IGNORED

Dillards 40: Majoring in Grifting

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

No, he's not, not that we know of, anyway. He (and some of the other Duggars) were back at his 'rehab' place a few days ago, but they were there to give some sort of talk. They dragged a very pregnant Anna along with them, so he was probably there to give a speech about how God saved him from his sinful ways and now he's totes recovered.

I'm kind of torn between thanking God that some other scandal perpetuated by him hasn't come to light (for the sake of potential victims, not for him), and being exasperated that he is apparently making a comeback. Thank you for explaining!

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't Derelict an Eagle Scout? He should have some skills that would be useful in TX. But that would mean hard work.

I really have to question how hard JB has really worked. I think he did put in long hours when he was working at the car lot and the convinence store decades ago, but hadn't done so in a while. It's really not that hard to make a good living dealing in real estate in a small town, at least compared to other ways of becoming wealthy (I know because my family owns a lot of land in rural Florida). To a certain extent, it's about making the right investments at the right time in the right place, which is often more about luck than business savvy. Plus, JB has not parlayed his family's d-list are into more lucrative opportunities, like licensing. Say what you will about the Kardashian-Jenners, but they know how to play the game. Their shows are really just ads for their other ventures, while the Duggars rely solely on the show to support dozens of people. They used to do public speaking pre-Joshgate, but I don't think they'll be able to do that anymore outside of ATI, where everyone is willing to look the other way at abuse. If JB was really a savvy businessman, he wouldn't be so dependent on this single source of income, which has virtually no sponsors now. 

3 minutes ago, kunoichi66 said:

I'm kind of torn between thanking God that some other scandal perpetuated by him hasn't come to light (for the sake of potential victims, not for him), and being exasperated that he is apparently making a comeback.

Personally, I think it is a matter of time before Josh "sins" again, if he hasn't already. We just probably won't hear about it. I think he's a dangerous person, and I doubt Jesus Jail did anything to curb that.

As for Derelict, I'm glad that his grifting failed spectacularly this time and he continues to get backlash for it. He deserves every bit of it. 

8 minutes ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

Personally, I think it is a matter of time before Josh "sins" again, if he hasn't already. We just probably won't hear about it. I think he's a dangerous person, and I doubt Jesus Jail did anything to curb that.

As for Derelict, I'm glad that his grifting failed spectacularly this time and he continues to get backlash for it. He deserves every bit of it. 

I can only agree, with both of your points.

9 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I really have to question how hard JB has really worked. I think he did put in long hours when he was working at the car lot and the convinence store decades ago, but hadn't done so in a while. It's really not that hard to make a good living dealing in real estate in a small town, at least compared to other ways of becoming wealthy (I know because my family owns a lot of land in rural Florida). To a certain extent, it's about making the right investments at the right time in the right place, which is often more about luck than business savvy.

That's true, but that all takes work. Maybe not as much work as other professions, but it takes a lot more work, and willingness to work, than Derick has ever shown.

9 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Say what you will about the Kardashian-Jenners, but they know how to play the game. Their shows are really just ads for their other ventures, while the Duggars rely solely on the show to support dozens of people.

They don't, though. I think the TLC money is gravy to them. Jim Bob's real estate empire is what actually keeps them going. That's what it seems like to me, anyway. I think they actually do view their TV show as their "ministry" and the money it brings in is a bonus to them. It may be that they're not interested in using the TV show to expand their celebrity, and it may well be that they don't need to.

If the Duggars are aiming to be as rich as the Kardashians, then yeah, they're doing it wrong. If they're just aiming to be comfortably well-off and financially secure, I'd say they've probably succeeded.

3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

If the Duggars are aiming to be as rich as the Kardashians, then yeah, they're doing it wrong. If they're just aiming to be comfortably well-off and financially secure, I'd say they've probably succeeded.

I would agree with you if the Duggars had a more modestly sized family, but JB and Michelle have nineteen children whom they expect to have huge quivers themselves. I simply don't believe that savvy real estate deals in rural Arkansas, along with paltry reality show earnings, can support the ever growing number of dependents at the TTH in the manner to which they have all become accustomed. Even if we assume that the Forsyths and the Vulolos will be spending much of their time away from the TTH, that still leaves Josh's family, the Seewalds, the Dillards, and probably Joe and Kendra. That's seventeen people, and this isn't even taking into account the kids and kidults who aren't married or courting (thirteen, give or take a few). What would be a large sum of money to a family of four to eight people isn't very much when that same amount has to support an extended family of several dozen. At some point, this entire quiverfull scheme is going to collapse.

@Cleopatra7 I completely agree with you if Jim Bob plans to keep supporting an ever-increasing number of spouses and grandkids. We don't really know exactly how much financial support he's providing to Josh's family, the Dillards and the Seewalds, but we can guess it's at least somewhat substantial. For now, that's probably not an issue. But it will be if it continues on this trajectory. He's either going to have to actually get real on the 'leave and cleave' thing and insist that his sons and sons-in-law are able to support their own families, or he's going to find himself in a lot of trouble.

As for the entire quiverfull scheme collapsing? Oh yeah. It's bound to. No question about it, whether Jim Bob makes sound financial decisions or not. For so many different reasons.

3 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I would agree with you if the Duggars had a more modestly sized family, but JB and Michelle have nineteen children whom they expect to have huge quivers themselves. I simply don't believe that savvy real estate deals in rural Arkansas, along with paltry reality show earnings, can support the ever growing number of dependents at the TTH in the manner to which they have all become accustomed. Even if we assume that the Forsyths and the Vulolos will be spending much of their time away from the TTH, that still leaves Josh's family, the Seewalds, the Dillards, and probably Joe and Kendra. That's seventeen people, and this isn't even taking into account the kids and kidults who aren't married or courting (thirteen, give or take a few). What would be a large sum of money to a family of four to eight people isn't very much when that same amount has to support an extended family of several dozen. At some point, this entire quiverfull scheme is going to collapse.

Absolutely, especially since the only people in the group who seem to have any sort of marketable skill for the long run are Derick and JD- the rest of them are just drags on the system. JB should have lightened the reins on education, if he expected this empire to grow and thrive enough to support future generations of quiverful. Why didn't he educate his sons, at the very least? How is JOSH supporting JOSH'S family?

10 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I think the TLC money is gravy to them.

I think it is now, but I believe it was TLC that helped him achieve the lifestyle to which he has become accustomed. Their current home was just bones, being built very slowly by Jim Bob and the family, along with a handful of volunteers until TLC stepped in to finish and furnish it.

I'll give him credit for saving enough to buy the land and working on the house, but without TLC's early interest in the family, I think Jim Bob would have missed many business opportunities because he lacked ready cash. He does have business acumen--he rents, or at least did at one time, his land for cellular towers, and he started flipping houses before that was a thing. 

I mainly think he is where he is today because he has an amazingly fecund wife and large family he happily pimped out.

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

How is JOSH supporting JOSH'S family?

Selling used cars, I believe.

32 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I really have to question how hard JB has really worked. I think he did put in long hours when he was working at the car lot and the convinence store decades ago, but hadn't done so in a while. It's really not that hard to make a good living dealing in real estate in a small town, at least compared to other ways of becoming wealthy (I know because my family owns a lot of land in rural Florida). 

I don't think JimBob's the Andrew Carnegie of our generation or anything, I just think he's got a lot more of a motor and takes more initiative than Derrick (granted the salad I had for lunch probably takes more initiative than Derrick).

JB at least looked at the future and made investments accordingly. Derrick, at the age of 28, seems to believe that the world should somehow pay for his international vacations, schooling, and house, in perpetuity. It's seriously weird.

I think you could give Derrick a nice parcel of commercial property and he'd still manage to mess it up. Dude is dumb. And weird. And creepy.

3 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I would agree with you if the Duggars had a more modestly sized family, but JB and Michelle have nineteen children whom they expect to have huge quivers themselves. I simply don't believe that savvy real estate deals in rural Arkansas, along with paltry reality show earnings, can support the ever growing number of dependents at the TTH in the manner to which they have all become accustomed.

Well, ideally, the number of dependents will be decreasing. That's the quiverfull way: children go off and establish their own households and find a way to support themselves. Josh was doing that until his fall from grace, and I suspect within a few years he'll be supporting his family unit in some way (car dealership, working for JB's real estate business, etc). I would also like to point out that working for JB and getting a paycheck isn't necessarily charity or supporting dependents...lots of families have businesses and employ their children, who eventually take over the business themselves. JinJer appear to be financially independent. Ben works for JB, and appears to be prepping for an eventual pastor job (maybe with Jeremy?). Austin has a family business. JD, Joe, and perhaps some of the other boys clearly have blue collar life skills and could find employment if they wanted to. The rest of the girls will presumably marry men with jobs or family businesses. The rest of the boys will presumably learn how to build houses/work for the family real estate business/become pilots/be pastors/etc.

I think it's tempting to say that there is an endless hoard of dependents clamoring for JB's money, but I actually think most of the kids will be completely independent (and successful in their own ways) within the next 5-10 years. A leaning curve for young couples figuring out how to live on their own isn't unusual.

(I have no idea wtf Derelict and Jill are doing financially, besides begging for money from strangers on the internet. So I've excluded them. UGH DERICK JUST GET A JOB ALREADY.)

Now that is the most interesting thing I've seen about Derick in months! Page gone for "violations in Terms of Use". I'd love to know what those violations were or was it just all the negative comments and that's the excuse the charity is using?

11 minutes ago, TeaGrannie said:

Now that is the most interesting thing I've seen about Derick in months! Page gone for "violations in Terms of Use". I'd love to know what those violations were or was it just all the negative comments and that's the excuse the charity is using?

Oh interesting. Now I'm *really* glad I took screenshots of all of the backers' comments as of last night.

Has there been a statement from Cross Church? I wonder if they're bothered by Dwreck being associated with their program.

1 minute ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

Has there been a statement from Cross Church? I wonder if they're bothered by Dwreck being associated with their program.

I bet they are now unless they're into the whole negative attention is still attention. 

I wonder if the other people grifting for this mission school had their pages taken down too? Or if it was just dwrek? 

Also, would be interesting to know if this was because of the content, the comments or the duplicate page that they seemed to have going?

1 hour ago, bananabread said:

(I have no idea wtf Derelict and Jill are doing financially, besides begging for money from strangers on the internet. So I've excluded them. UGH DERICK JUST GET A JOB ALREADY.)

I just saw a FB meme contrasting a 4-year-degree graduate who has no marketable skills and crushing debt -- and a 1-year-tech-school grad who paid off his student loan in 3 years and is now making $70k. The punchline [sic] is that the 4-year grad is snobbish toward the 1-year grad. 

AND I MENTION this because Dreck's 4-year degree is one that *does* provide very marketable skills, and he's squandering that.

Like the Doug Phillipses, The Duggars "are not jobs kind of people" and stoopid, stoopid Derick has signed on with that. Ah, the siren song of life asleep til noon or so, then spent in pursuit of selfish pleasures. Lucky for Derick, he can't keep food down, because eventually he might find it hard to acquire any.  SMH at the waste of the scholarship money bestowed upon him.

Anyone who is "not a jobs kind of person" should also be a "not a eat regularly kind of person." Or "not a live in a home with a roof kind of person."

4 minutes ago, Chocolatedefrauded said:

Anyone who is "not a jobs kind of person" should also be a "not a eat regularly kind of person." Or "not a live in a home with a roof kind of person."

And should think real hard about procreating a quiverful of little people who depend on HIM for needed provisions.

He really needs to Grow the F up.

1 hour ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Plus, real estate is cyclical - not at all reliable for income, especially primary income with such a huge family.

I think TLC is the main income for the Duggars, which is why JimBob and Co. were so devastated when the Josh shit hit the fan -- there went the show and any hope of political influence when Josh was supposed to be their candidate for political office.   Gothard's aim is to take over the government with his white Christian army, so far Cruz and Huckabee are not doing too well on that front.

I think people don't realize the true aim of the fundamentlists - like Pence, who is a real menace.   Much as I think Trump is a useless clown, Pence is a true believer and very, very dangerous.   He would set us back to Taliban like laws if he could.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived