IGNORED

"Christians" stiff Buffalo Wild Wings waitress

47of74

Did they not tip because she was gay? How did they know that? Or was it the tatoo? They were probably not going to tip, whoever served them. Pathetic, and what a way to teach your kids.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I'm saying it's none of your damn business. I know when I was working for tips, by the end of the week the cash would be long gone. At the end of the year, I'd guess roughly how much and go from there. 

And, if you REALLY want to talk about "tax fraud"...why aren't you all up in arms about the real tax fraud? Who the hell cares if a waiter/waitress makes their lives easier when you have your lovely corporations and fucking president doing that shit for years and really fucking the american public? Get your fucking priorities straight....got it? 

I'm not american and my country doesn't have a president.

3 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

I'm not american and my country doesn't have a president.

then what the hell do you even give a shit about "tax fraud" in the USA? 

I think in Australia, waitstaff are paid a proper living wage. In the US, in most states, they are not even paid anything like minimum wage, which is in itself not enough to live on. Have a bad night, with a few customers like these - and yes, I can understand not declaring all your tips. You're barely treading water financially, and live in a culture which has made a religion out of tax avoidance for the rich (a la tRump and his comment that only stupid people pay taxes....), then it's a super honest person that declares every single cent. And since they can't afford tax accountants, they probably often have deductibles they are not claiming. May even be paying a higher percentage of income than those earning 100 times their salary.

The rich have 'tax avoidance', the poor have 'tax fraud'. Both are forms of tax evasion, even if one is legal.

So -no, I don't 'encourage' it - but I sure as shit understand.

On 8/10/2017 at 10:14 PM, feministxtian said:

When we go out to eat, we're tippers...even if the service sucked it's at least 10%. Fortunately (or further proof of geekiness) I can compute percentages in my head...so I just tell hubs how much to tip. Hell, I tip for my pedicures...if you're going to deal with my ugly-ass feet...ya know? 

I once freaked out and felt like a total asshole because the way I mentally calculate 20% tip is by doing 10% and doubling that, and one time I completely zoned out and just wrote the 10% number on the tip line before going to the second step where I doubled. I had enough time to correct my mistake, but I felt like such a dick.

On 11/8/2017 at 4:14 AM, feministxtian said:

Current tipped wage for waitstaff is 2.30/hr. Management is supposed to adjust your wages to make at least minimum wage per hour but they never do it.

*mind blown...so little? :pb_eek:

Here employer is expected to pay staff fairly, tipping is not expected nor it is common.

3 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Here employer is expected to pay staff fairly, tipping is not expected nor it is common.

Yeah, and I think it's a crock.  Tips should be a reward for a job well done and not enabling employers to abrogate their responsibility to pay fair wages to their employees.

4 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

tipping is restaurants is pretty much ingrained here.  a couple years ago, a national chain (i can't remember which one) attempted to revamp their compensation system by eliminating tips while raising menu prices and servers' hourly wages.  the project ultimately failed and they reinstated the tipping system.  my personal opinion is to eliminate tipping completely and go with a straight wage.  

ETA:  i've never worked in any restaurant, but as a customer i routinely tip at least 20%.

a quick google search indicates that the current federal min wage is $7.25 for non-tipped workers, and $2.13 for tipped workers; if the tipped worker's weekly earnings are below the minimum wage equivalent, the employer is required to augment them to $7.25/hr.  New York State's min is $9.70 for non-tipped and $7.75 for tipped; this does not include the five boroughs of NY City, which are higher, but i didn't write them down (NYC has a significantly higher cost of living than Upstate NY).

I waited tables for a long time and I never had an employer make up the difference if I didn't make minimum wage. We were also told that the IRS assumes that the server has made 15% of food sales (pre-tax) as tips, so if I sold $1000 in food, that's $150. That number is what I would declare. I also had to tip out the bartender, the busser, and in some places, the hostess so a percentage my sales was calculated for that, say 5% of total sales, and was distributed to the others. I was paid $2.13 an hour in every place except one where I made $2.50.

So if your check is $100 and you didn't tip me, not only did I not make any money, I actually lost $5 because I still had to tip out. I actually paid for the privilege of being treated like crap. :pb_rollseyes:

We stayed in a hotel recently, felt bad, we ended up packing up the car and checking out earlier than planned and I forgot to leave a tip for housekeeping the last day. (even had ones saved up in my wallet).  Didn't think of it until we were on the road home.

We both have worked in the restaurant industry, and tip well. It's a thankless job most of the time.  We also like to clean up or table and have everything ready for the server to clear away.

PS, if you ever stay at Disney, a fun thing to do is decorate envelopes to leave for 'Mousekeeping".  My adult son and I did this last time we stayed there.  I drew on the envelopes, he painted them in.  With little ones you can use stickers or have them do artwork.

Tipping housekeeping is so uncommon now that I've had motels call to tell me I'd left cash in my room.
I tip in cash. Always in cash. My husband is a US tax lawyer, and people who can afford a tax lawyer have loopholes in the tax code you can drive a truck through, so they get tax breaks. They get tax breaks you seriously would not believe. Millionaires, paying almost no income tax.
For example, inn the US, if you work hard and make $30k in a year, you're taxed at a HIGHER RATE than someone who got $30k in dividends or dispersed from a trust fund.
You bet your ASS I tip in cash. So does my husband. 20%, minimum. 40% if the bill is under $30 because service workers are screwed SO HARD in this country.

@Bea as the mother of a child that busts his ass waiting tables I just want to say that you're wonderful! Thank you for always being kind to your wait staff!

Wow! When I saw those sums for servers in the US I had to check what you get here in Sweden. A person over 20 getting the minimum agreed in the collective agreement with the union (which is usually followed even if a company does not have a union agreement) gets just under 16 dollars before tax. Tipping is only done as a bonus here though. 

When I used to deliver pizza, I always declared all my tips at the end of the night. Partly because I try to follow laws, partly because I wanted to have some money in Social Security, if it still exists in when I'm 70. Pizza delivery tips really just covered extra gas and oil changes, though. It was important, but it wasn't the same thing as a server who doesn't get paid at least minimum wage. 

One social change I'd love to see in my lifetime would be the end of such low wages for food servers. Tipping really ought to be a bonus, not a way of subsidizing unfair wages.

5 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

One social change I'd love to see in my lifetime would be the end of such low wages for food servers. Tipping really ought to be a bonus, not a way of subsidizing unfair wages.

Totally agree with this.

My city has a very small number of no-tipping restaurants where servers are paid a higher hourly wage, menu items are a little more expensive, and guests are asked not to tip. It's early enough in this experiment that we don't know how it will work out in this area. It's definitely out of the usual for here and for now.

My cousin spent his twenties waiting tables at a hot Chicago restaurant to work his way through school.  Not surprisingly, the most famous customers were usually the worst tippers.  The staff used to refer to a Chicago Bulls legend as "No-Tippin' Pippin."  There was also the time that a customer who was treating his table to multiple rounds of drinks tried to act buddy-buddy with my cousin.  When it came up that my cousin was Jewish, the customer proceeded to treat him like crap for the rest of the night.  He gave my cousin a $7 tip on a bill that was over $200.

Another friend told me about how Christian customers used to leave tracts instead of tips.  She wanted to chase them down and say, "Thanks for being concerned for my soul, but this tract isn't going to pay my rent."

The thing that I find most offensive about the low wages paid to waitstaff is that it is making a fair wage optional. You can put in a full shift, work well and hard, and still be reliant on 'the kindness of strangers' to pay your bills.

And if you have too many like those whose behaviour sparked this thread, then you are shit out of luck. It's just wrong.

The whole tipping thing is why I, for my whole vacation in the US, only ate out once. Handing over a 20% tip at the end of the already 120$ bill for 2 people (which I did, because when in Rome...) felt like I was getting robbed even though  I liked the server a lot. I think that if you can't afford to pay your people a living wage, you should be shut down, or detract from your own wage in the short term. My opinion is rather irrelevant, but I wonder why no-one in the US is trying to fix this problem. It seems like it's a pretty systematic problem.

Where I'm from, the highest tip I've ever given was €12,50 because the server rushed us through because we had to be somewhere quickly. She at first didn't even want to take it because it was too much (not just being polite she actually refused it) but I explained how much she'd helped us and she finally accepted it.

I personally wish the tipping system in the US would be replaced with adequate hourly wages independent of tips.

Unfortunately, for now, the tipping system is what we have for most sit-down-have-food-brought restaurants.

I do think that people who (if it is indeed the case) cannot afford to tip should limit their eating out to fast food style places where tipping is not needed. :-(

6 minutes ago, apple1 said:

I personally wish the tipping system in the US would be replaced with adequate hourly wages independent of tips..... do think that people who (if it is indeed the case) cannot afford to tip should limit their eating out to fast food style places where tipping is not needed. :-(

Hi Apple1! I could afford it (I mean I'm not rich but I could've gone out twice or three times a week if I wanted) but... If I eat somewhere, where I pay €35+ a plate (or any price really), I expect that the restaurant has included a wage in that price-for the server,the cook, the accountant. If the restaurant is unable to compute a price that'll take care of all expenditures, the restaurant should not be operating. The drinks is a big way how restaurants make money too. And alcohol is pretty expensive in America, compared to where I'm from.

I think it's really strange that I have to pay the servers their wage on top and completely separate from the price I'm paying for the food. The server is not my employee, it is the restaurant's employee. The restaurant should take care of its workers and pay the server a wage. Why not throw up all prices for food 15-20%? People who can afford to tip 20% can afford to pay that percentage on the food more, and this way 1) the server doesn't get stiffed, 2) I'm not saddled with a bill that was higher than first expected and 3) the restaurant pays it's employees like any business should.

Sorry for the long answer. Short answer: I'm not putting money in a business model I can't support ethically!

@CreatedToBeACritic

I am not advocating what we currently have in most of the US! Until such time as it is different, however, it's what we have to live with. You may be able to avoid it since you just visited the US. If you live here - you either deal, eat "fast food", or grocery shop and eat at home 100% of the time. (I grew up with the latter; my mother would have loved a break from having to cook every single meal for most of her life!)

BTW - Part of the issue is the low profit percentage on food service in the US, as compared to almost all other types of businesses. (not defending, just saying).

Until things change - fair tipping is the best option we have. JMHO.

17 hours ago, GeoBQn said:

My cousin spent his twenties waiting tables at a hot Chicago restaurant to work his way through school.  Not surprisingly, the most famous customers were usually the worst tippers.  The staff used to refer to a Chicago Bulls legend as "No-Tippin' Pippin."  

When the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported Kevin Garnett who was playing for the Timberwolves at the time was a no tipper he called the editor and ripped them a new asshole but the paper stood by their reporting.  Even when I go to an all inclusive resort where tipping is included in their price I still tip anyway cuz who knows if the staff sees any of that money.

I waited tables wayyyyy back in the  late 1970's.  Such hard work.  The place I worked was smaller enough that  we did everything, from waiting tables, running the grill, bussing and doing the dishes, and cashier/hostess.  We also served ice cream  and so the hostest/cashier usually was also the person scooping up ice cream cones, sundaes, milkshakes, etc.  It was a hard job, plus  we had a manager who enjoyed groping his female employees.  We pooled our tips, so once a week we had to go in and get our envelope with our share of tips from the manager.  He would make us go to  his office, shut the door, and then turn off the lights and would make growling sounds etc, so that when you came out of his office, it would sound like you had been having a quickie with the boss.  He used to tell me that if he ever lost control around me that it would take me 2 days and 10 mirrors to find all the bite marks he would give me.  He told another server that the only reason he scheduled her early to open with him, is that she was fat and so he could trust himself to be alone with her.  The worst was when his wife and kids would come in to eat dinner, which they did a few nights a week.  He would grab at us and whisper stuff in our ears in the back kitchen, just as we would be carrying the food out to his family.  He no doubt got off and that little twist to his perversion.

We had lots of regular customers and they would definitely have favorite servers.  Often times they would leave a tip on the table that was intended for the shared Tip jar, but then they would find a way to hand you a few bucks separate to that.  I think many of the regulars knew what a nightmare the manager was and they felt sorry for us. 

For those of you who are a lot younger, you may be wondering why didn't someone do anything about the pervie, sexually harassing manager?  Well, all I can say is it was a different time.  I remember telling my mom about it, and she was a very outspoken feminist ( the bra burning kind), and her advice to me was to just laugh it off.  Don't let him know he is getting to you.  Which sounds terrible now, but I guess for the times, it may have been decent advice. 

Anyway, he eventually got fired, for, big surprise skimming profits.  So he was an asshole all the way around. 

Ever since that experience ( between the ages of 16-17 years old), I have been extremely sympathetic to food workers of any sort.  Whether they have a sexual harrassing boss, or a boss that is exploiting in some other way, I just always assume that the most food workers are underpaid,  underappreciated and likely being screwed over in someway, either in regards to their schedule or just in some general way.  Because of that I never tip less than 20%. 

I quit that job after a year and went to work at a drug store.  My boss was great, very respectful and fair.  It was such a contrast, because I after that first job, I just assumed that all bosses ( in that day most bosses were men) were going to be like that.  What a difference a few years makes, though because by the time I graduated from college, there had been several high profile sexual harassment cases, Human resource departments started developing policies on it, and formal reporting processes.  It wasn't perfect, but we definitely  knew that being subjected to continual harassment and intimidation was not acceptable and we had routes to pursue to report the events. 

Ah, yes, I remember the handsy customers at one of my first jobs, waitressing at a donut shop in 1980. I was 16 or so. I was a skinny, short girl who looked about 12 & some of the older guys who hung out there a lot would pinch my butt.

I thought I was so mature but looking at photos of me then, seeing how young I really looked, makes it seem even creepier. Don't remember much about the tips except thinking it was cool I got some $ right away instead of waiting til paychecks.

this reminds me of grocery shopping with my dad at age 18 & seeing his coworkers, who joked about me being his girlfriend. He would always correct them & it made me wonder about the secret, creepy thoughts men have!

On 8/19/2017 at 11:32 AM, calimojo said:

Ever since that experience ( between the ages of 16-17 years old), I have been extremely sympathetic to food workers of any sort.  Whether they have a sexual harrassing boss, or a boss that is exploiting in some other way, I just always assume that the most food workers are underpaid,  underappreciated and likely being screwed over in someway, either in regards to their schedule or just in some general way.  Because of that I never tip less than 20%. 

I started out in fast food and it was an eye opener with with regards to asshole bosses and some were just terrible in the way they took advantage, who had no qualms about setting up their own workers for their shenanigans.   One story: I still believe that one of them was skimming the registers and setting up other workers, me included, to take the fall for the registers being short.   At this place,workers would count in the register but could not count out at the end of their shift, the manager handled it.  All of a sudden there was a problem, coinciding with the arrival of a new manager, that registers were short.  They instituted a policy of if you were short 3 times, you were fired.   Suddenly I am told I have been short 3 times but they weren't going to fire me because they didn't warn me the first two times but I was "disciplined" by signing an acknowledgement that the registers were short and put on cleanup duties for two weeks.

I knew it was all BS but went along because I was leaving the job for college in a month anyway (though they didn't know it yet) and all I cared about was getting a few more paychecks in.   I found another job several months later after the first semester of college and worked a register for five years at that job.  Was never short and believe me the lady who did the books would tell you on no uncertain terms if you screwed up.  

So I tip 20% at all times, with two exceptions where I did not because of extremely poor service.  But they still got a tip.   It's also amazing how some appreciate a tip; some years ago we had one waiter who personally came back to thank us and I just got a big thank you from the pizza delivery guy who brought pizzas to my workplace.

Archived