IGNORED

Counting on Season Four, Part 6

samurai_sarah

2 hours ago, speller24 said:

Yes! The thing you partner is most insecure about should stay between the 2 of you, unless they bring it up to others.

So true.  A couple of times my husband has made comments in front of others about subjects which cause me deep embarrassment (rational or not).  Later, he had some 'splaining to do.  His explanation: "I forgot" and "you shouldn't feel that way."  Not good enough, Bucko!

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw Part 2 and honestly it was kind of nice to see some spontaneity being shown by the kids.  Joy was downright sassy with Josiah, and Jessa was downright annoyed with Ben during the game, but tried to make up for it later when she couldn't name anything she wanted him to stop doing. 

Jeremy tries hard to be likeable and witty, and sometimes he succeeds and sometimes not.  Jinger was either just not all that into it, or truly has little personality and is just in continual deference to Jeremy.  I am hoping that it was more that she just doesn't enjoy filming anymore as she used to have some spark to her. 

Jessa seems very cognizant that she and Ben are the old married couple. She seemed a bit defensive when talking about why she and Ben don't show as much PDA.  Ben has grown on me.  I don't think he is good on camera, but I think off camera he probably is a sweet guy, and probably very sincere if not a bit quirky. 

Oh My Joe doesn't have much personality on camera.  He seems like a nice guy and I appreciated that he seemed genuinely upset by Josh's bad decisions during season one of CO.  Kendra seems too young to marry. 

Austin and Joy are cute together.  Austin seems to have a good sense of humor and wit.  Hopefully he will keep his possibly awful rigid religious views to himself and not feel the need to proselytize  or go into the ministry. 

JD ad Jana make me sad.  And for some reason Josiah annoys me.  I wish Jana and JD could find a way out of the house, sharing a room with children and never having privacy.  It feels absurd to me that 27 year old kids have to rely on daddy for an allowance and get permission to go places, dress as they want, etc.  It is sad.

When JB and M were sitting on the couch and Spurgeon was standing in front of Michelle, she looked so awkward with him.  She looked at him, but she seemed to not know what to do with her hands.  Most grandmothers would have reached down and interacted with him, held him or engaged with him in some way. 

I wish their regular show was less scripted and allowed them to just be themselves.  It did make me sad that all of the marrieds commented on how much they appreciated being alone after marriage.  That is so unfortunate.  As I have always said,  if the duggars are so confident that they raised godly children, then why do they seem to show them so little trust?  If you have to constantly chaperone your kids, then you are clearly not trusting them.

As to the host, She was fine, but I hated that she seemed to just normalize the weirdness. I would love to see an interviewer dig in a bit more and point out some of the inconsistencies, such as what I said above.  But the Duggars, JB and M, in particular, are cowards.  They know their twisted lifestyle wouldn't hold up to honest scrutiny, so they would never allow it. 

11 hours ago, calimojo said:

As to the host, She was fine, but I hated that she seemed to just normalize the weirdness. I would love to see an interviewer dig in a bit more and point out some of the inconsistencies, such as what I said above.

The one thing I actually thought was good was when she specifically asked Jessa about her body/weight after Ben maybe accidentally commented on it. I've never had kids, but I would imagine it's a very "normal" thing to want to get back to either a pre-pregnancy weight or at least a goal weight. If they truly consider what they do a ministry (their opinion, not mine), then she should use her platform to talk about any struggles she's facing with juggling two small children and trying to get in better shape with the intentions of helping or inspiring people in similar situations.

Also- I hope I'm not at all coming off as like fat-shaming her or anyone for her weight at all! I'm just thinking she seemed insecure about it, and it felt like a "real" moment when Daphne was like "wait let's talk about this struggle you're facing". We always feel that interviewers go soft on the Duggars or are maybe given a list of things they can ask about (and I'm also not saying Daphne was hard on them), but I feel like that wouldn't have been on the list of approved topics.

On 7/31/2017 at 11:06 AM, melon said:

No,I think Ben meant he loves Jessa as she is,like we should love our spouse/significant other.Even with a few extra pounds.

My husband has always said, "I married a person, not a body."  

Saw on my MSN page that Duck Dynasty gets $10,000 per person per episode. Just wondering if the Duggars get something on par with this?

@front hugs > duggs

The weird thing about Jessa's purported body image problem is that Jessa looks exactly like she did pre-engagement to Ben. She was never the stick skinny girl who married Ben in Nov of 2014- that body was the outlier. She is back to her pre-engagement self, probably exactly where she should be health/weight wise.

She is much prettier when she has a bit more weight on her because when she is stick thin like she was at the wedding, it really accentuates his very strong jaw and prominent chin.  Her face is softer and prettier now, IMO.  She is still very slender.  None of the girls are overweight.  Joy is fuller figured than the others, but I bet in person she is quite slender also. 

Now the boys,  they seem skinny through adolescence and then they fill out.  Joe used to be very fit and IIRC he worked out quite a bit, but he is getting that Duggar male prominent belly.

5 hours ago, AlysonRR said:

My husband has always said, "I married a person, not a body."  

I felt very badly about my body after having my son by c-section.  My lower abdominal muscles have never come back (I was in my 30's).  I dated a fellow who said to me, "Woman, you have had a child, why would your body not show that?"  It gave me the biggest relief of my life.

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

The weird thing about Jessa's purported body image problem is that Jessa looks exactly like she did pre-engagement to Ben. She was never the stick skinny girl who married Ben in Nov of 2014- that body was the outlier. She is back to her pre-engagement self, probably exactly where she should be health/weight wise.

I think Jessa looks good pregnant or a little weight and exactly like she does.  She gave birth to humans.  Good for her. 

Her engagement night I think she was very svelte but not skinny.  

The dress on the night was amazing. 

Apparently Spud has great motor skills for a boy his age - now that is wonderful 

I get the weight thing.  I mean,  before I had #2 I made sure to work out and eat right to get my weight down before I got pregnant.   Can't do it after and I didn't want the pounds piling up.  Since she's going to go for it with lots of kids, I get it.  Shouldn't have been brought up but I do feel Ben had good intent.  

I think the worse part about Ben's statement on the show is that he sort of concurred with Jessa's feelings by saying something to the effect of  they could both get in better shape, and that maybe they should work out together. Yep, that would have stung.

14 hours ago, calimojo said:

She is much prettier when she has a bit more weight on her because when she is stick thin like she was at the wedding, it really accentuates his very strong jaw and prominent chin.  Her face is softer and prettier now, IMO.  She is still very slender.  None of the girls are overweight.  Joy is fuller figured than the others, but I bet in person she is quite slender also. 

Now the boys,  they seem skinny through adolescence and then they fill out.  Joe used to be very fit and IIRC he worked out quite a bit, but he is getting that Duggar male prominent belly.

witch wedding?

Her own? Or Joys?

My son (four) is SUPER into space right now, so we've been getting lots of books from the library and watching space-themed videos on the kids YT. Even though it's been a while since they de-planetized Pluto there is still plenty of Pluto stuff out there. I'd say it's almost an even split between books with and without Pluto. These are all younger kids books, Magic School Bus and Nat Geo Kids, so they might not be updated as often. I've been very clear with my husband that we are raising our son to believe Pluto is a planet and Harry Potter ended with Deathly Hallows PERIOD. My house, my rules :evil-laugh:

@CharlieInCharge The kids I babysit have this floor puzzle of the solar system and all of them are labeled but Pluto and everytime we do it I make sure to drill it into their head that Pluto still deserves love.

On 8/2/2017 at 8:51 PM, SassyPants said:

I think the worse part about Ben's statement on the show is that he sort of concurred with Jessa's feelings by saying something to the effect of  they could both get in better shape, and that maybe they should work out together. Yep, that would have stung.

I haven't seen the episode and it may have come off as insensitive. But Ben has always seemed to pride himself on physical fitness and used to even be a "trainer" to some of the other Duggar kids. In fact it was watching him workout with Joy that I kind of felt those two would have been a better match as she was clearly interested in physical fitness. So his comment may not necessarily been meant to body shame, but instead reflect his desire that they share an activity he values.

I think Ben had a case of not thinking before he speaks. Which, for the things he has said in the past, isn't so bad. He has probably heard Jessa say a few times that she's not where she wants to be. And so being awkward, he said it! Then he realized, oh no! I don't think he meant it to be hurtful, nor do I believe that he thinks she is overweight. Ben just wants Jessa to be happy. 

6 hours ago, Snarkle Motion said:

I haven't seen the episode and it may have come off as insensitive. But Ben has always seemed to pride himself on physical fitness and used to even be a "trainer" to some of the other Duggar kids. In fact it was watching him workout with Joy that I kind of felt those two would have been a better match as she was clearly interested in physical fitness. So his comment may not necessarily been meant to body shame, but instead reflect his desire that they share an activity he values.

When you watch, it's clear he means the latter.

On 7/31/2017 at 1:53 PM, Lynn18 said:

I use the song from Blue's Clue's:  "Oh the Sun is a hot star and Mercury is hot too. Venus is the brightest planet and Earth is home to me and you. Mars is the red one and Jupiter most wide, Saturn has those icy rings and Uranus spins on it's side.Neptune is really windy and Pluto very small, we wanted to know the planets and now we've named them all".

You're welcome.

This is what I always say in my head too! It's a bit longer than the other mnemonics mentioned but it has always stuck with me!

On August 3, 2017 at 8:08 PM, CharlieInCharge said:

I've been very clear with my husband that we are raising our son to believe Pluto is a planet and Harry Potter ended with Deathly Hallows PERIOD. My house, my rules :evil-laugh:

Parenting award!!! Pluto is a planet, this is the one area where I disagree with the experts. :pb_lol: And of course Harry Potter ended with the Deathly Hallows! I got a time turner and went back in time and stopped the play from being written. What play, you ask? You're welcome.

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I got a time turner and went back in time and stopped the play from being written. What play, you ask? You're welcome.

Thank you for sparing us from that dreadful play! (That now doesn't exist.):my_biggrin:

• Curious locked this topic

Archived