the twin boys. They are like a single unit when it comes to their names. 

Jedidiah Robert Duggar

Jeremiah Robert Duggar

They have very similar first names, the same middle name, and the same last name. 

I long harbored hope of a Josephine or a Jaqueline. I haven't followed the Duggars for years. Was there any particular reason that Michelle didn't want to name a child Julia/Juliette/Julie? It's a lovely name.

The twins' names bug me too. It seems like such a cop-out. Especially since Jana and John-David have such strikingly different names! Granted, they are fraternal, differently sexed twins, but even the structure of their names is unique. Lots of people have boy/girl twins and name them something similar in sound or theme, like Charles/Charlotte, or River/Willow. Jim Bob and Michelle could have come up with something a bit "matchy" if they'd wanted to, especially prior to the arrival of other children who used convenient names. Joseph and Jolene? Jordan and Joanne? Jameson and Jane? Don't get me wrong; I am glad they did something special for the first set of twins. It just makes the later laziness with the boys SO much more obvious.

@SolomonFundyJim bob always voted for Julie but Michelle seemed to have the last say when it comes to names and she never went with Julie. My theory is that Michelle knows a Julie that she can't stand and that's why she always vetoes. 

7 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

The twins' names bug me too. It seems like such a cop-out. Especially since Jana and John-David have such strikingly different names! Granted, they are fraternal, differently sexed twins, but even the structure of their names is unique.

The thing is, though - Jana and John are actually the same name, since Jana is one of the female variants of John (as is Jane, Joanna, Joan, Jean, Sian and a few others).

It's rare that I expect Michelle to know something, but I have a feeling she did know that - probably from a baby names book or something - and picked the names accordingly. 

49 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

The thing is, though - Jana and John are actually the same name, since Jana is one of the female variants of John (as is Jane, Joanna, Joan, Jean, Sian and a few others).

It's rare that I expect Michelle to know something, but I have a feeling she did know that - probably from a baby names book or something - and picked the names accordingly. 

At least those twins have very different middle names. I would cringe if it was Jana Marie and John Mario. Ok now I'm laughing at the thought that John David could be John Mario. Or Jana could be Jana Davia like Pecan's little sassy girl. 

I have a client who's daughter had identical twin daughters a little over a year ago. They have the same middle name (Marie) but completely different first names. 

6 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I had no idea that the etymology of Jana related to John! That's cool. Ultimately, this makes the matchy names for the boy twins even weaker sauce. If she had the capacity to come up with related, yet unique variant names for the first two, she could have come up with something a little more special for the second set.

11 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

And Johanna(h)...

11 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I have a client who's daughter had identical twin daughters a little over a year ago. They have the same middle name (Marie) but completely different first names. 

I went to high school in a small town that had a very high proportion of twins, so I saw all manner of twin names:  Charlene/Maureen.  Sherry/Shelly.  Bruce/Brian.  Marc/Marcia.  Lisa Ann/Lori Ann.  And just as many non-matching.

12 hours ago, catlady said:

I went to high school in a small town that had a very high proportion of twins, so I saw all manner of twin names:  Charlene/Maureen.  Sherry/Shelly.  Bruce/Brian.  Marc/Marcia.  Lisa Ann/Lori Ann.  And just as many non-matching.

I once looked up the most popular twin names and almost every single pair is matchy. Either they both start with the same letter, they rhyme, or they end with the same few letters (like Madison and Emerson). It's amazing how so many people want their twins to have matching names. I admit that if I had twins, I would try very hard to treat them as individuals. I knew twins that were treated as a unit by everyone and they never developed their own identity from their other twin. 

ETA: here is a list of this sort of thing interests you. I'm kind of a name nerd. 

http://babynames.allparenting.com/babynames/.../Top_100_Twin_Baby_Names_Boy_Girl_Social_Security_Administration/

I went to school with a set of twins who were a year ahead of me. They have names that ryme. They also were treated like a united mostly by their mother. 

My mom has identical twin cousins named Bonnie and Connie. And I went to school with identical twins named Tracy and Stacy. I hate the matching names. I think it kills people's individuality a bit; you're always part of a pair. When my son was in speech therapy, there were twin girls in his class at one point; I can't remember if they were identical or not. Every time I saw them they had completely identical outfits (shoes too) and hairstyles. I don't know if their mom always dressed them like that, but I thought it was unfair to not let them be different people. (Their names were Gianna and Gabriella, which are similar but not as ridiculous as Stacy/Tracy, at least.) I will say there are some twins who enjoy all the matching and stuff, but others really want to be individuals. The women who wrote "Dear Abby" and "Ann Landers" were identical twins. According to Wikipedia, "Abby's" daughter said her mom liked being a twin, while the other wanted to be an individual, which caused some conflict between them.

I don't like rhyming names for twins. It just seems like it would make everyone's lives a lot harder. How can they tell whether their parents are shouting for Josie or Rosie from the other end of the house? Jayden and Kayden are going to have to listen very carefully at school to be sure it is their name that is being said, not their twin's.

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic

Archived