IGNORED

Jinger 29: New House and New Wardrobe

Coconut Flan

@cascarones, anti-Catholicism has traditionally been a big aspect of Protestant fundamentalist identity in the US. It's been somewhat toned down since the 1960s, when white Protestant fundies decided that white Catholic fundies were less scary than LGBT people, secularists, feminists, and various dark-skinned others, but the anti-Catholicism, at least at a theological level, is always simmering below the surface. What I mean is that the Duggars and their ilk won't say that a Catholic should be automatically disqualified from being president because s/he would have the Vatican on speed dial, as they might have 60+ years ago, but they obviously believe that Catholics are doing Christianity wrong and spend their time and money trying to convert Catholics.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anti-papist sentiment was big as recently as the Kennedy campaign, and most older Catholics I know credit that administration with bringing about change. Kennedy and his family were very popular and that coupled with his tragic death helped to take the steam out of Catholic hate. A lot of people just felt they couldn't insult Kennedy like that, and because of the window Jackie provided them into their family life, felt that they really "knew" a Catholic family (which wasn't always commonplace at the time). I don't think it's an accident that we are seeing a rise now that the baby boomers are retiring and generations that never knew Kennedy are gaining more of a voice.

As for anti-papists now, they're all a bunch of little men with big mouths.  The Catholic Church is the second largest single landholder in the US behind only the government. We often share the load and assist the government in providing medical care, education, and social services to the populace, generally without or with limited regard for the religions of those we serve. No matter how much hate Jeremy spews, we would STILL provide him and his family with medical care and basic necessities. 

And you know why we started all that shit? Because anti-papist laws in this country often DENIED those services to Catholics unless they were willing to compromise their faith. So maybe think about that, Jeremy. Before you try to bury us again, best make sure we aren't seeds. Because we might just put down roots where you can't see them and undermine your whole foundation. 

13 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I think Jinger is now thinking that she is a little better than her family, hence the faces and the not really missing her siblings much.  Jinger's new brain is classier and less principled because it will sell out its faith for the money. IMO anyway.  

You worded this very well, I've been thinking this awhile and couldn't get it to come out right 

Long-time lurker, first time poster. The discussion about GCC (Grace Community Church), coupled with a new Instagram photo today of JinJer on the main campus with John MacArthur, Jr., is the impetus to take the (scary) step and wade into the discussion. It has been my belief all along that the ultimate goal is to move JinJer to the main campus (GCC Sun Valley, CA). This is the second photo of JinJer there (remember the jacket with the missing button?) Both Jeremy and père Vuolo are pastoring satellite churches from GCC, IIRC. I would not be surprised if Jeremy was studying online through The Master's Seminary, another offshoot of the church in Southern California. The teaching, not preaching, that is a hallmark of this church, emphasizes deep research into the scripture. It certainly is reflected in all the reading Jeremy seems to do as he prepares for sermons. I've seen other comments about the idea that Jeremy might be seeking to be another Joel Osteen or other television preacher. My money's on a move to the main campus, grooming him for leadership of sometime kind there. Okay, now I'm off to the prayer closet!

I am not a fan of MacArthur theology in a bunch of areas. But I would take him over Gothard any day of the week. If she and Jeremy go mainstream well Halefrickenlujah.

Agreed, Fluffy. I think it also supports the idea that Jinger is making her own clothing decisions, rather than Jeremy mandating them as her headship. It's not a doctrine I've seen in practice there or similar churches. Rather, there's just a common expectation of what is accepted to be appropriate dress, just like any other social group. I think Jinger is picking up the clues and getting advice from his family and their friends. And, she does seem to have a great sense of style!

Math queen.  I would imagine they like shopping with each other and for each other. They both seem to enjoy dressing nicely. They probably bounce likes and dislikes off each other all the time.

10 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

@DinglyDoll How depressing is that. Wonder if they're allowed to sing any cheerful hymns, or is it all "blood of jesus".

I had one pastor who wouldn't let anyone sing any hymn that mentioned the blood. That was a "seeker friendly" church. The hardcore evangelicals preach the dire message but call the services a celebration. So you are supposed to drum up all this joy each Sunday and sing and clap and raise your hands because you are so horrible and God predetermined to save you. The worship services range from seeming corny or contrived to cultic.

4 hours ago, Fluffy14 said:

I am not a fan of MacArthur theology in a bunch of areas. But I would take him over Gothard any day of the week. If she and Jeremy go mainstream well Halefrickenlujah.

Same, I went to GCC for years and hated it, but it's pretty vanilla in comparison to Gothard's brand of crazy, imo. Would be nice if JMac's followers weren't such brownnosers though. :eyeroll:

11 hours ago, immodest_countenance said:

I'm only slightly salty, I grew up in a GCC and converted later to catholicism. I know EXACTLY Jeremys brand of christianity, because it used to be mine. I will say, most of what they believe about catholics is increadibly misinformed or downright false. 

I'm appreciating your post as it describes my background (minus GCC) and feelings as well. I was pretty much done with reform theology and my parent's specific denomination when their pastor refused to marry my now husband and I because as a Catholic, he clearly couldn't have been a Christian. It came to a head in a multi-hour meeting in which the pastor lambasted H with the pastor's (completely inaccurate) take on Catholic theology. It didn't end well. 

@subsaharanafrica That sounds awful and I'm really sorry you and your husband had to go through that :( 

I don't have a word to say either way on GCC's prayer meeting, it was decided that going to a hospital (which her friend is really afraid of) was going to be a lot more helpful. Glad to say it all worked out!

I've been digging about now, trying to figure how many satellite GCC's there are, but they're curiously unlinked. Interestingly enough, Pastor Tim (GCC San Antonio) gave a sermon addressing if it's sinful for married couples to not have children in early July. Specifically addressing the Quiverfull verses, prioritizing the health of your wife if you're told to stop, birth control/family planning/the difference between abortive types of birth control and non abortive. I stopped listening around there,because  it was time to make lasagna!  

Jinger has her hot new husband

Jinger is discovering some of the enjoyment available in the secular, non frumpy, non thrift store world.

Jinger has a new house.

I doubt she is missing Jessa, or any of them too much 

I hope that J/J are making the decision for themselves when they will add to their family. EVERY child deserves to be wanted, planned and anticipated.

The Dillards could have certainly used additional time to get to know one another.

32 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

The Dillards could have certainly used additional time to get to know one another.

Yes they could have. The first thing I thought when Jill announcing she was expecting was "Derick is in for a rude awakening". Jill knew how to take care of a child and Derick did not. 

1 hour ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Jinger has her hot new husband

Jinger is discovering some of the enjoyment available in the secular, non frumpy, non thrift store world.

Jinger has a new house.

I doubt she is missing Jessa, or any of them too much 

Probably has new conservative church friends and a legitimate espresso machine. 

I never believed the Duggars when they went on and on and on about how the kids are all so close. I just don't see it. Being forced to spend all of your time with someone and actually enjoying their company are two different things. 

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I hope that J/J are making the decision for themselves when they will add to their family. EVERY child deserves to be wanted, planned and anticipated.

I think Jinger and Jeremy actually really like each other. Jill and Derick seemed like they wanted to be married. J/J have some natural chemistry, it's a damn shame they couldn't date for real and had to get married before exploring it (while thousands of people constantly hound them about starting a mega family). 

2 minutes ago, jacduggar said:

I never believed the Duggars when they went on and on and on about how the kids are all so close. I just don't see it. Being forced to spend all of your time with someone and actually enjoying their company are two different things. 

Growing up as the oldest of seven who lived in tight (not-quite Rodrigues-type, but close) quarters with my six younger siblings growing up, we were very close friends then. Some of it was because we traveled so much that we were around each other more than anyone else. Part of it was because my parents urged the "making brothers and sisters best friends" philosophy (which honestly, I have nothing to argue about, unless you use it to exclude having "outside" friends. Then it's a problem). II was very close with both of my brothers who were next in line below me, and considered my second younger brother (4 years younger) my best friend. didn't consider it a "forced" thing, just a natural outgrowth of the time we spent together. 

Sadly though, once we all started getting married and moving away, we quickly fell out of touch with each other. It's been a year and a half since I've even seen the brother who was once my best friend. And I pretty much only talk to my brothers at family events, and maybe a brief "how are you doing?" "I'm doing good, how about you?" text every few months. I think most of it is due to the fact that what made us close (time spent together) is no longer there, and the fact that we now have different interests, different "circles", and even different opinions on how we were raised. Doesn't mean that we weren't genuinely friends when we were younger, just means that we're (to borrow a Dugger phrase) in a different "season of life" now. lol

(On the other hand, though, my sister who was only "one of the littler kids" when I was married, is now 22 and has become my best friend!) :)

On 8/9/2017 at 1:12 PM, DinglyDoll said:

14. But once saved by faith in Jesus Christ…God’s people are no longer totally depraved, but possess the mind of Christ, the character of God, and a new heart characterized by purity…God’s people possess a new nature no longer incapable of good, but zealous for good works.

[Worked for Josh Duggar, Bill Gothard and his brother, Doug Phillips...]

They want everyone to eschew sin, get saved, and do good works...but if everyone was to get saved, what need would there be to do good works (since there would be no more "bad" works)? Am I missing something?  It seems like a contradiction.

Or are some people just born to sin and be damned to keep the saved employed?

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

They want everyone to eschew sin, get saved, and do good works...but if everyone was to get saved, what need would there be to do good works (since there would be no more "bad" works)? Am I missing something?  It seems like a contradiction.

Or are some people just born to sin and be damned to keep the saved employed?

Former Mormon so my scope of theology may be a bit skewed. 

My understanding is everyone sins, they aren't saving people from it, they are bringing people to the correct path of salvation. At least that was the LDS evangelistic view. Everyone is born a sinner, so as long as you are repenting the correct way (which apparently in Duggarland is not the catholic way), you're good. Hence why Josh can be forgiven but transgender strangers can't. 

If everyone is saved, that's when they get to party with the saints. Otherwise evangelize, evangelize, evangelize. 

Wow. Talk about old news! Coming up on Counting On: filler, recaps, and deja vu. Joy's wedding (which has already aired) is in the preview. Still pregnant Jill going back to Danger America when we know now that the Dullards have now quit their grifting ministry (still no further word about Samuels birth). More wedding planning, and teasing at parenthood for JinJer... They really need to get the timelines fixed on this show, or just take it off the air altogether, except perhaps the odd wedding/birth special. Even then, the redundancy is ridiculous.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived