IGNORED

Maxwell 10: Following the 15 minute schedule and the monthly menu

Coconut Flan

Back to the baptism, interesting that Drew in Tina preferred to sit with Goofy Anna and Scary Mary than Wonder Woman Melanie's side of the family although Drew was pictured with Melanie's nephew later.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder when Joshua will get baptized. I'm sure when he does Steve is shout it from the rooftops. Considering he is the first grandson born. 

@Coconutwater, a Baptist church near our house when I was little had an outdoor baptistry behind the church.  I always wished they'd keep it filed during the summer so we could swim in it.  Of course, they would probably have considered that sacrilegious and there would also the liability issue even though people weren't so litigious then.

One of our neighbors was baptized in the Whitewater River which is now a part of Lake Jocassee on Oconee County, SC.

Back in grade 5 or 6, all of my friends signed up for Anglican confirmation classes, so I did too.  After the second class I dropped out because it was boring, and I didn't  want to memorize stuff that wasn't for school.  My understanding is you should be baptized before being confirmed.  

Fast forward 25 years.  I get on the topic of religion with Mom, and she tells me I wasn't baptized.  So I ask her 'But you let me sign up for confirmation...what would have happened?' Her response- 'No idea...I was relieved when you quit'.

She was also likely relieved she didn't need to buy a dress for me, bake/decorate a confirmation cake, and invite people over to the house afterward.  

On 7/1/2017 at 2:36 AM, SPHASH said:

I noticed that too.  In every pic they are holding hands, even where Smug Joe is holding Calia.  Is he afraid Invisible Elissa is gonna run away?  Elizabeth Munck sure lucked out.  Does Elissa look pregnant to anyone?

It may be just that photo but the grip on her arm doesn't look loving to me at all. More controlling. And the way he is holding her hand and the angle of her arm... it gives me a really bad vibe. She can't easily disengage and move from that, at least it doesn't look like it.

5 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

It may be just that photo but the grip on her arm doesn't look loving to me at all. More controlling. And the way he is holding her hand and the angle of her arm... it gives me a really bad vibe. She can't easily disengage and move from that, at least it doesn't look like it.

ITA

It looked like his fingers were almost digging into her arm to the point where a mark could be left.

Hopefully that's just the way it looked.  It was kind of an odd pose for both of them.

4 hours ago, LadyPriss said:

My understanding is you should be baptized before being confirmed.  

This probably depends on the denomination. When I was confirmed in the United Methodist church, two people in my confirmation class were baptized immediately before our confirmation. 

This would also happen in the Catholic church and also Eastern Orthodox.

39 minutes ago, Bethella said:

This probably depends on the denomination. When I was confirmed in the United Methodist church, two people in my confirmation class were baptized immediately before our confirmation. 

I'm Methodist too.  Older kid baptisms only happen at confirmation if they weren't baptized as infants.  Adult baptisms are pretty much unheard of.

Re the diet: I hope Teri isn't trying to lose weight also. I've thought for some time ( and I don't want to get into body image issues), that Teri has looked a bit gaunt and drawn and could probably add a few pounds. It's just sad if she is on a weight-loss program because that is what the headship wants ... .

Now if she is just trying to eat more heathfully, well that's a different matter.  I watch what I eat for the most part but that diet makes me think I would be mighty hongraay!

7 hours ago, SPHASH said:

I'm Methodist too.  Older kid baptisms only happen at confirmation if they weren't baptized as infants.  Adult baptisms are pretty much unheard of.

Me, too.  And I was baptized at 13 at the Sunday service just minutes before our confirmation class ceremony.  My mother was raised Southern Baptist but thought it was important for me to understand what baptism meant before undergoing it.   

I've been defrauded by Jesse's bare legs.

I'm totally not going to judge you there - think of all the basement box jumps and 14ers he does to achieve legs like that lol.

But as I lead you toward the prayer closet, I want you to try and reflect on Jesse's heart for the unborn. The muscle that would be happy to spread hate to all women with no box jumps required. For about 5 minutes.

Then the rest of the time is yours.

I don't think Steve is that good at controlling himself. After all he quit his job because he perceived having female co-workers to be a risk of adultery. Wouldn't surprise me if he guzzled down animal crackers like there was no tomorrow.

His controlling his family's every movement is only a reaction to his not believing himself able to control himself. imho.

15 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Coconutwater, a Baptist church near our house when I was little had an outdoor baptistry behind the church.  I always wished they'd keep it filed during the summer so we could swim in it.  Of course, they would probably have considered that sacrilegious and there would also the liability issue even though people weren't so litigious then.

One of our neighbors was baptized in the Whitewater River which is now a part of Lake Jocassee on Oconee County, SC.

The difference there is that it was at a church and this was a house with a pool. I am catholic and was baptized as an infant, but I can see in your situation how it could be that way. They don't have a church so what exactly would be the problem with having a small pool party afterwards? Unless the owners of the pool said no, I see nothing wrong here. 

1 hour ago, johnhugh said:

He has fantastic legs, I don't understand why these people can't wear shorts. Nothing makes sense in Maxhell. 

Catching up with the Maxwells - dear Rufus they are actually doing things!

Thursday, we said good-bye to Anna, Mary, and John as they left for a several week ministry trip to a location we choose to leave undisclosed for the privacy of the ministry they are serving with.

For the privacy of the "ministry" or to stop us from snarking?  Keeping the location undisclosed means that the Maxwell leg-humpers aren't able to contribute cash to the so-called ministry, and I suppose that is a good thing.  Or perhaps this is a ministry to a country that doesn't allow Christian proselytizing.  Naughty, naughty, Maxwells!  I hope Anna, Mary and John don't get arrested and deported if that is the case.  I will hold the victims, the people to whom they are ministering, in my thoughts. 

Yes, I do hate dangling prepositions but Sarah can't help her appalling grammar.  I only mention it because she claims to be a writer.  Her teacher, Teri, hasn't mastered the difference between "apart" and "a part" yet.  Sigh.

Teri says:

June 25, 2017 at 6:26 am

Hadn’t thought about that. Maybe it is the longest we have been a part. 

My, Anna had a really busy day.  Bible time, exercise time, a phone call and a whole hour and a half of "work." Lunch, help Melanie for a hour with kids, "work" again until 4:00 pm.  Play with nieces. Then more Bible time, dinner and bed, I presume.  I'm just exhausted thinking about it!  She can't have "worked" for more than 5 hours tops.  I wonder if any of her tickets for computer issues are initiated by men other than her brothers . . .

Chocolate chip muffins.  Yummy.  Only for special occasions, naturally.

Teri has to spoil this upbeat mood by talking about diets.  Party pooper.   John Shrader's dad lost a lot of weight on that Fuhrman diet.  Teri really doesn't need to lose an ounce.  Steve could probably drop a few pounds safely.

Christina's baptism:  they borrowed a church with a baptismal pool for Abby's dunking.  I wonder why they couldn't do that again.  Perhaps Steve has decided the pastor is unworthy.

I was baptized and confirmed on the same day when I was 18 (Anglican) and so was my brother (Methodist).  My parents' brand of UK Baptist did not believe in infant or child baptism.  They believed only adults could make that decision.  They stopped being Baptist when I was about 3 but never had us baptized.

Sarah is going to be travelling soon!  Oh be still my heart.  On her own - or will she have to take Jesse along to enjoy God's creation too?

I'm glad Sarah mentioned poor Jesse.  He is so often ignored.

And Jesse does indeed have great legs!  

18 hours ago, socalrules said:

How could he have gotten on the point where he needed to lose 50 pounds and did do in 6 months? I wonder if Steve is eating the same food as his family or if he isn't required to stick to a two animal cracker treat diet. 

The two animal crackers thing is an ongoing joke here at FJ but the Maxwells actually eat a diet heavy on cookies, pies, cakes, cheesecake and muffins.  They do a lot of baking.   I think Steve has a sweet tooth and possibly battles his weight constantly.

IIRC, the animal crackers joke originated when Steve was on one of his regular weight loss kicks and made the whole family diet with him.  Because he is an arse like that.

However, on his birthday, when they would usually be chowing down a celebratory cheesecake (some with caramel topping and some with chocolate), he graciously allowed everyone to have 2 whole animal crackers for dessert!  

Dieting on your own birthday just sounds sad. I'm meant to be losing weight currently but you can bet I went to town on my birthday last Saturday. 

Did anyone else notice Sarah's last line in that canoeing post?  Sounded like a teaser...methinks Jesse might be secretly courting.  

And sorry Sarah, but you are not "a young person with siblings at home."  You're in your mid-30's.  

That does sound like a teaser. But I would be surprised if Jesse courts before John. Could Sarah herself be courting? (I can dream, can't I?)

3 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

Did anyone else notice Sarah's last line in that canoeing post?  Sounded like a teaser...methinks Jesse might be secretly courting.  

Driving to "southern Missouri" from Leavenworth sounds like at least 150 miles (240 km) to me-- seems kind of a long way for just a canoe day trip. Maybe there really was some courting afoot.

7 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Dieting on your own birthday just sounds sad. I'm meant to be losing weight currently but you can bet I went to town on my birthday last Saturday. 

Agree

Hasn't Steve ever heard of a cheat day?

13 hours ago, johnhugh said:

I'm defrauded by your post about Jesse's legs.:my_biggrin:

9 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

And sorry Sarah, but you are not "a young person with siblings at home."  You're in your mid-30's.  

Bahaha she's a year or two older than me and I joke i am almost middle age.

But a career, marriage & 2 babies under 3 probably age me more than Sarah living at home with her parents and nothing more challenging than keeping a dog alive. Such a waste. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived