IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Switzerland to the Backwoods of Arkansas

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, freejoy said:

The episode reminded me again that they are all so young and making these huge decisions because it is expected from them. Take all the glamour away and I see a 19-year-old kidult experiencing her first love and she thinks first love equals the one equals best friend forever equals match made in heaven.

It's insane to expect a fucking TEENAGER to choose their permanent life partner.  

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@mpheels thank you for explaining the weather situation in Southern US, it makes it easier for me to understand. However, personally,  I still can't imagine walking barefoot outside :-) I think I would always carry a pair of flipflops with me in that climate, or (probably even better) water shoes like these:

Spoiler

water shoes.jpg

11 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Washing extremities was common but to actually bathe, no. I could go on for days and days about hygiene in our history, Hygiene as we know it is NOT how it has been practiced throughout history. It wasn't until the invention of our modern plumbing  and running water along with electricity, that we would eventually start to bathe on the regular.  Only in the last 70 or so years have humans started to bathe on a regular basis.. 

I have read something about Vikings bathing every Saturday.

Roman baths would also be popular wherever they spread out. Turkish baths too, at a later date. Medieval Europe is another story, the Europe after Romans.

Bathing was not done as often as we do perhaps, and mostly not with soap, but in certain parts of the world it was a little bit more common than we expect. Perhaps by getting into a hot little tub, rubbing the body with oil and then scraping the dirt off with clay. I prefer my L'Occitane shower gel or pure olive oil or white soap we use in hammams at home, thanks. I really need a scrubbing and massage session now.

I don't think Joy's dress was flattering on Joy- much like Jill's wasn't flattering after the modesty alterations were made. 

The dress^ is not flattering on Joy. The dress in the window with the sheer back is pretty. I would like to see the front of it.

I don't like most wedding dresses.

I did love the dress that one of our member's daughter wore that was posted not too long ago (maybe Coconut Flan?)

11 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Washing extremities was common but to actually bathe, no. I could go on for days and days about hygiene in our history, Hygiene as we know it is NOT how it has been practiced throughout history. It wasn't until the invention of our modern plumbing  and running water along with electricity, that we would eventually start to bathe on the regular.  Only in the last 70 or so years have humans started to bathe on a regular basis.. 

In this situation, whose history is "ours"?  Europeans were certainly not the most hygienic folks, but that wasn't where Jesus was hanging out.  Those who follow the Torah have long had an obligation to ritually immerse themselves in water for a variety of reasons.  No one is claiming they had running water in homes, but shared bathhouses within the community? Absolutely.   They are still finding old baths and aqueducts in Israel: https://www.livescience.com/51414-ancient-bath-under-floor-jerusalem.html   

I thought it was a nice dress but I couldn't keep from noticing the seam/line where the top part of the dress met the bottom part. If that makes any sense. My eyes kept going to it. It just seemed like two different dresses sewn together to me. Jessa's dress had that blush sash thing around the middle and I feel Joy's could've used a small sash with hers as well. Jinger's dress on the other hand was seamless to me. It felt like one complete dress. 

Joy has had all the joy beaten out of her. The girl she was in that wedding was nothing like Joy from even a year ago. She's well and truly drunk on the Kool aid. She's this generations Michelle. Her mannerisms are an exact copy and that voice! 

She should be on a gap year trip to Switzerland, not her honeymoon. 

I reeeeally hope the reason Joy and Austin couldn't stay at their wedding reception was because they had a flight to Europe to catch the next morning, but who the fuck am I kidding? :my_sick:

12 hours ago, Cheetah said:

My daughter goes to college in Oregon.  It rains quite a lot over the winter.  Her freshman roommate dealt with the wet shoe problem by just not wearing shoes very often.  Sounds quite cold and a bit muddy to me, but I guess wet sneakers aren't really all that much more comfy.

Just wear wellies, take dry shoes in bag, then change on arrival at destination? 

2 hours ago, BemusedByFundamentalism said:

@mpheels thank you for explaining the weather situation in Southern US, it makes it easier for me to understand. However, personally,  I still can't imagine walking barefoot outside :-) I think I would always carry a pair of flipflops with me in that climate, or (probably even better) water shoes like these:

Hide contents

water shoes.jpg

Where can I find these shoes??

2 hours ago, mpheels said:

I used to do the same in Chapel Hill, both as a student and later as a staff member. I stopped going barefoot when I moved to Baltimore.

These are Chapel Hill's finest! It's not just rain though. They NEVER wear shoes. It's a naturalist thing? And there are tons of them. Franklin Street sidewalks, Smith Center bathrooms - they don't care! It horrifies me. I take photos and send to my kids who are in grad/law school. I am sure they are terrified I will approach one of these shoeless hipsters with my many questions! 

sn--- when Joy said she wears whatever Austin likes now , it reminded me of that scene from coming to America when Eddie Murphy asked his bethroned what kind of music or food does she like and she kept saying "whatever food you like."

37 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

Walmart! (if you're USA?)

50 minutes ago, TeamDefraudinSquad said:

I reeeeally hope the reason Joy and Austin couldn't stay at their wedding reception was because they had a flight to Europe to catch the next morning, but who the fuck am I kidding? :my_sick:

Not likely. They went on a mini honeymoon before they left for Europe. Just to burst your bubble a little more! 

54 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

They are also called reef shoes. Very useful on bouncing on big pebbles and rocks at the beach and also, sailing. Crocs and jelly shoes are great too, but I prefer reef shoes as they do not slip on wet surfaces, even while climbing mossy rocks. Decathlon in Europe sells them but not sure about the US.

@mpheels: Best not to walk barefoot in Baltimore, ever. If you don't find broken glass from bottles, ripped up aluminum cans, you'll find used syringes and needles. Keep the shoes on!

So since I was little, I never liked my feet bare or touching the floor (and each other) unless it's for something really quick. Like I'm weird because I don't mind other people's feet but I really don't like my feet (unless I'm painting my nails).

People washed themselves throughout all times, but never to the extent we do now. And regular access to washing facilities have never been open to everyone then. Just think about it- 50 years ago a lot of children still got one bath per week in the Western world. Hands, feet etc.  would have been cleaned on a daily basis but it was still not like a quick shower every day. And don't get me starting on oral hygiene. I am really grateful for all the development that happened till today.

water shoes.jpg

In Canada we call these shoes "aqua socks". Handy for walking on barnacle or pebbly beaches!

I live in BC, and even in the summer here most people would not dare go barefoot anywhere (well, except maybe parks or beaches) especially not at school or in the workplace. I work in a pretty casual office too, and on cold days in the winter I wear hard soled loafer style slippers while I'm at work all day, because it rains here a TONNE and it's not always so comfortable to wear your outdoor boots all day. But if anyone showed up at work barefoot I think we would all wonder if they lost their marbles.

We would be sent home if we tried to go to school without shoes, without question. Likewise, no one goes into stores without proper footwear either.

Is it a Southern thing that it's okay to go barefoot? Is it something young people do until they grow out of it, or is it a thing that people of all ages do?

What do yaaall think? Is Joy still able to be freed or do I need to change my username?

Just watched the wedding episode and since Joy as officially kissed, is there any hope? :-O

I actally think there might be some hope for Joy. The next few months will tell. 

BCF if you're in Australia.

They're also excellent for snorkeling. I try never to touch coral or the reef when I'm in the water, but in some places (Vanuatu, Fiji) you have to get past all the dead reef :( before you see anything. These shoes stop injuries if you need to put your feet on dead coral, which slices your feet up really badly. 

I see a lot of people have already answered :-)
When I looked for an image of these type of shoes to attach to my post, I just typed "water shoes" in the google search bar. So if you do so too, you will find some links with webshops selling them. I saw that amazon sells them too. 
Where I live (The Netherlands) you will find these type of shoes typically in summer months in budget friendly shoe stores, or in shops that sell sports stuff. 

Hodge-podge dresses are HARD to make work because you're jamming together bits and pieces that were never designed to go together.  It's nearly impossible to make them work well in a short span of time.  Joy's dress looked exactly how I would expect a patchwork dress completed in a matter of weeks to look.  And that's...not the best.  

It's typical Duggar schtick: instead of TAKING THE TIME to do something RIGHT, including the time and expense needed, they rush and cheap out and cut every corner.  That doesn't give you good results, and I think many of the wedding dresses that were slapped together show that.  

Joy really is so pretty, and I'm glad that she looked happy in her dress (not glad she's gotten married at 19), but yeah...her dress looked so thrown together. Someone on Tumblr described it as the "Taobao knockoff of Jinger's dress", which I found a little harsh, but I agree that the dress looks cheap and doesn't show off Joy's beauty or personality. But that's the Duggar way.

They are in Switzerland for their honeymoon? Way to pick the most expensive holiday you can get I guess?! But it is beautiful. I visited a friend last year in Interlaken (where Joy and Austin are probably staying right now, they mentionned it in the video). I've also been to the US and I must say, why go as far as Switzerland when you can have the same scenery in the Rocky mountains? Venice, Rome, Paris, I understand, but leaving the country for... mountains, when you have EVERYTHING there? I loved the US, almost every landscape and climate zone is within the country. If I had grown up there I would not leave my country as frequently as I do now.

If TLC is footing the bill then why not go to an expensive countrry? 

I'm an American and I visit Colorado every other year (husband's family lives out there) I've always wanted to visit Switzerland! The mountains are a big draw but also the food.  If you enjoy hiking and being outdoors (which it sounds like Austin does) you know it's not like all mountains are the same just like cities are different 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived