IGNORED

Dillards 40: Majoring in Grifting

Coconut Flan

6 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

What TLC are really concerned about (If they are, I think they might actually be loving all the publicity) is $$$$$$$$ and ratings.  

I wish TLC had never given this family the spotlight and I wish they would stop continuing to do so. Counting On is a joke and so is TLC.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now what's the plan? The grift failed spectacularly and it would look really bad to suddenly have the money you're asking people for.

Does that mean no pretend school or what?

Is Derrick the new Josh?  For me, that's like comparing a fractured elbow to a total hip replacement.  Derrick's shenanigans are a welcome distraction as I recover from surgery to mend my fractured capitellum.  It's a PIA, but hardly disabling.  Nothing like being laid up for six weeks with a hip replacement during Joshly's stint in Jesus Jail.

Derick is the new Josh in the way that he's a liability. TLC has been trying to keep the Jesus stuff to a minimum and to not show how disgusting the Duggars are. They want to distract from Josh and show the wholesome side. Derick, however, reminds everyone that they are hateful people who believe that their way is the only way. So yeah in ways he is. 

Although, Josh actually worked at the FRC, who knows what he did. Very little, I would imagine but the fact is that he had a job. Derick, um yeah, worked at Walmart for like 3 seconds. Then went to play Dirty Jesus.

So 

1. Good job Inquistr. That was an incredibly thorough write up.  I was glad to see it. I hope it gets posted everywhere. 

2. Jill has crazy eyes. That's the only thing I can think when I look at her. She has crazy eyes.  Maybe this is me BEC but she looks wrong right now. 

3. They took that baby at 3 months old with that warning? It makes me sick to my stomach.  Its unconscionable.  

Am I the only one guessing that the generous donations came from Cathy ($100) and D-wreck's brother ($25)?

Pretty telling that he's got no friends, colleagues etc - if someone I was acquainted with started grifting like that I might feel I have to give them 10 quid or so, just so I can then say "oh yes I've donated".

This looks pretty pathetic.

1 minute ago, Foudeb said:

Am I the only one guessing that the generous donations came from Cathy ($100) and D-wreck's brother ($25)?

Pretty telling that he's got no friends, colleagues etc - if someone I was acquainted with started grifting like that I might feel I have to give them 10 quid or so, just so I can then say "oh yes I've donated".

This looks pretty pathetic.

I always think of that brother and his new wife. (Is she still fiance, I think she got married but that might not be right, she was fiance on the show which is behind...) They weren't *this* family.  Cathy has drank the KoolAid and is now spouting off on Twitter but they weren't *this* growing up.  They went to school! They were conservative christians for sure but not this. Do you suppose he looks at his life like okay, my family has gone off the deep end?

Derrick is an ass, but Josh committed a crime against minor children.  I don't think you can really compare them.

34 minutes ago, EmmyJay said:

Does that mean no pretend school or what?

Not at all! 

There's always Plan B: Jilly Muffin can ask "Pops" to pay for Derick's tuition.

Plan C would be their absolute worst case scenario, but they'll do it if necessary: they can always reach into their own generous coffers and pay for it their own damn selves. Either way, he's going to ministry school. He strikes me as a person who would never back down in the face of "haters".  His "personal development" comes with a price, and although he'll do it, he'll be unhappy he has to reach into his own pocket to pay for it. 

I think his ego won't allow him to take a step back and wonder if possibly, just possibly, the angry comments held some truth. Nope, he is a martyr without powers of self-reflection, ready to suffer for his God by rejecting a 9-5 job and instead helping college students come up with skits.

It's onward and upward for the Dillards: Taking a baby into a life-threatening situation so he could tell Catholics all about Jesus while simultaneously making  pinatas, and passing out candy to people without easy access to good dental care are so last month. 

This is what I think about comparisons between Derick and Jim Bob and Derick and Josh: Derick has all of Jim Bob's bad qualities and none of Jim Bob's good qualities. Derick has all of Josh's asshole qualities but none of Josh's sexually deviant qualities (I mean, so far as anyone knows).

4 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

This is what I think about comparisons between Derick and Jim Bob and Derick and Josh: Derick has all of Jim Bob's bad qualities and none of Jim Bob's good qualities. Derick has all of Josh's asshole qualities but none of Josh's sexually deviant qualities (I mean, so far as anyone knows).

What are Jim Bob's  good qualities? I'm not being difficult or rude--I legitimately would like to hear your opinion. 

4 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

What are Jim Bob's  good qualities? I'm not being difficult or rude--I legitimately would like to hear your opinion. 

I think that Jim Bob is actually a hard worker. He's a pretty good businessman. He was clever and dedicated enough to start from basically nothing and build a solid foundation for his family. He's invested enough in real estate and various other ventures to not have to rely on TLC money. Whatever his bad points are (and he has many), these are all qualities that enable him to actually support his family, and they're qualities that Derick pretty glaringly lacks.

8 hours ago, Fluffy14 said:

He closes his ministry the exact time he has to show what he has done with funding??

Exactly, it's super sketchy and sort of screams, "FRAUD!!"

4 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I think that Jim Bob is actually a hard worker. He's a pretty good businessman. He was clever and dedicated enough to start from basically nothing and build a solid foundation for his family. He's invested enough in real estate and various other ventures to not have to rely on TLC money. Whatever his bad points are (and he has many), these are all qualities that enable him to actually support his family, and they're qualities that Derick pretty glaringly lacks.

Thank you. That was well put. 

Josh: generally smug, hypocritical (although he did eventually admit his faults), cheated on devoted and dependent wife, teenage "wrong choices", generally acts selfish towards others, embarrassed entire family and put the gravy train in jeopardy, only pursued treatment in the form of faith-based rehab.

Derick: married dependent wife when he had a good job and appeared to be a nice guy, later refuses to provide for family, takes wife and infant to dangerous location so he can pursue missionary work (I use that term generously), takes very pregnant and at-risk for complications wife back to dangerous location and has no plan to help her if she goes into premature labor besides "hope we can get back to Amurrrrica, lol," calls child manipulative, etc., spends time bashing strangers on the internet instead of working, begs for money from the public, generally embarrasses entire family and has taken no steps to improve himself (not even faith-based rehab).

Have I forgotten anything major? Honestly in some ways I think Derelict is worse. Josh never endangered the lives of his wife and children, and he does seem to really love his kids. He has also always worked (the iffy quality of said employment notwithstanding). But I agree it's up for debate.

3 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I can't believe I'm going to say this since they frequently just copy/paste from here but that comment from the inquisitor journalist was really good. That's how People Mag should be speaking about the Duggars. 

It really was. 

And reading through a breakdown of their activities for the past two years really drives home that Derrick and Jill are shady as shit.

Like, I knew they were idiots and had made no real plans for actually accomplishing anything in El Salvador, but I never realized just how dishonest they were. 

The fact that Josh molested his younger sisters and another girl, then grew up to cheat on his completely dependent and devoted wife, all the while working for a right-wing religious organization actively dedicated to legislating a moral code which he himself was breaking, to me makes him worse than Derick. But Josh has at least more or less stayed out of the spotlight since his fall from grace, and he hasn't (so far as I know) endangered the lives of his wife and children, whereas Derick appears to be on an ever-accelerating downward trajectory of douchebaggery, so idk.

JB may have been a hard worker in the 80s, but since then? Nope, opportunistic and cunning is what JB has been for a good, long time. He sold his kids, the family, the name, privacy and anonymity away for easy cash- he had more kids so he could keep his $gravytrain$ going. In addition, IIRC, he didn't even show up regularly when he was working in government, and when he did, he often brought a kid with him. JB has not seen hard work in decades. Hard working people get up at the crack of dawn for decades on end, and when they're not working at their jobs, they are working at home. Nah, I totally disagree that JB is hardworking.  My hubs and I do more in a week than JB seeming does in 3 months- and I'm retired!

He getting criticised for this tweet :

https://mobile.twitter.com/derick4Him/status/902700164892172288?p=v 

Is this a legitimate way to help people affected by Hurricane Harvey? Or is it a scam?

Derick  has be bothered by the lack of donations and negative comments. He needs to get off social media, get a job and pay for his ministry school. This should be a wake up call for Derick. There is no way he will be able to ask for donations again. This is a massive failure. 

I'm not familiar with NAMB so I can't speak on them, but I doubt Derick donated anything. 

Like anything, fatigue sets in. How many times have the Dullards asked for money? People will only give so much.. and then they'll be fed up and stop.

2 hours ago, Drala said:

Is Derrick the new Josh?  For me, that's like comparing a fractured elbow to a total hip replacement.  Derrick's shenanigans are a welcome distraction as I recover from surgery to mend my fractured capitellum.  It's a PIA, but hardly disabling.  Nothing like being laid up for six weeks with a hip replacement during Joshly's stint in Jesus Jail.

Hang on, is Josh back in jesus jail?!

I need to go and check out some threads, clearly...

4 minutes ago, kunoichi66 said:

Hang on, is Josh back in jesus jail?!

No, he's not, not that we know of, anyway. He (and some of the other Duggars) were back at his 'rehab' place a few days ago, but they were there to give some sort of talk. They dragged a very pregnant Anna along with them, so he was probably there to give a speech about how God saved him from his sinful ways and now he's totes recovered.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived