IGNORED

Bad Christian Movies

L1o2u3

They did it at the Christian school I taught at the first year I was there.

I was not involved in the drama department yet. Thank goodness. I was asked if I wanted to help, but I was overwhelmed as a first year teacher, so I declined. Once I saw it, I was very grateful my name was not on it. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I got Princess Cut and Fireproof for free :D Has anybody seen it? I am looking forward to watching snarking about it soon. 

In the not-so-bad Christian movies category - I really enjoyed "Risen" that came out in 2016 with Joseph Fiennes.  And when Jesus appeared, I had to hold myself back from standing up in the theater and shouting "FINALLY, A JESUS WHO ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE HE COULD BE A MIDDLE-EASTERN JEW!"  (he was played by the New Zealand actor who was the dad in Whale Rider).  I thought it was a well-done film, and not overly preachy.

@danvillebelle Oh, I have that one at home, but I haven't watched it yet. Bought it for Easter, but then I didn't have the time and now I wonder if I should wait until next Easter :D 

Another movie I watched a few weeks ago was actually a concert movie/documentation by Hillsong United. But it was very disappointing. I was hoping to get some insights into Hillsong Church and its history, but that was only in the bonus content and that (30-45 min long) video felt like a long, long advertisement. The main movie was basically about the preparation for a big concert and they even talked during the songs so you couldn't sing along, if you had wanted to. 

Since it's my day off today, I'll watch Princess Cut. I wonder if it's as bad as it looks from the trailer... Daddy gets involved into his daughter's love life because apparently she's unable to pick the right guy for herself. 

On 9/9/2017 at 7:24 AM, CyborgKin said:

That bunch's next attempt turned out a bit better:

If "Beyond the Mask" was *better*, I'd hate to see worse.  One of my kids drug it home from the library & we watched it over Thanksgiving.  I couldn't get into it.  One of the major annoyances was the dramatic/thematic music that was CONSTANTLY playing.  More chello's, indeed.  And the ending was way to contrived.

So the positive thing about Princess Cut was that the actress was rather cute :D But other than that, it was boring and predictable. There's not a single kiss in this movie and we don't even get to see the wedding in the end. 

It was very fundie for me. It starts with Grace being involved in "relationships" (they just date, never kiss or something like that and I assume that some guys didn't even know they were in a relationship with her :D especially the one that introduces her to his fiancée at the beginning of the movie). Her father has gotten a book from his pastor about "Fathers giving away their daughters in marriage" and is now convicted he has to be involved and wants to talk to her date beforehand. After her latest crush then kisses her (we don't see that, they couldn't put mature content in there ;) ), she breaks up with him and tearfully confesses to her parents she has lied to them about the level of physical involvement :o then she goes to the library and gets all that courtship literature (When God Writes Your Love Story by Eric and Leslie Ludy, Boundaries in Dating and THE BOTKIN SISTERS' It's not that complicated, Before You Meet Prince Charming by Sarah Mally and some others) and gets convicted and THANK GOD a handsome Christian doctor moved in next door and his father already likes him, so they start courting and go putput-golfing being chaperoned and then his ex shows up, but he rejects her. And then handsome Christian Doctor and Grace get married, have a daughter and start being soy bean farmers because that's what Grace's father also does for a living and who cares that he is a doctor and she went to college, Dad wants it that way and it's all about making Daddy happy. 

Funny thing, we never see them going to church or see that pastor and we also never see Grace in college (she only does a project at home). And of course Grace still lives at home (she's supposed to be in her early twenties, but acts like she's 16) and the handsome Christian Doctor looks not like 28, more like 35. 

Oh and there'll be a movie about Abby Johnson. It will be made by the same people that brought us God's Not Dead. 

Spoiler

God's Not Dead 1 and 2 are hilariously bad. Situations that would not happen in real life and remember, if you are an atheist, you clearly hate the Christian god. You can't just not believe, something bad had to happen to make you hate him. The arguments are so bad and I rolled my eyes so hard. Then add a 2nd one where a teacher answered a student's question and suddenly it's an attack on faith that would never happen. The number of people who think they are great films is hilarious too. 

I will add Christmas with a Capital C (you can only say Merry Christmas and screw all other holidays), I'm Not Ashamed (way to exploit a real life tragedy), Voiceless (anti-abortion with a guy who acts like he's going to murder everyone in the woman's clinic), Christian Mingle (the movie based on the site), War Room, God's Club, The Case for Christ, Courageous, The Lock In (supposed to be a horror movie haha), If Footmen Tire You What Will Horses Do, Old Fashioned, The Burning Hell, anything by PureFlix or Kendrick Brothers or Kirk Cameron or New Zealand's Banana Man. 

Princess Cut looks horrifying. Even when I was stuck in a fundie home I remember arguing with my Dad, saying I'd pick my own man. And when Mr. EW went to ask "permission" to get married I did tell my dad before hand that "his job was to say yes and nothing else."

i was always a rebel 

God's Not Dead 1 and 2 are hilariously bad. Situations that would not happen in real life and remember, if you are an atheist, you clearly hate the Christian god. You can't just not believe, something bad had to happen to make you hate him. The arguments are so bad and I rolled my eyes so hard. Then add a 2nd one where a teacher answered a student's question and suddenly it's an attack on faith that would never happen. The number of people who think they are great films is hilarious too. 
I will add Christmas with a Capital C (you can only say Merry Christmas and screw all other holidays), I'm Not Ashamed (way to exploit a real life tragedy), Voiceless (anti-abortion with a guy who acts like he's going to murder everyone in the woman's clinic), Christian Mingle (the movie based on the site), War Room, God's Club, The Case for Christ, Courageous, The Lock In (supposed to be a horror movie haha), If Footmen Tire You What Will Horses Do, Old Fashioned, The Burning Hell, anything by PureFlix or Kendrick Brothers or Kirk Cameron or New Zealand's Banana Man. 
LOL sounds like you're a fellow listener of God Awful Movies.

Showing my age...

Nobody's thrown out this one yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RrXf0zGjxQ

Before there was the "Left Behind" series, there was the "Thief in the Night" trilogy. Surely someone here's heard of that one. Filmed on location in Des Moines, Iowa. 

The later two are actually worse, if you can believe it. They're on youtube as well, I believe. 

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that it was Michelle Duggar's seeing "A Thief In The Night" as a teenager that led to her conversion and resignation from the cheerleading squad.

7 minutes ago, infooverload said:
2 hours ago, dairyfreelife said:

LOL sounds like you're a fellow listener of God Awful Movies.

I had not heard of them until this thread, but sadly I have seen the God's Not Dead movies and several I listed. I know too many people who like crappy movies haha. 

There's one I watched years ago (when Hulu played bad movies for free) called Evil Behind You. I'm not gonna give y'all any information except that you can watch it on youtube. 

There's another called The Other Side, which had a bit more of a budget and was one of Jaimie Alexander's first jobs. The religious stuff isn't overt until the end of the movie.

The Omega Code from1999. Stars Casper Van Dien and Catherine Oxenberg with Michael York and Michael Ironside.  This is in the left behind end of the Christian movie spectrum.  I believe it came out after the book and before the movie.  Personally I thought this movie was better then Left Behind’s movie version

I'm not sure if Last Day Films/Cloud Ten Pictures have been brought up. If not, then yea, research those. 

Here's one of them. I believe they had a whole end time series. http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0257408/?ref_=m_nmfmd_act_115

I'm sorry, I didn't look for a trailer because honestly it's too triggering for me. There was a family friend in the church I grew up in who went really radical Christian/fundie and when we'd go visit him we'd have to sit through these kinds of movies. We watched the whole series + others similar. It was very traumatizing to the heart and mind of a child. 

Here's another one from my childhood: https://kingofgloryministries.org/store/index.php/sheffy.html

I grew up watching Christian movies. There are some really bad ones. 

I enjoyed Friendship Fields. It’s corny but not to the point of flaky. 

A more recent series is the Love Come Softly dramas. I lost track of how many there are but my Fundie friends absolutely love them.

I have yet to watch Priceless that supposedly tells the story of a human trafficker that grows a moral compass and rescues people he trafficked. 

Priceless sounded a bit predictable but okay. Maybe I'll watch it. .. I would really like it if Netflix Germany and Amazon Prime Video had these movies. Then I could watch them all for free. :D

4 hours ago, L1o2u3 said:

Priceless sounded a bit predictable but okay. Maybe I'll watch it. .. I would really like it if Netflix Germany and Amazon Prime Video had these movies. Then I could watch them all for free. :D

I have seen Priceless on Prime here in the States. Not sure if it is available everywhere. 

Here's something funny: creationists having a go at on christian movies: https://creation.com/let-there-be-light-review

Let There Be Light is a deeply forgettable movie. It is nothing but a collection of cheesy Christian movie tropes jumbled together with some famous names and media personalities. And then it turns out that it’s little more than an ad for a gimmicky app that I predict will backfire badly.

The storyline was bland and predictable (it was basically God’s Not Dead meets The Shack), the characters were stereotyped and most were very unlikeable. The atheist was an alcoholic divorced man who emotionally neglected his kids—because that’s what all atheists are like, right? And his Christian ex-wife is perfect, because all Christians are perfect, right? And they even managed to stereotype the idea of the pastor who used to be a bad boy, down to him still talking like a Mafioso—“Jesus got whacked”. Really?

The worst problem, though, and the problem that most ‘Christian’ movies share, is that they are very unclear about the Gospel. The atheist character ‘comes to faith’ not because of a biblically based Gospel presentation, but because of a near death experience where he encounters his son who died tragically of cancer (because all atheists are that way because of a painful experience in their past, right?). And then the very next thing is not to get the now-former atheist character in a church and out of the limelight for a little while so he can develop his new faith and focus on rebuilding the broken relationships in his family, but to put him on a pedestal and schedule a media tour to promote his new app.

I dunno there's just something amusing about creationists snarking at the poor portrayal of atheists in christian movies.

On 11/27/2017 at 11:34 AM, bowlady said:

Showing my age...

Nobody's thrown out this one yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RrXf0zGjxQ

Before there was the "Left Behind" series, there was the "Thief in the Night" trilogy. Surely someone here's heard of that one. Filmed on location in Des Moines, Iowa. 

The later two are actually worse, if you can believe it. They're on youtube as well, I believe. 

We watched this in Sunday School, in lieu of any actual doctrinal instruction when I was way too young to absorb it. My mother was unsympathetic to my upset.

On 11/27/2017 at 7:27 PM, clueliss said:

The Omega Code from1999. Stars Casper Van Dien and Catherine Oxenberg with Michael York and Michael Ironside.  This is in the left behind end of the Christian movie spectrum.  I believe it came out after the book and before the movie.  Personally I thought this movie was better then Left Behind’s movie version

Oh, yes! This was when The Bible Code and other quasi-heretical numerology fads were sweeping the non-denominational charismatic and evangelical circuit.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived