IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Attending Conferences and Getting Pregnant

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, VineHeart137 said:

When I conceived my daughter I was positive of the date that my husband and I "did the dance" that created her (we were not trying and there was only one day during which we didn't use protection. It only takes one time, kids!) My doctor's office still wanted to use the date of my LMP even though I knew it would put my due date off since my cycles have always been longer than the standard 28 days. Went in when I was supposed to be 8 weeks for an ultrasound, baby was measuring 7 weeks (and my doctor had me come back in a week to make sure baby was growing which of course freaked me out even though I was already expecting the LMP due date calculation to be off). Thankfully she was growing perfectly, so my doctor adjusted my due date. So my calculated first day of pregnancy was a date 2 weeks before conception that didn't coincide with my period at all. Science is weird, y'all. 

I also didn't get "two free weeks" since my kid didn't make her appearance until 41 weeks. She's perfect though so it's ok. :)

Calculators can be re-set with the right amount of cycle days, so 28 is standard but they can be changed to 31/33/ or the other way around like 27. Your doctor should've done that because it changes the due date accordingly. 

1 hour ago, JesSky03 said:

I assume doctors also use the gestational age when calculating the measurements of a fetus on ultrasound too. Like when I had mine done at 6+5 weeks baby would have technically only been 4+5 by fetal age but ultrasound measured baby as exactly 6+5. I'm not sure if they still do that if you don't know your LMP? Or are those dates purely based on fetal age? 

Also, regarding Jill and her dates, she likely did not have a first trimester ultrasound when the dating is most accurate (usually between 8-12 weeks). After that the dating gets less accurate because babies are of course all individuals and grow (rapidly) at different rates.

From what I know, but aren't sure of, is that baby's length corresponds with a certain amount of weeks+days. And yes that includes the two weeks "for free". So head to toes, femur length and head size are three points to measure and the average of the three should give you your due date. Which is why 8 week and 12 week scans are more accurate: they're easier to measure and baby size differences are minimal at that point. 

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not watch the video, but I believe Michelle is upset that she is not pregnant. She is not the center of attention and is upset about it.

I was shocked but not surprised. My husband and I had been married 4 years before we found out we were pregnant. We married at 22 and 23 and were both scared to death about the pregnancy. Funny story, after Baby Boy and I were discharged, he slept like 5 hours after we got home and Hubs and I were sure something had happened to him. I think he was just worn out and tired. 

My children are 34 and 29. Neither have children. My daughter was told by her doctor not to get pregnant because of medical issues. I do have a grandkitten though! 

I saw this news on another website yesterday. I saw shocked not shocked about it. Then, I saw a screengrab of their announcement video, and saw her bump. Scrolled down to the comments, and saw a few "didn't they move their wedding date up" comments, and my imagination took off. I'm now living in my alternate Duggar universe, where logic does not exist (because it's no fun).

Since I'm in my alternate Duggar universe, where there is no place for logic, there are only two options. She is either having multiples, or my favorite theory, is that she is going to have an 8+ pound "preemie".

22 minutes ago, wandering woman said:

I realize that Alyssa Webster got pregnant at nineteen. However, she moved to Florida with her husband, started wearing shorts and pants, and has made public statements that she will be limiting the size of her family to six children.  Joy is a completely different type of person. She will follow the fundie lifestyle full force and continue to live near her parents.

To be fair in the same episodes where she was pregnant Alyssa said she wanted ten kids and would see about the rest. She lowered the number after Allie was born. 

Maybe there's a hope Joy will change her mind about wanting 20 kids once she pops the first one out as well although I'm aware the chance is slim.

10 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Anyone know how they count it if a woman hasn't been having periods? I'm assuming that if a woman gets pregnant after not having a period for a year then she won't be considered to be 52 weeks pregnant!

I hadn't had a period for about 7 months when I started experiencing signs of pregnancy. I wasn't given a definitive due date until my 19 week ultrasound. It made for a very interesting start to my pregnancy LOL 

My son was born 5 weeks ahead of that due date with no indications of early labor prior to hard and fast contractions in the middle of the night. From the first contraction until birth was about 7 hours. Son was 5 pounds 5 ounces. The OB decided afterwards that he was probably only 3 weeks early and that the situation was typical of women who don't experience regular periods. 

16 minutes ago, Penny said:

I do have a grandkitten though! 

I have two grandkitties, and my daughter says that's all I'm getting. lol

37 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

I think Mullet's green shirt is one of those things that "Jim Bob LOVES this shirt on me!!" She absolutely dresses for him. 

So she'll wear it till it falls off. That's my only explanation. 

please tell me that you didn't watch that you tube video where she details all the reasons she loves and actually mentioned that likes her in green. 

Can I send you a brownie if you did ?

1 hour ago, Tangy Bee said:

Wait...? Why did I get a -8?? I'm certain this was not the worse thing said. Could someone tell me what I said wrong? 

Maybe by asking if this is a Christmas baby, it seems that you are implying Joy and Austin had sex before marriage without any proof besides the size of her bump. I think that Joy absolutely believes in and followed her courtship and engagement rules and by implying that she didn't, you're implying that she's a hypocrite. Maybe you just meant to be snarky! 

2 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

When I get married, I am going to be getting a temporary pill to suppress my period because i don't want to deal with that on my wedding day. 

(I don't respond well to taking hormonal contraception, but my doctor has told me there is a pill that can be taken just for a couple of weeks to suppress a period without having the ongoing side effects). 

I used the medication a few years ago because I had major surgery scheduled and, with my irregular periods, I didn't know if I would be on my period or not. 

Another benefit of modern medicine ;)

9 hours ago, nomoxian said:

Ever try chocolate cereal with chocolate milk? Mmmmm!

This is my husband's breakfast every Friday.  Chocolate milk day!  hahaha.  He looks forward to it all week. 

9 hours ago, calimojo said:

And, it has been a few years since I worked OB, but Joy looks further along than 13-15 weeks.  Yes, there is a lot of variation in how women carry babies, and that is a significant bump.  There is something in the shape of her belly that just looks well beyond  13-15 weeks.

She does look big. And yes, variation happens, but. I do seriously wonder if it's multiples. Better that than a molar pregnancy, which wouldn't necessarily be caught with their cavalier approach to obstetrical medicine.

4 hours ago, Jug Band Baby said:

She's not eating hot dogs that are cold, sushi, honey, wheat, peanuts, no more sandwiches with cold lunch meat, no more eating even left-over chicken that hasn't been thoroughly re-heated (which overcooks it).  (...)Her husband's not so happy about this since it's impacting his life too (he can't have any of those foods either since she's convinced she'll kill the baby just having peanut butter in the house).  (...)  No problems in a pregnancy?  Amniocentesis because the doctor says all pregnant women should have them!  It's like the doctor is planning to buy a Rolls Royce and is planning to have her insurance pay for it.

Yeesh. That doctor sounds like he's just money grubbing and unethical to boot. Amniocentesis has risks, dammit, it's invasive. Also, that poor woman. Is the doctor also behind the food restrictions?

31 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Does anybody have urls to the skirt covering or other Nike yelling?  I know it happened, but I just want to see it for myself.  Thanks

No URLs, but the covering happened second season, I believe? I just remember the cameraman asking Grandma about it and she gave him a look like he had two heads when he seemed to suggest that it wasn't normal.

I know we've mostly moved past it, but I know my doctors offered three ultrasounds "standard": one around eight weeks to check for heartbeat, position, and dates; one optional at eleven or so weeks for Down syndrome and spina bifida; and one at around twenty weeks for anatomy and growth. In the US here.

1 hour ago, scoutsadie said:

This is what stands out the most for me, too. As a fundy young woman, she was actively discouraged from understanding her body and what feels good and doesn't. And then she's expected to be "joyfully available" at any time for sex with this childhood pal (in addition to all of the adult responsibilities she suddenly took on when she moved out of her parents' house)... and now her body and mind will go through extreme changes over a relatively short period of time, resulting in one of the most daunting responsibilities in the world... to me, it sounds like a horrible foundation for a marriage and young adulthood.

I'm so glad that my transition from young teenager living at home to sexually active adult woman living out of home took place gradually and step-by-step over several years, not three months. And I'm 31 in 2 weeks and am still not getting married for another year and a bit.

Some changes were hard to adjust to at first, and I can't even imagine having EVERYTHING - kissing, being alone with a guy, having sex, living out of home, being in a relationship - thrown at me all at once. 

35 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I have two grandkitties, and my daughter says that's all I'm getting. lol

We have two sons, neither of which are married.  My oldest (23) has a girlfriend, and no intentions of marriage any time soon.  They have given me two grand bunnies, Houdini and Sherlock and two grand kitties, Cheddar and Kali.  I am ecstatic about their plans to finish school and travel before anything more. 

My youngest son (11) claims that he will not get married or have kids.  He recently told me, and I quote, "Mom, when I get older I'm going to have pets and NOT people.  People are WAAAAYYYYY more complicated!"

I am both astounded by and proud of his wisdom.

This thread drift has been really helpful for me. We're in the nebulous due date zone, know the latest potential conception date because I moved, but found out in a non missed period way. My aunt was quite appalled by this last night, got in a twist that I wasn't telling her my real due date (which would be a vague guess).  My cousin was sweet? She was relieved I'm pregnant, because I look like her friend who takes a lot of drugs. So clearly I'm not glowing (yet- I mutter to myself hopefully).

All of us were on the shorter time frame of gestation, his side a bit mixed (his brother was a micro preemie). Part of this confusion is due to a disastrous first OB/GYN appointment. I haven't had one with a new doctor out here yet, but was told once ultrasounds are in play we can narrow the window down from "sometime around Easter."

So again, thank you, this has been really informative and given me terms to research!

1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

I think Mullet's green shirt is one of those things that "Jim Bob LOVES this shirt on me!!" She absolutely dresses for him. 

So she'll wear it till it falls off. That's my only explanation. 

IT's a different shirt from the usual one though, still green! I think half her closet is likely green button up shirts.

4 minutes ago, karen77 said:

IT's a different shirt from the usual one though, still green! I think half her closet is likely green button up shirts.

Yes, this shirt had an imprinted pattern...the buttons are good access for easy breast feeding. I guess some habits are hard to break.

I'm sad I missed the derail last night. As a scientist, I have a lot of feelings about science and how it is used to describe things.

The thing is, science is an endeavor that people (who are messy and fallible and subject to societal biases) use to describe the natural world. The natural world is always going to be the way it is, but how we describe it may not be perfect and/or may change over time. Pregnancy is what it is. Women have periods, they ovulate, sperm happens, a baby is conceived. But as evidenced by this thread, there are plenty of ways to describe this process. Should you go by LMP because many women don't know when they've ovulated and it's tradition? Should you go by conception because technology has advanced further to detect gestational age more accurately? There is no one-size-fits-all answer. Nature is complicated and the systems we as humans use to describe it are not perfect.

My point is, you can be pro-science, believe in the human endeavor to describe the natural world, understand pregnancy conventions, and still think it's silly that someone "becomes pregnant" before they've ever had sex.

I wish we as a society could have more nuanced discussions about the imperfection of science, but any hint that science is messy just leads people to ignore it as wrong or elitist. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

I didn't have a period for four months before getting pregnant because I'd been skipping the placebo week in my birth control pills. I got pregnant the first month off the pill so the dating ultrasound was used to calculate my due date. It put my LMP as the first day that I stopped taking the pills. My due date changed a few times in my early ultrasounds, and they finally settled on a due date that I'm pretty sure was 3 days too early.

I have a pretty ugly plaid shirt that I wear all the time that I might need to throw out because it's probably my "Michele's lime green shirt." It's hella comfy though.

16 minutes ago, Lovebug said:

My youngest son (11) claims that he will not get married or have kids.  He recently told me, and I quote, "Mom, when I get older I'm going to have pets and NOT people.  People are WAAAAYYYYY more complicated!"

I am both astounded by and proud of his wisdom.

You have a very wise 11 year old.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived