IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Back in Arkansas?

Coconut Flan

If an adult person actually thinks Israel is filled with people riding camels and living in tents their dumbass needs to 1) Read a book, any book, 2) watch the news once a year, and 3) not go to Israel until they've done the previous two

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

If an adult person actually thinks Israel is filled with people riding camels and living in tents their dumbass needs to 1) Read a book, any book, 2) watch the news once a year, and 3) not go to Israel until they've done the previous two

My thoughts exactly. Who in the Sam hell is their target market? There are people who think when they get to Israel there will be a nativity scene in the desert and that's about it? Holy fuck. No pun intended. 

1 hour ago, nickelodeon said:

According to their web site, One For Israel's evangelism particularly targets Holocaust survivors in Israel. y i k e s

I'm physically sick. Mind. Fucking. Blown. I just can't. 

2 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

According to their web site, One For Israel's evangelism particularly targets Holocaust survivors in Israel. y i k e s

That is disgusting! They surely cannot be successful???? And the group of their victims is only very small. I mean those people are around 80 now. A lot of them have died in the last years. 

This is quite a problem for education programs working with contemporary witnesses.

Ugh.  After spending three hours visiting the National Holocaust Museum, it makes me want to send every member of One for Israel there for a mandatory visit.  How dare they! 

2 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

what the ever-loving fuck

6 hours ago, Mela99 said:

They go to Israel to convert Jewish people . . . 

Tbh I'm surprised they don't make more pilgrimages to Rome to convert the Catholics.

That's probably why Vatican city has its own police/militia thing - place would be neck deep in 'missionaries' otherwise.

Here's the thing I don't get though: supposedly the USA has the single largest population of inbound missionaries of any place in the world. I know its a MASSIVE place, but I do sometimes wonder, how come there aren't other random sects sending at least the odd missionary to harass them and theirs and try to persuade them to be the 'right' flavour of Christian?

5 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

...'cos they clearly didn't get it bad enough - sheesh Louise!

5 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

That is beyond vile. If they remained strong in their faith and tradition despite FUCKING HITLER, they sure as HELL won't listen to a bunch of assholes trying to convert them.

That's the eloquent way to put it. I was thinking on choose lines and the gobshiteyness of it just shocked my brain to a halt and it wouldn't move. Is gobshiteyness a word? Who cares - it applies here!

5 hours ago, danni9242 said:

I thought Switzerland was their honeymoon? Is this part of it or are they down to serious business now driveby evangelising?

I guess if we HAVE to have evangelising, at least drive through would contain it - rather than have folks leap out at you while you're out shopping and stuff.

Ugh. Just Ugh.

I guess you have to expect this coming from Jill's daughter.

6 hours ago, CinnaJen said:

Ugh.  After spending three hours visiting the National Holocaust Museum, it makes me want to send every member of One for Israel there for a mandatory visit.  How dare they! 

The Holocaust Museum was one of the sites we visited in D.C,  Both grandkids didn't finish the tour.  Their mom brought them out to stay with me and those little kiddies were deeply affected by what they saw.  It only took a small amount of the tour to make an impression on them.  All of us are ebil Catholics and granddaughter is a Mass server at church.

10 minutes ago, NewOrleansLady said:

The Holocaust Museum was one of the sites we visited in D.C,

It's on my list for the next time we're there. 

I did, however, tour Dachau Concentration Camp when I lived in Europe. Holy shit. One of the most moving things I've ever experienced. It's silent. Totally quiet. No birds, no insects, and people barely murmuring.

I've always said if everyone in the world had to visit a concentration camp, there'd be no more hatred.

31 minutes ago, NewOrleansLady said:

The Holocaust Museum was one of the sites we visited in D.C,  Both grandkids didn't finish the tour.  Their mom brought them out to stay with me and those little kiddies were deeply affected by what they saw.  It only took a small amount of the tour to make an impression on them.  All of us are ebil Catholics and granddaughter is a Mass server at church.

I was in D.C. last week, hubby had a work conference and I have family in the area so was able to visit some of the museums.  I saw many young children in the Holocaust museum and I couldn't imagine bringing my 9 and 12 year old just yet.  We are sensitive souls, I was in tears at the sight of the first exhibit and several times throughout the museum.  It was a sobering experience to say the least and took a few days to process.  I don't think I realized how deeply it would affect me.  We are also ebil Catholics and while I'm not particularly religious, I definitely said a few prayers after my visit. 

9 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Joy never got past the Wisdom Booklet on Bankruptcy Law to take the next step in her education: Israel Is In Fact Rather Cleverer Than We Give It Credit For: Here's Why!

As for these people going to Israel to try and convert Holocaust survivors...WOW. Wonder if any of the Bible-wielding kids on board the One For Israel bus bothered to take a trip to Yad Vashem and broaden their minds first? Hah. Why am I even bothering to ask that question.

10 hours ago, nausicaa said:

To point 1, Israel being full of camels sounds like the sort of guide book John Schraeder would write. It fits with his ideas of sub-Saharan Africa. :my_confused:

I have not been to the Holocaust Museum in DC. I don't think I could get through it...reading the Diary of Anne Frank almost destroyed me. Pictures alone affect me to my soul...The horrible things that were done all because of some deranged fucker who was a racist fuck (sounds familiar unfortunately). 

The Duggar spawn only see people as possible targets to turn them into their type of Christian. They don't bother learning a damn thing about history, and they have NO respect for other cultures. Typical white-bread american christian...dumber than a box of rocks and too damn dumb to realize it. 

God I hope I made sense...Vicodin and Flexeril are great for pain relief but lousy for thinking. 

48 minutes ago, Palindrome said:

Wonder if any of the Bible-wielding kids on board the One For Israel bus bothered to take a trip to Yad Vashem and broaden their minds first? Hah. Why am I even bothering to ask that question.

It's well worth the visit. I went both times I was in Israel. It's very moving. I haven't been to the one in D.C. since I was a kid. My grandmother has given talks there, so I went to those.

@SapphireSlytherin I don't think I could handle a concentration trip visit. The horrors are just too much.

I don't have faith in any of the fundies to be fully impacted by any Holocaust museum and understand the horror. They'd just prattle on about abortion and Jesus.

Ugh, the thought of a bunch of assholes trying to convert holocaust survivors pisses me off sooooooo much. It makes me want to punch something.

My alma mater as well as back in grade school had events where they'd invite holocaust survivors. It was such a surreal and somber experience that I will forever be thankful for. So reading missionaries programs (which as a practicing Christian always made me feel eeky) that are trying to do that piss me off greatly.

I went to the museum in Rwanda commemorating the genocide there and it was deeply saddening. I came down with a fever the same day so my memories are a little blurred. But I definitely remember seeing the open mass burial of small children's coffins and it broke my heart.

We were staying with an evangelical nonprofit in their residence and a group of American teens came on a mission trip. I've never been to a country where more people asked me to go to church with them. Literally 95% of the county is Christian (although half are ebil Catholics because of Belgian colonialism). I went to one protestant service in English where they had an Australian woman lecture the congregation on coping with trauma based on her personal story of abuse as a child. While I absolutely respect her knowledge as a survivor and felt awful about her experiences, she should not have positioned herself as an expert in the context of mass trauma from genocide. I heard so many gut wrenching stories of unbelievable suffering... No one should try to convert or lecture to these survivors, no matter what their background is.

The neo-colonial aspect of missionary work in these contexts  is particularly heinous.

Are they going to Israel to convert Jews or culturally appropriate  appreciate Jewish culture? Oh wait, it's probably both. 

Evangelical Christian Zionists are the worst. They literally have no critical thinking skills. 

I especially hate missioncations into regions with complicated/ sensitive histories that they do not comprehend. 

There was a chap in a nursing home I used to care for (long since dead). I will never forget how, in the bath (I was his Auxiliary if ever a male nurse wasn't around I would sit in with him in case he slipped - I'd sit on the looseat and we'd talk for the most part), he would always catch his breath for a second and look away when soaping his left arm - he had a number tattoo from the concentration camp where he was a PoW.

11 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

That's probably why Vatican city has its own police/militia thing - place would be neck deep in 'missionaries' otherwise.

Sorry for the nitpicking but it's Italian police and carabinieri that for the most part grant the Vatican City security. Pilgrims are millions every year and Vatican City's militia numbers and jurisdiction are both extremely limited.

7 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I did, however, tour Dachau Concentration Camp when I lived in Europe. Holy shit. One of the most moving things I've ever experienced. It's silent. Totally quiet. No birds, no insects, and people barely murmuring.

I visited Dachau on a school trip when I was fourteen and it was heartwrenching. I had a sensation very similar to the one I have when going through WWI trenches on the Alps: the earth itself is scarred there, the shadow left by death, sufference and utter desperation will never go away from that place.

I went to the Anne Frank annex and to the Dachau concentration camp. As a result of walking through the gas chamber, I have a phobia of certain showers. It didn't show up right away. It was years later. A certain shower gave me a flashback, and now I have a bizarre shower door and shower curtain phobia. I'm obviously super sensitive. 

6 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

As a result of walking through the gas chamber

You're right. That one "sneaks up on you" and you don't realize where you are for a split-second. I freaked out.

The "convert the 80 year old Holocaust survivors" thing just seems especially callous, as well as stupid.  People who've survived so much, coming to the end of their lives, and you're going to tell them they're going to hell?  When they literally lived through hell?

It's also so bizarre.  If you're going after anyone connected with wartime atrocities, at least tracking down prison guards and people who profited off the horrors at least could be seen to have some purpose, if I squint at it, whereas I literally can't see what going after survivors achieves.  (though now I'm imagining Burris getting evangelised... :evil-laugh:)

I have not visited Europe, but in Cambodia there are memorials to their Genocide that are deeply shocking and saddening.

The genocide museum in Phnom Penh sits in a school that was converted into a prison. It displays photographs of thousands of the victims, with much of the interior remaining untouched since it was abandoned. Having their faces, seeing what they went though there is awful. From memory, less than 10 people survived that prison. Of those alive today, there is one man who returned every day to meet visitors and sign copies of the book he wrote about his experience.

The other main site visited by many is known as the Killing Fields. Mass Graves of the tens of thousands executed. When it was uncovered, a decision as made to leave the graves to preserve them for the future.  Shards of bone are visible  everywhere. It's impossible to describe  the scale. Of those that had been exhumed, many of their skills have been placed in a shirne in the centre. Again, explaining the scale is impossible.

Both sites are humbling and profound. I remember being confused why I wasn't crying, but I think it was because it was so difficult to understand how and why this could happen. It's probably the one part of my trip I tend not to talk about with others, but it would be one of the main things I recommend others to see while there. Understanding the culture and history of a country, especially a nation like Cambodia that is so different to any Western county and the more developed Asian nations.

The fundies trying to convert Jews in Israel doesn't bother me. I kind of respect the hutzpah. Maybe Derrick and Jill should go to Vatican City to convert Catholics? 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived