IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters - Part 4

Briefly
On 10/27/2018 at 1:36 PM, smittykins said:

NY raised the drinking age from 18 to 19 in 1982, and to 21 in 1986.  I turned 19 that September and the age raise was due to take effect on December 1st.  So I was legal twice(we weren't grandfathered in, unfortunately).

I remember the legal age being lowered to 18 right before I turned 18.  Or at least I think that is what it was, it could have been that the legal age was 18 and I just remember when I turned legal age.  Not that I took advantage of it!  It was raised to 21 again, but it took effect right after I turned 21.  I remember my dad teasing me about that, but I'd already "done the math" as we say and knew it would not affect me.

I actually didn't get carded for a drink until I was somewhere around 22 or so, and that was when I bought a beer at a stand at the local rodeo (I hate beer but there were no other choices and I was thirsty).  I did not look under age, but there was an official who had just introduced himself to the person running the beer stand as such and the person was suddenly asking everybody for their id.  The first, and actually only other time, that I was carded was for a midnight movie where the age was 18 and I was 20.  I was actually offended at that.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EowynW

• Red Hair, Black Dress

• Briefly

• feministxtian

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BUY HIM MALE STRIPPER ATTIRE.  BUY A LITTLE BOWTIE AND A CODPIECE. SOME ASSLESS CHAPS IF YOU CAN SPARE THE EXPENSE. Then play dumb and say "what? You said get HIM something good!" I am

Someone from my former fundie church told my parents tonight at church that I had said I positively would never be having children. I've never said that to anyone especially not on Facebook where peop

Good evening, I am not a Fundie but have lived among them in a very Fundie town for the last thirty years. I have had a multitude of experiences around them and even acted as a judge for one of their

Posted Images

EowynW

I went to go pick up soil today in Big Sandy and the soil place is only half a mile from the IBLP ALERT/Family Camp compound. I drove right past it! Thank goodness we are away from those crazy people now! 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3
unholypoledancer

Husband and I took daughter to the pumpkin patch/farmer's market today. A mom pulled up with a car full of kids, three of which were girls. All girls were dressed in skirts that went down to their feet (one being a tell-tale denim) and they all had long hair, one of which had hair that went down to her feet as well.

Husband was skeptical, but I said they had to be fundies. He wanted to know why mom was chilling in yoga pants, and I couldn't give him a good reason (mom had JUST had a baby too). I knew you guys would appreciate and confirm that yes, they were fundies. 

• Upvote 3
On 10/25/2018 at 3:28 PM, SoSoNosy said:

I am in North Mississippi, too; moved 10 years ago.   I clearly remember the Blue Laws, because they were still in effect when I was in college in Memphis. 

When my daughter first went to college, she went to a school in Arkansas that was in a dry county.  She became a Little Sister to one of the fraternities; they had a soft drink dispenser with one row of "beer" (generic), so they had to make beer runs to the next county to get their beer.  As a teenager she always looked a little bit older than she was, so she made the beer run fairly often.  Arkansas still has a bunch of dry counties.

I love that they had beer in soft drink dispensers! I know there are still a bunch in Arkansas and I think Mississippi still has the most dry counties in the country? I don't venture too far from my county for recreation generally so I have no idea. I work in Tate County a couple of days a week but I don't hang around to socialize. The only county I really spend any time in for fun besides my own is Coahoma County, and it isn't dry so all up, I'm not affected! Haha. I sound like an alcoholic or something but I swear that I just like a beer with my live music (the main reason I ever go out!).

• Upvote 2
Themanda Duggar
16 hours ago, unholypoledancer said:

Husband and I took daughter to the pumpkin patch/farmer's market today. A mom pulled up with a car full of kids, three of which were girls. All girls were dressed in skirts that went down to their feet (one being a tell-tale denim) and they all had long hair, one of which had hair that went down to her feet as well.

Husband was skeptical, but I said they had to be fundies. He wanted to know why mom was chilling in yoga pants, and I couldn't give him a good reason (mom had JUST had a baby too). I knew you guys would appreciate and confirm that yes, they were fundies. 

It’s hard to say, but the mom in yoga pants makes me wonder.  Up until she was in 4th grade, my daughter had never had her hair cut, and only wore skirts and dresses.  I was shocked to realize that some of the other class parents assumed we were fundie as a result.  She dressed the way she did because she wanted to, and after spending so much of my childhood in uniforms, I wasn’t going to fight about it.  She got her hair cut as soon as she wanted to, I had wanted to cut it for several years at that point, but it was her hair and her her decision.

I don’t wear pants all that often, they make me feel confined, and it’s not unusual for me to wear a long dress or skirt.  I have long hair.  I’m sure there are days that I’m wearing something that would be fundie approved, but that doesn’t make me one.

All I’m saying here is that looks can be deceiving.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4
PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea
22 hours ago, EowynW said:

I went to go pick up soil today in Big Sandy

Did you need a loam to clay for it all? I hope you got some dirt on the fundies from the local gossips. I hope you can go back to your regolith life now.

:)

• Haha 1
EowynW
3 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

Did you need a loam to clay for it all? I hope you got some dirt on the fundies from the local gossips. I hope you can go back to your regolith life now.

:)

Sadly I live in the area and poor Mr. EW grew up ATI and going to family camp every year. He has many studies. Even saw Gothard speak in person! 

• Upvote 2
EowynW

I'm surrounded by fundies and they all provide such entertainment for me. :D Here's a Halloween post from a fundie missionary couple I know from their public missionary page. 

IMG_7425.PNG

Edited by EowynW
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1
FullOfGravy

If the origin is wicked and it starts as a wicked holiday, mark it down, it will still be a wicked holiday.

Oh dear, who's going to be the one to tell them why Christmas is celebrated in December?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 11
AliceInFundyland

Halloween was the first idea I discovered was “baaaad” in some people’s religions. When I moved to Kansas in the late 80s and discovered that kids didn’t do trick-or-treat my mind was blown. Previously I had known fairly devout Jewish and Catholic children....yeah not the same Koolaid.

So John Webster going out with his little girls for candy is like a whoa moment for me. I’m glad he doesn’t equate Halloween with devil worship. I realize the whole yeahyeahyeah of it. But I was pleased. It’s nice. It’s normal. I hope it’s something they repeat and remember. Not actually something you visualize a kid doing with a guy nicknamed Taliban Dan.

• Upvote 3
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic