IGNORED

Dillards 40: Majoring in Grifting

Coconut Flan

Wait what? Is the Chicken pox vaccine a thing in the US? It's only done privately here and is not part of the usual vaccine schedule. 

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I vaguely remember when the chicken pox vaccine came out. My younger kids all had chicken pox but for some reason, my oldest never caught it (immune system of iron, she NEVER gets sick), so our pediatrician at the time highly recommended that she get the vaccine. She was 12-13 at the time and it took 4 nurses to hold her down, she was so freaked out. I didn't care she was freaking out, she was going to get the damn vaccine. I got chicken pox as a teenager and it SUCKED in a HUGE way. I missed like 2+ weeks of school. 

Just add me back to the bad mom list. 

@SuffolkNWhat - the chicken pox vaccine is now given at 1 year of age during a baby's regular "wellness" appointment. A parent could decline it or delay it if they wanted to, though. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/child-adolescent.html

I got sick with chicken pox in 1989 right around Christmas - before the vaccine came out. Hell. I still have scars on my face from it. A friend of mine got it 3 years later at age 8, and it was so awful for her. She missed school for weeks, and I remember her telling me the pox were inside her throat. :my_sick:

I thought growing up having the chicken pox gave you immunity from the shingles as well. Myabe this was once thought to be the case but later studies proved otherwise? I think the Duggars just continue to rely on outdated information as they seem to be very spotty on medical care and paying attention to news sources to learn about the latest studies and practices.

I still don't know if I've had chicken pox. My mom says when I was around 18 months I had red spots and called my doctor who said not to bring me in if I was sick (a wtf thought to me now) and just assumed thats what it was. Still could have been hives or a rash. I hope I never have to find out! Had a friend go through shingles a few years ago and it sounds postively miserable and scary.

Thanks for the shingles conversation. It reminded me that I need to do some research to see if I am eligible for the shingles shot. 

Just an FYI for anyone who thinks they might have shingles. I had them at age 30 and it was one of the most painful things I've gone through (never birthed a baby, so can't compare). The worst part is is took THREE doctors to figure out what I had because my lesions presented in an unusual location (can you say inner thighs....ouch!). So even if your lesions aren't in the normal locales (mid-section if I remember) ask if it is possible!

If I'm eligible for that shot....I want it!

I got chicken pox for my 11th birthday. It sucked. I missed school and it was right during the standardized state testing so my mom had my teacher come to our house to give me the tests!! I also remember during that time was the first time I was allowed to stay home alone. I was very proud of myself and watched The Little Mermaid, which was brand new at the time.

I too will be getting the shingles vaccine when I am eligible!

16 hours ago, EmmyJay said:

I just had a thought. I know in trials and from court reporting school how your asked to swear/affirm you're telling the truth.
My question is, do they do that with lawsuits and depositions related to lawsuits? If so, would the Duggars abide bide it and tell everything? I mean if you're as religious as they choose to be, swearing on God and then lying seems like it would be a pretty big deal.

Maybe they think it only counts if they swear on the KJV? How do we get the court's attention and let them know this? Lol

5 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

So is he saying Jill is neither charming nor beautiful? Because it could be interpreted that way. lol

You beat me to it! That's what it sounded like to me. Somebody's sleeping on the couch tonight :pb_lol:

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

As for is Jill and kids are going w/ DeWRECK, no they can't go the children aren't vaccinated.  Plus Sammy isn't old enough for most of the vaccines he needs even if they WOULD give them to him. 

Who would stop them? How are these things regulated?

What pisses me off is that most insurances won't cover a shingles vaccine until age 60- I am just shy of that and did not want to fork over the $200 bucks for the shot. 

4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

What pisses me off is that most insurances won't cover a shingles vaccine until age 60- I am just shy of that and did not want to fork over the $200 bucks for the shot. 

The vaccine is less than 45 percent effective, so I wouldn't rely too heavily on it.

Best thing is to avoid people who have shingles at the contagious state, but that's not always possible.

I have what my doctor called "the lightest case" he had ever seen 2 years ago and it was miserable, unbelievably so.   Not the rash, didn't even realize what it was because it was just 2 small patches, nothing like the horrible rings of it around the middle that some people get -- but the nerve pain was just awful, couldn't get comfortable to sleep for the shooting pains and nothing much helped.

That lasted for over 6 months -- and this was a "light" case????   I shudder to think what a full blown case does to you.

There is a medication that can shorten the shingles - theoretically, but you need to know you have shingles within the first week or so.   I ignored it for 3 weeks as the rash was nothing much, could have been heat rash - until I couldn't ignore the nerve pain anymore.   Always heard you can't get shingles if you haven't had chicken pox, and I never did.    Took the medication anyway, don't know if it helped, but couldn't hurt.

Hope none of you ever get it, it sucks.

8 minutes ago, nssherlock said:

The vaccine is less than 45 percent effective, so I wouldn't rely too heavily on it.

Yes, I had heard this as well. I've known tons of people who have had shingles in the last 5 years.

If someone said that about me, I'd kick him in the balls and run the other way. Talk about manipulation. And he wonders how a 2 year old manipulates him. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree. 

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

It's my understanding that you can ONLY get shingles if you've had chicken pox. Anyone?

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/tc/shingles-prevention

Not exactly. My son had the chicken pox vaccine as a baby/child, never had chicken pox, but then had a mild case of shingles while in his teens. I guess the chicken pox vaccine was enough to put the virus into his body? My two older kids also had the chicken pox vaccine, but still had mild cases of chicken pox. My husband caught it from them and it was bad. Pox on his bald head. Ouch.

My dr agrees that the shingles vaccine is only about 50% effective at preventing shingles, but still worthwhile because it is good at preventing the permanent neurological after effects that some people unfortunately get.  I don't have any stats or personal experience, just passing that along in case it's of interest. 

What a weird sad way to look at the world. So little boy Derick who was probably sweet, innocent and beautiful is now "dead" because he wasn't a believer yet. So is Derick just waiting for Israel and Sam to grow up and accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior so little boy Israel and Sam can be dead? Ugh. 

"The old Derick is dead". Oh boy he just handed his hecklers material on a silver platter.  Standby for entertainment. :evil-laugh::popcorn:

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

It's my understanding that you can ONLY get shingles if you've had chicken pox. Anyone?

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/tc/shingles-prevention

True, you have to had exposure the virus.  And I am hoping I never get it.  Kids today get chickenpox vaccine, it will take a generation to see if that prevents shingles or whether they are suceptible too. (dead virus rather than live)

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Any Lord that I need to fear is not the Lord for me.

Why would anyone want to praise, honor and follow someone or some notion that they fear? 

Fear is often driven by knowledge deficits- how can the Duggars be so religion/faith unknowledgeable?

Fear in the way that is was taught to me woud be defined as follows.  You have a mindfulness and respect for the God.  More sort of Awe, to be amazed, to be paying attention.  As a Christian, I try to live according to His example.  Here, I may vere off now and again.  

I don't thnk the Duggars or most Fundamentalists try to emulate Christ, they are to busy being afraid of God the Father.  They love the old testament for rules and regulations; Christ eschewed that sort of practise.  Fundamentalists are the Pharises of this day.  Some of them are  Sadducces.

What the heck?

New photo of Cathy, Izzy, and Sam:

Perhaps taking a page out of the seewald book and realizing people wanna see their babies, not hear their views? Sam looks like he's praying for someone to rescue him from his crapgoblin father.

I never had chicken pox as a kid. Everyone around me got it at different times but not me. Nope, I randomly got it at 30 and still have no idea who I came in contact with that had it. Other than a two week fever, a body that felt like it was burning inside and a non-stop headache, it was a fun filled two weeks. At least my pox didn't itch.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived