IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters - Part 4

Coconut Flan

I didn't search but I would guess that the twelve tribes has been written about before. I was in katoomba not long ago and got myself a bitter coffee that left an even more bitter aftertaste after I realised who I gave money to. 

A little disclaimer - I interact with fundies regularly through my work (mainly exclusive brethren and bruderhof) so I am a bit blind to long hair and long skirts. I grew up semi fundie and can usually sniff out the more crazy ones but not this time.

Here's a write up (not by me). 

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_au/article/nnkngd/visiting-the-cafe-thats-so-good-people-ignore-its-run-by-a-cult

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This wasn't an in-person encounter, but we just returned from a 10-day road trip.  On the highway between Sweetwater and Lubbuck in the Texas panhandle, we were passed by a late-model black Cadillac Escalade with a large "God is good" decal on the back window. 

Okay I just spent a week with fundie family. 

Some highlights: 

- gay cousin shows up at family reunion. LOUD announcement before family reunion by fundie aunt saying that "everyone must put aside their differences and get ALONG" 

- my mom harping on my sister and I for waiting to have kids (we both are planning on two more years) "out of fear." I finally told here we were waiting because we just DIDNT WANT THEM right now + can't afford them. Also cue discomfort at us only wanting to have two kids. 

- my mom happy that my brother needs to wait to make something of himself (per his GF's parents orders) before getting engaged so his GF  (an already working college educated teacher) can immediately stay home and start popping out the babiezzzzz instead of helping him by working the first couple of years as he builds his (already doing well) business up. When asked if my brother was going to mind not using BC and having kids right off the bat, my mom said he was doing it because it made her happy. And it made my mom so happy because "you never go against a woman wanting to be a mother." It is messed up on several levels IMO 

- it's funny how my mom is pleased with both her son and son in law for being  successful and saying it's the right thing to do,  but then pressuring Mr & I for kids when we are the least financially stable to have said children. there is so much doublespeak in the fundie world that it gives me whiplash  

- oh and my mother in law now believes I've turned her son into an anti American because we both believe people should be free to take a knee to the flag  

- and my mother in law is more upset about people hurting truth by not standing for the anthem than she is for the victims of the crimes football players routinely get away with. Did you know not standing is the most serious turning away from God crime there is? Hahahahaaaa I didn't either  

18 hours ago, EowynW said:

Road trip with all my fundie inlaws

All of them? I'm so sorry. :hug: Hope you make it home in one piece!

Oh my gosh.  Your dad says helping Puerto Rico isn't our problem.

Qualifier: American citizens

Disqualifiers: Brown.  Spanish speakers (mostly).  

Americans (including me) are getting a primer on Puerto Rico. 

Racism is alive and well...if you don't speak English and can trace your ancestors all the way back to the damn Mayflower, you ain't shit....funny how the Trumpies think they're so superior, but their dog-whistle "head" is a 1st generation native born on one side and 2nd generation native born on the other. 

28 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

Racism is alive and well...if you don't speak English and can trace your ancestors all the way back to the damn Mayflower, you ain't shit....funny how the Trumpies think they're so superior, but their dog-whistle "head" is a 1st generation native born on one side and 2nd generation native born on the other. 

And here is what Scotland (Trump's mother's native homeland) has to say about it all: https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/yer-maw-was-an-immigrant?utm_term=.ovMzo9Q02#.ywD5V7WAB

For those not wanting to click on the link: Scotland isn't fond of Trump. He pissed off everyone and their goldfish before he got elected*, and things certainly haven't improved. The first picture in that link is a protest picture literally saying "Your Maw was an immigrant, you absolute roaster".

* He built a golf course. He tried bullying the local community into selling land to him. He tried bullying the Scottish government into NOT building an off-shore wind-farm near to his golf course. He threw his weight around so much, without any regard for the people who live and work in Scotland that he's pretty hated now.

The mess with Puerto Rico (literally "Rich Door") is beyond pissing me off...I guess Herr Trumpfer doesn't like Bacardi. 

So yesterday morning I ran out to the grocery store and came home.  When doing so, there was nothing on my door.  Today when I left for work, there was literature from a local church.  (apparently concerned for my soul since I was at home on a Sunday - and spent part of my morning doing work from home so my workday one of quarter end runs more smoothly).  

http://www.riceroadchurch.com/

I'd like to thank them for the lovely website - so I can share it with you.  Because the photo of church members - where all the women are in skirts - is just SO inviting.  Not.  

For your reading snark er pleasure

http://www.riceroadchurch.com/about.html

there is a link to here - for more reading snark er pleasure.  

http://www.christianlandmark.com/2012/03/27/12-reasons-why-you-should-investigate-the-church-of-christ-2/

On 9/30/2017 at 5:49 PM, feministxtian said:

My MIL is very racist. I don't think she means to be but she is. Mr. EW says she grew up in backwoods small town Arkansas where each color had their own side of town/tracks 

Ok folks. I had just had a real life encounter with a JESUS mobile!! I was heading up to the city and this truck passed me. He was driving hella fast, speeding into the Lord I guess! I was finally able to get pics when he slowed down for his exit. I wasn't looking at the phone while I took the pics so they aren't great but thought you all would appreciate them.

I blurred out the license plate but rest assured, it said something about GOD on it!!0d7593229e65cf6f86320b012d21d3db.jpg0a04a3d50ecd9c39ad8b309e8bb86ea9.jpg

That truck scares me.

Husband, daughter, and I went to Aldi right next to our house the other day. We live in an upscale tourist community, so it was weird to see...but it was Fundie mom (I could tell by a dress layered over a much longer one that looked prairie like?) and her two sons. Both buys wore polos and slacks, an addressed mom as "Mother" and they looked anywhere from 9-12. I didn't say anything to them, but it was super weird to see, since I would not peg this area to be Fundie heavy. My first real life Fundie sighting!!

I’ve seen a couple of cars almost completely plastered with “pro-life” bumper stickers—and I mean almost completely, as in you could barely tell what color the car was.  I’m surprised that’s even legal.

This reminds me of this stupid red pickup that has blown past me multiple times.  There is this flag in the back window.  One that initially I thought was religious in nature.  Because there is a white cross on it.  Led to my rantings about Jesus not speeding.  Then I did a bit of research.  

This is the flag (yes it is a flag) that is on the sticker on the window.  battle2.jpg.f1249f33680b3b1ef5e326c2eddca2dd.jpg

This fellow FJers is a Missouri Guard Flag.   It is a bit of a clandestine (to me not being a native of Missouri) Confederate indicator.  

https://mostateparks.com/page/55054/confederate-flags

So now when the stupid truck blows past me, that flag reminds me not to rant about racists.  

(Where is Sheldon Cooper and his fun with flags when you need him?)

Just a minor FYI, but I used to have neighbors/close friends who attended a church of Christ; she wore pants, jeans and shorts just like the rest of us did.  I went to church with them several times, and everybody there was extremely welcoming and nice. Of course, that was a lot of years ago, plus I know different parts of the country lean in different directions.

1 hour ago, SoSoNosy said:

Just a minor FYI, but I used to have neighbors/close friends who attended a church of Christ; she wore pants, jeans and shorts just like the rest of us did.  I went to church with them several times, and everybody there was extremely welcoming and nice. Of course, that was a lot of years ago, plus I know different parts of the country lean in different directions.

The only weird thing I know about the Church of Christ is that they believe you have to be baptized to get into heaven and no instruments in church. 

2 hours ago, EmiGirl said:

The only weird thing I know about the Church of Christ is that they believe you have to be baptized to get into heaven and no instruments in church. 

There's 2 divisions of the Church of Christ. There's the "non-instrumental" CoC that's more "fundie". Then there's the "instrumental" CoC that's more liberal. We attended a CoC for many years when we lived in Virginia. When we were church shopping in Arizona, there was a non-instrumental CoC not far from us and we'd visit there once a month or so. The congregation was absolutely amazing. 

My, my I’m a newbie and found this board today.  I have been chomping at the bit to write something.  I was born into a fundamentalist Pentecostal family. This may be OT for this thread, but want to get it out.

i have been thoroughly traumatized by the UPC organization.  My mom is on an online support group and wants me to blog there.  I don’t even know where to start and haven’t done it so far.

Even though they left the UPC, My family is now SUPER southern baptist and have very extreme ideas.  IE Texas should be it’s own country and Trump is a great president.  Fortunately, they didn’t have the opportunity to have a million kids.  So, there are only 3 of us.  

I am looking forward to showing what the UPC really is.

So sighting a fundie is part of my daily life :jawdrop:

Also my uncle is a pastor of a UPC church - he never got out and hasn’t realized the nonsense he is spewing - he probably never will - I find it fascinating that people can say with a straight face - everyone is going to hell but me because I follow xyz rules

On 23/09/2017 at 6:56 PM, adidas said:

I didn't search but I would guess that the twelve tribes has been written about before. I was in katoomba not long ago and got myself a bitter coffee that left an even more bitter aftertaste after I realised who I gave money to. 

Here's a write up (not by me). 

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_au/article/nnkngd/visiting-the-cafe-thats-so-good-people-ignore-its-run-by-a-cult

Oh crap - I've been to that cafe and had no idea it was fundie-run. I just passed it off as "usual Katoomba hippies".

At least I know now. 

On 9/23/2017 at 4:56 AM, adidas said:

I didn't search but I would guess that the twelve tribes has been written about before.

It's a notorious group and international.  Here's an old thread with more links:

I had two Jehovah's Witnesses come to my front door to try and save me today. Does that count?  We have a No Soliciting sign on the door, but I guess they excepted themselves.  They asked if I felt "prepared" in the face of all the recent tragedies.  I guess they were heading down the path that the hurricanes, fires, and floods were telling us to get busy because Jesus is coming?  I told them that I didn't have time for, and they politely left.

Also, I work at a natural history/science center type of place and we occasionally get a few fundie types who try to argue with us about evolution.  There is also a big homeschooling family--maybe 6-7 kids, all dressed like the Duggars of 14KAC era.  They have never said anything, but I do wonder why they come when we display actual science/evolution stuff.

On 10/7/2017 at 10:16 PM, Captain Obvious said:

Oh crap - I've been to that cafe and had no idea it was fundie-run. I just passed it off as "usual Katoomba hippies".

At least I know now. 

The small town in NC I work in has a Yellow Deli and its basically known as, even by all the fundie-lites around here, as "that place run by the cult." A coworker went by himself for lunch and they spent the whole lunch trying to recruit him and invite him to a folk dancing ceremony.

Oh, and fun fact, the church right next door was visited by the Rodriguii earlier this year :pb_lol:

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic

Archived