IGNORED

Dillards 32: To VBAC or not to VBAC

Coconut Flan

Heart and pulse ox monitors, IV line and oxygen, something didn't go right.  Hopefully whatever it was they both end up ok.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

O2 and an IV- baby is clearly getting more than routine care.

And he is huge.

My kids were 1.5 months old before they were that big.

I noticed the oxygen and such do you know the usual reasons for that? None of my babies had that treatment. 

Geez I'm so glad they are both okay. I was having serious anxiety she wouldn't go to the hospital. On a side note though not to be dark or dramatic but childbirth has been dangerous for centuries, many women lost their lives so it could be so much worse than a c section.

I hope they are enjoying the new baby and healing without any disappointment. On a side note has anybody read any Skeptical OB articles regarding childbirth? Just curious. She has a boatload of really informative statistics regarding childbirth. Hopefully they don't push it with the c sections, the risk is uterine rupture with too many. 

I think 19 kids is way too many to give them all the attention they need.... Maybe they will go on to have 3 or 4 that they can give the proper attention to.

That's one mahoosive baby! I know that Izzy was longer but jesus! That's huge. I know she didn't push Sammy out but I crossed my legs and winced in pain just thinking about it. 

3 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

Heart and pulse ox monitors, IV line and oxygen, something didn't go right.  Hopefully whatever it was they both end up ok.

Another botched  attempt of a delivery at home, Jill? 

My goodness, he might actually fit in the outfit from the gender reveal!

4 hours ago, meee said:

snip snip snip

And I agree that GD is a possibility.  I wonder if, next time around (because we know there will be a next time), if she is adequately monitored, she could manage a VBA2C of, say, a 37-week induced 6-pounder.

I only hope they leave it Jesus if it within the realm of possiblity that they would force a child to be born early so she can try for vaginal birth.  I think at 37 weeks it's just your lungs that arent' fully developed.  God forbid that she would prioritize her vagina over a child. 

3 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I noticed the oxygen and such do you know the usual reasons for that? None of my babies had that treatment. 

Resp distress...maybe some retained amniotic fluid d/t being born c-section....O2 helps with that

IV could be for glucose- if Jill had GD being born could cause baby's BS to bottom out, or for antibiotics d/t presumed infection. In the Nicu we would draw blood cultures and send other blood samples to R/O infection,  but start antibiotics until those cx results came back. When babies are infected they can deteriorate rapidly. I'd assume antibiotics as I do not remember seeing a fluid bag attached to that line.

1 minute ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Only thing I can think is if he's having trouble breathing, which is what happened with my nephew (born full-term.)  My daughter forgot how to breathe shortly after her birth and required time on a machine during her first hour in NICU. 

@bananabreadUsually I'd agree, but given the stuff @SassyPants pointed out I'm not judging. We don't know if they've had the chance to take a better photo yet or if they've been able to see Samuel. Derick looks pretty happy and was likely just really excited to show his new baby off.

1 minute ago, Greendoor said:

I only hope they leave it Jesus if it within the realm of possiblity that they would force a child to be born early so she can try for vaginal birth.  I think at 37 weeks it's just your lungs that arent' fully developed.  God forbid that she would prioritize her vagina over a child. 

37 weeks is considered full-term. So the lungs would likely be considered developed enough for baby to do fine outside the womb. Anything earlier is considered premature and the mother would likely receive at least one steroid injection to help with lung development (I was supposed to get two, but baby was born too fast for the second injection.)

One of my best friends had three miscarriages 18-20 weeks (all boys). They finally figured out exactly the issue and she went on to have four c-sectioned boys. She joked about trying until she had a girl, I mean after seven boys she figured she was due... Number five ended up being a c- sectioned girl.  We all let her know how scared we were for her with the last several pregnancies but she assured us the doctors said she had pretty good tissues, placental placement, good locations of scars, etc. She was told she could have one more section but after that she would need to find a new doctor. Luckily her husband put his foot down and since she finally had a girl she seemed pretty accepting. 

FJ doesn't like us to armchair diagnose from pics, as I got recently reminded :my_cool:. Their new post says they're doing well so hopefully something easily remedied. Sassypants hit on what I would have guessed.

2 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

FJ doesn't like us to armchair diagnose from pics, it could be 100 different things from the most easy to requiring longer care. Their new post says they're doing well so hopefully something easily remedied.

Well...I was an NICU nurse for 35 years. I've seen it all. I feel pretty confident on these vary generic suggestions- I've seen it thousands of times.

Based on that photo, SSD is stable, at this point. Of course, things often change and quickly with babies.

I wish them only the best and a speedy recovery. Poor Jill can.not.catch.a.break in this arena.

O2 isn't odd after a section and many of the facilities I've worked in use the rest of the monitors in even the healthiest of vaginal births. I don't have any idea with the IV. There are a million things it could be and, honestly, many of those aren't really a big deal. Heck, for all we know Jill could be sick right now and it is purely preventative. His color looks good and that looks like a strong cry! Hope all are doing well!

There is a fluid bag lower left. Not hung yet. Does he have 3 IVs? R arm, l hand, heel all appear to have tubes and lights...or are some of those O2 monitors? I thought just the i.mobilized arm had tbe iv but am unsure.Not trying to armchair diagnose. Just curious about the apparatus.

3 minutes ago, Kjaerringa said:

There is a fluid bag lower left. Not hung yet. Does he have 3 IVs? R arm, l hand, heel all appear to have tubes and lights...or are some of those O2 monitors? I thought just the i.mobilized arm had tbe iv but am unsure.Not trying to armchair diagnose. Just curious about the apparatus.

The thing on the foot is likely just a monitor. My daughter had something like that on her foot as well and I believe the Nurses told us it was an O2 monitor (I don't remember a lot of specific details. It was a rough period of time for me.)

15 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

37 weeks is considered full-term. So the lungs would likely be considered developed enough for baby to do fine outside the womb. Anything earlier is considered premature and the mother would likely receive at least one steroid injection to help with lung development (I was supposed to get two, but baby was born too fast for the second injection.)

Technically, 37 weeks is no longer considered full term. 39 weeks is full term. 37-38 weeks, 6 days is now called "early term". I don't remember the exact stats but babies born at 39 weeks are significantly less likely to experience breathing problems than babies born two weeks earlier.

3 minutes ago, Kjaerringa said:

Nope, just the one line. If he needed multiple lines, he'd be flat on his back and have lines into either his umbilical vein or artery, or both.

What I do not like about this photo is that DD is still in what looks like his OR apparel. SSD most have been in distress from the get go to already have an IV in place.

Poor (big) little guy. 

I hope in 20 years he sees this picture his Dad showed the world of him in all of his newborn naked screaming glory and punches him in the ballsack. 

How many c-sections did Michelle have? Were they back to back? None of her babies were as big as Jill's, right?

I hope Jill isn't thinking that this isn't a big deal just because her mother had so many babies. I can see Jill thinking 'well my mother had c-sections and she kept going...'

1 minute ago, adidas said:

How many c-sections did Michelle have? Were they back to back? None of her babies were as big as Jill's, right?

I hope Jill isn't thinking that this isn't a big deal just because her mother had so many babies. I can see Jill thinking 'well my mother had c-sections and she kept going...'

Michelle's C-sections= Jana/JD; Jackson; Jordan; Josie????were there more???

And I think Jessa was 9lbs-14ozs.

37 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

O2 and an IV- baby is clearly getting more than routine care.

everyone answered for me :D 

2 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

Technically, 37 weeks is no longer considered full term. 39 weeks is full term. 37-38 weeks, 6 days is now called "early term". I don't remember the exact stats but babies born at 39 weeks are significantly less likely to experience breathing problems than babies born two weeks earlier.

I'm officially done trying to stay up to date on all the current definitions for pregnancy related terms. :pb_lol:

2 minutes ago, adidas said:

Jessa was her biggest. She was right around the ten pound mark. Most of her births were vaginal. I believe four were c-sections though (I know her first set of twins and Josie were sections.)

Michelle only had the one c-section until she got to the later babies. I think Jackson was her next c-section in order. Then Jordyn (IIRC), and obviously Josie. So four, total, but not up front like Jill except for JD/Jana. 

Yes, Jessa was around 9lb. 15oz. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived