IGNORED

Why are fundies so anti-microwave?

Deleted08

Hubby said it's a conspiracy (I'm rubbing off on him lol!) but it made me wonder, why do so many fundies hate microwaves?

I wonder if it's the science aspect, they don't get how they work. It heats up water molecules in your food, not a vast conspiracy by those damned liberal feminists to get out of the kitchen lol.

What do you all think?

Fundies hate microwaves??? I had no idea lol.

We were always told to stay away from the microwave because of radiation, but I'm pretty sure that is just an urban legend or myth.

Well...fwiw recent research has shown that heating food in plastic containers can cause toxic chemicals from the plastic to leach into the food being heated. Even leaving plastic bottled water in a car that sits in the heat of the sun for a few hours can be dangerous. I'm sure the fear of microwaves has something to do with that.

Well...fwiw recent research has shown that heating food in plastic containers can cause toxic chemicals from the plastic to leach into the food being heated. Even leaving plastic bottled water in a car that sits in the heat of the sun for a few hours can be dangerous. I'm sure the fear of microwaves has something to do with that.

*plastic bottled water*

Heh, I meant bottled water - of course, the bottle is plastic, not the water.

I am not now and have never been a Fundie, but I am anti-microwave! I am 47 years old and have never owned one, I think food re-heated in them tastes, eh, not as good. I just can't see the point, I can heat my dinner in the oven in a fairly short amount of time, and while it is heating do other things.

M.

I think most fundie women are desperate for validation and issues on which to feel superior. Sitting at home, uneducated, with no entertainment or mental stimulation is fine for women who choose it, but these women have been coerced into it. It sucks, and there is no reason for it, and they can't admit that without their world crumbling around them.

There are a lot of women like me out there--I work, I go to school, I take care of my kids and keep my house presentable. That is the normal mom now; I'm not some exceptional superwoman. And flexible and at-home work arrangements are commonplace now, so the fundies cannot argue that my babies are languishing all day in daycare. It gets hard to justify your feelings of superiority if you are just kinda letting the years pass by while other people are having these cool, fulfilling lives. You have to seize on little things that make you superior--homeschooling, microwaving, hem length, hanging out laundry. They've lost the cultural war but they are not going down without a fight.

It is not "dangerous" as in it will poison you, even over time. What it is, is that plastics containing BPA can have the BPA leach out into the water/food, and put you at slightly higher risk for certain types of cancer. Now that I know about it, I stay away from it, but it's not an "OMG IT WILL KILL US ALL" sort of thing.

However, nearly every human in the US already has some BPA in their bloodstream since it's been in the foodstream for so long now.

Who was the crazy fundie who said that microwaves were bad because you couldn't see the "fire"?

Who was the crazy fundie who said that microwaves were bad because you couldn't see the "fire"?

Was it Jessica? IIRC, she had a whole post devoted to the evils of microwaves. As you can imagine, it was incredibly scholarly, and it was a brilliant piece of scientific writing.

The folks I know who eschew microwaves tend to be healthy-eating enthusiasts who point to evidence that super-heating certain foods destroys certain nutrients.

In a thread on the old board, a fundie said she wouldn't use a microwave because doctors and lab technicians didn't use them to warm up human blood. WTF? The reason they don't is because the blood would be heated too much, and unevenly. Apples and oranges much?

ETA that tehgoobster just crossposted about the same story!

Jessica's Post on teh ebil microwave (sweet baby Jesus I miss her):

Chad and I have been "microwave free" for about 4 years. I have been meaning to share with you all why I believe microwaves are dangerous for your health. Because I do not have time now to write up a lengthy post, I copied the below information from here. I only wish I would have known this from the beginning. Yes, warming foods may take you longer but you get used to it and will soon wonder why you thought you could not live without!!! This article does not go into much depth but I encourage you to do your own research. Microwaves strip vitamins and minerals from our foods and radiate them. NOT GOOD!!!

Are Microwave Ovens Safe?

Microwave ovens are now present in over 90% of American homes. They offer a fast way to prepare and reheat food, which is perfect for today's fast paced world. In fact, microwaves have become commonplace in American homes and have even replaced the conventional oven and stove-top for preparing meals. However, there has long been concern about the safety of microwave ovens. The results of some of these studies may alarm you. As you read about some of the radiation dangers associated with microwaves, you may wonder whether microwave ovens may not be safe after all, and why they are not discouraged more by the government. What Indications Can We Take from Medical Practices Consider this: Pediatricians tell parents specifically not to microwave their babies' formula. It kills whatever is good in them, in effect leaving you garbage to feed your babies. You can't precisely control the heat and can burn the babies too. Do you think that other foods are safe from this? They aren't. And in another example: In hospitals, patients are given warmed blood in their transfusions. Hospitals never heat the blood in microwaves. What's the reason? The reason microwaves are disallowed is because, in both of these examples, the microwave destroys what it heats. Microwaves don't work different ways on different substances. Whatever you put into the microwave suffers the same destructive process. Microwaves agitate the molecules to move faster and faster. This movement causes friction which denatures the original make-up of the substance. It results in destroyed vitamins, minerals, proteins and generates the new stuff called radiolytic compounds, things that are not found in nature. Did You Know? Russians have banned the use of microwaves due to the negative impact it had on people's health. A few of the effects that the Russian scientists observed included: the creation of cancer-causing agents, increased chance of cancer development, and decreased nutritional value of the food.¹ The Dangers of Microwave Radiation Obviously, the dangers of microwave radiation are very real. These devices can cause a variety of health problems in humans. Here are just a few of the possible health effects² related to microwave ovens: Electromagnetic RadiationMicrowave ovens turn some minerals into cancerous agents. Foods from a microwave may cause tumors in the stomach or intestine. This may be an explanation for the increased rate of colon cancer in America. Regularly eating microwaved foods may cause an increase in cancerous cells in human blood. The radiation dangers involved with microwaved food may cause decreased immune system function in humans. There is even a mental danger to eating foods from a microwave. Regularly doing so may cause memory loss, emotional problems, and a decrease in intelligence. A steady diet of microwave-cooked food may cause your body to shut down its hormones production. Microwave Radiation is a very serious concern that many people will overlook in order to maintain their toxic paces. Many people have not even heard of the threat of microwave cooking and heating. That doesn't make it any less harmful. In fact, that makes it all the more insidious because there are people in key positions who could bring these dangers to the forefront. As it happens, they don't. So, once again, we must look to ourselves to seek out the answers to make the best decisions that we can. We have the indicators that we need when you consider these: if it's not safe for infants and hospitals, the rest of us should steer clear of it too. How To Eliminate Radiation From Microwave OvensThe only way to completely eliminate the radiation dangers associated with microwaves is to get rid of all of your microwave ovens and never use one again. Never eating food prepared in a microwave is a sure way to avoid and negative health effects. Use convection ovens to heat your meals. They offer safe heating by circulating hot air to raise the temperature of food. Don't dismiss the traditional methods of stovetop and oven cooking and heating. It may take longer but it's definitely worth the effort. When you think you need to microwave food because you're always on the go, it may be a sign that you need to slow down and put more space in your break-neck schedule. This will help to relieve some stress too.

On the old thread I did a dissect on each and every incorrect point.

I think most fundie women are desperate for validation and issues on which to feel superior.

I agree. While people make choices all the time, fundies make a big deal of their choices. And they never say they just choose not to use a microwave,or whatever it is they choose regarding their lives. There has to be some super secret reason that they are special enough and smart enough to know while everyone else is in the dark.

When your entire life revolves around your home, kids and husband - and not by choice - you can find anything on the Internet to stimulate your brain, and the more conspiratorial it i, the smarter you feel for knowing it and doing something about it. So, since you have a blog, you shout to anyone who will read how great you are for doing this for your family thanks to your super smart and special knowledge.

I know a lot of people who don't own microwaves and the reasons vary. But, none of those people have made a big deal about it and don't tell me I need to throw mine away. One of my closest friends, who is in her 40's and has never married or had kids and would typically be a big microwave user since she's always lived alone and cooked for one - didn't get one when she was younger and just starting out because of the expense. Eventually, she just didn't bother because she didn't see the need and couldn't justify spending the money on one when she'd gotten along fine for so many years. My mom got rid of hers because she lives in an old house and the kitchen just isn't set up in a way that will efficiently accommodate one.

I agree. While people make choices all the time, fundies make a big deal of their choices. And they never say they just choose not to use a microwave,or whatever it is they choose regarding their lives. There has to be some super secret reason that they are special enough and smart enough to know while everyone else is in the dark.

When your entire life revolves around your home, kids and husband - and not by choice - you can find anything on the Internet to stimulate your brain, and the more conspiratorial it i, the smarter you feel for knowing it and doing something about it. So, since you have a blog, you shout to anyone who will read how great you are for doing this for your family thanks to your super smart and special knowledge.

I know a lot of people who don't own microwaves and the reasons vary. But, none of those people have made a big deal about it and don't tell me I need to throw mine away. One of my closest friends, who is in her 40's and has never married or had kids and would typically be a big microwave user since she's always lived alone and cooked for one - didn't get one when she was younger and just starting out because of the expense. Eventually, she just didn't bother because she didn't see the need and couldn't justify spending the money on one when she'd gotten along fine for so many years. My mom got rid of hers because she lives in an old house and the kitchen just isn't set up in a way that will efficiently accommodate one.

This....

Now, as a single person I have a microwave, (actually two, since a built in came with my house and I already had one- eventually it will go to work.) but I also go weeks without using it sometimes. (Sometimes it's forced, like when the power was out for 5 days last winter, other times it's just because everything I am eating is better heated in other ways.)

Was it Jessica? IIRC, she had a whole post devoted to the evils of microwaves. As you can imagine, it was incredibly scholarly, and it was a brilliant piece of scientific writing.

No, it wasn't Jessica. It was the woman with a crazy crazy website, a lot of rambling nonsense about how we worship the sun and the earth rotates around the sun; she had one daughter and possibly another on the way? I know we talked about her on the other board. She didn't have a blog as much as a website, and she was able to teach every subject from the bible.

I'm wondering if I missed a memo that she wasn't actually a real person. I had my doubts.

No, it wasn't Jessica. It was the woman with a crazy crazy website, a lot of rambling nonsense about how we worship the sun and the earth rotates around the sun; she had one daughter and possibly another on the way? I know we talked about her on the other board. She didn't have a blog as much as a website, and she was able to teach every subject from the bible.

I'm wondering if I missed a memo that she wasn't actually a real person. I had my doubts.

Was this the one who claimed to teach her daughter to read before she could talk, or something like that?

Guest Anonymous

Perhaps it has something to do with Taryn's exploding blue glassware (is it just the blue kind, or any glassware? Will we ever know for sure?!?!)?

Was this the one who claimed to teach her daughter to read before she could talk, or something like that?

I don't know about that, but IIRC she said her daughter's education would be done by 6.

I don't know about that, but IIRC she said her daughter's education would be done by 6.

This brings to mind the image of a 6 year old doing calculus, writing long and complicated novels, and being able to speak 10 different languages, while in her spare time copying Picasso and playing french horn, violin, and piano.

Or a 6 year old who can barely read. I personally like the idea of a super 6 year old much better.

I think it has something to do with free radicals being created by the microwave radiation--? But probably the above poster is right, the underlying issue is that the Victorians didn't have them. (The Victorians also put little boys in dresses, men in corsets, and women in crotchless underwear, but I guess emulation goes only so far.)

I love my microwave because I'm a busy mom. I can defrost the meat on the night when I actually have time to cook it, which is not something I can schedule a few days ahead because of my hectic life. I can make enough rice for three days and reheat as needed with no scorching. Pasta with meat sauce and a side of veggies requires three burners of a certain size and I only have two. Solution: put the vegetables in the microwave instead.

That said, I agree with people who don't like cooking in plastic. It picks up smells and certain leftovers, such as milk proteins, just don't like to come off it. Plus I tried one of those shelf-stable microwaveable meals the other day and my food smelled like plastic! :bleah IMO if you can smell the hot plastic, whatever is in it is not going to be good for you anymore. I microwave in Pyrex instead.

Wow, that's a new one on me! Who'd a thought? I have an old clunker of a microwave, one of those monstrously BIG ones that I inherited from a friend who was moving. It's moved to four homes now, but in a way, I wish I could get rid of it. It takes up a ton of space on my reinforced wire kitchen shelf, which could be better used for actual usable space instead.

I usually use it to re-heat up cups of tea or coffee, but have been doing a backward-way of heating items; I put the whole plastic container in a pan of water and heat up the whole thing on the stove, thereby less dirty dishes and the food cooks much better that way. I discovered a better way of melting butter for popcorn, just put the butter in a Pyrex measuring cup in a pot of water and it melts it way better than the microwave and there's no spattering like in the microwave, either. Sometimes, the old ways are better...not that the fundies have a corner of that, though.

This brings to mind the image of a 6 year old doing calculus, writing long and complicated novels, and being able to speak 10 different languages, while in her spare time copying Picasso and playing french horn, violin, and piano.

Or a 6 year old who can barely read. I personally like the idea of a super 6 year old much better.

Anna Duggar said in on of the episodes that you learn 90% of what you'll ever need by the time your 5. Her explanation? That the brain is 90% developed by the time your 5... The other 10% must be slow in coming since your brain is still developing well into your 20's.

Archived