IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters - Part 4

Coconut Flan

@Red Hair, Black Dress she has the time because the job her husband works is literally right outside the door (basically caretaker for a fancy ranch people rent and they live in a house on the property provided by the job) and he can watch the kids and help out on a very flexible schedule. It's a dead end low pay job & I think they cling to it for the family time and they don't have to pay rent and very few utilities.

Neither have had to taste "reality" yet of surviving in the real world with rent/house payment, utilities, husband commuting to a hard labor job that wears him out, etc and both are spoiled. I know I sound like a bitch but...

and my fundie FIL has the nerve to ride US about renting and not living in a "real house" and "when are you having kids." I think he's focusing on the wrong couple,  because at least we are honestly standing on our own two feet, complete with the tiredness and stress that comes with staying one step ahead of everything. 

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm throwing this out as something I've been convicted of after reading Lori for 2 years.

I don't think Lori likes or ever even wanted children, not even her own*.  Despite her often repeated mantra that she always only ever wanted to be a wife and mother, I think she only wanted to get married so she could stay home and not work. Having children was not part of her plan.

I believe that to Lori having children was what was expected of her in her Christian world.  What a Christian wife was supposed to want to do.  So she did. Whether she wanted to or not.

I completely believe having the second baby was only to get out of working not her fervent desire to be home with her oldest.  And she only had a 2nd child because that was the only way Ken would let her stay home. Obviously since she was using bc, Ken wasn't dying to have a 2nd child right then.  And based on nothing but a feeling, I think her 4th child was an oops.

* She swears she dearly loves her grandchildren, but I don't see it in the way she writes or talks about them.

Edited to add

OK my bad -- meant to post this in the Lori thread -- but it works here, as fundies are generally obsessed with having all the bay-bezz

I have a lot of run ins with Scientologists. They have handed myself and my kids information about drug abuse, what they consider to be human rights and pharmaceutical companies. It was alarming to be a couple years ago, but I have grown used to being handed Scientology weirdness.

In today's episode of My Fundie Everybody Loves Raymond life. 

Mr. EW calls his mother to ask if she's home so he can run by for something. 

MIL: how are you? 

Mr: fine, was going to come over if you're home. 

MIL: are you going to tell us there's a baby on the way?! 

Mr: no mom. We already have 3 kids. They are furry, with paws. 

MIL: hollow laughter 

Mr: I am home alone while Mrs is in the city. 

MIL: what's she doing there? Is she at the dr? 

Mr: no mom. 

MIL: are you two not getting along?!?

MR: internal cussing before straightening her out   

My friend moved to a new area.  She took her two kids (6 and 4 years old) trick or treating.  There were three different houses on her block that were all decked out for Halloween and had their lights on, yet the owners said they had no candy and told the kids to go to church before shutting the door.  (Friend and her children are Jewish.)  It was a large enough number of houses that she wondered if this was a coordinated effort from one church.

1 hour ago, GeoBQn said:

My friend moved to a new area.  She took her two kids (6 and 4 years old) trick or treating.  There were three different houses on her block that were all decked out for Halloween and had their lights on, yet the owners said they had no candy and told the kids to go to church before shutting the door.  (Friend and her children are Jewish.)  It was a large enough number of houses that she wondered if this was a coordinated effort from one church.

That is nuts. It does sound like coordinated thing. 

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I work near The Yellow Deli, run by the 12 Tribes (I think?) church. I went to lunch there for the first time and it was so creepy and Uncanny Valley. Every employee is a member of the church. Every man has the same haircut, same small ponytail, same beard, same plaid shirts, same pants. Every woman has the same plaid shirt, long hair, ponytail and what I can only describe as MC Hammer-esque pants (tight at the ankle, weirdly blousy everywhere else). There were probably 25 people total in the restaurant and at least that many employees just milling about with their forced smiles. At the checkout in the front there is a whole table filled with their tracts and pamphlets and the menu says on the front "We serve the fruit of the spirit...won't you ask us about it?" Very, very weird. 

Well word got out we've been visiting the Methodist church around the corner from us. 

Mil: "do those people even know the Lord?! How can you be sure?!" 

2 hours ago, GeoBQn said:

In my neighborhood, if it's not raining, snowing, or below freezing, people sit outside to pass out candy. We don't knock or ring the doorbell on any homes and neither does anyone else. For some reason there was a home that was dark, undecorated, and had three signs posted on their home. They all said "we have no candy!" I had to laugh at the ridiculousness. No one was going to knock on your door! Those signs were over the top and completely unnecessary. It's like they were trying to be Halloween grinches. 

@JermajestyDuggar   Halloween grinches -- love it.  Our neighborhood website/ bulletin board was set up so that people could indicate if they were giving out candy.  the neighborhood is big on decorations.  My neighbors even had appropriately thematic music playing.

We have 100s of children every year (literally many 100s). We buy more candy every year and usually have none left.  Mr. Dress loves manning the porch, pretending to be frightened or ooo ahhh over the princesses/ butterflies/ cats/etc.

Fortunately I don't think anyone in our neighborhood gives out religious tracts instead of candy and then witnesses for Jesus. You know .... like Lori commands suggests.

Moving from candy to Lori's gluttony blog today.  I don't think Lori with her weird food quirks, dietary restrictions (4 chips anyone), and obsession with weight is the right person to discuss this topic. Lori thinks everyone but her is overweight and a glutton.

Yesterday's doodle about obedient wives annoyed the eff out of me.  She makes it sounds as if women/wives should be trained monkeys -- popping up instantly to do their masters' bidding.

We went trick or treating with some friends in their neighborhood, one house was passing out Chik tracts and cheap candy. Grinches. 

On 10/25/2017 at 9:53 AM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

@EowynW Go ahead, be a baddie. Because if you promote her as a professional, and someone takes your recommendation and your SIL ends up doing a pitiful or merely mediocre job - then it's on you as well for talking her up.  People love to blame the messenger.

I have a very close relative who is a professional photographer.  It really is all about knowing your gear, understanding how to work with it, having all the right equipment, and having a solid outstanding portfolio that you continually add to. Being a serious professional photographer is a huge outlay of money up front, and then the ongoing costs of new, better equipment and classes to help you learn new skills/ new equipment and refine the ones you have.  I cannot imagine how your SIL is doing this on public assistance. It's also time-consuming, not a part-time dabble here and there job, especially if you want to make any money at it. If you're self-employed you have to market and promote yourself, chase opportunities, have a visible web presence.  Then there is the whole issue of taxes and keeping track of expenses.

My relative gets annoyed AF when he's at one of his gallery shows and he hears someone say -- 'oh I can take pictures like that on my iPhone"  Umm ... no. no you can't because if you could you'd be having the gallery show. 

She's buying a full frame camera plus lenses this week. (Full frames are the most expensive camera type. Most starting at around $1600 for body alone.) 

then calls me to ask if I'll "come play with her and the camera" once it gets here. (She knows I've been wishing for a full frame but the money just isn't there for us.) 

The least the tract giving people could do is give good candy. We give a small new testament at my church's trnk or treat, but the kids also get a crap ton of candy and hit dogs, drinks, and popcorn.

On 11/2/2017 at 11:04 AM, EowynW said:

She's buying a full frame camera plus lenses this week. (Full frames are the most expensive camera type. Most starting at around $1600 for body alone.) 

then calls me to ask if I'll "come play with her and the camera" once it gets here. (She knows I've been wishing for a full frame but the money just isn't there for us.) 

So you can explain the camera to her?

I wasn't sure where to put this, but... This came in the mail today at my coffee shop...should we be concerned that someone is concerned? (They're chick tracts if you can't tell)

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, MayMay1123 said:

I wasn't sure where to put this, but... This came in the mail today at my coffee shop...should we be concerned that someone is concerned? (They're chick tracts if you can't tell)

image.jpeg

My daughter collects them and others like this.  She loves them, because they are so far out there.  The people that leave them are probably serious, unfortunately.  (Also - is there a way to quote and take the picture out so it's not repeated?)

Passed a Semi on the way to work this morning that was concerned about everyone's salvation.  Apparently, there are only 2 'paths' - One leading to Jesus the other to Sin (no mention of hell or the fact that you can have Jesus/salvation and sin).  

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:11 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

In my neighborhood, if it's not raining, snowing, or below freezing, people sit outside to pass out candy. We don't knock or ring the doorbell on any homes and neither does anyone else. For some reason there was a home that was dark, undecorated, and had three signs posted on their home. They all said "we have no candy!" I had to laugh at the ridiculousness. No one was going to knock on your door! Those signs were over the top and completely unnecessary. It's like they were trying to be Halloween grinches. 

Actually, we had to do that one year.  We had no decorations, no lights, no anything, and (bigger) kids still banged on the door.  I had to put up a sign saying "All Gone, Sorry!"   We live in a neighborhood that has had buses pull up and let out kids from towns that are miles away.

On 04/11/2017 at 9:22 AM, MayMay1123 said:

image.jpeg

It was probably Jesus, cause, remember, according to Carlin Bates, #Jesuslovesthemall. 

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

OK, I totally misread that tweet as "Jesus loves the mall." :pb_lol:

that's not what carlin meant??? Jesus doesn't love the mall? why doesn't Jesus love the mall? Jesus really needs to give the mall a try, He might like it! :lol:

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic

Archived