IGNORED

Josh, Anna, M-Squad Pt 13: Awaiting M5

choralcrusader8613

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

I watched Blue's Clues with my 3 year old grandson. Hated it.

With Steve or Joe? I had such a crush on Steve at the time that I could ignore the annoying features of the show. True mom confessions, I guess.

I almost wish I could go back to the days of watching the Wiggles, Thomas the Tank Engine, Phineas and Ferb, and Spongebob (still watch that one sometimes on my own!) with my boys! I miss the innocence and excitement they would show when their favorite characters were on. Now at almost 15 and 13, it's either sports, any ghost hunter type show, finding Bigfoot, Expedition Unknown, or Impractical Jokers. Oh how their vocabulary has grown!!! 

Blue's Clues with Steve was way better IMO!! 

47 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Grand wolf and I watched Dr. Who together from the time he was about 10. You can never indoctrinate too young, ask the Duggars. I'm glad he chose that, and wasn't born into a cult. (Except the Dr. Who cult, of course.)

Mr.Slyther has finally started indoctrinating me into the DrWhovian thing. I'm 50, and slow. lol

6 hours ago, LeftCoastLurker said:

I am in the fan camp for the Wiggles. They were they ONLY show I would happily put on the VCR for my kids. Funny  memory though, is that while my 2 year old LOVED the wiggle on TV, we took her to a live event and she was terrified! We had to leave. LOL Even though they are 15 and 17 now, occasionally events occur which causes my husband or myself to break out singing parts of their songs!

Fruit Salad, Yummy Yummy! I thought one of the Wiggles was super hot.

I was raised on OG Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, and Cartoon Network. I remember really especially loving All That and Kenan & Kel, which meant I absolutely lost my shit when I found out that Kenan Thompson had become a cast member of SNL. That dude was a huge part of my childhood. Pierre Escargot for the win! Also, PowerPuff Girls, That's So Raven, Sailor Moon, and The Amanda Show -- man, there were some good female-driven shows back in my day.

Though my biggest love as a kid was anything Disney Princess. I was the kind of kid who, if Disney released a movie that was just 90 minutes of Newt Gingrich having flaming poops in a gas station bathroom, I'd be in the Disney Store begging my mom to buy me a Magic Shitting Newt doll and the entire Newt's Magical Poops tie-in TV series on VHS. I think I should buy my parents a nice steak dinner to apologize for the terrible Disney sequels (Hunchback of Notre Dame 2 was especially awful) and crappy merchandise I forced them to buy for me and suffer through.

20 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

@browngrl Lol that is an urban legend. Caillou does not have cancer. I looked it up once because it bugged me that he is bald even though everyone else, including his baby sister, has a full head of hair (It also annoys me that Daniel Tiger doesn't wear pants, but I digress). So feel free to hate on him without guilt!

(And in case anyone is curious, the reason he is bald is because the show is based off a book, and in the book Caillou is a baby. Even though they aged him up, they decided to keep him bald so the character would still be recognizable.)

I had to google him. Not sure if the show was ever shown in the UK? Certainly not in the  1990s- early 2000 when my two where small. 

I watched the gerbil/hamster episode. Sensible advice given. Very boring though. Narrator needs strangling. Father couldn't be any more modern man/ liberal/ etc.... If he tried. Why no hair?????? Why weren't the parents worried?????

I was raised on Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers and Disney movies. I never really got into watching the Disney channel unless they were playing a Disney movie.  My nephew loved Caillou for a few months but was really more into Spongebob, Dora the Explorer, Curious George, Ghost Hunters, and Ice Road truckers.  

1 hour ago, Greendoor said:

Absolutely hated Caillou.  Thankfully my son did too. 

We watched Tellytubbies when he was pre-walking.  

Once he was in daycare and I only had him in the evenings, he watched Mighty Machines, while I cooked dinner.  That I could live with.

The most fun was when he was 10 or 11.  We watched 16 and Total Drama Island together.  16 was good, and Total Drama Island had some really funny shows.

I remember watching mighty machines with my two. It was quite educational!!

50 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I watched Blue's Clues with my 3 year old grandson. Hated it.

I never understood or got the point of that show at all. My boys hated it. 

I saw that this thread was hot and scampered over to see if the blessed event occurred. A discussion of children's shows is almost as good.  I'm old enough that Mr Rogers was my main jam although I liked The Electric Company as well. Then there were Saturday morning cartoons.  Hannah Barbera, Pink Panther,  Wonder Twins, My Little Ponies. The Monkeekees.  My son likes Mickey Mouse Club house and watches movies ad nauseum. Right now he's into The Three Mouskateers. But The Incredibles is also high up there. He'd watch the Transformers movies endlessly if we let him but they are too long and I feel guilty about the cursing. 

I loved Arthur and would watch it even if my girl was napping.

12 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Anyone remember H.R. Pufnstuf?  It was so weird.  Yes, I'm old.

Yes I watched it. I swear the people who made that were high. Puff-n-stuff ? really?

1 hour ago, Shadoewolf said:

I grew up on the original Sesame Street, Sharon, Lois, and Bram, etc.  My kids were into Bear in the Big Blue House, Backyardigans, Team UmiZoomi, Mike the Knight, Laurie Berkner kinda stuff. I hated Max and Ruby because of the way it seemed Ruby always bossed and/or manipulated Max. Never watched Cailou. My son loved everything and anything Cars and Phineas and Ferb for a good long while, now he is all about Teen Titans Go. 

Hooray for The Elephant Show! I watched quite a bit of Canadian TV as a young child, including Fred Penner's Place, Today's Special, and The Elephant Show.  This is in addition to Sesame Street and Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, of course. And Shining Time Station, the American TV show probably best known for introducing American audiences to Thomas the Tank Engine, although I personally preferred the other segments of the show.

4 minutes ago, JMO said:

Mr Rogers was my main jam although I liked The Electric Company as well.

I loved Mr. Rogers (and had one of his albums!!!!) and Sesame Street (BEFORE Snuffleupagus even existed). But I could never stomach Electric Company. My absolute fave though, was ZOOM!

Space Angels. Clutch  Cargo. Journey to the Center of the Earth. Mighty Mouse.  Mr. Magoo. Speed Racer. Yogi Bear. Lost in Space. Gilligan's Island. A few of those were after school, but most were Sat. AM shows. Besides HR Pufnstuff...there was the Banana Splits and the Monkees. And they were not reruns!

My favourite show when I was little (about 5) was Kimba the White Lion.  I remember vividly being outside playing in the street, it just getting dark and mum calling out "Karma, Kimba's on".   

As a bit older child my favourite was definitely Skippy (the bush kangaroo).  

As a teenager I'd watch the Streets of San Francisco with my mum on a Saturday night. I was so happy to finally visit that amazing city last year!

My kids loved Gullah Gullah Island, but did not enjoy other kid shows as much. They loved cooking shows, ice skating, movie musicals, anything about animals or the ocean,  and WW11 documentaries about aviation. I am not joking.

@Kjaerringa shows from my youth! Saturday morning television at its best. Also watched the Archies, Sabrina,  and a Josie and the Pusat cats. I also read the comics.

39 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Anyone remember H.R. Pufnstuf?  It was so weird.  Yes, I'm old.

OMG that was the first show I ever remember watching, I'm old too.  I had to miss it one day because we had to go pick up my baby brother from the hospital.  I still haven't forgiven him. 

47 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

Why no hair??????

Caillou means pebble in French, at least in Quebecois French hence the name.

When we moved to Quebec in 2000, I was trying to get Seafilly1 watching French shows as a prelude to daycare. All that she would watch were the Teletubbies since she'd been watching them back in the UK and Caillou. French Caillou is even worse than the English version.

29 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

Hooray for The Elephant Show! 

I haven't seen the Elephant Show in decades, but I can still sing the Skinamarink song with the hand motions and I'm sure a lot of other older millennial FJers can too. In retrospect, I like how 80s Nick was willing to be experimental by having so many quirky shows from other countries, including ones from Canada and dubbed anime, whereas now it's just Spongebob 24/7. I really don't get Spongebob at all, and this is coming from someone who used to love Ren and Stimpy, at least until the Adult Party version permanently ruined it for me.

My favorite show as a kid and was only really shown in the New York/ New Jersey area was The Magic Garden. My sister's favorite show was Zoobilee Zoo.  That show freaked freeked me out because it was people dressed as animals. 

Just now, Jana814 said:

My favorite show as a kid and was only really shown in the New York/ New Jersey area was The Magic Garden. My sister's favorite show was zoobizoo. That show freaked because it was people dressed as animals. 

Do you mean Zoobilee Zoo? There's another one I hadn't though of, but I watched that one too, now that you reminded me.

And none of this takes into account animated TV shows like the Muppet Babies. 

Just now, Cleopatra7 said:

I can still sing the Skinamarink song with the hand motions and I'm sure a lot of other older millennial FJers can too.

I thought I was the only one!

Loving this kids shows discussion! I'll admit, I was a Caillou fan back in the day. I think I even remember when the show first started. My favorites, however, were the classic Playhouse Disney lineup. (Out of the Box, Bear in The Big Blue House, Rolie Polie Olie.)

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived