IGNORED

Dillards 32: To VBAC or not to VBAC

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

@JaedziaI'm so very sorry for your family's loss. And I'm sorry if my question brought up any bad memories or feelings for you. :romance-caress:

It's cool, thank you. I think about my third niece at times. She was named and buried with love. I'm glad my second niece lived. My second niece has told me she thinks about her sister a lot. They would have been only about 18 months apart in age. It was a dark time in my family but its passed like all things do. My father at the time was recovering from being run over in Washington DC. Like I said a dark time in the my middle of my adolescent years, but life goes on. :) Thanks. 

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

Technically, 37 weeks is no longer considered full term. 39 weeks is full term. 37-38 weeks, 6 days is now called "early term". I don't remember the exact stats but babies born at 39 weeks are significantly less likely to experience breathing problems than babies born two weeks earlier.

Agreed-

It's also my understanding a lot of the new labeling is to prevent elective deliveries before 39 weeks.

I've been told at 37 weeks they wouldn't stop my labor, and in my state 37 weeks qualifies for an out of hospital/birth center birth- so although it's "early term" it's still within a medically acceptable range.

edited to add: not  intending to indicate it's the perferred rage.

Big babies do not mean mature babies or babies with stable respiratory neurologic function.

IDMs (infants of diabetic mothers) are often huge and so immature. 

I've not ever seen a mother have an elective c-section at 37 or even 38 weeks because the baby was too large- never. I think few doctors would risk that treatment.

Babies at that gestational age can revert back to fetal circulation and become among the sickest and most fragile babies in the NICU.

9 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

Poor (big) little guy. 

I hope in 20 years he sees this picture his Dad showed the world of him in all of his newborn naked screaming glory and punches him in the ballsack. 

To be fair, a lot of my baby pictures are me screaming and/or mostly naked, and my parents, while not perfect, are pretty great people (though my mom owes me a lot of hours of therapy for the horrendous early 90s getups she trussed me up in for photos). I think a baby's natural state is naked and screaming. And honestly, were I not fettered by social convention, I too would scream incoherently about things that displeased me, and wear far less clothing.

4 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm officially done trying to stay up to date on all the current definitions for pregnancy related terms. :pb_lol:

Ha, I only know that random fact because my doctor happened to mention it while we were discussing induction. My hospital was pretty strict about letting baby develop as long as possible and actually would not schedule an induction before 41 weeks unless there was some risk to mother or baby, which in my case, there wasn't. My kid just didn't want to come out!

Samuel looks like he could walk out of the hospital.

Jill will get C sections until a doctor decides she needs a hysterectomy after one of them.

Were Jed and Jer really a vaginal delivery?

Returning to the laundry thread drift, I use and like the Duggars' detergent recipe. It's saved me a lot of money. I also always hated lugging detergent home from the store.

35 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Big babies do not mean mature babies or babies with stable respiratory neurologic function.

I've not ever seen a mother have an elective c-section at 37 or even 38 weeks because the baby was too large- never. I think few doctors would risk that treatment.

Babies at that gestational age can revert back to fetal circulation and become among the sickest and most fragile babies in the NICU.

I'm 39 weeks 2 days preggers and I'm being induced tomorrow. I have GD so I've been getting weekly ultrasounds for the past 7 weeks to check his progress and keep an eye on his size, which is what Jill should have done. Although like Jill, my hubby is very tall so we are expecting a big baby regardless. 

I wonder if Sam was late? Wasn't Izzy like ten days late? With GD, you have to keep an eye on the placenta and my doctor recommended I schedule induction bc going past 40 weeks could be dangerous. 

Oh Jill, please stop, wait, and think before having another child.  Be here, healthy and alive for the children you have. Sounds like two traumatic births in a row is two to many. You sons need you.

2 minutes ago, SuchABlessing said:

I'm 39 weeks 2 days preggers and I'm being induced tomorrow. I have GD so I've been getting weekly ultrasounds for the past 7 weeks to check his progress and keep an eye on his size, which is what Jill should have done. Although like Jill, my hubby is very tall so we are expecting a big baby regardless. 

I wonder if Sam was late? Wasn't Izzy like ten days late? With GD, you have to keep an eye on the placenta and my doctor recommended I schedule induction bc going past 40 weeks could be dangerous. 

Congrats and good luck on your induction. Both of my kids were post dates and the first one was induced. I did not have GD.

38 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I had a former friend who has 4 kids (though knowing her spacing she probably has another on the way) and all were delivered early because her doctor said they were getting too big. Weird thing is they all were peanuts. Personally I thought she was crazy for wanting to be induced at 36 and 37 weeks. Her last birth ended up being a section (prob because the kid didn't want to come out yet) and she had major complications with her incision. She didn't want to stop having kids though. This is in Canada.

44 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Both of my cousin's kids were born via C section at around 38-39 weeks for that reason. She didn't have gestational diabetes either.

Just now, Californiacicle said:

I had a former friend who has 4 kids (though knowing her spacing she probably has another on the way) and all were delivered early because her doctor said they were getting too big. Weird thing is they all were peanuts. Personally I thought she was crazy for wanting to be induced at 36 and 37 weeks. Her last birth ended up being a section (prob because the kid didn't want to come out yet) and she had major complications with her incision. She didn't want to stop having kids though. This is in Canada.

No respiratory issues? If not, she was lucky.

So just for curiosity's sake, what do doctors look at when they decide a woman needs a c-section? I honestly have no idea. Why is VBAC dangerous ?

There is medicine that can be given before (like a day) a mom delivers that can jump start a baby's lung function. I doubt many doctors are giving that out at 37 weeks though.

It seems lots of moms want those babies out at 37-38 weeks.

It's a dangerous practice.

11 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

So just for curiosity's sake, what do doctors look at when they decide a woman needs a c-section? I honestly have no idea. Why is VBAC dangerous ?

A Vbac is dangerous bc the uterus isn't as stable. As compared to a first time mom's uterus, a Vbac candidate will have a uterus that has a lot of scar tissue and that is potentially weaker and subject to tearing from the previous incision. 

Also my doc has considered me for a c section and it's not off the table yet. For me, they're looking at the size of the baby's head and if it will be too big for my birth canal. Also I have a history of back problems and arthritis in my pelvis so I'm going to try for natural labor with the knowledge that at any point we can be like "this isn't working I want a c section"

3 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

A c-section requires cutting into the uterus to extract the baby. Cutting and stitching weakens the uterus and lives it prone to rupture.

C-sections are done for many reasons: distress, bleeding, malpresentation, maternal issues, failure to progress. It can be an issue with either the mom or baby.

My hope, after this birth, is this conversation:

Jeremy:  Babe, it doesn't have to be like this.

Jinger:  What, Babe? You mean I can have an epidural and be in a hospital with qualified medical professionals?

Jeremy:  Babe, I will ensure you get proper prenatal, perinatal, and postnatal care.

Jinger:  Babe, what's that?

Jeremy:  Oh Babe, I've just saved you from a lifetime of horrors.

Wow, another c-section. Hopefully Jill and Derick will be very careful about future babies!

I had a feeling this kid would clock in at nine pounds. 

Ah. Interesting. I never really thought about it. My Ma said she had my brother and I by c-section because the doctor said she was too short to deliver nornally and basically didn't give her a choice .

I wonder if this will change Jill's outlook on birth. Will she still insist on at least trying to labor it out first or will she agree to a scheduled c-section

4 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

My hope, after this birth, is this conversation:

Jeremy:  Babe, it doesn't have to be like this.

Jinger:  What, Babe? You mean I can have an epidural and be in a hospital with qualified medical professionals?

Jeremy:  Babe, I will ensure you get proper prenatal, perinatal, and postnatal care.

Jinger:  Babe, what's that?

Jeremy:  Oh Babe, I've just saved you from a lifetime of horrors.

I have hope that Jeremy won't let Jinger go the route of her sisters with no prenatal care or medical help during labor. He's too worldly to even contemplate being so stupidly reckless with his wife or child's health 

1 minute ago, SuchABlessing said:

I have hope that Jeremy won't let Jinger go the route of her sisters with no prenatal care or medical help during labor. He's too worldly to even contemplate being so stupidly reckless with his wife or child's health 

Funny, people said exactly the same thing about Derick.

I do hope Derrick allows Jill a suitable amount of time to recover before whisking her off to Central America. 

Like most everyone else, I figured this would happen.  Unfortunately, I don't think it will slow them down; she'll probably continue to not use contraception, forego prenatal care, attempt VBACs, and have c-section after c-section until either she can't get pregnant anymore or an adverse event occurs and she winds up with a hysterectomy. Because of EMTALA, any hospital she shows up at while in labor will have to treat her, but it will likely be an increasingly bumpy ride with each subsequent pregnancy.

I'm less concerned about the repeated c-sections and way more concerned about them in combination with no prenatal care, but she's clearly competent to make bad life decisions, so.

3 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

I do hope Derrick allows Jill a suitable amount of time to recover before whisking her off to Central America. 

which would be December?

The older children have grown up watching Michelle give birth in hospitals with real gen u wine Doctors and Went through the Josie ordeal.  Let's not carried away here :)  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived