IGNORED

Dillards 40: Majoring in Grifting

Coconut Flan

9 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

We don't get the vaccine here in spain either. If you haven't the disease it by age 10, you'll get ithe vaccine before turning 14.

So apparently, i fucked up. Was watching my nephew's vaccinations calendar, and as january 1st of this year, kids now get the vaccine twice, once at 15 months old and another time at 3 years old

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So does anyone understand WHERE DWreck will be saving already saved souls after this incredible year of grifting? In Africa? In NWA? At the local mall or Walmart? 

So strange. Such a bunch of garbage.

I have the opinion that Mr. Dillard's mission goals are more selfish in nature. I think he wants more stamps on his passport. It's a way for him to travel exotic locales while still being "conservative" and adhering to his republican views. He's pleased with himself that he is exposed to these different cultures and he can brag about it. However, he cannot shed the ridiculous beliefs he's managed to have grown up around. He's also crazy as hell with his prosthelytizing. 

33 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

Has anyone else heard that Pure Charity removed the Dillard's fundraiser page because they violated their terms of conduct? 

Yes. It was discussed pages back. :)

Late to the chicken pox discussion, but in the mid 80s my Mom had me and my older brother over at a neighbor kid's house while that kid had chicken pox to "get it out of the way." Neither of us caught it. There was an outbreak going around in our school some time after that and neither of us caught it either. Both of us do have a pet dander allergy so severe that we pretty much have to get our inhalers out if we come within a hundred yards of a dog, though. My younger brother (born after my Mom's attempts to get us older ones infected) had a horrible case of chicken pox in preschool but doesn't have the pet dander allergy. Different people and their different immunity levels/allergies/genetics is so fascinating.

2 hours ago, Jelly Roll said:

I have the opinion that Mr. Dillard's mission goals are more selfish in nature. I think he wants more stamps on his passport. It's a way for him to travel exotic locales while still being "conservative" and adhering to his republican views. He's pleased with himself that he is exposed to these different cultures and he can brag about it. However, he cannot shed the ridiculous beliefs he's managed to have grown up around. He's also crazy as hell with his prosthelytizing. 

And this is so annoying because you can enjoy traveling without harassing people. Like, why be an aggressive douche nozzle? Just travel, take in the culture, and keep your religion to yourself. 

44 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

And this is so annoying because you can enjoy traveling without harassing people. Like, why be an aggressive douche nozzle? Just travel, take in the culture, and keep your religion to yourself. 

He wants to travel on someone else's dime and have a platform on which he can preach his version of the Good News.

2 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

Late to the chicken pox discussion, but in the mid 80s my Mom had me and my older brother over at a neighbor kid's house while that kid had chicken pox to "get it out of the way." Neither of us caught it. There was an outbreak going around in our school some time after that and neither of us caught it either.

<snip>

Different people and their different immunity levels/allergies/genetics is so fascinating.

I was exposed to chicken pox multiple times as a child, to no avail. Yes, chicken pox parties were a thing. I went to a bunch of them.

When GryffindorDisappointment was four, she gave them to me. My whole family was surprised, and so was my doctor. Then it got super-serious, super-quick. Don't assume that you'll not get chicken pox, and please get the shot. I literally almost died from them, as an adult (I was 28 when I had them).

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

This reminds me of Jim Bob asking people if they're Christians when they went on some of their international trips - they have to "spread the good news." 

56 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Don't assume that you'll not get chicken pox, and please get the shot. I literally almost died from them, as an adult (I was 28 when I had them).

You are absolutely correct. I did eventually get the vaccine for it before college.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

He wants to travel on someone else's dime and have a platform on which he can preach his version of the Good News.

Duggar motto-"Buy used and save the difference."

DWreck's motto-"Be a user and save the difference."

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Hells to the Yah!

As soon as I read that wives and children were not allowed to go with their Husband's on the trips it cemented to me the fact that this is NOT about missions at all.

It's about Derick'so  certain freedom. It's a a quench for his wanderlust sans family responsibility. 

Jelly muffin will sit  at home tending the children while Derick fullfills his faux call in life.

What a bleeding joke.

I wish Christians and Christian leadership had enough discernment and balls to call this guy out. They fall for that shit, God told me, God called me. GOD WANTS ME, God is sending me......they  seem to overlook all the screaming hints and facts that point to immense character flaws and seem to blindly fall into believing the shit that pours out of their mouths about intent. 

Anyone and their dog can see Derick is out for number one.   Sometimes Christian leadership are so stupid. I mean that with respect . 

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

That would require he have a day job! And being holier than thou by spreading Jesus to non-white "heathens" is part of his superiority complex.

18 hours ago, Exposed Collarbone said:

When I traveled to Egypt I had to prove my vaccinations to get a visa. Many countries in Africa will not let you in if you are not properly vaccinated, which means Derick is vaccinated. Yet another reason to question his life choices. (Basing this on the presumption that the children are not vaccinated.)

That's good to know! So Derdick will have to use modern medicine!

8 hours ago, CoveredInBees said:

Today is "19 years later" in the Harry Potter universe. I'm pretty sure that makes Derick Voldemort...............

I'm pretty obsessed with today being "19 years later." And you're right, maybe he is Voldemort. We should ask Harry if his scar hurts.

I had chicken pox when I was 8 months old (this was in '94).  Had to go to the hospital.  Then, when I was in middle school or so, I had two red itchy blotches on my stomach that my doctor deemed as shingles. They were nothing more than mildly itchy, nothing like the painful shingles I have read about. I did take a medicine for them, I remember going to the front office at my school to take a pill at lunchtime for it. 

On 8/31/2017 at 3:17 PM, TuringMachine said:

I just remember that episodes of whatever number kids and counting where chicken pox spread throughout the kids (so obviously they weren't giving the kids chicken pox vaccine)

I'm still catching up on the thread so forgive me if it's moved on by now, but I got the chicken pox vaccine and still got chicken pox.  Fun times were not to be had :my_sad: 

On a happier note, one of my friends went to King's Cross today!  It appears that she planned an entire London trip (we're both from the US) to be there on September 1st.  I wonder if she's in any of the pictures.

2 minutes ago, potato said:

I got chicken pox vaccine and still got chicken pox.

I too Got the chicken pox vaccine and still got them. Mild case, probably only had 10 spots at the most on my body, slightly feverish feeling one night.  However there was an epidemic that went on in my elementary school, and I kept on going even though I totally had them, but my mom didn't think it was an issue since I had the shot when I was a baby in '95. It was only in hindsight that she realized that's what it was.. I had anxiety/panic attacks from the time I was 8, and I was always freaking out so my parents didn't believe me when I didn't feel good from actually having chickenpox! :o 

10 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

It very much feels like being covered in burns. My skin felt swollen, tight, burning pain for weeks. Then the itching started and it was so bad I couldn't sleep at night. There was one topical my doctor approved for me to use in pregnancy and that was calamine lotion. So several times a night I'd get up and spray myself down in calamine spray. It only helped for an hour and it stained every shirt I owned but it was better than nothing. For the rest of my life I'll be saying "it could be worse, I could have shingles." 

I had chickenpox at 21 while on exchange in Italy. Vaccine not available when i was little... It was the worst 3 weeks of my life - pox inside my throat, eye lids, mouth, nose and privates. Ended up with encephalitis, which was just horrid as a scared uni student with limited Italian. Though found the most amazing international hospital in Rome, who were just so lovely :)

Moral of the story - VACCINES ARE THE BEST!!!

4 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

When GryffindorDisappointment was four, she gave them to me. My whole family was surprised, and so was my doctor. Then it got super-serious, super-quick. Don't assume that you'll not get chicken pox, and please get the shot. I literally almost died from them, as an adult (I was 28 when I had them).

My husband got chickenpox as an adult from his mother's case of shingles, and he was one sick 35 year old. Our young daughters got them from him, one light case and one bad one. I was a busy nurse there for awhile.

In case you've never tried it, combing out a toddler's head of thick, thick, kinky, kinky hair after it has been unapproachable for weeks due to sores and scabs---a really lousy experience for all concerned. I was tempted to shave her head and start over, and maybe that would have been kinder.

I read (in AARP Magazine, maybe?) that it is recommended to wait until age 60 to get the shingles vaccine because it doesn't necessarily last forever. Therefore, it is better to delay and have some level of coverage for your older-old years than to have that coverage as a younger-old person.  You don't want to be 90 and have the vaccine have "worn off."

I had a mild case at age 30--hurt like fire.  Sadly, I can still feel it sometimes today--19 years later!  I cannot even imagine having a serious case. It must be torture. I was dismayed when I learned that I can get it again.

I can't remember if it was this thread or another that sent me down the Xgay Greg and Dede rabbit hole, but that's sheer insanity. Dear Rufus (and Derick, if you are reading), do not let that be your special ministry path for Cross Church. Because, unfortunately, I can see the motorcross missionary lifestyle might appeal to your wanderlust ways.

I'm only partway through that mess, but I truly hope somebody intervened and they got genuine help, because it is beyond messed up.

I was severely immunocompromised when I had chicken pox do I had to spend a week in the hospital. Of course I got them on my birthday. I feel like my chicken pox experience was bad enough that the universe will be kind and not give me shingles, esp after reading all your horror stories. 

I'm glad to see that Derelict Derrick Dillard had his funding page removed. My main hope at this point is that he has an epic fallout with Cross Church and is asked to leave the ministry school. I figure it's not unlikely that either he will do something to damage their brand and be asked to leave because he can't be a representative of the organization OR he will run into some conflict with the leaders/instructors etc. I can't picture him to be a type who is good at taking instruction/respecting authority. 

I wish the chicken pox vaccine was available when I was a kid. My sister and I were very sick with it. My sister had her kids vaccinated.

Pox parties...WTF? That is messed up on so many levels. Sorry, but it is.

I had a mild case of chicken pox when I was seven or eight. My sister, who is four years younger than I am, had them at the same time and hers were much worse. This would have been in the early 90s. Not sure if the vaccine was available then. I imagine that, if it was, it may not have been widely available as my parents were always on top of our vaccination schedules. My boys will definitely be vaccinated against everything available. Unless there's a medical reason otherwise, it just seems careless not to. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived