IGNORED

Stockdale family murders

JermajestyDuggar

Although this family has not been talked about on FJ, they seem to be a small fundie family with a Blue Grass Band that appeared on Wife Swap around 10 years ago. The family is made up of 4 sons all now adults. The family has a farm they've lived on since 1999. They homeschooled their children and kept strict rules about dating (according to wife swap). The two youngest play in the family band with dad. The two oldest have their own adult lives (one with a family and the other in college).

Yesterday police received a Hangup 911 call From their house and went to investigate. They found the 3 people shot (mom and two youngest sons). It's believed the 3rd son shot the mother and youngest brother and then shot himself. Mom and little brother have died and the shooter is in the hospital. No one else was home at the time. 

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170615/stockdale-family-shooting-sheriff-says-brother-killed-sibling-mother/1

http://stockdalefamilyband.com/

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow it will be interesting if the shooter lives and tells why he did this horrific crime.

The most interesting thing about this family and many other fundie families (like the Duggars) is that they are constantly talking about outside influences and protecting their children from the outside world. 

Yet the most danger ends up being inside the family. In both families it was another family member that was the most danger. Not TV or video games or public school.

If you look at the family manual you see lots of fundie hallmarks. So I'm sure they knew some of the other fundie families we talk about. And it seems mom ruled the home. 

Lots of hidden stuff in those family bands. My family was a musical band family. Overall we were relatively normal in our circle but a lot of the other families were batshit crazy. 

Just had a read through that manual - it just looped and looped and looped around the same themes with some things contradicting other things ... It was chilling.

Nothing excuses murder. But the manual almost reads like an excuse, a plea for help.

God, that life sounds so incredibly boring. Eat, chores, eat, chores, eat, music, sleep.

No friends, no outside influences. I can't imagine it. What happened is a tragedy, but there's no way someone struggling with any kind of mental illness would've been able to get help in that environment. 

A family member of mine saw them play recently and said Jacob (the murderer) was an amazing fiddler. I think he won a big contest at some point for fiddling. 

I remember this wife swap episode. The  boys were so happy to go on a date and have video games, but we're scared of what dad would do if they acted too excited about it. They said they wanted to date again, but when the swap was over they went back to towing the line. It was a sad episode. There's no excuse for murder, but he probably just snapped under the pressure of having to live like that and no one knows what they truly had to live with. 

This is all speculation but I always wonder about fundie adult males stillliving at home and still being treated like children. It's expected for the females since they will always be under someone's power but what about the sons? They grow up thinking that one day they will be leaders of a household. These two sons were legal adults making their own money in a band that seemed to be pretty good. It makes me wonder about them wanting more freedom and autonomy. Which is completely understandable as a young adult. I always wonder how hard it is for each set of fundie parents to finally give up control once their longest children are grown. We've seen how hard it is for the Penningtons and Jeubs. 

I read through the Wife Swap manual. Oh my gosh, control, control, control... The boys couldn't chose one thing for themselves. The mom controlled absolutely everything: their behavior, attitude, food, clothing, education, work, chores, daily schedule, activitities. How dehumanizing! They had no free agency to determine anything about themselves for themselves. I can see how this poor kid was lead to shoot them and himself. 

God, that life sounds so incredibly boring. Eat, chores, eat, chores, eat, music, sleep.

No friends, no outside influences. I can't imagine it. What happened is a tragedy, but there's no way someone struggling with any kind of mental illness would've been able to get help in that environment. 

I bet they'd get along great with the Maxwells. Assuming that the music is deemed holy enough.

That's why I insist on giving the boys a spoonful of cod liver oil every dinner time

That right there would be enough to push most normal people into flaming rebellion.

ETA: Quoted from the wife swap manual.

Seems weird to me that fundies would go on Wife Swap. I've never watched it or anything but with the cotrolling husbands most fundie women have it just doesn't seem like most would be allowed.

15 minutes ago, funyuns_and_fundies said:

Seems weird to me that fundies would go on Wife Swap. I've never watched it or anything but with the cotrolling husbands most fundie women have it just doesn't seem like most would be allowed.

My guess is that it was primarily about the money and secondarily an opportunity to try to convert others to their lifestyle.

"Our boys know what they are supposed to be doing from sun-up to sun-down." (from the manual)  When were they ever allowed to be children? Free play and unstructured time is essential for proper development.

18 minutes ago, funyuns_and_fundies said:

Austin Forsythes family went on a reality show about their family (World's strictest parents) and then of course there are all the fundies with shows (Duggars, Bates, etc). I feel like these fundies are so strong in their beliefs and think they are so perfect and so right that they want to display it and possibly suck some others into their ways (and of course the money!)

The eldest Stockwell boy is married with at least one child.

The second son(?) is/was at graduate school studying chemistry.

Sorry, being a true Dinosaur I can't post anything on my phone. I googled the family band. There is a short bio about the boys and their Dad. The Mum wrote it I suspect. Same tone as the family manual.

A blueberry mustard shake? Interesting combination.

This is a tragedy, and I'm surprised there's not more in fundie land.

This is so very, very sad. 

I suspect, with good reason, that many of these fundy families  withdraw into their own sequestered world for control and control only, while hiding under cover of religion. Many start ministries, but they are rotten at the center.  They would swear till their dying day that they love God, love Jesus and love their children, but they only love control.  When that control comes with extremes of physical discipline....

ETA: Intrigued that one son is in grad school, meaning a 4-year college degree first. I'd love to know if he had to strike out on his own or if the parents supported his attending college. 

ETAA: Just read this from a Cleveland TV station post:

The Stockdales also home-schooled their sons in order to “control their influences.”

“It’s important we have control over their character and education,” their mother said in a clip of the show.

I read where they said the parents met at college. They were both studying agriculture. They said they were ok with college but they weren't paying for it and they (like so many fundies) believe in entrepreneurialship is the best option.  

8 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

Is it possible for anyone with non-dinosaur tech talent to post the wife-swap video or part of it?

I'm also bad with posting videos :-( sorry

I am mad I read the whole manual and wanted more. Wow, that made the Maxwell family seem like hardcore party people. The whole thing is confusing. She starts school at 10am but after an hour the boys go start their chores? She never says they do any more schooling for the day other than debate no music. So they get one hour of school a date but one made it to college? Also, if the boys are not allowed to date until they are ready, yet are not allowed out of the house other than debate, how do they find wives? Did the married brother find a wife at debate? Anyone else think mom, not dad, was the head of that household? I get the idea that if they can keep their kids controlled and busy 24/7, the kids won't have time think about the insanity of their lives. 

I don't agree with murder but I hope the son is given some type of mental evaluation because it's possible the stress of this lifestyle just broke him. I can see someone having a mental break in this situation. 

The family manual was horrifying and so sad at the same time.  Mom controlled every second of the boys' lives.  I can see how that might make someone snap.  Some of her sample menus look awful -- Gizzards for breakfast? Dairy and water kefir with flax seeds?  Sardines on toast with mustard? Cod liver oil every night?

What I found most odd was the nutritional/ digestive supplements for everyone every day at every meal -- especially since Mom wouldn't shut up about the wholesome, nutritious meals she makes 3 times a day. If I read "wholesome" one more time I was going to scream.

I noticed that other than corn, salad, sauerkraut, and sometimes tomatoes there were no other vegetable in their diet. It also seems Mom has a set menu every day of the week, repeated week after week, Again control, control, control,

And then the bombshell that they do one hour of home school a day -- One hour!  and then it's off to chores.

If their life had been my life, I would have run away so far and so fast.  It's tragic that Jacob (the shooter) seems to have felt his action was the only answer to .... something.

I read the entire manual and feel SO bad for those kids.  All of them.  Maybe even more than for the Rod kids...which is an astounding thought.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived