Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, bekkah said:

I have met him! He is smoking hot. 

I'm jealous! He's is gorgeous! 

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I would marry Jamie Fraser in a heartbeat if he was a real person. 

I'm still front of the queue! Called it a few pages back!! Race you to the stones!

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I would marry Jamie Fraser in a heartbeat if he was a real person. 

Same here.  

32 minutes ago, flycat said:

Missioncation for the honeymoon! How beautifully fundy of them.

I honestly forgot that this was a thread about Joy and Austin and was wondering what that has to do with Outlander/when the heck Claire and Jamie went on a missioncation.

I'd like to say thank you to all the posters for the cheese thread drift. You have motivated me to make cottage cheese with the extra milk sitting in my fridge. :thumbsup-cheese:

Looks like a cap sleeve shoved up onto her shoulder. You can also see that Austin rolled up his sleeve, so she's just being a good submissive wifey (dear Rufus, I hate that word...said with total sarcasm).

It was probably ungodly hot.  I just hope she wasn't wearing another hedious denim skirt.  Get that girl a pair of shorts already. 

IMG_4939.thumb.PNG.d7015c69423ad2bd771cf6eb66a1dd37.PNG

Those poor heathen donkey-riding, tent-dwelling Jews are just crying out to be "saved" by Joy and Austin! 

Please don't mistake Outlander for more than it is: a romance series set in the past with few remarks about history that aren't too accurate. This series is portraying physical abuse in a romantic way. Who would really want to be married to a man who will spank you (if you are not into stuff like this) to save or punish you?????? That sounds very much like training into obedience. We just don't care because we are lucky enough that this is not happening to us. If this would happen to your best friend would still want to marry her husband? Would you not be bothered if she tells you she is so in love with him? 

It is fine to enjoy stuff like this on the telly but to act like you would really want that in real life is wrong (except you really want that/ you like harder stuff but then it is not abuse because there are rules and consent). 

Maybe I just get worked up on this because the books were bad enough it the series got a whole new almost 50 shades of grey level.

5 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

Thanks @SapphireSlytherin and @MadeItOut for the show info. Not sure it would be our genre. We've liked West Wing, True Blood, Mad Men, now Twin Peaks. 

Likely not I'm guessing. We liked all those things and haven't really kept up with outlander. The books are worth it (though 2 & 3 you kinda have to push through to get to the good stuff) & it did impress me initially that they were trying with series one to stick close to the books (except that one weird episode in season one), but that is a tricky thing to sustain. Terry Dreschbach and her team do some awesome work and there are a lot of folks either side of the camera on that one who're great people, but we just somehow haven't got stuck into it.

I'm a bit sad they were in Israel in a Missioncation tour group - I'd hoped they were doing it backpacker style, or at least like the average holidaymakers - deciding where to go, meandering through the streets discovering amazing places to eat, getting into conversations with locals etc etc, and really discovering their own places, and realising Israel is a very real place, much more complicated than "the Jews need to take back the Temple so that the Rapture can happen" Fundy approach.

But no, they're on Jesus Safari, getting to gawp at The Jews from a tour bus full of their own people, getting shunted from Bible spot to Bible spot like a weird Jesus themepark.

56 minutes ago, Lurky said:

But no, they're on Jesus Safari, getting to gawp at The Jews from a tour bus full of their own people, getting shunted from Bible spot to Bible spot like a weird Jesus themepark.

These types of "tours" make my skin crawl. Wherever we go, we're on our own, blending with the locals and doing our own thing. I can't imagine having to track my time to be sure not to miss "my bus" that's taking me to the next sanitized/safe/overpriced tourist trap. Anywhere. Well almost anywhere...

We are planning a trip to Moscow in 2019, and will likely use a tour service - mainly for the visas and the strict Russian tourist requirements. I don't want to end up in a Russian prison for stepping over a line I didn't know about.

17 hours ago, marmalade said:

Yeah, that's it. They're headed back.

They engaged with the living stones! They belong to the thread drift.

Weeeel, as far as Outlander, and non readers liking it or not... as Jamie would say, maybe so and maybe no.

Jamie is explained in the book as a man of his time, which,having come up as a child of the laird, included physical punishment for himself, his sibling, and his cohorts... to him, like it or not, it is as normal as breathing. 

There are instances where his own men are strapped across the arse with a belt to get a point across, and that point is universally "you can't do anything that would make the group unsafe"... so leaving one's sentry post, causing infiltration... belting. running away from a place of safety, arousing the attention of the British soldiers, who are hunting Jamie for murder.... belting. 

It's not what we're used to, and it's not like he's beating her for burning the porridge. In fact, in the books, there is quite a bit about "that" kind of beating of both children and women. I believe a distinction is made.  Not to mention that he also saves Rabbie MacNabb from his abusive father, and takes in the Widow MacNabb when circumstances permit.

AND Claire takes his dirk, later, and threatens to cut out his heart if he ever does such a thing again, and he swears on the holy iron that he will indeed never lift a hand to her in that way. 

Anyway, I don't believe this one passage in the books is any reason to turn away from a good story. Jamie himself explains that he believes Claire is "from a safer time" and this is needed to convince her that she must obey her leader's commands.  In this instance I agree with the story. She is a 20th century woman, and most of these things are foreign to her. She doesn't understand. in a visceral way, that Jamie is in charge. NOT a domineering husband, but definitely He Who Must Be Obeyed. (at least in terms of personal safety)

Of course, my personal opinion. The belting scene was difficult to read, but I do think it lent an air of authenticity to the book.

They go to Israel to convert Jewish people . . . 

Tbh I'm surprised they don't make more pilgrimages to Rome to convert the Catholics.

Of course, the scene right after the belting, with Dougal and the men encouraging her to sit on her sore bum, patting her on it, etc, shows that they not only condone what Jamie did, but feel it to be correct to do so. All of them were made unsafe by her action, yet when she "takes her punishment" they accept her back into the group. 

Enough from me.

7 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

Likely not I'm guessing. We liked all those things and haven't really kept up with outlander. The books are worth it (though 2 & 3 you kinda have to push through to get to the good stuff) & it did impress me initially that they were trying with series one to stick close to the books (except that one weird episode in season one), but that is a tricky thing to sustain. Terry Dreschbach and her team do some awesome work and there are a lot of folks either side of the camera on that one who're great people, but we just somehow haven't got stuck into it.

3 is one of my favorite books!! (2, well, it's a means to an end)

4 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

These types of "tours" make my skin crawl. Wherever we go, we're on our own, blending with the locals and doing our own thing. I can't imagine having to track my time to be sure not to miss "my bus" that's taking me to the next sanitized/safe/overpriced tourist trap. Anywhere. Well almost anywhere...

We are planning a trip to Moscow in 2019, and will likely use a tour service - mainly for the visas and the strict Russian tourist requirements. I don't want to end up in a Russian prison for stepping over a line I didn't know about.

I usually do a mix of both when i travel. Tour groups are nice because you don't have to worry about finding the places and lots of times you get to skip long queues. 

And by tour groups I mean non religious ones. 

9 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

According to their web site, One For Israel's evangelism particularly targets Holocaust survivors in Israel. y i k e s

That is beyond vile. If they remained strong in their faith and tradition despite FUCKING HITLER, they sure as HELL won't listen to a bunch of assholes trying to convert them.

I thought Switzerland was their honeymoon? Is this part of it or are they down to serious business now driveby evangelising?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived