Coconut Flan

8 hours ago, freejoy said:

Joy said she was just home anyways doing nothing.

My ears picked up with that also.  I think there is a lot of staying at home doing nothing in that house. I cannot imagine how futile that would be. And it's not that they stay home and do nothing. IT is that the activities allotted to them are few. You can read, bake, clean, sew, garden. And then okay you might be okay with that , but if you want to sew or garden you have to ask dear old dad at 26 for seed money to start that garden? Or money for fabric and notions ?NO money no options. 

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Fluffy14 said:

IT is that the activities allotted to them are few. You can read The Bible and just about only the Bible, bake, clean, sew Modest Clothing Only, garden. 

All other books and patterns must be cleared by Boob and Ofboob.

[bolding mine, of course]

Had to add some details about the TTH. Even their meager options are further limited by their parents' insane cult rules.  Can't have someone reading something that will make them think outside the Bible!  Or creating clothes outside of their godly rules!  

Jinger is only now discovering books for personal enjoyment and growth; Jessa prefers books in closets; Jill struggled to name a favorite beyond Waiting for Prince Charming. The Duggar household does not encourage reading.  How stultifying for developing adults. 

I was talking to a nurse who works in a sexual health clinic, and she said the thing that REALLY gets a subset people angry is asking the follow up question to "are you sexually active", is the "are you having sex with men or women?".  I think that's super-important to ask - I've been asked "are you sexually active?" without them ever considering I might be gay. 

The worst thing was being asked if I was using contraception, and when I said no, immediately getting a lecture I had to interrupt with "...because I'm a lesbian".  But I was in my early 30s at the time, I could have be trying for a baby, if I was straight, so the idea that sex+no contraception=irresponsible was a weird one.

(I think part of the weirdness is how some people don't consider 2 women to be able to "have sex".  It's on the same part of the spectrum as considering heterosexual oral and anal sex to be "not sex" - but then these people don't have words for what they think it is, if it's not sex)

DIL is Rh-, wolf boy is +. She miscarried the first grand wolf, had to have a D&C. They didn't give her the shot right away. We were all worried, but grand wolf turned out OK. She changed OBs after that debacle.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived