IGNORED

Strange Religious Book Titles

Black Aliss

We've shared some really strange Christian music album covers. Now it's time to judge a few books by their covers. (hat tip to http://www.liberalamerica.org)

51TzcytXjKL.jpg2014-10-22_18-55-38.jpg

If there is still some doubt as to who is responsible for those extra pounds you're carrying:

2014-10-22_18-59-06-600x445.jpg

Thank Bastet Amazon no longer carries this title:

2014-10-22_19-16-21.jpg

This one sounds familiar. We must have discussed it here because it sure wouldn't have come up in any conversation I had in real life:

2014-10-28_21-30-41.jpg

And, my personal favorite, although if you have to ask that question. . .

2014-10-22_19-12-34.jpg

All these and more at http://www.liberalamerica.org/2014/10/28/27-bizarre-religious-book-titles-that-should-have-been-stopped/

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Does God Ever Speak Through Cats?'

As if cats would ever allow a supernatural force to speak for them! It's laughable!

The correct answer is - they ARE the supernatural force.

That is all.

Also now we know why Stevehovah only allows for two animal crackers and no Pepsi in Maxhell - he must have wallpapered his room with the pages of these books!

I wouldn't mind reading this one from that list. It looks funny, at least. ;)2014-10-28_22-23-19.jpg.f991acaa739bb923ba0f9ccb178a557f.jpg

In the last 18 hours I ate chocolate bars, drank a glass of wine, took the pill to prevent an arrow, and I ate vanilla ice-cream with cream for dessert, right after that huge delicious portion of pasta.  

And I do not have a cat, so if god spoke through cats, I'd have to read this one too.

It seems as if I have to update my summer book list. :brainfart:

Has anyone had a look at the Amazon reviews for 'Helping the retarded know God' haha or did some of you guys write them?  

The reviews for 'Does God ever speak through cats?" Are just as good. 

IMG_1384.PNG

IMG_1385.PNG

1 hour ago, Tjay said:

Has anyone had a look at the Amazon reviews for 'Helping the retarded know God' haha or did some of you guys write them?

I sincerely hope that FJers don't make fun of people with disabilities.

28 minutes ago, BlackSheep said:

IMG_3826.JPG.5f0aa410402e2b917fd86faaa2664c6f.JPG

My mother would've given this fool the what-for, & she had gone to Catholic elementary school, too (she did end up graduating from public school). What insanity. 

1 hour ago, BlackSheep said:

I sincerely hope that FJers don't make fun of people with disabilities.

Not speaking for the hive entirely, but what's there in the screenshot seems to be parody reviews. That or people being sarcastic and ironic. Which is understandable, as there is a book out there assuming that the intellectually disabled are not capable of being religious or being faithful to a God and that they need assistance, while also insulting them by calling them retarded (which, while I understand is a medical term, carries negative emotional weight).

I read them in this vein. I agree it would be disappointing if someone did feel otherwise but I haven't seen any proof of that so far.

7 hours ago, purjolok84 said:

As if cats would ever allow a supernatural force to speak for them! It's laughable!

Of course they wouldn't. Every cat knows that s/he is God! 

1 hour ago, purjolok84 said:

Not speaking for the hive entirely, but what's there in the screenshot seems to be parody reviews. That or people being sarcastic and ironic. Which is understandable, as there is a book out there assuming that the intellectually disabled are not capable of being religious or being faithful to a God and that they need assistance, while also insulting them by calling them retarded (which, while I understand is a medical term, carries negative emotional weight).

I read them in this vein. I agree it would be disappointing if someone did feel otherwise but I haven't seen any proof of that so far.

I hope you're right. 

Although even as a parody they are pretty despicable.  Can't understand why the poster seemed to find them funny.

I really want to know what the book is saying about Lori Alexander!
5978a23a475ff_LAchaptersheneeds.JPG.28e5c7564ea3194f4cfd6c58a87f8aac.JPG

2 hours ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

My mother would've given this fool the what-for, & she had gone to Catholic elementary school, too (she did end up graduating from public school). What insanity. 

When I saw the "3,000,000 in print," I decided to look into this W.V. Grant.  From minimal searching, there are two generations of these fools:

W.V. Grant - Senior

W.V. Grant - Junior

Interesting reading about the transition from old-timey tent revivalist (dad) to scamvangelist (son).  Junior runs Eagle's Nest Cathedral in Dallas, Texas, but his healing (stealing) touch extends worldwide, per his website. 

15 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

Junior runs Eagle's Nest Cathedral in Dallas, Texas, but his healing (stealing) touch extends worldwide, per his website. 

Gee, why was I not surprised to see a whole section on his Wikipedia entry devoted to Tax Problems?  :562479b0cbc9f_whistle1:

2 hours ago, kpmom said:

Although even as a parody they are pretty despicable.  Can't understand why the poster seemed to find them funny.

The one about the serial killer was spot on and not insulting to the disabled. The rest were pretty heavy- handed.

I remember the birth control one had an amazing fake review commending the author for avoiding lower-case letters (AKA "the Devil's runes").

Another one to add to the Christian diet book list:

51fqC28By+L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My ex totally would have gone for this book. He always wanted so badly to put me in my place! I'll have to find a copy of the good Christian wife book he made me read for our marriage counseling. I sat down and wrote an essay about what I disagreed with in each chapter and why.

2 hours ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

I read some excerpts of old Christian diet books recently. I'm pretty sure one of them was Charlie Shedd ' s The Fat is All in Your Head and one about praying away weight.

Praying away weight? I pray before each meal... perhaps I'll include an addendum asking that the calories won't cause weight gain. If only...

@kpmom I definitely didn't mean to be insulting to anyone who has an intellectual disability, as someone who is involved in communities with people who have emotional, physical, and intellectual disabilities I sincerely apologise if my post was offensive. I took the reviews to be making a mockery of the book, which is hurtful and offensive in its language and by implying that people with disabilities, intellectual or otherwise cannot have faith or be religious without this book. 

Im really sorry if my post offended anyone, that was not my intention.

Many of these sound like they belong on The Tonight Show's "Do Not Read List".  Especially Does God Ever Speak Through Cats?.

@quiversR4hunting I assume there would be footnotes concerning Lori and her ability to ignore biblical scripture. And if there isn't, Lori will be providing them soon after some copious annotations.

Archived