IGNORED

Josh, Anna, M-Squad Pt 13: Awaiting M5

choralcrusader8613

19 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

I'd say Victoria or Alice for a baby princess and Phillip or Albert or Arthur for a baby prince. 

I doubt they'll use Edward as a first name because of the negative connotations in the direct line. As in the previous Edward who wasn't a great king and nearly ran Balmoral into the ground 

shouldn't we have a royal baby thread for this drift? 

All this Edward name bashing is starting to make me feel bad for the Queen's youngest son Edward.  Makes me wonder why they gave him that name the Queen hated her Uncle Edward, why name her kid after him unless she didn't' want him.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt Edward is an unpopular name for the British royals. After all, there have been eight of them (eight using it as a reign name, anyway) and they've been all over the place in terms of personality and the like. If Edward was verboten, QEII wouldn't have used it for her youngest son.

I've read that Kevin is considered to be a trashy name outside of English-speaking countries, I think because it reeks of choosing a name from a Hollywood movie (i.e. The Home Alone franchise). Can our continental FJers confirm this?

14 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I've read that Kevin is considered to be a trashy name outside of English-speaking countries, I think because it reeks of choosing a name from a Hollywood movie (i.e. The Home Alone franchise). Can our continental FJers confirm this?

I thought Kevin was considered a kind of trashy name within English-speaking countries, too.

(I'm not giving my opinion on the name. I have a relative named Kevin, actually, and his mother is the furthest thing from trashy, so I really don't like that it has that connotation, but apparently for whatever reason it does.)

19 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

There's an urban legend of a kid named ''Kevin Costner de Jesús''. So yes, you can't get any lower than that. Jessicas are not exactly classy either.

2 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I thought Kevin was considered a kind of trashy name within English-speaking countries, too.

I don't think I've ever gotten that impression. I wonder if it's a generational or regional thing?

i can only speak from a german speaking reference. Many shows that I would call trash tv had parents with a lot of kids with really weird names, and Kevin was one of them. pronounced like 'keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhh-WIN'. Most people in my generation know these kinds of videos, because they were quite popular when they were first shown as something to laugh about, and since then, I probably would not be thinking about naming my child Kevin (though I did not have that planned before)

Female names also include Jacqueline or Chantal. 

Unfortunatly, I also met people with these names (all three of them, and those three people confirmed the stereotype..)

I do not think it has something to do with Home alone, but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

All this Edward name bashing is starting to make me feel bad for the Queen's youngest son Edward.  Makes me wonder why they gave him that name the Queen hated her Uncle Edward, why name her kid after him unless she didn't' want him.

She didn't exactly hate him - he'd been her charming favorite uncle when she was a child after all.  But I think the main thing is that she did not think of him as "Edward".   He was "Uncle David" to her.

1 hour ago, Exposedknees said:

QE2 called King Ed- "Uncle Dickie"- I doubt "Edward" had a negative connotation

Wasn't he known as David? I think Dickie was Lord Mountbatten.......

(I could be wrong) 

Just now, JenniferJuniper said:

She didn't exactly hate him - he'd been her charming favorite uncle when she was a child after all.  But I think the main thing is that she did not think of him as "Edward".   He was "Uncle David" to her.

I think the hatred was more from The Queen Mother then the Queen herself. Also, she has a cousin, Prince Edward the Duke of Kent. I don't know if they were particularly close but Edward remains as a much used name in the Royal Family. 

Just now, CoveredInBees said:

(I could be wrong) 

I think you're right CIB, I know he wasn't "Edward" though- they called her Dad "Bertie"

2 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

(I could be wrong) 

Yes Edward was David and known as such to the family. It was the Queen Mother who couldn't stand Edward and Wallis, not so much the Queen.

Dickie was Mountbatten who Philip took his name from when he got engaged to Elizabeth (Greek name a massive no no) 

16 minutes ago, SuffolkNWhat said:

Dickie was Mountbatten who Philip took his name from when he got engaged to Elizabeth (Greek name a massive no no) 

Dickie was Louis Mountbatten, he was also Philip's uncle. He took the name Mountbatten because that's the name of his grandparents who raised him for the most part. Prince Louis of Battenburg later the Marquess of Milford Haven (when George V got rid of German titles and names making them Mountbatten) and Princess Victoria of Hesse and by the Rhine were Dickie's parents and Philip's grandparents. 

ETA: Victoria was the daughter of Princess Alice, Queen Victoria's daughter. Which is why Phillip's mother was Alice. :P 

4 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Since names are one of my favourite things, I want to elaborate on what @lokaste said. I am from Denmark, and cannot speak for the rest Scandinavia. 

"Normal" names of school kids (born in year 2002-2012) that would not reveal your class or raise an eyebrow: Sofie, Ida, Marie, Freja, Nanna, Jonas, Jacob, Laurits, Peter, Frederik. 

Names for school starters that come off as lower class: Isabella, Victoria, Malou, Natascha, Stephanie, Oliver, Liam, Noah, Daniel, Romeo. 

"Normal" names for people my age (mid 20s) that doesn't give away your class: Katrine, Maria, Sara, Astrid, Caroline, Simon, Rasmus, Søren, Christian, Andreas. 

Names for people my age (mid 20s) that come off as lower class: Melissa, Michelle, Melanie, Karina, Heidi, Mike, Kevin, Patrick, Dennis, Ronnie. 

I get the Isabella, Natascha thing, but...Victoria? Daniel? Those are very classic names were I come from.

And its funny because here Astrid is as tacky as it gets. 

6 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Well, I googled it and I'm seeing a lot of people saying that it's easier to tell with boys (makes sense) and that they found out they were having a boy at their 12 week ultrasound. I'm kind of skeptical, but maybe she actually found out around 12 weeks and felt confident enough to announce the sex. If that's true... she might not be due till the end of the month. :pb_eek:

At my 12 week u/s the tech said, "do you want to know the sex? Because it's a boy." I dont really put stock in the "angle of the dangle" theory but  it did turn out that she was correct. 50/50 chance and all that. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived