IGNORED

Dillards 40: Majoring in Grifting

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, SuffolkNWhat said:

Wait what? Is the Chicken pox vaccine a thing in the US? It's only done privately here and is not part of the usual vaccine schedule. 

I'm 27 and I remember having to have one.

(In the states, yes.)

"I'm sorry the old Derick can't come to the phone right now. Why? Oh because he's dead." - Derick Swift (I now realize other people have made this joke and I will never now hear that song without thinking of derick.)

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My kids, now 30 and 25 were given the chicken pox vaccine.  Since my husband never had them, our pediatrician immunized him too.

My sister had the chicken pox in high school, she was very ill and uncomfortable, being covered with the blisters including inside her ears and vagina.

Maybe it is the old, deceased, zombie Derick that gets up from the grave every now and then to take control of Derick 's Twitter and fund raising. Would explain a lot. 

( btw. There's proper reformed theology for you. On this side of eternity your old self is hard to keep under the turf.)

The new Derick is frightening.

Poor Jill-Poor Izzy and Samuel.

Thank the Lord these folks more than likely will not have double digit kids.

29 minutes ago, Lurker said:

My sister had the chicken pox in high school, she was very ill and uncomfortable, being covered with the blisters including inside her ears and vagina.

:wtsf: Welp, that just made me unintentionally squeeze my thighs shut (not that that would save me from the vagina pox if ever had them!). Your poor sister!  

42 minutes ago, Lurker said:

One of my only memories from 2nd grade is my teacher telling us that 3 of her 4 kids had chicken pox in elementary school. The 4th got it in college; she was sick for like three weeks and had it on the inside of her eyelids

I remember her being really miserable with really good reason.  I had them when I was four and my case was very mild and non traumatic.

The picture with Cathy, Izzy and Samuel is lovely.  Izzy looks relaxed with her which he does not in any picture with his parents.  I also think the jumbo black mitts  on the baby at this point are odd, what are they hiding?

4 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

I just remember that episodes of whatever number kids and counting where chicken pox spread throughout the kids (so obviously they weren't giving the kids chicken pox vaccine) and Jim Bob said something like: "Now the kids can't get shingles!" :pb_rollseyes:
(that's the opposite of how that works)

Well as a kid I had chicken pox twice. Both were mild cases. Now as an adult I have had shingles twice. Both mild.

Someone posted somewhere wives and children were NOT going on the missions trips.

I said I'd save my snark for later, it's later :)

My parents and I got my wedding dress today from a charity partnered business in transition to full 501(c)3 that could not only articulate their impact, but had all of the info readily available about the charity they're merging with, numbers etc when I called ahead (my mum is likely early stage dementia, but has enough short term memory loss it's best to give a heads up in case she gets confused). We bought a heavily discounted sample dress where 90% of the proceeds will go to the free dresses they give military and first responder brides. Buy used and save the difference, I agree Duggars, I agree. I also think dads offer a whole lot of hilarity to the wedding dress shopping experience and get quite emotional.

Why is this so difficult for Derick to just...simply outline how he's going to help people? File the proper 990 rather than close down the charity. If we can find a wedding dress that does good and will be tax deductible as a charitable donation, how is this scamming going on? It's beyond maddening. He clearly has the internet and access to a keyboard, next he'll probably be defending Joel Osteen's ever changing story of delayed and very unprepared hurricane relief efforts. 

Random thought: I wonder if Israel will ever choose to go by Ray (Rae- however), I know two Isarels and one prefers Ray, the other Raul. 

I had the chicken pox as a child (way before there was a vaccine), and there seems to be a familial tendency toward getting repeated cases of shingles.  When the cutoff age for getting the shingles vaccine was lowered to 50, I was a few years older than that and promptly got the vaccine.  So far, so good.

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

I was 14, got them from my brother. You know what else I had? Aunt Flo; as if I wasn't in enough pain. :kitty-cussing::twisted:

4 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Maybe they think it only counts if they swear on the KJV? How do we get the court's attention and let them know this? Lol

(snip)

I get that you're joking, but no matter how old I get, I'm still that kid in the back of the class, going "me, me, pick me, I know the answer". The last two times I got called for jury duty in the UK, I had to go up to the person in charge (I forget their official title - court warden?), and tell them that I wasn't going to swear on the Bible. This was done privately. The person in charge gave everyone an opportunity to come forward to chat behind closed doors. Honesty compelled me to ask them not to make me swear on a book I don't believe in. :)

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Yup. Ears, eyelids, mouth, nose, vagina, rectum, and lungs - resulting in varicella pneumonia and a lung tap. You don't want your lung tapped. Trust me.

I'm not sure about the States, but I know in Canada you can definitely swear on the Quran, and I'm sure other holy books as well. You can also affirm rather than swearing. Non-religious people will often choose to affirm, but certain Christians also affirm rather than swearing on the Bible (I was one of them).

3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I'm not sure about the States, but I know in Canada you can definitely swear on the Quran, and I'm sure other holy books as well. You can also affirm rather than swearing. Non-religious people will often choose to affirm, but certain Christians also affirm rather than swearing on the Bible (I was one of them).

You can do that in the UK too. But the assumption is that you are Christian, so you have to let the person in charge know.

5 hours ago, SuffolkNWhat said:

Wait what? Is the Chicken pox vaccine a thing in the US? It's only done privately here and is not part of the usual vaccine schedule. 

In my state, it's been required to start public school since the year my 22 year old started kindergarten.  So 17 years.  I'm sure people try to opt out but speaking from personal experience, it is not always the innocent little virus people tend to think it is.  I missed a month of my sophomore year in high school and nearly died from the secondary pneumonia.  My lungs were covered in pox. 

10 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

You can do that in the UK too. But the assumption is that you are Christian, so you have to let the person in charge know.

Yep, I had to specifically ask to affirm rather than swear.

7 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

In my state, it's been required to start public school since the year my 22 year old started kindergarten.  So 17 years.  I'm sure people try to opt out but speaking from personal experience, it is not always the innocent little virus people tend to think it is.  I missed a month of my sophomore year in high school and nearly died from the secondary pneumonia.  My lungs were covered in pox. 

I'm of the age when the chickenpox vaccine just came out and missed it. I was infected before but many other kids my age received the vaccine. My mom made me get exposed to it by hanging around infected kids from kindergarten. I'm so pissed that I will likely get shingles again (had a mild case about 8 years ago and it sucked) and my younger siblings won't.

17 minutes ago, Snarkle Motion said:

I'm of the age when the chickenpox vaccine just came out and missed it. I was infected before but many other kids my age received the vaccine. My mom made me get exposed to it by hanging around infected kids from kindergarten. I'm so pissed that I will likely get shingles again (had a mild case about 8 years ago and it sucked) and my younger siblings won't.

Yeah, you probably would have been better off not getting infected, but your mom probably thought she was helping you not get a worse version later in life like I did.  I believe the shingles vaccine can help ward off another attack, but depending on your situation, you may have to pay for it out of pocket.

47 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Yup. Ears, eyelids, mouth, nose, vagina, rectum, and lungs - resulting in varicella pneumonia and a lung tap. You don't want your lung tapped. Trust me.

One of the sickest babies I ever cared for was born to a mom with active CP. He was born with CP and developed varicella pneumonia and required 3 weeks of heart lung bypass (ECMO). He did survive :).

2 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

One of the sickest babies I ever cared for was born to a mom with active CP. He was born with CP and developed varicella pneumonia and required 3 weeks of heart lung bypass (ECMO). He did survive :).

Co-worker of mine has a mild case of chicken pox when pregnant.  Baby was born blind and then the poor thing ended up with the shingles around his first birthday.

I had chicken pox as a kid. I just remember itching. My youngest was born around the start of the vaccine and I was skeptical, and delayed until she started pre-school and then she got the vaccine. Her sisters all just got it routinely. I did get shingles in my early thirties. UGH! Flu-like feeling for weeks and sore, sore spots on the left side of my back. To this day (10+ years later) i get that burning shabby feeling where the shingles were. 

14 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Co-worker of mine has a mild case of chicken pox when pregnant.  Baby was born blind and then the poor thing ended up with the shingles around his first birthday.

Sad :(

Back in the day, apparently you used to put your kids in the same room so they all get chicken pox (now that I've studying public health I learned that is what you DON'T do anything haha) so my sister got it at school and me and my twin brother got it after she got over it. But I really don't remember anything just seen pictures.

I also always assumed was an older condition but I met/knew a few who had it as early as 13/14 to 20-21. Could not imagine how horrible it would be.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived