IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Attending Conferences and Getting Pregnant

Coconut Flan

5 hours ago, calimojo said:

Good post Sing, the only thing I am not sure about is the description of Jinger as being self-loathing.  Insecure, absolutely, but not sure about self-loathing.  All of the kids have been instilled with the idea of being awful sinners who were saved by grace.   I think the fact that Jinger pushed limits on courting rules, and quickly abandoned the 'dress code' as well as the breeding code, shows that she is involved in making decisions for her own happiness.  I don't think she is as full of self-loathing and convinced she was an undeserving sinner, not worthy to be a dirty rag at the foot of the Lord, as we may have once believed.

Great point! Self-loathing was probably too harsh a word. I was thinking of her tearful claims that she's 'so unworthy' etc. Maybe less self-loathing than deep insecurity and a great deal of rejection anxiety...

I think the guardrails that Jeremy uses are more like a 4 lane freeway, but still all going in the same direction, or course.  There is more flexibility to move between the lanes, be it in dress, be it in family planning, involvement in some contemporary culture, or maybe even a modest sip of wine here or there.  The guardrails don't make room for anything but straight culture of course, but perhaps they have more empathy for poverty and cultural difference given that Laredo is city with lots of immigrants and not a generally wealthy  community.

I think this is an absolutely fantastic description of the differences between fundamentalism and fundie-lite/conservative evangelical Christianity. Of course, the line is often blurred and there's always going to be debate about what constitutes fundie vs. fundie-lite vs. conservative Christianity.

I think the way Josh has physically let himself go, his overcompensating arrogance and his self-destructive choices seem more to reflect deeply rooted self-loathing.  Not that he is conscious of it, but it seems possible that this could at the root or part of the root of a lot of his issues. ( I also thing subliminal anger at his parents plays a role) He has never seemed like a truly happy person.  Self indulgent, full of himself, Selfish, and undeservedly self-righteous, yes, but not ever really happy.  He always seemed to be going through the motions to me, even during his wedding, and during the birth of his kids.

I completely agree. This totally sums up my opinion of Josh as well. And the difference between him and Jinger is glaring - Jinger knows she's insecure and wears it on her sleeve, whereas Josh lived in complete denial and tried hard to project an image to the world that did not reflect his inner state. 

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/18/2017 at 11:00 AM, Chewing Gum said:

They should attent a KamaSutra conference then :my_angel: .

edited: yay! My profile picture is finally up. Took me long enough. Bonuspoints for anyone that can spot the fundie reference from this scene:my_biggrin:.

15 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

It's the scene where Voldemort says "I can touch you now"...last time I saw the movie I instantly went to the Duggars in my mind, not being able to touch until marriage. So marriage equals being in a graveyard with Voldemort :). 

Ugh damn, you beat me to it!! I instantly knew!!

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:34 PM, metheglyn said:

It's an interesting position for them though. Austin's all lounged out while Joy's perched on him *almost* primly, and yet... Definitely a different kind of touching than usually happens on the show (other than JB and M). They definitely appear more physically comfortable with each other than some of the others. At least, more physically comfortable in public.

Given that she has seen images that cannot be unseen happening between her parents (thinking of the dry humping golf scene) she probably thinks it is absolutely normal for married couples to do everything that they can (with clothes on ) in public and it's fine. 

6 minutes ago, MoonFace said:

Given that she has seen images that cannot be unseen happening between her parents (thinking of the dry humping golf scene) she probably thinks it is absolutely normal for married couples to do everything that they can (with clothes on ) in public and it's fine. 

That was my thought exactly. It was shocking not because it was inappropriate but seemed inconsistent with their modesty/purity rules. Like Michelle's knees had to be blurred out, but humping your wife on the mini golf course is totally fine. Sitting on your husbands lap/legs isn't wrong it's just weird considering what they think is inappropriate and their need to protect men from unrighteous thoughts. It's hard to keep track of the logic.

Ugh. They're at the Arkansas Young Republican State Convention today. I hope Austin doesn't have political goals like his brother-in-law did.

@SunnySideUp I read on one of those "5 things about Joy's boyfriend" articles back when they started courting that he ran for some kind of office ( don't remember which one, you guys in the us have so many) but lost

@SunnySideUp and @VBOY9977, I wouldn't be surprised if Austin does have some political ambitions, since he doesn't seem to want to be a preacher (or at least I haven't heard anything about it.) I have a hard time believing JIm Bob would sell marry his daughter off to an average Joe. Derick was a missionary (or at least he played one on T.V., Ben talked about wanting to be a pastor (and was even took some classes) and Jeremy has a church. I'm guessing in the infamous  "Court My Daughter" application form, there's a place for future goals, and applicants who don't want to be a minster or politician (also acceptable, since Jim Bob held political office, and a great desire of Fundies seems to be turn America into a Theocracy) are told that Jim Bob prayed on it and God said, "No."

So, Austin posted a pic of he and Joy on motorcycles and she, of course, is wearing a dress. The comments are all about her dress. "Dresses are dangerous!" "Leave her alone, boohoo!" One of the ones that cracked me up was "where did you get that dress I've been wanting one" I would have supposed Joy might have bought her dress in a store. That's where most people get theirs. The tshirt under the sundress looks silly, but whatever floats her boat.  I am in the wear whatever is appropriate for the occasion camp, and motor biking is better while wearing pants. 

I just like that she wore the dress to the convention and then went dirt biking in the same outfit. I can just imagine whatever sister bought her the dress just shaking her head and going "Oh, that's so like Joy, y'all." 

I love that she's riding a dirt bike in a sun dress, that is just so, give no fucks what all y'all think, I'm having fun. It just seems so carefree and crazy.  It is good that they are getting to enjoy themselves for a while. Hopefully she will follow Jinger and delay getting pregnant. 

3 hours ago, Markie said:

So, Austin posted a pic of he and Joy on motorcycles and she, of course, is wearing a dress. The comments are all about her dress. "Dresses are dangerous!" "Leave her alone, boohoo!" One of the ones that cracked me up was "where did you get that dress I've been wanting one" I would have supposed Joy might have bought her dress in a store. That's where most people get theirs. The tshirt under the sundress looks silly, but whatever floats her boat.  I am in the wear whatever is appropriate for the occasion camp, and motor biking is better while wearing pants. 

I don't think it's a t shirt under a sundress, just a modest designed dress with contrasting sleeves. I look at a lot of specific modest type clothing websites (I have a bigger chest and appreciate the extra coverage) and there seems to be this weird trend lately with contrasting sleeve patterns?

I wouldn't usually comment on something little like this, but I really dislike contrasting patterns and find it frustrating that it seems to be so trendy in those clothes. 

9 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Ugh damn, you beat me to it!! I instantly knew!!

I wouldn't expect anything less from you, given your username :)

44 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I love that she's riding a dirt bike in a sun dress, that is just so, give no fucks what all y'all think, I'm having fun. It just seems so carefree and crazy.  It is good that they are getting to enjoy themselves for a while. Hopefully she will follow Jinger and delay getting pregnant. 

I like the give-no-fucks, but I also don't want her to die, which seems likely to happen if you wear a dress while motorbiking. Way too likely to get caught in the spokes and/or wheels and before you know it you're dead and there's NSFL footage on liveleak of you in the process of said death.

Tshirts under tanks/cami's is actually coming back into style. Was at the mall the other day and they were everywhere, along with bodysuits and *gasp* stirrup pants! Hello 1989!

Which made me sad in a way because my mom was notorious for not updating her wardrobe. When she passed last year her closet was full of the stuff I'm just now seeing in displays for JCPenney, Macy's, Rue 21, etc. We donated it all but now I'm kinda shaking my head in disbelief. 

5 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Tshirts under tanks/cami's is actually coming back into style. Was at the mall the other day and they were everywhere, along with bodysuits and *gasp* stirrup pants! Hello 1989!

I'm 62 and have definitely seen that when it comes to clothing styles, everything old is new again. Hold on to a garment long enough and it will com back in style.

That said, I have always ignored trends that were uncomfortable or unflattering. Tee shirts under sleeveless garments is a look I hate, but I guess I understand it if it is a spaghetti strap tank and you don't want visible bra straps. I would just wear a shrug instead, but I don't buy spaghetti straps so not an issue for me.

Stirrup pants suck, when that strap works its way from under your foot and the pants start riding up, ugh. 

@SunnySideUp @Audrey2

Joy also interned at the Arkansas state Congress I believe. It seems like she may have some political ambitions of her own, though she probably has to channel them through her husband and be the perfect Christian political spouse. But given her stronger personality, I wouldn't be surprised if she were directing things behind the scenes to some degree. Joy does not come off like a shrinking violet.

I'm not saying this as a criticism at all, but I'm not sure Austin could make it as a politician. He seems to have all the charisma of a cardboard box. I feel the same way about Ben Seewald and his aspirations to go into ministry. Austin strikes me as a hard worker, dedicated, patient and honest in his dealings, and I think flipping houses, renovating, working at the Family Camp, etc. would bring him a lot of success. Politics, not so much. And of course the last thing the world needs right now is another poorly educated Christian fundamentalist getting into government.

4 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Austin strikes me as a hard worker, dedicated, patient and honest in his dealings, and I think flipping houses, renovating, working at the Family Camp, etc. would bring him a lot of success

I feel really bad, but all I can think of is "a handsome sturdy husband to build handsome sturdy walls, and never dreams that something might be coming..."

47 minutes ago, lomo6 said:

@SunnySideUp @Audrey2

Joy also interned at the Arkansas state Congress I believe. 

Joy was there for a day, I believe. Not a full internship. 

4 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Joy was there for a day, I believe. Not a full internship. 

How very Duggar, then. 

Even so, it's probably the most interest any Duggar girl has shown for things outside the traditional feminine sphere (i.e. childbirth/midwifery for Jill and fashion/photography for Jinger). 

7 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Tshirts under tanks/cami's is actually coming back into style. Was at the mall the other day and they were everywhere, 

Actually it isn't a T-shirt under a dress, it is the dress.  My daughter has this same dress.

20 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Actually it isn't a T-shirt under a dress, it is the dress.  My daughter has this same dress.

She probably is refering to this style, that is becoming worringly popular

Spoiler

zara.jpg

My daughter does this as well. She's 17 her friends do it too. i was referring to the dress Joy has on in the photo on Insta, it is the same dress my daughter has, exactly, same pattern and it isn't a t shirt under spaghetti straps it is one piece. 

2 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Tee shirts under sleeveless garments is a look I hate, but I guess I understand it if it is a spaghetti strap tank and you don't want visible bra straps. I would just wear a shrug instead, but I don't buy spaghetti straps so not an issue for me.

I never understood shorts over lycra pants or bike shorts.   If the pants are too tight and shows more than you want to show then wear something else.   

29 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

She probably is refering to this style, that is becoming worringly popular

Hide contents

zara.jpg

This looks like a lace nightie with a t-shirt under it. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived