IGNORED

Homemaker By Choice - creative writing!

Beeks

oh well, me too.

why is the story so focused on sexuality anyway?

It's fanfic. Most of the time, it is focused on sexuality. And I say this as a fandom nerd who loves good, long plotty, well written works!

It's so hard for me to mock someones squee, particularly fanfic from a fundie. Fandom is such an interesting place, and it may well be good for her to get her hands dirty in it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Off to go read it, I love it when they try to write "fictionals" :clap:

Maybe we should have a literacy circle so we compare this story to the one that Raquel/God's daughter wrote

I liked Raquel's story. I mean, it was pretty good for a teenager, especially one that's from the SOTDRT.

As for this... wow. This woman is married and wants to homeskool her kids, yet she has no clue how to use proper nouns, commas, or quotation marks.

Nuri, is there anyplace I can read a good analysis of fanfiction? What it typically entails, common pitfalls, et?

I'll see what I can drag up after I get home from work in an hour or so. Fandom and Fanfiction are huge and are starting to recieve some academic study as well, which is really neat, even when some of the studies are total fail.

Nuri, is there anyplace I can read a good analysis of fanfiction? What it typically entails, common pitfalls, et?

There's a good little overview of fanfic on here:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... FanFiction

I love fanfic and read/write it frequently.

I also love reading "badfic", the worst fanfictions out there. (My avatar is actually a quote from one of the most infamous badfics, a Harry Potter story called My Immortal.)

Oh my god, I've mostly been lurking for the past month or so, but I HAD to respond to the My Immortal comment. Best worst HP fanfic ever! My friends and I would take turns doing dramatic readings in our dorm last year. It was hilarious.

As for this... wow. This woman is married and wants to homeskool her kids, yet she has no clue how to use proper nouns, commas, or quotation marks.

Not only that, but she doesn't even speak what presumably will be her children's native language. Hopefully her husband will help there, but I just don't think that's a good setup for any of them if they stay in Norway.

Oh my god, I've mostly been lurking for the past month or so, but I HAD to respond to the My Immortal comment. Best worst HP fanfic ever! My friends and I would take turns doing dramatic readings in our dorm last year. It was hilarious.

"He pot his wetnes in my u-know-what sexily. I gut an orgy. "Oh Draco!111111!1 Oh mi fuking gud Draco!1111" I screemed passively as he got an eructation."

- My Immortal, Chapter 34

It makes the fictionals look like Hemingway by comparison, doesn't it?

"He pot his wetnes in my u-know-what sexily. I gut an orgy. "Oh Draco!111111!1 Oh mi fuking gud Draco!1111" I screemed passively as he got an eructation."

:shock: :shock: :shock: WTF!

Hemingway, indeed!

Oh god I fucking love My Immortal. I really, really hope it's a trollfic.

I got bogged down last night, but the TV tropes page is very useful to explain the basics of fanfiction/fandom. Also, it's like falling down a wikihole except worse.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I just got caught up on this story. i CANNOT believe that fundies are stroking her ego over this shitty piece of writing. The story is trite, if fundified, the writing is sub-par and common, and the grammar and style is, well, so utterly wrong that I feel bad for the children that she will education at the SODRT, because if she knows so little, they will know less than so little.

• 2 weeks later...

Tori and Jade are main characters in Victorious.

This chick is trying to Christian-ize her TeenNick channel.

Yeah :lol:

And - ok yeah this kind of confirms what the courting thing is - you are suppose to have the intention of marrying a complete stranger that your father thinks will also keep you locked up in the future, and apparently courting is just so that you feel comfortable enough with him to not freak out when he ravages your lips on your wedding day? (And I don't hold out ANY hope that anything else will get ravaged that day, it would be like pin the tail on the donkey).

Ooo-kay. She's a pretty sucky writer. No imagination.

Kinda reminds me of stuff my gran gave me when I was a teenager, from the 50's (in Ireland). Extremely poorly written, no ambiguity of any kind, no real conflict, heavily didactic and beats you over the head with a moral message.

It wasn't good then and it's not good now.

So now it's a kindle e-book for 99 cents. Do they let anybody publish e-books these days?

Yes. It's really very easy to publish just about anything.

I got bogged down last night, but the TV tropes page is very useful to explain the basics of fanfiction/fandom. Also, it's like falling down a wikihole except worse.

TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life.

I can get lost for hours on there if I have nothing else interrupting me.

So now it's a kindle e-book for 99 cents. Do they let anybody publish e-books these days?

Yup. On the one hand, I think this can be really great for authors whose work doesn't have wide appeal, and therefore won't be picked up by a mainstream publisher. It allows them to reach out to fans and make a little bit of money off of it. However, a lot of people are put off of buying ebooks off somewhere like Amazon because there is no editing process, and they don't want to waste money on something like, well, this. For this reason I am firmly of the opinion that people should only self-publish novels under a select set of circumstances:

1) If they have had books published previously with at least modest success, but are told that their current story isn't 'what readers want' (as for instance with Neesha Meminger's second novel),

2) If they have been told their book is well-written and engaging and the publisher enjoyed it, but it's not marketable,

3) If they have paid an arm and a leg for a good editor.

I think this is what's saddest about the whole thing. It's one thing to publish poorly-written drafts online for feedback, because by practising and getting feedback people improve. It's another thing to be selling it, and she must really not realise how awful it is.

Yup. On the one hand, I think this can be really great for authors whose work doesn't have wide appeal, and therefore won't be picked up by a mainstream publisher. It allows them to reach out to fans and make a little bit of money off of it. However, a lot of people are put off of buying ebooks off somewhere like Amazon because there is no editing process, and they don't want to waste money on something like, well, this. For this reason I am firmly of the opinion that people should only self-publish novels under a select set of circumstances:

1) If they have had books published previously with at least modest success, but are told that their current story isn't 'what readers want' (as for instance with Neesha Meminger's second novel),

2) If they have been told their book is well-written and engaging and the publisher enjoyed it, but it's not marketable,

3) If they have paid an arm and a leg for a good editor.

I think this is what's saddest about the whole thing. It's one thing to publish poorly-written drafts online for feedback, because by practising and getting feedback people improve. It's another thing to be selling it, and she must really not realise how awful it is.

Alba, are you a writer? That's some really good advice.

Alba, are you a writer? That's some really good advice.

I suppose so. I've only ever had one poem published (largely because it's the only time I've had the guts to submit any for publication!), but I'm working on a novel at the moment. Hopefully within the next couple of years that novel will be published by a bona fide publisher :lol:

ETA: I say 'I suppose so' because it feels weird to call myself a writer when I've yet to finish my novel, but I guess I can consider myself one because I do write.

:lol: yeah I know how you feel. I have had some things published, but not A BOOK, and am working on some now, but it still feels weird when I say that I'm a writer. But hey - I've got to give Amber credit for just putting herself out there, because that is hard to do. It does seem to be more of a "ministry", though - and it kind of shows what kind of stuff she's been reading.

Archived