Coconut Flan

I'm with the people who are saying that Spurgeon is displaying very typical toddler behavior and we've seen Jessa correcting him in a soft, loving way.  Sure, she could be smacking him with a ruler when the cameras aren't around, but I don't know if I can see that by the way jessa mothers.

Im actually very surprised that so many people are shocked to see a toddler acting like a toddler. Toddlers hit, kick, bite, scream, throw themselves to the ground, and whine. They have no other way of communicating that they are frustrated and, dang, it's gotta be frustrating to be a toddler. They want to do so many things that they aren't physically able to or aren't allowed to and don't understand why.

Also, I don't believe because parents don't post videos and pictures of their children having tantrums that they are somehow deceiving their followers. I think that's ridiculous. Do you share pictures of yourself crying from stress? Do you post updates about how depressed you are or that you've just had a blow out fight with your SO? Probably not because that's oversharing, but it doesn't mean that you are painting a false picture of your life. Some things are more private. Same  thing with toddlers. I don't get why Jessa has to share photos of her son having a meltdown to be considered authentic. 

I have to say that I liked Jessa this episode, as much as it pains me to say it. I also cried during the birth. I don't know what is wrong with me. 

I also felt for Ben during the birth. I don't think it was blood that made him queasy, but fear and worry for his wife.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, after watching how Jessa and Ben was dealing with Spurge, I am kinda convinced that they are NOT doing blanket training.  I sooooooooooo hope that is true!

That said, from what I saw of Israel, I think Jill and Derick are blanket training.  Booooo!!!!!

I figure that blanket training won't last generations each time it's applied. If you remember watching your siblings go through it, or the aftermath of it for yourself, or whatever other dippy controlling things they do to conquer the preschool mind instead of respecting and encouraging it, you are probably thinking you can find another way to get to the desired outcome you have in mind.

I realize that sounds optimistic, but all I really mean is that pretty much everyone wants to do some of the things their parents did, and avoid some of the other things. I'm sure my daughter who is a new mother and the one who will be in autumn have their lists; I certainly tried to correct my mom's laissez faire attitude toward teaching me how to do laundry and heavy cleaning, but will they decide I made them work too hard at times? They might!

I haven't seen any of the new season yet as I have already seen most of the wedding, Joe's engagement, etc. I've seen them shop for food and thrifty clothing. I would like to see a more outspoken Jana, that would be fun. I would also like to see her talk Ben down, why was he upset? 

10 minutes ago, CatchThatCow said:

I would also like to see her talk Ben down, why was he upset? 

Jessa had just given birth to Henry and was delivering the placenta. This was the moment where she had started to hemorrhage with Spurgeon, so Ben was stressed. Jana was talking to him and getting him to focus on Henry who he was holding, so he wouldn't be so queasy and stressed.  

Against my better judgement I'm watching the episode.... I should be doing work... here's my recap....

Part One- Three weeks and counting: 

The episode opens at Benessa's house. Spurgy is eating at the table and being cute. Jess's and Jill are going to listen to their babies heartbeats today! 

Jessa says pregnancy number 2 has gone by quickly, mostly because she has to chase Spurgy around. 

Jill asks no one in particular "you want to say hola! to the baby?" Izzy yells "hola baby!" Wow, Izzy knows as much Spanish as Jill & Dillweed Dirty Jesus. 

Jill reminds us she's pregnant. 

Jill uses the Doppler on Izzy's belly.... then she moves to the couch and Jana takes the Doppler. Jill covers up with a blanket- because modesty! Jana has difficulty finding Dilly #2's heartbeat because Jill isn't that far along. Jill takes the Doppler and immediately finds the heartbeat, because she is Jill and she's the bestest faux midwife/doula/whatever she is.... 

Jessa takes Jill's spot on the couch and covers up with the modesty blanket. It will be easier to find Baby Sewald #2's heartbeat because Jessa is further along. 

Jessa remembers Spurgy's birth- Ben is totally checked out in the talking head. I think he's thinking about tacos or something. 

Jill says Izzy doesn't really understand she has a baby in her belly- no Jill you have a baby in your uterus... not your belly. Jesus, you even had training and you still don't get that? I digress. Izzy points to Jessa's midsection and says "Baby!" Then points to Jana and she says "NO!" 

Quick flashback to Benessa's wedding- cause she can't believe it's only been 2 years! She loved their vows. We see them say their vows and run out of the church without kissing.... ah, Bingerman! 

Bin says Jessa made too much food when they got married cause, you know big family probs... also Jessa was a fast eater because growing up in her house if you didn't eat fast you didn't get seconds of the good stuff. You got like green beans. Bin is a slow eater. Bin just seems physically slow moving in general. Not just in the eating department. Not a lot of fast movement with that one. Jessa reminds us her Eggo was Prego four months into marriage. 

Bin says the Dilly's got to do a lot of stuff before the Sewald's... marriage, babies.... Flashback to the Dilly's giving the Sewald's advice on babies. Dillweed Dirty Jesus has Izzy in the air and tells Bin "Don't do this after they eat..." wow Dillweed, you're brilliant. I wish Izzy would have puked on him.... that would have been awesome! 

23 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Jessa had just given birth to Henry and was delivering the placenta. This was the moment where she had started to hemorrhage with Spurgeon, so Ben was stressed. Jana was talking to him and getting him to focus on Henry who he was holding, so he wouldn't be so queasy and stressed.  

Thank you, Carm_88. I didn't remember the bleeding that she had with Spurge, been a very long day.

1 minute ago, CatchThatCow said:

Thank you, Carm_88. I didn't remember the bleeding that she had with Spurge, been a very long day.

I'm going to be 100% honest, the only reason I remember it was because how creepy Michelle's call to 911 was. 

Part Two- Flipping houses with Jostin-AKA Austin cannot multitask 

We open at flip house number five. Not to be confused with Mombo #5. Great, now that freaking song will be stuck in my head all night. Joy has lost her pencil. Austin gives her his pencil. They're doing work on the house so they can get it o n the market soon. Austin's dad is the chaperone & helper today.

Joy thinks she and Austin will get married soon. Joy tells us she's helped Austin work on two other houses. Hmmmmm.... Austin says Joy is amazing and she's a fast learner. Joy is wearing a homemade bracelet with colorful beads that spell out Austin. How middle school of you, Joy. Sorry, I forgot this is your equivalent of a middle school crush, except you'll be married within 3-4 months. 

'Siah thinks the girls are getting married off quicker than the boys. Wow, what an astute observation there. One married brother, three married sisters. Those SOTDRT lessons sure paid off. 

Jostin realize they have screwed up the spacing on the tile. They try to decide what to do. Poppa Forsythe tells them to figure it out quickly before the thin set dries. Joy says the tile is messed up because they got distracted. Duh, you think? They decide to take up some of the tile and fix the spacing. Joy scrapes Austin with the trowel and he quotes Monty Python "It's only a flesh wound!" 

Everyone guesses how soon Jostin will get engaged. 

OMG these people are as exciting as watching paint dry. 

10 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I'm going to be 100% honest, the only reason I remember it was because how creepy Michelle's call to 911 was. 

I agree. Michelle just sounded odd. I'm more excited and agitated when I order delivery food. 

That 911 call was very weird. Going back to the child training, I remember watching a grainy YouTube video that I think was actually called "Michelle disciplines" and not a blanket in sight. She is speaking in her typical voice, gentle reprimands to keep still or be quiet. Oh my, I saw a video of somebody named Pearl and he had a cane and was demonstrating how to hit a child using a doll. Gave me the shivers. Horrible man.

7 minutes ago, divadivine said:

Joy scrapes Austin with the trowel and he quotes Monty Python "It's only a flesh wound!"

He quoted Monty Python? Gee.

Part Three- Scary House Hunting! 

Jill and Jessa are going to look at houses. Jill says the Dilly's need a home base to come back to when they're not in scary Sintral Murcia.  I guess the Guest House isn't good enough or perhaps won't be big enough when Dilly #2 arrives. Whatev's Jill... whatevs. Benessa have started looking at houses too because their house is small and #2 is going to make it seem smaller. Jessa mentions she likes having a smaller house.... but they will need more room as their family grows and as they foster or adopt. OMG Jessa you sit on a throne of lies!!!! Jesus is listening Jessa. He says you're a liar. 

JBoob tells the girls he just bought the Bennett a House up on the hill. They say it was Grandma Bennett's house. I think Grandma Bennett is the one who helped with laundry after DQ's laundry room meltdown. Anyhow, she raised her family in this big house and Boob just bought it. 

The house is dated. Jill asks "Why didn't we bring our husbands?" OMG Jill... a spider might get you! The house needs a lot of work. It looks like it has stone floors throughout and it has a huge indoor pool in the center of the house. The rooms look out onto the pool. The pool has spiders in it and it's empty. Jill says that part of the house needs to be condemned. Glad you're an engineer now, too Jill. Jessa says it's too much work and she doesn't want a pool, especially inside her house, with two young children. Izzy tries to get in the pool. They leave because it's just too much work! 

Part Four-Video Chat with Jinge! 

Its time to video chat with Jinge. We are reminded that Jinge has been married fir a few months and is living in Texas. 12 hours from the TTH and her family. This is the first time all the sisters have been able to video chat with her together. Jill immediately starts saying HOLA. Jesus, Jill, we get it, you have mastered the word hola! Congrats! Jinge says she can sort of navigate Laredo.  She can get to several places without her GPS, but if she's going somewhere new, she has the phone charged up and gets the map pulled up in the phone. Guess Jinge hasn't heard of a car charger, huh? Jinge says she misses everyone. Their house is quiet, not like the TTH. Jill asks if she's pregnant! Jinge doesn't know what to say  she's shocked. Jessa is appalled. The call seemed to be short. I don't think Jinge is missing  the TTH. She has Babe, freedom, pants, coffee, and a decent sized city. 

Seriously why did Boob buy that monstrosity. It looks like a money and death trap. It was really a bizarre house. Idk what he thinks hes going to do with that thing. 

23 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

He quoted Monty Python? Gee.

Call me when he quotes something about spanking and oral sex!

9 minutes ago, MsSaylor said:

Seriously why did Boob buy that monstrosity. It looks like a money and death trap. It was really a bizarre house. Idk what he thinks hes going to do with that thing. 

I haven't seen the episode, but presumably he wanted to help "Grandma" Bennett out after all she's done for them.

Part Five-Getting ready for Baby-AKA throw a bunch of stuff in a box 

Benessa claim they haven't focused too much on naming baby #2. I think this means Jessa told Ben "we're not giving this one some crazy ass first name like Spurgy." They've had one discussion and they're not doing a letter theme. 

Dillweed Dirty Jesus says "100% of our kids are named after countries. Maybe we will go with that theme? Turkey, Nepal, Everest... ummmm, Everest is not a country DDJ.... I can't with him. The rest of the family make bets as to how long it will take Benessa to reveal the name. 

Jana is over at the tiny Sewald house and they start getting the birth kit together.  Other family members talk about what you'd need in a birth kit. Bulb Syringe, blankets, towels, diapers for the baby... Ben says the birth kit needs more snacks. Ben is basically Shaggy.... he's stoned and has the munchies. 

Jessa is pulling out stuff from rando places. Her heating pad was in a cabinet above the refrigerator. WTF? For spending her youth preparing to be a keeper at home, Jessa (the once family organizer and packer, can't keep her stuff together. I think you failed that Wisdom Book, Jess. Sorry. Better luck next time. 

They show Spurgy's birth, the days of contractions, laboring, sweating, the blood, MEchelles robotic 911 call, the ambulance ride. Jessa says she will have a bag ready just in case she needs to go to the hospital.  

18 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Anybody else feel a little hope that Jana might have a special someone?

YES! 

I realize by now that TLC will do anything to make us believe that Jana, or any other single Duggar is in a relationship, but why else would she admit on television that she had told a secret? And the way Joy laughed when the question of a boyfriend came up was also pretty telling. If Jana is NOT in some kind of pre-courtship it would be a pretty shitty thing to laugh at.

Here's a link to the scene for those who didn't watch: http://keepingupwithfundies.tumblr.com/post/162328579756/teasing-or-not-annie

Guys, Michelle pretty much did everything right on that 911 call. For your own reference, if you ever have to call 911, you should try to speak as calmly and clearly as possible. I understand that in an emergency that can be difficult, but Michelle did a great job. Screaming or crying is not going to get your loved one help any faster. 

Also, Michelle's 'creepy' calm voice in emergencies is not something I'm going to criticize her for. I'm sure she's learned from experience that staying calm (or at least pretending to stay calm) seriously helps to de-escalate the situation. 

19 minutes ago, Antipatriarch said:

Call me when he quotes something about spanking and oral sex!

Oh lawks  - I now have the reversioned  "every sperm is sacred" featuring the duggars et al playing in my head!

Part Six- Baby Shower by Sierra, faux party planner

Today is Jessa's baby shower. But she doesn't want a bunch of gender neutral shit stuff, so she's asked 100-150 of her closest gal pals to bring gifts for Loving Choices a charity that helps mothers in need. Wow Jessa, you have such a big heart.... not really,  it's just a story line. Also, they didn't ask for RSVP's so they don't know how many people are really coming to the party.  Geniuses. Fucking genuises. 

Sierra brings a shit ton of stuff to the TTH. She says they need to finish all the decorations and cook the food for the party. They have a crew there to help. The theme is a "SHOWER!" OMFG, Sierra, you're a fucking genius! Sierra tells everyone the plan and gives out jobs. She wants clouds (in gender neutral colors since Benessa won't tell the gender) sewn to hang up. She says she doesn't even know how to plug in the sewing machine. Jana wanted to stab her. 

Josie, the miracle child, stops to give her two cents. Thanks Josie. Go away or do work. Suddenly it's less than 2 hours until the shower starts and OMG! Get decorations aren't done and the food hasn't been cooked. Except the ginormous cookie cake. Cause Jessa hates real cake. 

Sierra shifts everyone into overdrive. Josie asks why Sierra is making so much soup... all while her dirty ass feet and butt are on the counter. OMG, these kids are feral. Mason Jar cupcakes are being made. Joy and Sierra snack on fruit instead of work. Sierra says all Joy thinks about is Austin. Sierra tells Joy to put her hair up if she's going to be around food prep. Sierra spontaneously decides to make brownies, using Crisco...WTF? She knows Jessa likes brownies, she made these for her reception. She knows the recipe by heart because it was her grandma's. 

45 minutes to party time and they're not done with anything! Suddenly Joy smells smoke!!!!! OMG is it a fire? They walk into the "hot kitchen" and they see smoke. Sierra preheated the industrial oven and whatever the Duggarlings spilled in the oven before (Jana says "Thus happened last night, too. Just open the windows and doors and hope it airs out!") is now "burning off". WTAF? These people are feral. Joy tells Sierra to use the oven in the pretty kitchen cause the guests will be there soon.

The guests start to arrive and Sierra puts them to work. Sierra says you can always count on people to help you get everything done. I can't with her....

Jessa arrives she loves the decorations and the cookie cake! They all talk about babies. Gag. But if that's your purpose in life.... Joy says "My three older sisters and I could be pregnant at the same time." #DuggarDaughterGoals 

Jessa goes through the food line and says "We're using the fine China!" That would be the fancier paper plates. They make gift bags for the mothers at Loving Choices and pray for SeSpawn #2.

Only 60 people showed up for the party. Sierra says it was a success. Sierra is a stupid ass faux party planner.  

When Tabitha was working for the Duggar's, we assume that she was for JD also and she later married someone else. Maybe Laura is hoping to get similar luck as Tabitha? Get her on tv or Duggar's social media because of fame to throw a wider net in the dating pool, so to speak.

54 minutes ago, divadivine said:

JBoob tells the girls he just bought the Bennett a House up on the hill.

Oh, they have a neighbor named Bennett? I was wondering why people were talking about Pride and Prejudice last night.

15 minutes ago, divadivine said:

Only 60 people showed up for the party.

I thought the count was 16, not 60....

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived