Coconut Flan

I'm wondering if Jana wasn't getting a "vacation" before Joy married and went off to her new headship. Or Joy was getting her "training" on how to be a good slave wife.  When Joy was planning this party was this when Jana and Jessa and the tribe went to Waco?  Or was that later? 

I see Jessa is taking after her mother in having other peole do everything for her.  

Jinger can cook, so that was never one of Jessa's jurisdictions I see. 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cascarones said:

I rewatched the wedding special of Jill and Jessa's and it really reinforced how different Jill is. Married life and motherhood seem to agree with Jessa, she's softened while Jill seems flattened.

I've been thinking about this, before Jill married she was going to be a fundy midwife, she married DerWRECK and has to stop that, because she's pregnant 3 seconds later and then he hauls her off to SCA, where she's a new mom, has to give up her "career" her family her friends her culture her language, that is a lot of ANYONE to deal with let alone someone who doesn't have the coping skills. Jessa got married and stayed home, she never had aspirations of doing anything other than her hair it seems. While Jessa has blossomed in motherhood she didn't have to change anything other than her last name.  

I kind of think at times we are giving Jill too much grief because her husband is an asshole. If I stop to think about everything she had to change while everyone around here didn't do anything different she's really gotten the fuzzy end of the lolly pop. 

19 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

My question is... how would they procure birth control without the media pouncing all over it? I can only imagine how fast pics would hit InTouch of Jeremy buying condoms. He would need a contraband dealer just to get a condom. 

The internet is a magical place. If they want to buy condoms, amazon delivers. If they want to use a prescription method, they can use a mail order pharmacy.

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I see Jessa is taking after her mother in having other peole do everything for her.  

Joy needs to be front and centre to show us she is marriage material.

Although I would love to snark on jessa for making joy create spurgeons first birthday party, we have remember joy needed an in control storyline, jessa was heavily pregnant.  And also with jessa's brand you would never ever know that spurgeon is a crabby child based on every single picture she has posted but last night it made it seem spurgeon is one crabby child

who do we believe?

2 minutes ago, nst said:

Although I would love to snark on jessa for making joy create spurgeons first birthday party, we have remember joy needed an in control storyline, jessa was heavily pregnant

Plus it supposedly happened with Jinger and Jeremy were on their mini honeymoon, so it would have been not long after their wedding. I'm giving Jessa a mild break on that one! 

3 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Plus it supposedly happened with Jinger and Jeremy were on their mini honeymoon, so it would have been not long after their wedding. I'm giving Jessa a mild break on that one! 

It all goes to timelines. And again why would jinger have to call jessa on her honeymoon?

41 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

My question is... how would they procure birth control without the media pouncing all over it? I can only imagine how fast pics would hit InTouch of Jeremy buying condoms. He would need a contraband dealer just to get a condom. 

Editing: @mpheels said the online stuff while I was typing!

I also think (and may be very wrong) that most of the Duggar articles have inside sources, especially since the lawsuit. There's also a lack of paparazzi, which also helps those who are famous just live their lives. That's changing I suppose, with everyone now having cameras on their phone. I know the plain old suburbia neighborhood I grew up in shares a creek and greenspace with a rehab ranch where celebrities sometimes go to avoid attention. My parents get a courtesy call or notice by mail sometimes, asking everyone to respect privacy if "they recognize someone" and not approach with any requests for photos. Seems to have worked out nicely so far, though I do remember going mute as a teenager at Sonic while my friend gargled out the word "slushie" when a pop star asked us what was good there during the community readjustment phase. 

Maybe it's understood in their community, church, apartment complex as well.

23 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Maybe Jinge only knows how to do a very small amount of things and cooking a proper  italian meal is above her skills.  Again, homeskool fail. 

No kidding. At their wedding, she seemed unfamiliar with even the most basic pastas. I know Arkansas isn't going to have Italian food like Boston or New York, but I thought it was pretty standard fare nationwide. 

She also hadn't tried some cheeses that I thought were pretty standard selections. She ended up going with basic cheddar for their wedding cheese platter and Jeremy scoffed/sighed a little, lol.  Not that he can talk. How does a grown man not know what a cheese grater looks like? And FIVE POUNDS of cheese?! For two people?! Enjoy not pooping for awhile. He just decimated the stereotype that all Italians are great cooks. 

My son's birthday this year was when I was deep into my 3rd trimester. I got an all inclusive package at a party place because I knew that at 35 weeks I wouldn't even want to be responsible for party favors or the cake. I think that it's great that Joy did this for Jessa. 

As for the Latino grocery store,  I have no snark for that. I work in a neighborhood with a large immigrant population.  I went to 5 grocery stores including 2 chain stores trying to find a specific snack bar(that is usually readily available ). In each location I could get 12 different types of arepas and a selection of Central American pastries but not only did I sometimes encounter employees that didn't speak English I would have to explain what I was looking for. They are in an area that is 95% Spanish speaking. The grocery store appeared to have fresh produce and a good butcher.  Maybe it's the closest. Maybe it's owned by a Parishioner. Who knows.  I have no snark for that. 

57 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

He could just order them online. He's smarter than that, going to a shop and get caught. 

I can't believe I'm giving Jill the benefit of the doubt, but here goes:

About her not freaking out about blood on her nephew.

I'm an ICU/trauma nurse. I'm used to blood. I can also take over when any of my nieces or nephews gets bloody. My own kids, however? I MIGHT be able to hold it together until the crisis is over, but I'm going to shake and quiver afterwards... maybe she's that way, too.

FTR, towel rods falling do not bother me, unless they fall on me.

1 hour ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

You have Amazon, WalMart, On line pharmacies for condoms and pillsfor home delivery, it would be easy to throw a box in a cart at the store, not everyone knows who they are or cares.  Not to mention Jinger going to a doctor HIPAA laws wouldn't allow the doctor to say jack about why she was there, and you get get an Rx for pills from a family doctor, or, can  a Nurse practitioner write a script for BC? Send that to any pharmacy and HIPAA, again, will prevent the pharmacy from saying anything.  Hell she could have gone some where in Australia (even fewer people there know her) and had an IUD or BC implant put in, no shots, no monthly Rx's to fill out for 3 to 5 years and with an IUD you just go to the doc and she'll take it out when you want to start trying. 

2 minutes ago, JMO said:

Maybe it's owned by a Parishioner. Who knows.  I have no snark for that. 

That would make me really happy! I hope I didn't come across as snarky, it just came off as a very contrived storyline since they weren't buying anything they couldn't get at the mainline grocer in Laredo and they have a car.  The only thing I can think of is HEB doesn't sell rosaries, just saint candles, while the panaderia/meat market down the street from me have rosaries and free holy water available. Though its Jinjer, so not a driving force, unless they're saving the ebil Catholics from idolatry. Presumably it ties into the language learning storyline, so they could also be shopping there to practice, maybe we'll see them there again handling all transactions in Spanish!

Fun fact: in Texas grocery economics most of the smaller Spanish only speaking grocery stores have been stamped out by HEB, due to exclusive agreements with produce and meat suppliers. They followed the Whole Foods model, which viciously took out most of Austin's speciality stores (minus all of the personal lawsuits). I know back in my teen years as a grocery checker we had pins for if you were bilingual and if you weren't you could get free spanish lessons, free flu shots, got a free turkey for Thanksgiving and could up your hourly rate/get access to more hours with good report cards. 

@cascarones what is HEB? I've worked in the grocery industry for a while and have no clue what that means. 

I also think they went there because they wanted to make some type Hispanic dish, so I will go to a local Asian or Mexican grocery in town in favor of Hy-Vee or Wal Mart if I want something specific. 

2 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Amazon!  Got beat to my answer! ha!

I completely forgot there was a new Counting On episode last night. Sorry, Southern Charm on BRAVO takes precedence. #sorrynotsorry. 

21 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

@cascarones what is HEB?

The main everyday grocery store in Texas, in the south Texas region you only have HEB or super walmart/ super target, though Trader Joe's just came in, but it's viewed as very fancy pants/ speciality. https://www.heb.com/  I think there's about 300 locations in TX with test stores in AZ, LA and a few in Mexico. 

Basically like if Wegmans and Meijer got married and popped out a variety of grocery, grocery plus Walmart style babies then decided to adopt all of Whole Foods' abandoned organic suppliers. Though with Amazon buying WH, we'll see how that impacts the market.

2 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I was thinking the same thing.  There are "normal" grocery stores all over the place.  According to Dr. Google, they are all over the place, including a walmart supercenter.

Jeremy seems to know a lot of mexican "type" foods (he suggested quesadillas and fajitas), which is odd for someone that supposedly had an eyetalian upbringing.  Maybe Jinge only knows how to do a very small amount of things and cooking a proper  italian meal is above her skills.  Again, homeskool fail. 

Husband had an "eyetalian-American" upbringing - his family has been in the states since the 1920s or so, but they retained some of their Italian heritage living in Brooklyn as long as they did. He still knows dishes from other cultures - for instance, quesadillas, tacos, and burritos. The internet has made it ridiculously easy to find recipes.

And we also don't make the traditional family recipes too often anymore. Partly because they're pretty time consuming (sauce takes hours to make) and partly because it always makes way too much food for just two people... and we don't have a ton of freezer space. We actually make Mexican recipes a lot because the ones we found online are really quick and easy.

(Speaking of which, tonight is Taco Tuesday!!!! :pb_lol:)

Regarding the birth control discussion: I don't know nor do I care whether or not they're using it. That's their business. It's certainly possible they are using something... but there is no way in hell Jinger would go to a Planned Parenthood (as someone suggested.) Jinger and her family are under the impression that they straight up murder babies at Planned Parenthood. No way she'd go to one believing that to be true.

Also, saying they'd like a family in the next five years is WAY different than saying they are waiting to have kids for another five years. One flat out means they're somehow preventing pregnancy - the other is vague enough so that it's unclear whether prevention is being used or if they're just letting whatever happens happen.

2 hours ago, Antipatriarch said:

Thanks @Buzzard for these recaps!

Maybe I've misunderstood the Duggar fundie courtship constitution and bylaws... I thought they weren't allowed to say "I love you" until after they were engaged? Was Joy saying it before Austin proposed (and on camera)?

I think it was only joe and Kendra who waited until engagement... Jinger and Jeremy said it at the start of their courtship and Jill and Derick said it when she was on the book tour and he was in Nepal (through FaceTime) . I'm not sure about Ben and Jessa though

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm wondering if Jana wasn't getting a "vacation" before Joy married and went off to her new headship. Or Joy was getting her "training" on how to be a good slave wife.  When Joy was planning this party was this when Jana and Jessa and the tribe went to Waco?  Or was that later? 

Jinger can cook, so that was never one of Jessa's jurisdictions I see. 

It was before Waco because jessa was still pregnant then and in Waco she already had Henry 

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

I can't believe I'm giving Jill the benefit of the doubt, but here goes...

SNIPPITY SNIP

FTR, towel rods falling do not bother me, unless they fall on me.

My nephew has had scrapes and bumps and falls before. I never really freaked out, even when he was little or I was alone with him. I just patched him up, made sure he was ok, and that was that.

My daughter's stroller collapsed with her in it last month. I had a half-second of seeing her panicked little face before she was upside down. I stayed calm and got her back up again - husband was so panicked he accidentally dropped the dog's leash (the dog just stood there obliviously.) Velocibaby calmed down, the Doctor told us what to watch for, and we finished our walk. Baby was perfectly fine because, thankfully, we strapped her in correctly.

Hours later, I randomly burst into hysterical tears. My body had gone into shock a bit and it had finally worn off after I did what needed to be done. Seeing or believing your own child is in danger is an incredibly scary situation to find yourself in. Those feelings of absolute terror and the need to protect your child are very real, even if you later find out the danger wasn't (as Jill did.) I don't blame her at all for reacting as she did in either situation, even if it seems ridiculous to others. The fact that her first thought was to hide with her son is a good thing in my opinion because it indicates she's likely a better parent than the show may present.

14 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

So, Spurgie's paternal grandma didn't try to help coordinate the party either?  Oddness, considering she "spoils" him.  I'm surprised she didn't elbow Joy out of the way and just take over.  

This is a very contrived storyline.

I'm pretty sure Gramma Seewald threw him a real birthday party with all the other side of the family in her house. This is just for storyline. There's no way a first time grandmother lets someone throw him a shit party with only the Duggars present. 

@Dandruff I hadn't thought of it that way with Jim Bob and Gil. Makes sense. Do you think they're truly friends or they now interact only  because it is expected?

Re: I was playing out the scenarios in my mind but felt only a private office would work. She would be media fodder if she stepped into a Planned Parenthood just to use the bathroom let alone for BC. She would need a disguise and to use a fake name. Not sure if she could do the second nowadays.

@Million Children For Jesus

I think Jeremy would have an easier chance to get condoms than Jinger, BC. He could get a friend or family member to pick them up for him easily. 

If they're using condoms I commend them. It seems to be a common theme that married couples don't want to use physical barriers. The solution is usually for a woman to get on obc or NFP.

9 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I'm pretty sure Gramma Seewald threw him a real birthday party with all the other side of the family in her house. This is just for storyline. There's no way a first time grandmother lets someone throw him a shit party with only the Duggars present. 

IMHO, a family-only party is perfectly appropriate for a one year old. Both the Duggars and the Seewalds were there. Who else would they invite? I'm not sure what made that a shit party - it looked like a pretty standard child's birthday party to me. Homemade cake and ice cream (sorbet), streamers and balloons, a bounce house for the kids.

5 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

I just don't know where she would go to safely  pick up birth control. 

I work in a pharmacy. I'm under HIPAA to never disclose personal and health information. If she wanted birth control, she could get it anywhere. The same goes for doctors. If someone blabbed that she's taking it, she can sue them for releasing information like that without her permission.

PS: I totally responded without reading the rest of your post. Sorry! 

4 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

If they're using condoms I commend them. It seems to be a common theme that married couples don't want to use physical barriers. The solution is usually for a woman to get on obc or NFP.

It depends on the couple. Husband and I use both condoms and oral BC - we have for the vast majority of the almost ten years we've been a couple. The BC is more for a hormonal imbalance, but preventing another kid is an added bonus for now. The condoms are because husband is paranoid - we got pregnant immediately twice in a row, so it's not unreasonable paranoia. :pb_lol:

6 minutes ago, mpheels said:

IMHO, a family-only party is perfectly appropriate for a one year old. Both the Duggars and the Seewalds were there. Who else would they invite? I'm not sure what made that a shit party - it looked like a pretty standard child's birthday party to me. Homemade cake and ice cream (sorbet), streamers and balloons, a bounce house for the kids.

That's the type of party my nephew had in February, only they split it in two parts - their home is too small to have both families over at once. No bounce house though. The horror!!! :pb_lol:

(And its the type of party my daughter will have in December. No way am I going to kill myself planning a big, elaborate party she won't even remember. Give me good food, delicious cake, and some basic decorations. Maybe I'll get real crazy and pick a theme for the party too! Lol!)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived