IGNORED

Why are fundies so anti-microwave?

Deleted08

One of the Sister Wives will not even use the toaster for some dumb reason.\

I just got big enough to beat the Pearls, I have to go buy plumbing line from the hardware store.

Guest LilaFowler

I'm pretty reliant on the microwave, but that's because I can't cook. I wish it wasn't that way. So I can't hate on the fundies for this. lol

Not all fundies, and not just fundies.

All kinds of people are scared of microwaves. Particularly those that lean towards natural health/natural living.

The various reasons I've heard include radiation, nutrition being destroyed, stuff like that.

I'd love to explain the electromagnetic spectrum to these fundies and see if they can name all the places where they get "radiation" in a day...radio, TV,microwaves, bananas....(seriously, its the highest does of radioactive potassium you will get in your life) but I think it might just make their heads explode. Ah, what I wouldn't give to teach a science class to some of these children.

One of the Sister Wives will not even use the toaster for some dumb reason.\

I remember this - she had read some statistic about toaster-generated house fires and decided she could never feel safe with a toaster in her home. Instead, she would make toast under the broiler in the regular oven. On the show, the toast burned when she forgot about it, and one of the kids said that happened all the time.

When my whole family visits, I will make breakfast toast under the broiler, because it is more efficient. Everyone gets to eat their toast at the same time.

I've heard all kinds of crazy reasons why microwaves are supposed to be unsafe - it's usually something about microwave radiation having a degenerative effect on food, so the food promotes cancer or compromises one's immune system as a consequence. Honestly, I think people who go out of their way to let you know that they don't have a microwave just want you to know that they're the kind of person who doesn't have a microwave - that is, they value things that are "natural" or "traditional."

I only use our microwave to cook potatoes, and when it breaks, I am not sure we'll need to replace it.

My friend's family doesn't use a microwave. Something about radiation, which, yeah, it's been proven that some microwaves do leak, especially older ones (like the one I've got in my room, from my grandmother.) The argument is that at one point microwaves were illegal in Russia. Actually I think my friends believe the are STILL illegal in Russia.

They don't go out of their way to tell you they're anti-microwave, but if you go to their house and wish to reheat your leftovers you will notice the lack of it.

Not everyone in the family has bought into that though: my friend's little brother has a microwave in his room.

Well, there weren't microwave ovens in the Victorian era. That's my theory.

Nor are microwaves mentioned in the KJV of the Bible or ANY of Jane Austen's books. Also - few if any microwaves have flowers or frills and I've never seen a pink microwave.

Yeah, but an awful lot of people were still cooking on hearths until late in the Victorian period too. So maybe they should get rid of their stoves, especially the electric ones. And their mixers and blenders....

Nor are microwaves mentioned in the KJV of the Bible or ANY of Jane Austen's books. Also - few if any microwaves have flowers or frills and I've never seen a pink microwave.

I have! Last year at Sears they were selling one that some of the profits were going to the Susan G. Komen foundation or something. It was in October, which I think is breast cancer awareness month?

I have! Last year at Sears they were selling one that some of the profits were going to the Susan G. Komen foundation or something. It was in October, which I think is breast cancer awareness month?

Well, at least Sherry should be able to have one then.

No, it wasn't Jessica. It was the woman with a crazy crazy website, a lot of rambling nonsense about how we worship the sun and the earth rotates around the sun; she had one daughter and possibly another on the way? I know we talked about her on the other board. She didn't have a blog as much as a website, and she was able to teach every subject from the bible.

Was it this lady?

biblicalscholarship.net/

Guest Anonymous

I think it was the bliblicalscholarship.net lady - my favourite quote for her use of the bible (from that site is) "How often does a Spanish book teach you about the dangers of libraries?" I'm still wondering how she teaches Spanish using the KJV.....

I thought the dangers of the original microwaves weren't radiation (or not in the sense of getting cancer etc) - but with faulty seals which resulted in burns etc - a manufacturing defect that was probably corrected 30 plus years ago (???) Re nutrition breakdown - I can understand this but if you overcook something in any medium, it's going to destroy nutrients. My biggest peeve with microwaves is that they can cook unevenly ... mostly I use mine to reheat leftovers or thaw stuff quickly.

BPA - they've banned its use here in baby bottles etc (it will eventually leach over time) but it's in the coating on the insides of canned goods, I believe.

Mamamcd,

You have hit on the EXACT reason why doctors tell people not to heat baby bottles in the microwave. It is because they heat unevenly and there can be hot spots in the heated milk that can be too warm for the baby. It is acually acceptable to warm up the bottle in the microwave if you shake the contents thoroughly before you test the temperature. The Academies of Pediatrics and Family Medicine decided that a simpler recommendation to just avoid the practice would be a simpler approach and less likely to end up with mishaps (and lawsuits).

I'd love to explain the electromagnetic spectrum to these fundies and see if they can name all the places where they get "radiation" in a day...radio, TV,microwaves, bananas....(seriously, its the highest does of radioactive potassium you will get in your life) but I think it might just make their heads explode. Ah, what I wouldn't give to teach a science class to some of these children.

I tried this once (on Jessica's blog) it did not go over well. I was told I was rude and had a bad attitude.

I just got big enough to beat the Pearls, I have to go buy plumbing line from the hardware store.

Me too--but I think I'll invest in a sledgehammer instead.

Darn--I kinda liked being a Vision Forum intern.

Archived