IGNORED

Seewalds 24 - Bought the House from Grandma

choralcrusader8613

1 hour ago, anaandrade said:

Re Jessa looking at the eclipse: if she did look at it directly, she didn't listen to her mom either. There's a post on the Duggars FB and they apparently made homemade viewing devices. 

I also think she'll announce a pregnancy around November if they keep on schedule.

You have to be REALLY careful about homemade eclipse viewing devices.  They might not be good enough to prevent damage to your retinas.  You're much better off with a commercial product.  Lots of places were giving them out.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

You have to be REALLY careful about homemade eclipse viewing devices.  They might not be good enough to prevent damage to your retinas.  You're much better off with a commercial product.  Lots of places were giving them out.

They were looking at the shadow in modified cereal boxes. I don't think there's any danger in that, is there?

Someone shared a post about how those that don't believe in science seem to be very hype about something so sciencey as the eclipse. Like if you can trust their science about this, why stops you about other things science related?

Were they in the path of totality? Maybe she was looking at the fully eclipsed sun.

Based on the IG post from Josiah, they got pretty darn close to totality if his picture was at the peak for Tontitown. 

59 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Based on the IG post from Josiah, they got pretty darn close to totality if his picture was at the peak for Tontitown. 

Nevertheless I would not have risked it. 

Obviously the eclipse looked really cool for people who had the chance to see it, but that being said, it wasn't cool enough for toasty retinas. I viewed an eclipse and that was the last thing I ever saw clearly...:my_dodgy:

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Obviously the eclipse looked really cool for people who had the chance to see it,

I loved SJP's reaction the best. 

9 hours ago, KeshetParparNesicha said:

Were they in the path of totality? Maybe she was looking at the fully eclipsed sun.

They were not in the path of totality. 

Edit: Unless they traveled somewhere to view it.

3 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

You're not supposed to look even during totality. 

Apparently you can look during totality, but only during totality, which I think lasted about 2 minutes at the longest (it differed place to place).

@singsingsing,  a pinhole viewer is perfectly safe, but some people try to jury rig something out of blackened glass.  I don't even think that welders' glass is considered sufficient.  

Looking at the totally eclipsed sun is safe, but as soon as the moon starts to move away and a tiny bit of the sun )other than the corona) becomes visible, the glasses need to back on.  If you don't have totality, it's never safe to view the sun directly.  

Re Jessa looking at the eclipse: Who needs eye protection when you are so special the lord will protect your eyes?

20 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

I have to say, its a good photo.  

It also seems like a large number of people are looking directly at it . . . does it damage everyone or is there just a chance?

Anyone who looks directly at it has a chance of permanently damaging their retinas. Doctors/scientists aren't sure how long it takes, but it can happen in a matter of seconds. The longer you look, the higher risk of damage and the more severe it will be.

3 hours ago, nst said:

I loved SJP's reaction the best. 

Who?

1 minute ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Who?

Sarah Jessica Parker? I think lol. 

totally random but I was by a small authentic Asian market while it was happening and the owner and friends had set out a washtub of water to look at the reflection.  The rest of the people had little cardboard glasses.  It was a brilliant way to view the clips.

I am amused at the speculation of her next pregnancy and all the talk about her 'staying on schedule'.  What Schedule? She only has 2 kids so that is not enough to really determine a schedule or a trend.  With Michelle, we had a number of data points and could compute a 'schedule' or frequency.  But with only 2 pregnancies,  not really going to call it that yet.  But yeah,  you all are probably right in your predictions.

perhaps after number 4, we can safely say she has a schedule

By schedule do we mean 'as fast as possible after the last pregnancy'? Otherwise I'm not sure what getting pregnant six months after the last one while still breastfeeding can be called. There's no attempt at spacing going on at least where the first two were concerned. 

Even if they weren't using reliable BC, most people, in the RW with 2 little kids and all that comes with that life ( childcare, JOBS, bills, yards, laundry...) are often times too tired for sweet, sweet fellowship 24/7/365, so natural spacing is a bit ex-te-nd-ed.

But with these folks...everything is basically handed to them, including free babysitting- they probably take afternoon breaks for SSFS and naps, while some J younger sister or Jana cleans, cooks and wipes asses, thereby shortening that natural spacing.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived