IGNORED

Seewalds 25: Jessa is allowing Spurgeon to "jump for joy", er, dance

samurai_sarah

I love all of you so much for making this thread about Tudor England and various monarchs.  So. Much.  

As a token of my affection, please enjoy this tweet collection from earlier this year when the CofE Twitter reignited reformation religious debates.  Keep reading to see more replies, including but not limited to the eventual result of someone blaming Islam, as is required in ALL Twitter arguments in this year of our Lord 2017. 

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sawasdee said:

I am still astounded at the idea of an Edinburgh Castle guide getting such a major fact wrong. And it must have been a guide that told you, because it is certainly not in any guidebooks. I am sure there was no sign in the room announcing this false fact.

https://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/discover/highlights/the-royal-palace

^^Edinburgh Castle website with James's birthplace mentioned

From the Edinburgh Castle guidebook published by Historic Scotland:

The most important event at the Palace was the birth of the future King James VI, on 19 June 1956. His mother, Mary Queen of Scots, had abandoned the comfort of Holyroodhouse for the birth. The castle was safer, and remained an important symbol of royal power.

And yes, there is a sign in the room announcing the fact.

Oh yes, Mary Queen of Scots had ghastly taste in men. Such an interesting character, seriously I wonder how her life would have been different had her father lived. Even if he had died of disappointment over the daughter. Or if Mary had been kept in Scotland rather than France. All very intriguing! 

Also, Henry VIII's worry about having a female heir wasn't unwarranted. The only previous female heir has been the Empress Matilda and her slimy cousin Stephen quickly took the throne from her. Matilda really has the last laugh there though. 

Mary, Queen of Scots made one mistake, in my estimation: She repeatedly pissed off the wrong woman!

Laying claim to the English throne? It made sense, as long as France and the Holy Roman Empire were behind her. But the moment she found herself queen of Scotland only, it wasn't such a wise move to marry Darnley to consolidate her claim. It worked out for her descendants, but saw her beheaded. So, in terms of health, it wasn't all that wise.

Having said that, hindsight is easy. Mary was in a difficult position from the start, and whichever way she moved, she was going to piss off someone.

Also, add me to the people who like Catherine Parr and Anne of Cleves. I always imagine Anne of Cleves going "eff this, I'm out of here, never wanted anything to do with it in the first place" and going on her merry way. Educated, she wasn't, but she certainly was smart.

5 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

What did Matilda do to have the last laugh?

Her son became the next king.

3 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

Her son became the next king.

I realize this is important, and was super important to people then, but I'm a bit disappointed :( 

12 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

What did Matilda do to have the last laugh?

Her son Henry married Eleanor, Duchess of Aquitaine after her annulment for Louis of France.  Henry then decided to take England by force, pressing his claim for the throne through his mother. He would have taken Stephen off the throne if Stephen hadn't decided to make Henry his heir. Stephen's son Eustace had died and he knew that he could not win the war against Henry, so he conceded his defeat making Henry his heir. Matilda's son therefore was the king of England. She saw someone from her own line crowned king. 

5 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

I realize this is important, and was super important to people then, but I'm a bit disappointed :( 

Know what you mean. I'd have loved it too, if Matilda had won, shown Stephen the finger and said some choice words. Alas, it was the middle ages and only Eleanor of Aquitaine (Matilda's daughter-in-law) was badass enough to do that kind of thing.

P.S.: Well, Eleanor of Aquitaine wasn't the only badass medieval woman, but probably the most famous. And she really went for it! She firmly belongs in the league of women I never, ever want to annoy. :)

23 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

Know what you mean. I'd have loved it too, if Matilda had won, shown Stephen the finger and said some choice words. Alas, it was the middle ages and only Eleanor of Aquitaine (Matilda's daughter-in-law) was badass enough to do that kind of thing.

P.S.: Well, Eleanor of Aquitaine wasn't the only badass medieval woman, but probably the most famous. And she really went for it! She firmly belongs in the league of women I never, ever want to annoy. :)

Okay, what did Eleanor do?  Sorry for asking so much, I'm just loving FJ historical story time!

On September 20, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Carm_88 said:

I don't know what's going on here but Henry looks quite done with it all!

They all look done 

16 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

Okay, what did Eleanor do?  Sorry for asking so much, I'm just loving FJ historical story time!

Loving this as much as you do! :)

Eleanor was their heiress of Aquitaine, which was a pretty important part of France. She married the French king, in an arranged marriage, and bore him daughters. Not great for a medieval queen, but that didn't stop her. She went on a crusade with her husband, and then divorced him for the younger claimant to the English throne (Matilda's son). Things went well for a while, until he took a mistress. Eleanor being herself didn't take that well. With her childrens' help, she went to war. And sadly, her husband imprisoned her for years. When he died, she went free, and continued being a major influence in politics.

Sorry - I typed the date incorrectly, above. And obviously wrote Elizabeth erroneously (I was typing in haste - I apologize).

And I do have photos of the sign in the room. We don't take guided tours, so nobody "told" me that James VI/I was born in that room. :)

More official (non-Wiki) links:

http://www.scottishcastlesassociation.com/news-articles/news/edinburgh-castle-birth-room.htm

https://www.britannica.com/biography/James-I-king-of-England-and-Scotland

Wow. Jenni has changed so mich. I wouldn't mind seeing the little ones again, if we could keep their parents away. But just once, then the whole family can disappear forever.

7 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I wonder if Jinger took that photo. It just reminds me of her style.

I agree. And I wonder if it's just one of many that they plan to use to announce #3. Yes, I'm on the "she has to be pregnant by now speculation bus." lol

In fairness to Jessa, when your kids  are that cute, marketing is nothing more than the click of a camera.  I wonder if they were doing a pregnancy announcement photo shoot? Yes, I went there. Schrodinger's uterus y'all!

4 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

In fairness to Jessa, when your kids  are that cute, marketing is nothing more than the click of a camera.  I wonder if they were doing a pregnancy announcement photo shoot? Yes, I went there. Schrodinger's uterus y'all!

I actually thought the same thing. Just because of the timing. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived